[Completed][Completed] Why holy healing is not a bad thing

__WaterFox__

Healing magic isn’t a bad thing in of itself to have in fantasy. Why? It’s fantasy you come for fantasy and not real world practices, even the more mundane healing has some sort of spin in fantasy that makes the ordinary become extraordinary. Not to mention most people don’t know their tibia from your fibula much less the nuances of medical practice, so ‘magic’ is often a good way to avoid accidentally becoming a doctor and still have some good writing to explain how injuries are dealt with.

Now, onto the arguments lotc is presenting for the most part: healing magic takes away consequences and provides bad roleplay. For the most part I genuinely floored that these two arguments are being made when the more famous healers on the server are either a.) people actually working in the medical field writing as their knowledge allows in terms of magic or b.) people who don’t understand jack about anatomy but make it up for by making their magic have flair. I honestly do not know where the “bad rp” part comes in until you look at the person being healed and not the magic or magic users themselves, which is something all rp healers discuss in ooc. So you can rest well knowing that we too bemoan about how people come to us after making some stupid decision, demanded to be healed, and then go away without so much as a thank you. Not our fault other people refuse to acknowledge the consequences of their actions.

However, I do think healing magic could be changed so it provides rp, but not by nerfing it all. I actually believe that the cap for what can be healed (regenerating limbs, restoring blindness, or injuries that cannot all be healed at once by a tier 5) needs to be removed and replaced with the stipulation that the injury can be healed in three-five sessions depending on the amount that needs to be healed AND all the sessions need to be conducted with the same healer. This means that that person who desires to be healed must form a relationship with the healer, which in my mind would be far more interesting in terms of handling egregious wounds and healing rp in general. As for the lesser injuries, I actually enjoy the idea of the person being healed having to pray with the healer and/or not deny aenguls or the specific aengul of the healer.

So… Don’t nerf healing magic, actually fix the way it’s done so more rp is created and not less.

Edited by Snelfma

People who are dumb enough to just lose limbs and that of the sort shouldn't just be like "oh I'll just get my limbs re-grown somehow..."

3 minutes ago, MightyTom said:

People who are dumb enough to just lose limbs and that of the sort shouldn't just be like "oh I'll just get my limbs re-grown somehow..."

So! A town gets raided by the likes of Oren. The raiders decide they are going to cut off everyone's right hand just because they can. Is it stupid that a populace that gets ganked will suddenly get ganked by a group that will always have the larger number by sheer virtue of people preferring to start off with human characters?

5 minutes ago, Snelfma said:

So! A town gets raided by the likes of Oren. The raiders decide they are going to cut off everyone's right hand just because they can. Is it stupid that a populace that gets ganked will suddenly get ganked by a group that will always have the larger number by sheer virtue of people preferring to start off with human characters?

Maybe the town should consider submitting to the raider demands instead of hard-shouldering the raids, getting slaughtered and trying to dampen the consequences with magic / monks / raid rules.

1 minute ago, Medvekoma said:

Maybe the town should consider submitting to the raider demands instead of hard-shouldering the raids, getting slaughtered and trying to dampen the consequences with magic / monks / raid rules.

And if the raiders just don't give a ****? Unfair situations do exist.

1 minute ago, Snelfma said:

And if the raiders just don't give a ****? Unfair situations do exist.

Then negotiate their unjustified targeting instead of trying to shrug off consequences.

And this goes to combat situations as well, referring to the healing magics. One shouldn't just shrug off consequences. A combat situatinon should have a proper threat to it.

Just now, Medvekoma said:

Then negotiate their unjustified targeting instead of trying to shrug off consequences.

And this goes to combat situations as well, referring to the healing magics. One shouldn't just shrug off consequences. A combat situatinon should have a proper threat to it.

That's all well and dandy, but by your logic combat escalation should be a thing. It's always immediately to swords. Swords are sharp and pointy and perfect for cutting your foe into tasty ribbons. Most fights I witness could've easily been resolved with fisticuffs instead of immediately going to lethal force. Try again.

6 minutes ago, Medvekoma said:

I keep seeing people say that it's letting them shrugging off the consequences. Would you use the same argument if someone replaced their hand with a runed limb that is arguably more useful than a normal hand? Or is that a solution. Also, I think you missed the point about people ******* over people just because they can. Not everything is the vicitim's fault

Edited by Snelfma

Runed limbs are weaker than normal arms afaik

call powergaming if it has no downsides!

19 minutes ago, MightyTom said:

One does not simply regrow their limbs though through Holy Magic. For example, Ascended can't heal the stump of someone's arm, and regardless if we did when it's in an early stage, we would simply transmat a mortal wound which would easily kill us. Losing a limb is both a traumatising and painful experience, coupled with extensive blood-loss and sensitivity. Something often misinterpreted is that Holy Magic can heal even the most extensive wounds. It can't, it has limits and ultimately there are things which healing cannot undo.

3 minutes ago, Snelfma said:

I keep seeing people say that it's letting them shrugging off the consequences. Would you use the same argument if someone replaced their hand with a runed limb that is arguably more useful than a normal hand? Or is that a solution. Also, I think you missed the point about people ******* over people just because they can. Not everything is the vicitim's fault

1 minute ago, Man of Respect said:

That is correct. During the summer of 2016 there was a rise in golem limbs (with the rise of golemancers) and the lore team published a clarification page. Can't find it quick, but it's specifically stated that replacement limbs all have their downsides.

1 minute ago, Man of Respect said:

The downsides of Golem Limbs is that they take a quarter of your life in exchange, and are slower. They're inherently superior to a normal limb in almost every other way. They're also a right bstard to repair. An elf can only live to 750 if they get a single rune limb, and the debuff stacks. Get two and you have 1/4th less of 750. 

2 minutes ago, GildedDuke said:

One does not simply regrow their limbs though through Holy Magic. For example, Ascended can't heal the stump of someone's arm, and regardless if we did when it's in an early stage, we would simply transmat a mortal wound which would easily kill us. Losing a limb is both a traumatising and painful experience, coupled with extensive blood-loss and sensitivity. Something often misinterpreted is that Holy Magic can heal even the most extensive wounds. It can't, it has limits and ultimately there are things which healing cannot undo.

I have personally seen the Ascended replace an eye from /nothing/ before. Your current lore may support this, or it may not. This is admittedly from February 2017, but this is why people keep mentioning it in this context. 

1 minute ago, Medvekoma said:

That is correct. During the summer of 2016 there was a rise in golem limbs (with the rise of golemancers) and the lore team published a clarification page. Can't find it quick, but it's specifically stated that replacement limbs all have their downsides.

Still, the argument you're using would mean the runed limbs are just avoiding consequences. I'll use another example then, with the same rp (finding someone+using whatever heal thingy they bear) is a regeneration potion avoiding consequences? Yes, you do have to kill someone for it, but you also have to find a holy mage to heal you for the sessions I recommended.

1 minute ago, The Templar said:

The downsides of Golem Limbs is that they take a quarter of your life in exchange, and are slower. They're inherently superior to a normal limb in almost every other way. They're also a right bstard to repair. An elf can only live to 750 if they get a single rune limb, and the debuff stacks. Get two and you have 1/4th less of 750. 

That is untrue. Golem limbs may be sturdier than flesh, but they are in no way more powerful. The power of a punch hinges on the momentum of the fist, which is calculated p = m*v, a factor of weight and speed. Though the weight of a golem arm may be higher, its speed is considerably lower, making a punch with a golem arm pack the same strength as a normal arm's punch.