[Completed][Completed] Holy Healing Is Bad

GodEmperorFlam

24 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

Nobody is advocating horror tier snuff RP.  It'd be sickening.  Excessively gorey emotes are against the rules, if I'm not mistaken, so turning someone into a gored up freak/head on a torso would likely not be tolerated.  If a player tries to steal in a city where stealing is illegal and you cut off his hand, you know what ought to happen? He loses the hand.  Consequences for Roleplay, that's all anyone ever advocates for nowadays and people seem to misconstrue that as taking fun away from roleplay.  You know what isn't fun?  Seeing a guy lahdeedah around towns, starting fights and stealing crap only to come back 30 minutes later after the guards put him down.  Its unrealistic, and its created a roleplay environment full of psychopaths who are numb to death and violence as a result.  People want their slice of life RP?  That's fine, have at it, this won't effect them.

I stand corrected, though folks already whine about people dying rather than lose limbs as it is.

On this point, I'd like to say that it should be RP'd this way if that's truly how it is.  If you can truly risk death and strain of your body, then it should not be a first resort but a last resort.  Just earlier I ran into a cleric saying "Oh lemme do a little 'Light Therapy' on someone"  It felt overthetop cartoonish and like the cleric had no value on healing magic because they can use it at a whim. 

There has been a decided shift /away/ from RPing risk correctly, and that is partly due to the cleric you kept referencing. It's a work in progress right now. That said, if you'd like me to investigate this use of light therapy, you're more than welcome to ping me on discord.

Are clerics incapable of learning alchemy or medicine with their magic?  I mean, personally, I'd be ecstatic to see Clerics have a role as a doctor of the supernatural.  It fits more thematically in with Tahariae being against impure things for him to only allow healing impure wounds.   

Clerics are capable of learning both, and some choose to do so. Thematically, I'm against forcing the issue, as there are some clerics that are very good at RPing shock and awe heals. A min/maxed cleric will learn the former, and all clerics need to know medicine to begin with. There's only so much you can do with magic, after all. 

I recall once during my basic af studies of US law, you have rights up until it infringes on the rights of another person. Knowing this, I'd say everyone has the right to enjoy their RP here on this server, and if you can't enjoy things without forcing harsh consequences on RP (and thus taking away their enjoyment), you should probably check yourself. Not to say people should be allowed to "lahdeedah" and ignore all RP because they can have things fixed, but rather you making it a sweeping across the board nerf on magic healing just because of those instances is rather unfair. Some people would rather not be mutilated, or turned unplayable just because there's no real method of fixing things. That's just not the kind of RP they enjoy, so perhaps don't be selfish and let them enjoy their time here, guys?

Healing magic is fine in literally every other medium of fantasy, so why is LotC the exception? Even in combat it can be fine, if there are ample methods of disrupting the process. (Like hitting the healer as they will take quite some time and energy to do things). ****, Dungeons and Dragons has healing in combat all the time and that's fine by everyone afaik.

4 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Better idea, the wound is entirely transferred to the healer and the healer does not have advanced regenerative abilities. In otherwords, if medicine can't heal it and it's fatal, the healer will die to save the person's life and it will count as a PK due to it being suicide.

Ascended did that and in all honesty? Why bother even using that magic if you don't have the ascended's regen properties.

Just posting an FYI here regarding Ascended Healing.

Ascended don't even heal the wound - they take it on themselves, meaning that said Ascended will face the consequences of having that wound for 1-2 hours, where a lot can happen and essentially **** up said Ascended.

Example: Elvira takes someone's broken leg and she now needs to relax or move herself to somewhere safe for a few hours due to how badly wounded the bones are. An enemy comes in while she's regenerating - Elvira = Easy target due to hindering to leg movement and the fact she can still cause damage to her own leg as its regenerating + regeneration ceases when in a battle scenario, so my character is stuck with a semi-healed leg until I die or I get out of that scenarion

===

Ascended can take on curses that is binded to an Descendant's soul, which in turn places the Ascended in the scenario where they will face to suffer the curses effects for a decent amount of hours. So we still face the side effects of a curse until the regeneration destroys the curse completely.

