[✗] Formerly The Xoatol

Viltaren

I am no longer presenting this lore for Slothtastic but rather as my own lore to be developed.
This means that most of this lore will be rewritten and developed with its own unique ideas separate of Slothtastic's creations.
I will keep this post up so people are free to criticise it and make comment, including the LT.
I welcome any and all criticisms as stated several times. 

TO BE ABUNDANTLY CLEAR, I IN NO WAY INTEND TO HAVE THIS LORE SUBMITTED AS MY OWN.

The Xoatol
(Z-Oh-Ah-Toll)
(Meaning 'Ancient People' in their language.)

The Humanoid Lizardmen of Atlas’ swamp.

Appearance:
The Lizardfolk of the Swamps come in many different forms. Some are small, and some are tall.  They come in shades of blue, brown, green, black, grey, yellow, and even sometimes red. There are two common breeds of Xoatol. There are the smaller, weaker kind which serve as priests and craftsman, but can also find their way as expendable soldiers. They are known as the Lemah, and grow from about 5’0”-6’0. Then there is the bigger, stronger ones which serve as soldiers and laborers. They grow from 6’0”-7’10” and are known as the Muuk. All Xoatol have a thick, flat skull, which can grow spikes, spines, and fins with webs between them. The Xoatol have long, thick tails that also have small spines growing from them as well. The Xoatol only have four toes, three in the front, one in the back. All have sharp talons capable of cutting through the thick hide found on some beasts, with sharpened metal claws (a common fashion statement) being able to cut through cured leather. The Xoatol race varies wildly in its outer appearance, ranging from salamander like to alligator-esque beasts.

Lifespan:

Spoiler

The Xoatol live up to 120 years old, and hit their prime in their 30s, in a similar fashion to humans in their 20s. As they age the Xoatol get grayish stripes on their backs, faces, and chest. These occur in random patterns, similar to greying hair. Typically the older the Xoatol, the more they are valued as advisors and instructors. Their age is seen as denoting wisdom others do not have. Some even serve in battles, providing leadership or as elite experienced warriors.

Birthing and Procreating:

Spoiler

Like the Orcs, the Xoatol breed for the future. Not for pleasure. Which is why many times Xoatol have selective breeding. Meaning that a strong or high ranking Male Xoatol would breed with a strong or high ranking female. A few days after breeding, the female would lay eggs (4-6)  in a Spawning Pool, a shallow pit of water dug in caves underneath the city. The mother will take care of the eggs, and provide for them when they are children. The way to distinguish a smaller breed of Xoatol from a larger breed is by the way the egg is shaped. If it is soft and small it is the smaller breed. If the egg is larger, and more hardened it is the larger breed. The OOC way to determine if the breed is smaller or larger is by rolling if desired. 1-10 is the smaller breed, and 11-20 is the larger breed. As both breeds carry the genes for Large and Small Outcomes.

Technology:

Spoiler

The Xoatol are proficient in herbal medicine, after centuries of studying themselves and the plants of their native swamps. They developed cures, poisons, and antidotes for the diseases and poisons they encountered. The Xoatol have weapons made from iron and low quality steel, however most use large wooden board-like weapons with obsidian, iron, steel, or even gold plates, wedged into the side of the boards. Most of their armor is light-weight, consisting of mainly leather, ivory, and small misshapen plates of gold, iron or steel to pull it all together.

Tactics:

Spoiler

The Xoatol are experts of guerilla warfare and close combat. They prefer ambushes, waiting in lakes, ponds, rivers, or even trees until their prey arrives. In which they spring from their hiding place and attack. In many cases they’ll try to claw their victims or bite them, dragging them into the river and drowning them before eating them as well. They tend to avoid drawn out conflicts due to their ambushing nature.

