[Completed][Completed] Holy Healing Is Bad

GodEmperorFlam

Holy Healing (and any other form of healing where a wound is removed rapidly at little cost) removes consequence as a person can jump into a fight they might not win due to the thought process of "oh a healer can just patch me up" and also renders roles such as doctor or medic useless when a person can walk in and spend a few emotes making an injury go away. If supernatural ailments were altered so that there were other alternatives of removing them rather than relying on a holy mage to counter it, we wouldn't need holy healing to be as effective against curses either and it gives a chance for those that don't rp around holy users to combat whatever the ailment is.

Healing, as it is now, is detrimental and needs nerfing, which in turn promotes people being more cautious with their actions and actually have to face consequences if they are harmed, boosts the usefulness for things like doctors, and overall promotes more RP than just a handful of emotes of a glowing light removing a wound. Change my mind.

never thought id see the day 

agreed

Monk magic, the ultimate form of healing

Now, as someone who has been doing medical rp since I've been on the server, and while I do whine about how people just throw magic at a wound I disagree with nerfing healing magic again. I think magic should be used when natural means can no longer be helpful, BUT I do think things need to change to make the rp more interesting. The magic could be altered so that magical regeneration of a wound still causes exhaustion to the patient, the magic acts more like a patch that can be removed or dissolved when it comes into contact with other magics in a short period of time, or even the regenerated area takes a completely unnatural appearance. Those are just my ideas, I might flesh them out a little more later.

Edit:

It was suggested in the cleric chat that healing could be done in sessions, but the cap for ability to heal is removed. Ex. Someone loses an arm, the arm can be regrown, but only sections at a time that would drain a tier 5. As for keeping people from having multiple clerics regrow their arm at one time? Could continue on with that patch idea and say that once a cleric has started healing that spot, another's magic will end up reversing what was healed.

Edited by Snelfma

Just now, | ZipZapMan | said:

Monk magic, the ultimate form of healing

The player version of that was shelved so there's no more OP monk healing outside of resurrection.

I agree wholeheartedly. Holy healing heavily detracts from the consequence of roleplay when any wound or related problem can be cured with 2-3 emotes of glowy hand RP.

I recall helping one of my fellow ETs with an event, a group of holy mages were tracking down some Aeldinic criminal that arrived in Axios along with his other cohorts. @Ford @GrimReaper98 Various traps were littered around the criminal's place of refuge, bear traps, tripwires, etcetera, you name it. A careless cleric set off bear traps on two occasions, and BOTH times the person had their leg mended up by a 2-3 emote *glowy hand, presses it onto wound* RP; This completely negating any form of consequence or weight that their choice had.

Mundane medical RP is a 100 times more involving and just provides better roleplay for both the wounded and whoever is treating them.

Magical healing in any form, be it holy, so forth, should either be heavily nerfed or just outright removed.

RP has consequence.

+1

7 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

The player version of that was shelved so there's no more OP monk healing outside of resurrection.

Yeah. It's what I was referring to.

Anyways, would a nerf to healing magics apply to druidic methods of healing as well?

Or strictly cleric, ascended, and paladin's healing methods.

druidic healing isn't really healing. its just enhancing herbs. 

I agree. I dislike most healing magics now that I've seen most of them first hand. 

Oh boy. The nerf healing bandwagon! Let's. Not. 

The way healing on this server is treated needs to be changed across the board. It isn't that it's too strong, it's that nobody respects it. There are no consequences whatsoever from treating your fellow healers like batteries right now. Why does an aengul that demands worship, like Tahariae, allow the unrepentant to be healed, for instance? In fantasy of all stripes, and ****, even IRL medieval accounts, these are seen as signs and wonders, miracles of great majesty that inspire awe. Here it's just.. Another day in the -insert city of choice here.- Why? Where is the faith that powers such acts? Clearly not from the people being healed. 

With all that said, a more measured response is to instead address how it is TREATED, not stick a band-aid on the problem. One such solution, while still drastic, is to require faith from the healee, too. Is it perfect? No, but it does address the casual interfaith healing that's giving such a horrible reputation to the act of healing itself. Clearly Tahariae, again using the deity I interact with most, likes being worshipped. Instead of "oh darn, my foot fell off! CLERIC!" Why not require the victim to profess faith in the deity and ask for healing alongside their healer? It's not like there's any reason /not to,/ unless you're secretly an anti-theist IRP or something. 

18 minutes ago, Skylez1 said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Holy healing heavily detracts from the consequence of roleplay when any wound or related problem can be cured with 2-3 emotes of glowy hand RP.

