Thulean Feat Update

Swgrclan

Basis

Thuleanism’s original lore [https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/153194-%E2%9C%93-thulean-druidism-the-fury-in-nature/?tab=comments#comment-1447104] was written without defined teaching guidelines and moderation methods, so in order to prevent an uncontrollable situation from sprouting up where the method becomes something like a “pass-around magic” and where the undefined teaching parameters make way for either intentional or unintentional abuse, a set of potential rules will be presented here while being split into the sections “Teaching” and “Moderation”.

Teaching

• In order for a Thulean to teach another Druid Thuleanism, they must first be at least T4 in both Blood Magic and Druidism, and the student must be at least T3 in both Blood Magic and Druidism.

• Thuleanism will be defined as a magical feat which is applied for after reaching these parameters.

Moderation

• The Thulean Feat is able to be forcibly removed from a Druid who had been approved for its use if the disconnector in question is T5 in both Blood Magic and Druidism. This is not a ritual or process that requires a dedicated lesson from a teacher, but rather an automatic attribute gained upon reached T5 in both magical fields while being approved for the Feat.

• Upon being banished from Thuleanism’s use, there is a time gap of 3 IRL months before it can be relearned through another Thulean and approved as an application.

• Revocation of Thuleanism demands a Blood Magic oriented ritual that can be roleplayed up to the conductor’s discretion. The subject must be either forcibly bound into the ritual circle or knocked unconscious throughout the entire procedure.

Until further notice, this is all that appears necessary.

Why do you feel that thulean druidism, in its current condition, should remain a magic? Low numbers, people refusing to spread it, turmoil caused when people do try and spread it, et cetera. And tossing disconnection into the mix only seems like you want to control who gets it even further. Overall, it seems like a pocket magic at this point that has had its potential squandered and we shouldn't be allowing for such things to keep existing.

Ah yes - precisely what we need in terms of magics. More impossible to access, yet ridiculously powerful abilities that are only shared by the same group of circlejerking buddies. Very nice touch.

You know it's bad when I ACTUALLY AGREE with Flamm on something. Yes, you can run around in circles and scream everyone.

12 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

Why do you feel that thulean druidism, in its current condition, should remain a magic? Low numbers, people refusing to spread it, turmoil caused when people do try and spread it, et cetera. And tossing disconnection into the mix only seems like you want to control who gets it even further. Overall, it seems like a pocket magic at this point that has had its potential squandered and we shouldn't be allowing for such things to keep existing.

First of all, it's not a magic -- it's two magics being used together, but only brought into a more detailed fold as to ensure that there's an identity surrounding the combination of Druidism and Blood Magic. Considering the context of its very origin, those who were entrusted with it, and what parameters are needed in the first place to learn it, of course its numbers are low; they have been low, intentionally, because it has been a set of abilities consistently moderated and controlled purely through trust on an IC basis. Am I obligated to spread this to 15 different people for the sake of spreading it? Of course not. Have I ever planned to keep it confined to a handful of people? No, but it's remained that way because the group controlling it has been explicitly selective and careful in the proceedings in teaching new people. I even had formed a nice following of around five people, but because of in character events and a general preoccupation with real life they were not able to be brought into the fold.

I'm not sure what context you're presenting in saying it's "squandered", but it's probably the worst time to have suggested that, because Thuleanism has just been used to kickstart an eventline that has the potential to bring about a great deal of roleplay, and that roleplay preceding the start of this story arc had all been conducted with the use of Thuleanism.

10 minutes ago, Loriens said:

Ah yes - precisely what we need in terms of magics. More impossible to access, yet ridiculously powerful abilities that are only shared by the same group of circlejerking buddies. Very nice touch.

I do not owe anyone, especially people who don't know what they're talking about, access to something thats gained through roleplay alone. Bending to some kind of arbitrary idea where something rare must absolutely have a consistent and plentiful is spineless and would lead to the same problems that this proposal intends to fix in the first place, especially since it's not even a magic in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Loriens said:

That's actually a very concerning point, Necromancy had this same method of operating and look at how that turned out. Circlejerking magic only works for so long, as soon as someone with a TA get's bored the circlejerk loses any of its power and things go nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Swgrclan said:

I do not owe anyone, especially people who don't know what they're talking about, access to something thats gained through roleplay alone. Bending to some kind of arbitrary idea where something rare must absolutely have a consistent and plentiful is spineless and would lead to the same problems that this proposal intends to fix in the first place, especially since it's not even a magic in the first place.

You do you. Elitism always ends well.

giphy.gif

Just now, Swgrclan said:

access to something thats gained through roleplay alone

And yet, you are trying to make a veiled attempt at blocking individuals who have been gaining it through roleplay, masquerading it as 'not wanting it to become a pass-around magic', when everyone knows learning blood magic is one of the hardest magics in the entire server to get your hands on, so the very concept of it being that is laughable at best.

3 minutes ago, Loriens said:

I'm living proof of that.. Just ask Parkins.

It still confuses me why people believe everything should be spread around and made to be overly used and for  the public. Why can’t something be unique and rare, and not wide spread? Have either or anyone for that matter try to approach either Cam or mitto for the use of the magic through role play means or just complained oocly that it’s circle jerked? Believe me if there was anyone who’d teach something if you actually approached them and role played with them to learn it’d be those two, hell cam even tried to give clerics blood magic before. But no let’s make everything free use to preserve people’s fun and so that everyone can be special.