Hierarchy:

Spoiler

Tzil

The Xoatol seek racial perfection, as such it is only fitting that their leader is hailed as the highest point of perfection that the tribe had reached. Much like the Orcs this is in the form of strength, intellect, leadership, or battle prowess. The Tzil uses this title as a prefix. As in, a creature named Anuk would be changed to that of Tzil’Anuk. The Tzil runs day-to-day operations, and attends War meets. The Tzil leaves the future of the Xoatol with the High Mother, who oversees the Spawn pools.

High Mother
The High Mother is the second highest ranking position in the hierarchy. Once the High Mother dies a process goes into place which is that the High Mother is always created from a previous mother, selected by the current Tzil and approved by the coven of the previous High Mother. The High Mother is the overseer of the Spawn Pools, watching over the eggs and showing newer mothers how to care for them. The High Mother cannot have children, due to a ritualistic consumption of natural herbs that render them sterile.

High Mother’s Coven
The coven of the High Mother is a secretive group, made up of multiple priests and mothers. They help decide the next High Mother, and help her with tasks. The Mother’s in the Coven are chosen for their advanced spawn. Many times, the Coven is used to help oversee the many Spawn Pools filled with eggs and such. If an egg were to be damaged while a Coven member was on watch, they were to be heavily punished.

Pixqui
Usually made up of the smaller, weaker race, the Pixqui are seen as the doctors and holy folk of the Xoatol. The process of creation for a Pixqui is quite a difficult one. When a spawn of eggs hatches the strongest of the group are sent to be trained as warriors, or hunters. The weaker ones, however, are sent to be judged by the Pixqui. If they are judged correctly, they are to become Pixqui, priests. If judged to be too weak or diseased, they are thrown to the swamp where they must survive on their own. It is rare for them to reach maturity.

Xoapel

This is the warrior class responsible for the defense of their people. They follow the commands of the Tzil and the Pixqui.

Xoamer

This is the commoner class. This is your average Xoatol tradesmen or farmer. These people work for a living, and aree the backbone of the Xoatol people.

Origins:

Spoiler

Creation

The Xoatol were at first a simple race, much like the Fiskmen. They were stuck in a Dark Age, with a simple culture and basic tools until a supposedly benevolent god took pity upon them. Legend says he appeared before the Xoatol, taking the appearance of a reptilian creature that shifted from form to form. This god offered the low creatures knowledge and fire, and they grew with his blessing. This time is talked about in the legends as the Great Awakening. A golden age followed, leading the people to great strides in writing, observing the heavens, and better, more refined tools. They constructed temples to their god, using hieroglyphs to describe cities, religious rituals, and their lives. Language flowed forth from the mouths that had only once snarled and bellowed, and the people found themselves carving runes to speak to those who were not there to hear. They learned the ways of iron and steel, as well as its potential. Overtime however, the other peoples of Atlas became suspicious and wary of the risen swamp folk. The Xoatol threatened them religiously, and their new forging of weapons and tools showed a threat not seen before from their kind. Fear rightly held by these other people lead to the fabled destruction of a Xoatol swamp city. Outraged, the Xoatol fought back against their attackers.

The Warmblooded War

War raged on for years that stretched into decades. The Xoatol excelled at ambushing their opponents in their native swamps due to their knowledge of the land. However, once they moved out of their home the war went in the favor of their attackers. The Xoatol were forced to adapt to fighting in ways they had never before. They faced tremendous difficulty, winning only with heavy losses. With every Xoatol victory, the enemy was pushed back farther and farther. Finally, after uncountable years, the Xoatol had their attackers fought off. The Xoatol’s fight for survival had finished, and this newfound peace saw to an age of freedom. The people, now free to explore culture and philosophy once more found themselves soon split into different tribes, different peoples. Soon however, disaster struck. Legends wither here, writings scattered, damaged, and unclear. All that is known amongst the people is that a great tragedy saw them retreat deep to their first home. Left to recover from the tragedy, they struggled to return to their former glory, much knowledge lost to the tragedy. 