Example: Elvira takes a Soul Puppetry curse from someone and onto her soul template. The Soul Puppeter can now manipulate Elvira for an hour or two, essentially meaning they can still cause a great amount of damage to my character or those around her. In the space of that period - all hell can break lose if the Soul Puppeter decides to do something.

TL:DR

Yes we can regenerate but depending on the severity, a small wound would take minutes, a more severe wound would take a fair amount of hours. Severe wounds never take a couple of minutes to heal, and furthermore - an Ascended's regeneration shuts down completely during a combat scenario, so we can't just heal as we fight and we can still get our backsides handed to us.

Therefore the Ascended already hold a set of consequences.

Easy way to deal with this is do what Human's do.. Healing yourself from wounds fated to happen is blasphemy. 

Ascended holy healing is just fine and perfectly balanced. We have never had a complaint against it. Very recently my character encountered a horribly injured high elf and absorbed the wounds unto himself, then spent three IRL days laid up in their clinic regenerating from the injuries. The consequence of injury still very much exists it’s just transferred from one person to another.

31 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

Are clerics incapable of learning alchemy or medicine with their magic?  I mean, personally, I'd be ecstatic to see Clerics have a role as a doctor of the supernatural.  It fits more thematically in with Tahariae being against impure things for him to only allow healing impure wounds.   

I have a paladin and a cleric and both use alchemy with their magic, why? Because I understand that most wounds would kill a person if not dealt with immediately and that some things are not worth wasting the mana on. I'll give passes to people who make most of the healing emote to describing the way the magic looks or is behaving in those situations since I know not everyone has any medical knowledge to speak of, but if it has neither of these elements than it is just a bad rp'er. As for only healing impure wounds? Name more than three wounds that actually leave behind dark magic to be combated against, curses don't count.

Much of the excuse behind the disapproval  is not the fault of the magic itself, but rather the way it is used.

Magic isn’t all about zapping your opponent or blasting someone with a beam of energy. Magic also involves creation, manipulation, alteration and restoration. Healing offers a unique side to magic roleplay and gives players a different style to play with. 

The downside to any mechanic is that someone will ultimately try to exploit or powergame. This happens whether it is magic, melee or creature roleplay. People need to realise that the magic isn’t at fault here but instead it’s the minority of people who give it a bad wrap.

The Ascended for example do face the prospect of a price in using healing magic. They transfer the damage to themselves and depending on the severity of the wound; in some cases are unable to heal or otherwise may fatally damage themselves. Healing with an equivalent exchange policy already exists, we have a magic that uses it already.

Witch-hunting holy magic won’t fix the issue. Everything can be powergamed or abused. Healing magic is but a snowflake in a tundra.

Edited by GildedDuke

12 minutes ago, Sultan said:

Easy way to deal with this is do what Human's do.. Healing yourself from wounds fated to happen is blasphemy. 

I have yet to meet a human who treats it like that, just sayan. ? I do wish they did cause that would be neat.

56 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

This. This right here is something I want to highlight on as important and I advise everyone to read up on it.

Elvira use to be a cleric and before she became a cleric, she was trained by Jistuma's character about alchemy. So when it came to healing someone, I literally used both alchemy and magic to heal, and it actually makes things easier from a RP perspective. I even taught multiple clerical students about using mundane and alchemical healing, as well as heavily advising them to balance out using mundane methods and magic.

I'll use a scenario here to outline how a holy mage knowing mundane / alchemical healing can greatly change the situation.

Your patient has a fatal wound that is bleeding heavily, as well as causing extreme pain to them. There are two options: Immediately summon your light and heal the whole wound, including pain and bleeding. Or you can use alchemical  / mundane healing before you heal.

Magic alone: By the time the cleric has brought out their light, the patient would have lost a fair amount of blood if the wound has not been pressured, resulting in the patient suffering from bloodloss (as clerics cannot restore back the blood within someone - only remove the effects temporarily until the effects come back an hour later, as the patient is still missing blood). Even more, should the patient be bleeding in multiple areas  or has already lost a large amount of blood before the cleric arrived - the chances of them dying increase at each second passing, so by the time a cleric has their light summoned, the patient may die.