I recall helping one of my fellow ETs with an event, a group of holy mages were tracking down some Aeldinic criminal that arrived in Axios along with his other cohorts. @Ford @GrimReaper98 Various traps were littered around the criminal's place of refuge, bear traps, tripwires, etcetera, you name it. A careless cleric set off bear traps on two occasions, and BOTH times the person had their leg mended up by a 2-3 emote *glowy hand, presses it onto wound* RP; This completely negating any form of consequence or weight that their choice had.

Mundane medical RP is a 100 times more involving and just provides better roleplay for both the wounded and whoever is treating them.

Magical healing in any form, be it holy, so forth, should either be heavily nerfed or just outright removed.

RP has consequence.

+1

Let me guess, they were the Sutican Order clerics in which kollu was leading, and they were dealt with already. Healing a leg takes a lot more emotes than 2-3, and it's powergaming to do so. Anyways, I'll talk more on the healing subject later.

As much as ya'll love your consequence roleplay, I have to say holy healing is a necessity. Sometimes people would resort to doing bullshit stuff like removing all limbs, gouging out eyeballs, removing ears, scarring, and leaving someone a mutilated, unplayable mess. Implying mundane anything, even alchemy, can deal with that in an extensive manner is ludicrous. It just can't. Before anyone mentions regen potion, no. Some people don't want to be retarded murderers just to bring back a finger. Furthermore, I don't think your arguments are very valid for arguing holy magic as a bad thing. You can make up a false debate towards anything in the format you've chosen.

Izkuthii and illusions are bad because you can shapeshift or disguise yourself into any form you please. This removes the consequences of having to formulate your own costume to get by through roleplay. This detracts from the real non-magical masters of disguise on this server. It needs to be nerfed because it has little to no consequence for being able to look in any fashion that you please.

Evocations are bad because it lets you create fire when you could otherwise create fire through plenty of wood, tinder, and flint and steel. Being able to evoke anything from nothing is bad because it has no consequence of having to collect that element before using it. This detracts from the elementalist non-mages who like to throw rocks at people and create bonfires. smh Nerf all evocations and illusions/izkuthii.

In case you couldn't tell, that was entirely satire and I can't help but believe this is a well constructed attempt to lash at holy magics when in reality it's just the function of the magic. It's MEANT to be good for healing, and it's a good thing because some people would rather have fun than deal with the ultra harsh consequences forced on them by other players. LotC is full of murder hobos, after all. If anything, all this would do is encourage people to die of wounds more often so that they just resurrect. Healing RP isn't all that fun for the victim, so tbh having something that deals with it quickly seems like a good thing. If you're worried about consequences of holy magic healing, make it so that it has a detrimental effect on the patient. Something like exhaustion or unconsciousness for taking a lot out of the body to heal itself rapidly, as orchestrated by holy magics. *shrug

I agree wholeheartedly.  Since there aren't too many suggestions, here's what I would suggest (vaguely) to fix it.  They aren't mutually exclusive nor dependent on one another, just what I would argue has been frustrating to deal with.

Remove regrowing limbs of any kind.

If the RP has been completed to remove the limb, then that should be it unless it can be reattached freshly (1-2 days at most).  

Consequences for entering a city you are not supposed to be in should mean something.  Punishments for stealing should mean something.  I once had a player outright refuse to accept his hand was cut off (though GMs solved the problem).  In all honesty, I'd like to see a lot more mangled people on LotC.  It adds character to your character.  Waving a magic wand and regrowing a finger or hand is ridiculous.  I heard that it supposedly isn't supposed to be a thing, but plenty of clerics will RP it otherwise.

Counterhealing.

Add possibility for healing to harm the recipient even more than before, or have some counterweight to it. Tahariae's light doesn't feel like it'd be healthy since its supposed to be dedicated to purging as well.  What should be the correct counterbalance?  Not sure.  Perhaps make it painful for the recipient.  Life threatening healing could use some sort of roll system to see if its successful.  If you get injured, seeking a cleric should not be the be all end all.  In fact, it should be risky.  Perhaps make it risky to the healer as well—it should be extremely exhaustive, only able to be used once a day if that's the approach.

Combat Healing.

Nope. Nope. Nope.  Get rid of it.  It's dumb.  Healing should require concentration, if you get someone out of the fight it should render them incapacitated for the duration of the fight.  Potions should have some sort of reemergence if you're looking for a quick fix.  Had an issue where a cleric ran into a guardhouse, circlejerk healed with a druid, came back out.  He isn't an issue anymore, but I doubt that such a practice wouldn't be seen today.

Dedicate it to Healing the Supernatural Afflictions.

Remove mundane healing entirely.  Clerics, for instance, would now only be able to heal afflictions caused by other magic.  This could be tainted wounds from a necromancer, it could be some form of curse, an infection from an ET creature at the most.  Anything really that isn't mundane.  There would then be a reason to seek out a cleric, while still making it so there isn't "hand wave, wound go away" stuff.