The Descendant’s Arrival

The Descendants’ arrival to Atlas was unexpected, spotted at first by Xoatol scouts. They were different, strange, and seemed stronger than the people they had known in these lands. More developed. The ones known as Xoa’pel (Orcs) seemed strong, and followed some kind of code. They looked to be aggressive towards the Xoa’keet (humans), and Xoa’ahr (elves). As well as the Xoa’tek (Kha) and Xoa’kal (Hou-Zi). Almost all the other races, except the Xoa’ech (dwarves). However, the Xoa all had their own agendas. These new people and new agendas are immensely interesting to the Xoatol, though this is tempered with caution. The lesson of their downfall a story told over and over to every Xoatol child. They now roam the land seeking to learn from these new people, to take in the knowledge they must have once lost. 

Language

Spoiler

Ka’Tol - Xoatol Ancient Tongue

Basic Words:

Hussah - Greetings

As-so - My name Is… (As-so Itza’r) My name is Itza’r for example

Yuss - Yes, Positive

Nuss - No, Negative

Ees-sa - To Do (Itza’r ees-sa skrt, yuss?) Itza’r goes to hunt,  for example

Atza - To Be,Is,  Are, Was, Were (Itza’r atza xot) Itza is a Hunter, for example
Tee-ta - to Have, to Get, to Take (Tee-ta tha’a ah) Take that dagger, for example

Tha’a - That, This, Those

Tss’a - Home, House, Nest

Ahr - A weapon, Sharp

Keh’k - Brother

General Words and Phrases:
Hus-hus - Move/Faster

Arr - Obey, Shall, Should

Skrt - Hunting, To Hunt

Skrra! - Attack! Charge!
Yum-mah - Food, Delicious

Tsht! - Do Not
Tsk - Here, There
Tsk-tsk - Come here, Follow, On me

Mer - Woman

Xoa - Man, People

Tol - Ancient

Grl - Disappointment, Negative expression (S’grr - Enemy)
Yil - Good, Happy, Pleased, Wealth, Positive Expression (S’yeet - Good Person, Healer)

Keet - To Kill, Kill, Murder (S’keet - Murderer, Killer)

Ka - speak, talk, language

Pel - War

Ech - Defend, Defense, to Protect

Tek - Forest, Jungle

Kal - Strength, Strong

Titles or Prefixes:

Mar - Mother

Tzil - Chieftain, Perfect Specimen

Xot - Warrior, Fighter, Hunter

Nila - Newborn, Undecided if worthy or not.

Birk - Unworthy.

Qui - Member of the Pixqui

(Titles are put before the name, and are almost always used when addressing another. For example when addressing the Tzil one would likely say “Hussah Tzil Itza’r”

Racial Terms:

Xoatol - Ancient People

Xoa’keet- Human

Xoa’ahr - Elf

Xoa’pel - Orc
Xoa’ech - Dwarf

Xoa’tek - Kharajyr

Xoa’kal - Hou-Zi

General Grammatic Rules :

- the apostrophe is used to unite two words into one, to create a new one. A perfect example is Ka’tol, the unity of Ka - meaning language, and Tol, meaning ancient, or S - simply meaning “someone” and “Keet” - Meaning “To kill” To create “S’keet” - “someone who has killed” or “murderer”
For a plural, add extra -ss at the end of the noun.

As - Me, My, Mine

Asta - You, Your

Astas - We, Our
Ee-e - And
So - Name

S - Someone, a Person

Spoiler

Strengths and Weaknesses:

- Herbal Medicine -
Due to their long time spent on Atlas, the Xoatol have found many cures and antidotes to native poisons and diseases. 

Most Xoatol are taught these herbal remedies by their mothers.

- Beastial Strength -

The Xoatol find their bodies and muscles build up easier. This almost rivals the Orcs’ ability to build up their bodies, though falls noticeably short.

- Long Breath -

Larger lungs and other adaptations allow the Xoatol to hold their breath for extended lengths of time. This is also aided by a flap in their throat that closes off the lungs while underwater.

- Ambush Hunter -
The Xoatol are excellent at ambush hunting. They can still their bodies while they wait for their prey, and can react quickly to strike out at their quarry.