1 minute ago, Swgrclan said:

I will set this in clear terms, this feat seems like an attempts to remvoe those whom do not agree with your ways of thinking from the ability in itself. If you are regarding me where you state "That is only gained through roleplay" this in fact did occur. In which @mitto can confirm within himself. Such magic cannot be kept close knit for you to pick and choose favorites of whom does and does not gain the knowledge or ability to learn such magic. You are perfectly highlighting why Thuleanism is frowned upon in many regards, the concept in itself is highly interesting to obtain and study but your attitude makes the magic seem poorly implemented. 

4 minutes ago, Sky said:

And yet, you are trying to make a veiled attempt at blocking individuals who have been gaining it through roleplay, masquerading it as 'not wanting it to become a pass-around magic', when everyone knows learning blood magic is one of the hardest magics in the entire server to get your hands on, so the very concept of it being that is laughable at best.

I agree, blood magic is something that isn't passed around because it's simply too powerful. It needs serious attention since you can quite literally blood bend people's limbs and shizz while turning a fireball the size of a cannonball into a fireball the size of a boulder. It may take quite a few emotes to do, but it's still very powerful.

8 minutes ago, Lynx said:

It still confuses me why people believe everything should be spread around and made to be overly used and for  the public. Why can’t something be unique and rare, and not wide spread? Have either or anyone for that matter try to approach either Cam or mitto for the use of the magic through role play means or just complained oocly that it’s circle jerked? Believe me if there was anyone who’d teach something if you actually approached them and role played with them to learn it’d be those two, hell cam even tried to give clerics blood magic before. But no let’s make everything free use to preserve people’s fun and so that everyone can be special.

If it's "unique and rare" to the point where only a few people on the server have it we'll run into the issue where those three people can easily power-game it and use the lore they have to approve of such. Sure, the quality of the RP might be high but the end result is that a group of PVP goons will always just PVP them rather then RP with them as they won't put up with the OP magic RP. It's horrible for both sides involved and can be seen as a power trip to people outside of that clique. That's not to say magic should be common, it is to say it should be weak and be used for supportive roles during RP. 

17 minutes ago, Loriens said:

giphy.gif

I'm not digging your high horse, big guy.

17 minutes ago, Sky said:

No, recent events surrounding Thuleanism in general had only incentivized me to get around to writing this -- because when you're presented with a situation where certain individuals cannot actually be stopped in weaving themselves into the group that exists to preserve the subject in question (Thuleanism), to the point where even murdering them is ineffective (redundant monk rules), having something like Thuleanism being loose and free doesn't go so well because conventional means to keep it as secret and coveted as it has been the past three years don't even work in the first place. So rather than letting the risk of Thuleanism being turned into, as I stated, a pass-around-magic equivalent, I'm suggesting these relatively forgiving terms to prevent that.

13 minutes ago, TorkoalTom said:

I will set this in clear terms, this feat seems like an attempts to remvoe those whom do not agree with your ways of thinking from the ability in itself. If you are regarding me where you state "That is only gained through roleplay" this in fact did occur. In which @mitto can confirm within himself. Such magic cannot be kept close knit for you to pick and choose favorites of whom does and does not gain the knowledge or ability to learn such magic. You are perfectly highlighting why Thuleanism is frowned upon in many regards, the concept in itself is highly interesting to obtain and study but your attitude makes the magic seem poorly implemented. 

Mitto is someone who would be receiving the means to moderate the Feat, this is not just something I'll be touting around myself. I think I made it pretty clear what kind of people I want handling Thuleanism, Torkoal, and it's not people who cling to babying revival rules so that they can continue to make an effort to join into the thing they were killed to keep them out of IC in the first place. When I told you that PKing your character would have been a better route to take than doing what you have been, I also mentioned in regards to our event-related squabbling that you could attend everything resultant of Quillian's sacrifice on another character -- and that's the very same thing you could have done instead of sticking to your guns and casting consistency to the wind in order to get something you wanted. If another character of yours eventually became involved with the group controlling this method, and they didn't **** up that time around, then the situation would not be as unpleasant as it is.

10 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

I agree, blood magic is something that isn't passed around because it's simply too powerful. It needs serious attention since you can quite literally blood bend people's limbs and shizz while turning a fireball the size of a cannonball into a fireball the size of a boulder. It may take quite a few emotes to do, but it's still very powerful.

If it's "unique and rare" to the point where only a few people on the server have it we'll run into the issue where those three people can easily power-game it and use the lore they have to approve of such. Sure, the quality of the RP might be high but the end result is that a group of PVP goons will always just PVP them rather then RP with them as they won't put up with the OP magic RP. It's horrible for both sides involved and can be seen as a power trip to people outside of that clique. That's not to say magic should be common, it is to say it should be weak and be used for supportive roles during RP. 

This magic can be very much a supportive or purely rp role to be fair if you actually read it. It all depends what sub type of Druidism you use, it’s mix with herblore is a very good example of such. But then being just pvp is a server issue and not a lore issue, as well as I have stated if anyone actually tried to role play with the two they’d find it much more easier to grasp then just complaining oocly and ruining a good magic like they have many other. But that has and always will be my thought on the matter, but hey I’m just used to heavily monitored role play and things being more closed off unless worked for to achieve.