With Alchemical / mundane healing assisting: Place a liquified version of Tippen's root on the wound(s) that are bleeding, which near-instantly ceases the bleeding and allows a more effective view of the wound. Should the cleric also have this: Press some Blissfoil on the wound to cease the pain and make the patient more comfortable as you get ready to summon your light. Should neither be avaliable, a cleric can apply pressure to the wound or have someone else do such, there's also the method of a tourniquet (Essentially: Wrap a rag tightly above the wound in order to cut off blood flow in the veins, to stop the bleeding and buy time. By using this method, there's a heightened chance that the patient will survive and will not bleed to death, as the dangers have been treated (or at least reduced) and the cleric has enough time to close the wound before any further damage is done.

As you can see, the latter option is more suited, but it does depend on if the healer knows the regents or has the knowledge on how to treat particular wounds and injuries. Which in turn encourages the healer to learn about Alchemy and Healing, and can provide more roleplay than just relying on magic. Furthermore, a cleric's light heavily tires them which can be extremely serious if there are multiple injured but only one cleric at the scene, so being able to balance out both mundane healing and magical healing is extremely vital and useful. Use mundane / alchemical for smaller wounds, but use a combination of both mundane and magical to handle more severe and life threatening wounds.

I still do it for Ascended magic, given that I'm now taking a wound onto myself - may as well at least treat the wound and ensure its in a better condition than just immediately taking the wound on as its bleeding. So I can vouch in stating that using mundane methods and holy magic - whenever it be cleric, paladin, ascended, etc - is really effective and I love to see many using Alchemy and Mundane more.

Personally to me - holy healing should not be heavily nerfed, as a majority of the healing do have consenquences if you consider how a lack of fatigue, or having to slowly wait for a wound to regenerate can impact scenarios and endanger the healers. But instead, we should be encouraging holy healers to think outside of just using their magic, as it should not always be a first call... since even magic has it flaws and time can be a healer's worse enemy.

Just

EDIT: mb. On mobile

Edited by Ravondir

I respect your opinion, but there would be no recourse for people who have a run-in with "antagonists" that just have a thing for permanent bodily mutilation OOC.

Imma throw my 2 cents in.

I have played a cleric since Anthos. My version of cleric differs a bit from most because I honestly treat it a lot more like secondary healing. Using my char Elawynn as an example and Guyden as the patient.

Guyden was attacked and left HORRIBLY mutilated through roleplay. While some may enjoy keeping the mutilation, others do not. Guyden reached out to the clerics and ended up talking to my cleric Ela. I spent four different sessions healing him, one major injury at a time. Each healing cost Ela a lot of energy and strength to where she was debilatated by the fourth session.

I use mundane before clerical, reason being, I feel clerical needs to be a "as needed basis". In my four years playing clerics, I use mundane far more than clerical, why? Most injuries people bug me about are mundane. Cut across the chest? We got herbs and alchemy. However, I have come across people who, despite their ooc desire, have been mutilated to being tongueless, eyeless, and missing limbs.

Good clerics span their healing and provide more rp over several sessions than just one or two sessions of small emotes. Honestly, most the clerics I looked up to did this. Healing rp can be very good, if you have the right players and use the right balance.

Instead of taking away the ability to heal or nerfing it hugely, talk to the cleric playerbase for some ideas on making it more balanced. Such as:

- Clerics must do large or multiple wounds in sessions, lest they risk burning out and dying (ex growing limbs or stopping large wounds)

- Stop allowing clerics to insta-heal fatal wounds (I have seen people with slith throats get instahealed in old Sutica)

- Allow the clerics to come up with a checks and balance system as well OOC to provide maximum rp

If you nerf clerics, who have been redone so many times over the past four years, you should also look at other magics. Please stop dragging clerical out as the only magic that needs nerfing. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Snelfma said:

think magic should be used when natural means can no longer be helpful

Any reasons for why this would be any better? Natural means can't heal a sword through the neck, why should magic be able to heal it?

The magic could be altered so that magical regeneration of a wound still causes exhaustion to the patient, the magic acts more like a patch that can be removed or dissolved when it comes into contact with other magics in a short period of time, or even the regenerated area takes a completely unnatural appearance.