- Natural Learners -

The Xoatol excel at learning new information, everyone instilled with an intense driving curiosity. New languages are picked up considerably easier than other races, and academies would find a Xoatol student intelligent and ecstatic at the chance to learn.

New information holds cultural value on par with Mina. An informative story is commonly accepted as payment amongst the Xoatol.

- Cold-blooded -

Xoatol are cold-blooded beings, a low temperature slows and tires them quickly. Conversely, warmer temperatures ease their thinking and actions.

-  Unnatural Speaking -

The mouths of the Xoatol struggle with Common, the sounds tough to master in comparison to their native tongue.

- Old World Souls -

Diseases and maladies from other lands have greater effect on the Xoatol. They struggle with colds and flues that other

races deal with quickly.

- Xoatol would be intended to be a CA only race, similar to the Kha as I understand them.

Misc Redlines:

Spoiler

- Herbal Medicine - 

Healing is no stronger than any existing herbal remedies.

Healing struggles against non-native maladies.

- Beastial Strength -

The Xoatol's ability to build muscle is faster and to a higher cap than that of a human, but does not exceed the natural abilities of an orc.

- Long Breath -
The length of time that a Xoatol holds their breath cannot exceed thirty elven minutes.

- Ambush Hunter -

The Xoatol must take an emote to settle into his hiding place, and another to still his body. 
Once the body is still, their reactions are moderately faster for the explicit sake of landing a single strike against their target.
The Xoatol can lunge no more than two blocks using this enhanced reaction, and the lunge must include an intended action such a strike or grab.

Heavy weapons such as warhammers slow the strike to normalcy.

- Unnatural Speaking -

Comprehension is unaffected.

Speech impediments are inescapable.
- Old World Souls -

The effects of any disease or virus not native to atlas are one and a half times worse. The Xoatol can be considered to have weak immune systems, on par with a sickly individual in these cases.

- Natural Horns, spikes, and claws -

The horns and spines of the head are not made for combat, and if thin are easily breakable.
The claws of the hands and feet can only naturally pierce through thick uncured animal hide. 

Teeth are no better than the canines of a wolf or big cat, though excell at the ripping and tearing of flesh.

- Natural Learners -

The learning of skills and magic is unaffected.

This only allows the Xoatol to achieve feats of learning any normal being could accomplish.

A comment on the criticism this race receives:

For those that have commented thus far, legitimate well put criticism is very helpful. Things such as a simple "No." or claims put upon the lore that have nothing to do with the quality of the lore do not help us rework this lore to be as good as we can make it. It was arguable with the fae realm lore that there are too many creatures or that druidism was too large a magic already, and yet it was accepted. 

My goal, I am unaware of Sloths, is to create a race that people can have fun playing that has something to contribute to the lore. I do not want them to be a simple antagonist, I do not want them to be a repeat of the Mori. The full intent of my major modifications to the Xoatol are to make a race that can spread its wings and provide interesting, driving rp. They seek to be scholars, to study the world and people around them for the sake of discovery and knowledge.

This race has been majorly changed from its previous versions. Because of this, it is lacking in some places I would care to expand it. I implore those who read this lore to leave thoughtful in depth comments about the lore. It is fine if we are not in a place to accept a new race, but part of the system of proposing lore is receiving criticism that assists in making ideas as refined and interesting as possible. If we get denied, that is fine. We can always use a chance to further go over our lore and make proper well thought out changes, just like any lore creator can benefit from the legitimate criticism of their creations.

finally i can roleplay on my favorite minecraft server as hillary clinton

We have enough playable races- No thank you.

Why are we going to add another playable race when we don't have enough people playing as Descendants? That question alone slaps a big fat no on this lore before I even start reading it. And even after giving it a quick read through, there isn't anything unique about this particular submission that would warrant its inclusion. This would only hurt the server, sorry.

1 hour ago, Viltaren said:

- Xoatol would be intended to be a CA only race, similar to the Kha as I understand them.

