[✗] [Amendment] Major Healing

Llir

Alright, this will be simple and to the point:

• Major healing is for injuries like losing a limb, losing function of some body part, major wounds, etc.
  • Silent Monks can no longer heal, they can only revive on death.
  • When revived from death, any injuries you sustained leading up to your death will be reversed (same time frame as memory loss).
  • Certain magics can now do major healing as monks could (tentative on specifics from respective lore holders).
    • Ascended, clerics, necromancers, alchemy, monks of moon sect.
    • Druids: Spoke with Jaeden - I don't think this would apply to druids, as their healing is more so herbalism so fixing major injuries isn't really in line with that.
    • Paladins: Spoke with Conspirator - healing is already a very small part of Paladin lore and not very powerful - "We can barely heal broken bones" - so this would not be an option for them.
    • Alchemy: Spoke with Dunstan - It already has lore for this, they would also be able to bypass the limit noted below.
  • Red line: After (one, two?) week(s) the major injuries are permanent (except through alchemy).

NB: Yes I know certain people who like consequence in RP will say "just remove major healing entirely" well right now monks can do it anyways I'm just suggesting transferring the abilities to magic users so that rather than someone saying "I got it fixed at the monks" they actually have to go find a healer and RP it. The reality is that revival and healing are a very ingrained part of our server right now so trying to remove it would be a s**tshow and requires much more debate and work than this change, which would create some dynamic RP. This would at least require effort and would increase the amount of permanent injuries as some people won't bother to seek a healer, won't be able to do it in time, and can no longer BS monk healing at a later date.

The point of this thread is not to debate if the server should have major healing, but just if it is better to have it done by players rather than monks.

EDIT: After reading the comments I see the point some people are making regarding a necessity of monks, so I would now suggest that Monks can still do major healing, but you actually have to go out and find a "Moon Sect" monk as per this post, rather than just saying "the monks fixed it", just the main point of all of this is to make it so people have to actually RP to get major things healed!

3 minutes ago, Llir said:

"just remove major healing entirely"

thank you for summing up my points so I wouldn't have to type it

Legitimately, it's not a horrible system and allows for the creation of roleplay by having players actually seek out healing practitioners instead of just using *(monks*). Making them exclusively linked to revival will solve alot of problems and help remove the eventual crutch of insta-healing everything, so it's a decent proposal.

I am not a proponent for Monk RP.  I know the Admins and staff are having fun with Monk stuff, and it looks neat, but Cloud Temple should not become an RP hub simply because it is a literal safe space with no repercussions and it does not allow for dynamic conflict or substantive RP.  

I'd argue that it should be a 3-5 days AT MOST or you're boned for something like reattaching a limb or regrowing it, however the other magics work, as well. 

Onto the question actually being asked:  if there is to be Major Healing, it should be provided player-side.  Give those Ascended and Clerics a chance to use their magic if its gonna be there.  It promotes more organic Roleplay searching for players then simply having a be-all end-all clinic. 

Some of the best RP I've had on the server was when my character was out desperately looking for a necromancer.  Albeit, it was to learn the magic (not being healed), but it is the same premise.  I imagine it would be great seeing players searching for clerics desperately trying to get that healing before the time runs out.

I am in favor of this suggestion. However.

38 minutes ago, Llir said:

"just remove major healing entirely"

You said it better than I ever could.

EDIT: I take it this is an idea thread? The actual way this will be implemented should be specific and tailored to each Magic. I'm +1ing the idea, but certain Magics should have redlines in regards to this new amendment and there should be some minor differences in how it's worked into the lore. This will also have to fit in with the upcoming Holy rework.

Edited by ChonGojDragonski

I'd rather just have monk insta-heal as a fallback option for whoever wants it.

people dont want repercussions to anything it seems, death, loss of limb, loss of magic, having magic used on you and not being able to counter it, there are downsides to everything

6 hours ago, AGiantPie said:

I'd rather just have monk insta-heal as a fallback option for whoever wants it.

what the pie flavored pie said

you guys have your way of wanting to rp, other people have their way. yeah theres an issue of no consequences of in rp but yknow? If it ain't hurting another group, i say do whatever. if it is causing ooc issues then do something about that?

16 minutes ago, Lark said:

what the pie flavored pie said

you guys have your way of wanting to rp, other people have their way. yeah theres an issue of no consequences of in rp but yknow? If it ain't hurting another group, i say do whatever. if it is causing ooc issues then do something about that?