This wouldn't do anything to address the issue however. People can log off for ten minutes and than log back on saying an IC day has passed.

It was suggested in the cleric chat that healing could be done in sessions, but the cap for ability to heal is removed. Ex. Someone loses an arm, the arm can be regrown, but only sections at a time that would drain a tier 5. As for keeping people from having multiple clerics regrow their arm at one time? Could continue on with that patch idea and say that once a cleric has started healing that spot, another's magic will end up reversing what was healed.

Except that there is no way such a system could be regulated.

4 hours ago, The Templar said:

With all that said, a more measured response is to instead address how it is TREATED, not stick a band-aid on the problem. One such solution, while still drastic, is to require faith from the healee, too.

And what's going to stop the injured person from just lying to be healed? Or the healer to feign ignorance and heal the injured person? This really doesn't address any of the core problems regarding healing roleplay.

Instead of "oh darn, my foot fell off! CLERIC!" Why not require the victim to profess faith in the deity and ask for healing alongside their healer? It's not like there's any reason /not to,/ unless you're secretly an anti-theist IRP or something. 

You literally made my argument for me. "It's not like there's any reason not to." You're right, there is no reason not to. Your suggestion wouldn't have any impact on the current problem as not only is there no way to stop people from just roleplaying as if nothing happened after, but there is no way to regulate only people of certain faiths get healed.

4 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Sometimes people would resort to doing bullshit stuff like removing all limbs, gouging out eyeballs, removing ears, scarring, and leaving someone a mutilated, unplayable mess

Why is this bullshit? I'd like for you to name one reason mate. Roleplay should have consequences. If you steal something and they cut your hand/arm off, there is no reason why you should get a get of jail free card. In fact, this would allow for so much more dynamic roleplay to occur, and would likely deal with the issue of being trigger happy with dismembering people. No reason NOT to dismember anyone if you know they can get it healed. If we remove that option, people will think twice because any retaliation against them might be even more severe.

Furthermore, I don't think your arguments are very valid for arguing holy magic as a bad thing. You can make up a false debate towards anything in the format you've chosen.

If you don't see the problem with people having no consequences for their IC actions and being able to act like a reckless moron because they know that a cleric/ascended heal is a doorstep away, I have no words for you. Ascended healing is even worse due to the way their natural regeneration works. Somehow manages to make a lack of consequences even worse.

Izkuthii and illusions are bad because you can shapeshift or disguise yourself into any form you please. This removes the consequences of having to formulate your own costume to get by through roleplay. This detracts from the real non-magical masters of disguise on this server. It needs to be nerfed because it has little to no consequence for being able to look in any fashion that you please.

Except Izkuthii are bad, and Illusion magic needs a rework...

Bad examples mate.

Evocations are bad because it lets you create fire when you could otherwise create fire through plenty of wood, tinder, and flint and steel. Being able to evoke anything from nothing is bad because it has no consequence of having to collect that element before using it.

Except this is demonstrably false? Evocations can be used to start a fire perhaps, but we have matches that function the exact same as that. Otherwise the flames just bugger off into the void. Also, that's not the purpose of Evocations at all, and you know it. It's primarily a combat magic, and I'd like for you to explain how you'd be able to do that without Evo.

It's MEANT to be good for healing, and it's a good thing because some people would rather have fun than deal with the ultra harsh consequences forced on them by other players.

You blunder through a dungeon with reckless abandon and lose a foot. That's an ultra harsh consequence? You try to fight back against ten bandits and they remove one of your eyes to make sure you don't resist in the future. That's ultra harsh? What exactly do you want them to do? And if we want to get rid of unnecessary ultra harsh consequences, making healing magic powerful isn't the way to do it. I mean, clearly it hasn't done anything for years. Why don't we try actually implementing consequences and seeing how the community would rise up to the occasion? Crazy idea I know.

LotC is full of murder hobos, after all.

Probably because IC death has no meaningful consequences at all. Hmm, strange how dismemberment and other roleplay is overdone just like death. Oh wait, both the systems that are related to them prevent any consequences or growth for these actions.

Healing RP isn't all that fun for the victim, so tbh having something that deals with it quickly seems like a good thing.