Kha aren't connected to CA's at all. 

If someone wants to make a Kha they go through same process as someone wanting to make an elf, or an orc, or a halfling, etc.

No more creatures

3 hours ago, Aeldrin said:

finally i can roleplay on my favorite minecraft server as hillary clinton

Xoatol are definitely not like Hillary Clinton. She’s not a lizard, she’s a rat. 

2 hours ago, ChonGojDragonski said:

Why are we going to add another playable race when we don't have enough people playing as Descendants? That question alone slaps a big fat no on this lore before I even start reading it. And even after giving it a quick read through, there isn't anything unique about this particular submission that would warrant its inclusion. This would only hurt the server, sorry.

There are plenty of people playing descendants already. This is just a little more diversity to be added to the current lore. And they could provide a potential antagonist for the server. 

Image result for mazdamundi

Really though, remove a race before adding more.

I would love to have sahuagin, but I do agree there are too many creatures...so I'm undecided, instead of a plus one you could have a heart! ❤️

7 hours ago, _Lackless_ said:

I don’t want lizard people to be the pontential antag t b h

But w h y. Lizards can be a good antag if done right. Which will be done right hopefully. 

2 hours ago, Slothtastic said:

But w h y. Lizards can be a good antag if done right. Which will be done right hopefully. 

1. There is never going to be a Server Antag again.

2. LOTC offers a good number of options currently and actually offers too many for character development. The Lore Team and Admins need to be axe'ing creatures, not add more.

3. Lizard people is cliche and really, what the hell is so special about these creatures? There is no real origin lore other then they were here already from what I can see and honestly, it doesn't work with the map lore.

4. The breeding process is cool but it's against server rules.

50 minutes ago, L0rdLawyer said:

1. There is never going to be a Server Antag again.

2. LOTC offers a good number of options currently and actually offers too many for character development. The Lore Team and Admins need to be axe'ing creatures, not add more.

3. Lizard people is cliche and really, what the hell is so special about these creatures? There is no real origin lore other then they were here already from what I can see and honestly, it doesn't work with the map lore.

4. The breeding process is cool but it's against server rules.

1. Well that sounds pretty fuckin’ stupid but alright. Welves know a lot it seems. 

2. There are a lot of options yes, and while I do agree that some creatures should be axe’d, something’s should be accepted. 

3. Did you read the rest of the history? And it does work mainly because Ratiki are also a new thing, since they are known as the Ratmen of Atlas. And if it doesn’t work already it could work. I’m sure there’s still some unexplored areas in the map that could harbor ruins. 

4. Just as the Hou-Zi’s and Satyr’s breeding process is against the rules? They breed normally. If the admins and LT didn’t like it I’m not sure why those two were accepted but whatever ya say. 

For those that have commented thus far, legitimate well put criticism is very helpful. Things such as a simple "No." or claims put upon the lore that have nothing to do with the quality of the lore do not help us rework this lore to be as good as we can make it. It was arguable with the fae realm lore that there are too many creatures or that druidism was too large a magic already, and yet it was accepted. 

My goal, I am unaware of Sloths, is to create a race that people can have fun playing that has something to contribute to the lore. I do not want them to be a simple antagonist, I do not want them to be a repeat of the Mori. The full intent of my major modifications to the Xoatol are to make a race that can spread its wings and provide interesting, driving rp. They seek to be scholars, to study the world and people around them for the sake of discovery and knowledge.

This race has been majorly changed from its previous versions. Because of this, it is lacking in some places I would care to expand it. I implore those who read this lore to leave thoughtful in depth comments about the lore. It is fine if we are not in a place to accept a new race, but part of the system of proposing lore is receiving criticism that assists in making ideas as refined and interesting as possible. If we get denied, that is fine. We can always use a chance to further go over our lore and make proper well thought out changes, just like any lore creator can benefit from the legitimate criticism of their creations.

I will be editing the main post to include this disclaimer at the bottom.