This argument can literally be extended to every single amendment or suggestion on the server that relates to Roleplay. It's ridiculous and doesn't add anything. Deus Ex Monkina is bad, and almost everyone that Roleplays seriously outside of their clique realizes the implications seeing someone you decapitated yesterday walking around the city streets, and how it's poor quality Roleplay. The amendment will go a long way towards dealing with the Monk bs, and will put it all in one place so the upcoming Holy rework can iron things out.

16 minutes ago, ChonGojDragonski said:

This argument can literally be extended to every single amendment or suggestion on the server that relates to Roleplay. It's ridiculous and doesn't add anything. Deus Ex Monkina is bad, and almost everyone that Roleplays seriously outside of their clique realizes the implications seeing someone you decapitated yesterday walking around the city streets, and how it's poor quality Roleplay. The amendment will go a long way towards dealing with the Monk bs, and will put it all in one place so the upcoming Holy rework can iron things out.

Thats fair, but what if it doesn't stop it?

13 minutes ago, Lark said:

Thats fair, but what if it doesn't stop it?

Stop what? The issue regarding a lack of Roleplay continuity and seeing someone you killed walking around the next day? Regardless of whether or not it'll completely solve the issue, it will remove the excuse of "The Monks" and lower the amount of times it occurs. There is no downside to implementing something like this, so any benefit we get, is worth putting this amendment into place. If it doesn't do the job admirably enough, we'll re approach the issue and see what other steps we can take.

I too agree with AGiantPie, there was no reason to stop the Monks from healing people that want the option. It wasn't forced on anyone and was just an easy way to get RPly healed if you didn't agree with certain RP mutilating your character.

Having to find a healer is a poor, and annoying, replacement. Certain holy groups are inactive or they'd rather RP in their house with one another than RP with others. I've had cases of letters requesting help outright ignored by individuals. Not to mention the Monks didn't try to harm you if you were different.

Not to mention how would this even be enforced? 

We gonna start reporting and banning people over what physical state their character is in? 

It's bad enough that people who don't want to PK in a situation are already shamed and targeted until they do PK (the ridiculous calling someone 'undead' just because they were revived by the monks).

This server has an annoying amount of people who happily mutilate and/or kill without a second thought. Without realizing how strenuous such things can be on the mind. My dad joined the army during Vietnam. He came back traumatized to the point where he refused to tell anyone what he saw. He did what he had to and it still haunted him to his last days but people RP murdering one another, even murdering innocents such as unarmed civilians or children, as no big deal. 

An amendment like this also doesn't account for the amount of people that will attack the character of someone they OOCly don't like for no real IC reason.

9 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

if you didn't agree with certain RP mutilating your character.

What does this mean? Were they powergaming? Were they metagaming? If so, report them. If they weren't, how can you not agree with roleplay? This is one of many things that go towards proving my point. A vast majority of people that don't support things like this only want to roleplay within their own clique and have no interest in interacting with other people on the server, unless it goes exactly their way.

11 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

Having to find a healer is a poor, and annoying, replacement. Certain holy groups are inactive or they'd rather RP in their house with one another than RP with others. I've had cases of letters requesting help outright ignored by individuals. Not to mention the Monks didn't try to harm you if you were different.

Heaven forbid people have to...dare I say? Roleplay on a roleplay server. Your argument can be boiled down to, "It's more convenient to say the Monks healed me, so keep it in place."

13 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

Not to mention how would this even be enforced? 

We gonna start reporting and banning people over what physical state their character is in? 

It's bad enough that people who don't want to PK in a situation are already shamed and targeted until they do PK (the ridiculous calling someone 'undead' just because they were revived by the monks). 

Yes, we should start reporting and banning people who essentially powergame injuries and acting as if nothing happened. As for your complaint regarding calling someone Undead, I'm not sure what you want people to do IC? If I killed someone the other day for doing X in a city, and then the very next day I see them in said city trying to do something, OFC I'm going to assume they're Undead. And often times, these people you kill will continue trying to roleplay with you, completely negating any of the conflict that happened earlier.

15 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

This server has an annoying amount of people who happily mutilate and/or kill without a second thought.

Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe because there are no consequences to mutilating or killing someone? Why shouldn't my character kill someone if he knows they'll come back to life? Can you give me a reason?

15 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

An amendment like this also doesn't account for the amount of people that will attack the character of someone they OOCly don't like for no real IC reason.

This would be against the rules, and if it happened, report it. You're against arguments that put down X Magic because people powergame it right? I've seen you tell people to report the person doing something like this instead of getting rid of the whole system. That same argument applies to this right now. Just because one or two people might try and abuse this rule doesn't mean the entire rule should be removed. This is literally what 501Warhead did with the capture rules, and you also said that it was a poor change.

I'd rather have Ascended and Clerics instant-healing rather than Monks, as it creates RP. However, instant-healing is still something I am massively against if there aren't any significant drawbacks to such.

1 hour ago, ChonGojDragonski said:

What does this mean? Were they powergaming? Were they metagaming? If so, report them. If they weren't, how can you not agree with roleplay? This is one of many things that go towards proving my point. A vast majority of people that don't support things like this only want to roleplay within their own clique and have no interest in interacting with other people on the server, unless it goes exactly their way.

Heaven forbid people have to...dare I say? Roleplay on a roleplay server. Your argument can be boiled down to, "It's more convenient to say the Monks healed me, so keep it in place."

Yes, we should start reporting and banning people who essentially powergame injuries and acting as if nothing happened. As for your complaint regarding calling someone Undead, I'm not sure what you want people to do IC? If I killed someone the other day for doing X in a city, and then the very next day I see them in said city trying to do something, OFC I'm going to assume they're Undead. And often times, these people you kill will continue trying to roleplay with you, completely negating any of the conflict that happened earlier.

Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe because there are no consequences to mutilating or killing someone? Why shouldn't my character kill someone if he knows they'll come back to life? Can you give me a reason?

This would be against the rules, and if it happened, report it. You're against arguments that put down X Magic because people powergame it right? I've seen you tell people to report the person doing something like this instead of getting rid of the whole system. That same argument applies to this right now. Just because one or two people might try and abuse this rule doesn't mean the entire rule should be removed. This is literally what 501Warhead did with the capture rules, and you also said that it was a poor change.

You're right, definitely should report people for crap, but they don't. You are correct that people want to roleplay within their own clique, it's a server...of roleplayers. People will gravitate towards those they want to roleplay with. Birds of a feather flock together, etc etc. You're right, people do want the convenience of Monks healing them, and it is bs for some people, but like...okay? We've been around for 7-8 years, at this point most people have gotten used to it/put up with it. I mean, when I got my ******* finger cut off by the flays @Jakesimonson, they cut off my middle finger for i don't remember. But I thought it was good rp at the time and chose to keep the injury. I didn't have it healed by monks, (also they tossed it in the water, so i was **** out of luck anyways) and it became a vital marking of Lark Steelwall. The ability for people to pick and choose what happens to them...is kinda bad, but also kinda good. Why? If **** happens, and it will--people can just kinda slide on by and move on with their lives. Dragging **** out with a ban report only causes more drama and sometimes it doesn't change anything at all. Congrats you got someone banned, did they learn from it? Sometimes. 

There are no real consequences to killing and mutilating someone because we as a community have simply become numb to it. I've seen newer/less experienced roleplayers just ******* stab people for roleplaying weird people. It's savage and I think is more of a reflection of a person's judgment of different things than a matter of roleplay. 

We the players have to encourage and facilitate quality roleplay and proper consequences, by relying upon rules and changes to magic, what does it do but restrict what people want to do? People want to have fun, if the fun isn't ruining anyone else's fun, let them do as they will. The rules...are just guidelines for proper behavior. If people can't uphold them or care to listen, than what are they but a bunch of words typed up by a potato farmer.

Nah, sorry. The only way to ever actually interact with anyone involved in magic is to be involved in their OOC skype/discord circle. Same way for anyone to get taken as a student for any type of magic. This is why magic users seclude themselves from a majority of the server, because if it isn't done their way then they won't interact with you. Meaning if you want a quick heal badly because you were attacked and mutilated by bandits the day before and have an important RP you have to do that day your screwed because that mage is too busy RPing with their friend circle or already has a group of friends lined up to heal first via paragraph RP.

Though I am a fan of some type of legitimate rule revolving around perma-kill if it has legitimate reasoning. But that's a topic for another post.