Way to generalize something for the entire server. Utterly baseless. I know tens of people that love good healing roleplay, and the amount of times I've almost been heal-[removed] and robbed of my healing roleplay because some Cleric comes up to my character while he's unconscious is ridiculous.  Also takes away from medic/apothecary roleplay, but who cares about them right?

If you're worried about consequences of holy magic healing, make it so that it has a detrimental effect on the patient. Something like exhaustion or unconsciousness for taking a lot out of the body to heal itself rapidly, as orchestrated by holy magics.

They're already injured, I'm not sure what this would do...

I honestly don't understand this fad. The LotC community always has specific things of the week they want to hyper focus on and criticize unnecessarily. There's literally nothing wrong with it, and healing magic is fine in any other medium. I can't help but feel the problem lies in the players themselves, such as people who get angry when others don't conform to their grimdark consequence RP. Let people do what they enjoy, that's what we're here for. Don't drive more people away.

Actively goes out of his way NOT to understand, and than complains about not understanding. Can't argue with that logic.

Some people enjoy erotic roleplay, just let them do what they enjoy. Some people enjoy super edgy katana swinging roleplay. Just let them do what they enjoy. Some people enjoy roleplaying guns. Just let them do what they enjoy. Some people enjoy roleplaying as a super unique zany creature with no background or nuance to it at all. Just let them do what they enjoy.

You don't see how ridiculous this is? This mentality is why the server roleplay quality is suffering so much, and some of the best roleplayers on the server are starting to become less and less interested. Not all roleplay is created equal, that's a fact.

4 hours ago, Snelfma said:

In my mind healing magic should be a grand act that accomplishes what mundane healing could not fix such as missing limbs, third degree burns, or even blindness along with taint inflicted wounds. No nerf's please, just make it function differently than the way that allows for heal bots to occur.

But you haven't given any reason as to why it should be able to do these things...? Does healing roleplay take away from consequences to your IC actions? Yes. Does it take away from injury and medic/apothecary roleplay? Yes. Than I really see no reason as to why we should have it in the current way it is...

4 hours ago, ThatGuy_777 said:

Just to parrot ideas for clerical healing I'm hearing: do it in steady sessions rather than single case instances, or require that somebody has copious faith in the deity themselves (with prayers by the patient and the like) to be remotely effective. I myself lean towards the former.

Except there is no way that something like this can be regulated?

4 hours ago, ThatGuy_777 said:

As for removing holy healing entirely...well, my main character would be nothing more than a limbless vegetable without lips, teeth, a tongue, ears, or eyes.

Just a tip friend, why not stay away from situations where your character is likely going to get mutilated/killed? Or at the very least attempt to approach them with some tact? TBH, everyone should PK on RP death but this is a different argument and people are way to attached to their mineman pixels to actually create quality dynamic roleplay, but at the very least roleplay out injuries properly.

Unfortunately, not everyone wishes to RP grimdark mangling and snuff films.

I'm sorry what? "Unfortunately, not everyone wishes to RP dying, so why make them?" This is a collaborative roleplay server. If you do something worthy of getting your hand cut off, not going along with the roleplay would be such a narcissistic and selfish thing to do. And someone emoting

*swings his sword downwards towards his wrist, attempting to make a clean cut all the way through.

Isn't gruesome at all?

That's already how it is halfway. Healing can permanently kill a cleric if they're not careful. Most of us are careful enough to not completely run out of mana and explode trying to save some baby that got bonked on the head by a mischievous child in a decidedly malicious fashion ((Yes. This happened before))

Except I've never seen this roleplayed properly ever? Without the necessity of rolls, this is something completely arbitrary and isn't an actual consequence. I won't even mention the fact that any cleric can just resurrect and act as if nothing happened if they DO die.

They'll use mundane torture and then we're back at the start, except now we can't do a darn thing except tell them they should've bled out as our hands are tied. 

More IC consequence dodging. IDK why people are so averse to having to deal with problems that come up IC. I promise it's fun, just try it. Pretty please?

3 hours ago, Gladuos said:

I recall once during my basic af studies of US law, you have rights up until it infringes on the rights of another person. Knowing this, I'd say everyone has the right to enjoy their RP here on this server, and if you can't enjoy things without forcing harsh consequences on RP (and thus taking away their enjoyment), you should probably check yourself.

This argument can be extended to ANY kind of roleplay whatsoever. Do you not see the doors you're opening? Honest to god, read what you just said and analyze its implications. This can be extended to ERP, Powergaming, and ridiculous uses of Magic, Creatures, and anything else that someone might want to do. Also, just a note. Seeing IC consequences dodged and terrible slice of life on supposedly rare/dark creatures DOES hurt my enjoyment. It hurts the enjoyment of almost every GOOD roleplayer, hence the reason that some of the best roleplayers on the server have left.

Some people would rather not be mutilated, or turned unplayable just because there's no real method of fixing things. That's just not the kind of RP they enjoy, so perhaps don't be selfish and let them enjoy their time here, guys?

Some people would rather not roleplay with those that completely ignore all consequences to their roleplay, including death. But screw those people right?

Healing magic is fine in literally every other medium of fantasy, so why is LotC the exception? Even in combat it can be fine, if there are ample methods of disrupting the process. (Like hitting the healer as they will take quite some time and energy to do things). ****, Dungeons and Dragons has healing in combat all the time and that's fine by everyone afaik.

Except Dungeons and Dragons is a heavily monitored system that uses rolls. You've said it yourself, you prefer to avoid the use of rolls if possible. Bad example. And healing magic is often deus ex machina in like every medium of fantasy mate.

3 hours ago, Snelfma said:

Ascended did that and in all honesty? Why bother even using that magic if you don't have the ascended's regen properties.

You're right. Why bother. Why bother having any consequences to anything that might happen to you on the server? I can literally think of like ten different reasons IC why someone. Reading that hurt my soul friend, it really did.

3 hours ago, Farryn said:

Ascended don't even heal the wound - they take it on themselves, meaning that said Ascended will face the consequences of having that wound for 1-2 hours, where a lot can happen and essentially **** up said Ascended.

Example: Elvira takes someone's broken leg and she now needs to relax or move herself to somewhere safe for a few hours due to how badly wounded the bones are. An enemy comes in while she's regenerating - Elvira = Easy target due to hindering to leg movement and the fact she can still cause damage to her own leg as its regenerating + regeneration ceases when in a battle scenario, so my character is stuck with a semi-healed leg until I die or I get out of that scenarion

Nice, omit the pretty much instant regeneration they have. 1-2 hours IC is like five minutes of OOC time.

Ascended can take on curses that is binded to an Descendant's soul, which in turn places the Ascended in the scenario where they will face to suffer the curses effects for a decent amount of hours. So we still face the side effects of a curse until the regeneration destroys the curse completely.

Except it's like 5 minutes of actual OOC time...

Yes we can regenerate but depending on the severity, a small wound would take minutes, a more severe wound would take a fair amount of hours. Severe wounds never take a couple of minutes to heal, and furthermore - an Ascended's regeneration shuts down completely during a combat scenario, so we can't just heal as we fight and we can still get our backsides handed to us.

Except the issue isn't expressly with combat, it's the fact that there is no consequence to any actions at all...Five minutes of logging off/afk isn't a consequence.

3 hours ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

Ascended holy healing is just fine and perfectly balanced. We have never had a complaint against it.

What...I'm sorry what? Like, really? I guess you completely forgot about this thread than....

I'm speechless. A thread chock full of complaints, and no one has ever complained. I mean, there are people complaining about Ascended Magic in this thread rn. K.

Very recently my character encountered a horribly injured high elf and absorbed the wounds unto himself, then spent three IRL days laid up in their clinic regenerating from the injuries.

Except that's something you chose to do? If an Ascended wanted to log off for half an hour, upon coming back they'd be perfectly within reason to have just claimed that the wound healed. Or even if it's for the day.

TL;DR, healing roleplay at the moment is absolutely horrid and needs a serious revamp. I'm not opposed to it in its entirety, but it needs to be strictly monitored, have no combat applications, and just in general toned down from all angles.

Ascended holy healing is just fine and perfectly balanced. We have never had a complaint against it.

What. Excuse me? This has been contested for ages, we have discord channels based on fixing it and have for months.