[✗] Chronomancy - Manipulating Time

Paleo

1 hour ago, Sorcerous said:

we are now criticizing parts of a magic, that haven't been written. future-magic-critique - we don't even need this chronomancy stuff if we can see into the future already.

That's the thing, this isn't needed. That's why I'm so suspicious of it. 

1 minute ago, drfate786 said:

That's the thing, this isn't needed. That's why I'm so suspicious of it. 

That's not what Aelesh is getting at. What he's saying is that you're applying some of the abilities in the magic in real life right now as to predict what will happen to the magic. It was not supposed to be taken literally.

Bottom line is, we do not want this as a combat magic, it should not be. And I am sure the LM will do everything to keep it that way.

1 hour ago, Paleo said:

That's not what Aelesh is getting at. What he's saying is that you're applying some of the abilities in the magic in real life right now as to predict what will happen to the magic. It was not supposed to be taken literally.

Bottom line is, we do not want this as a combat magic, it should not be. And I am sure the LM will do everything to keep it that way.

Shouldn't be an issue, as long as it doesn't reverse buildings being burnt to the ground and cause objects to be flung at people it's fine. It's if people begin to use it for combat that I'll have issues with it, especially if used with other magics to do so. 

Generally, the LT are working to remove the vast number of Magics we have at the moment.

The Kha variant of this type of Magic didn't work/doesn't work.

Not too sure this will either. Time is a very complex subject, especially given the setting our characters find themselves in.

I have to say, given that Shamans cannot use Spirits of Time and Space (for good reason) I would imagine the same applies here.

We do not need time magic on Lotc. But Smaw's comment pretty much sums up my opinion on this.

Well, it's a nice piece of lore, but I also assume that there is only a small chance of it getting accepted, due to the LT clean-up of most forms of magic and trying to balance magic more carefully! However, I wish you good luck with this piece of lore! ❤️

To add to my previous point, a spade is not a weapon, but it can be weaponised- the same applies here.

What stops a Chronomancer from setting a field on fire, reverting it back in time, and then speeding it up when their target gets into the region of effect?

Unless I've missed some red lines, in which case, forgive my midnight laziness.

4 minutes ago, Smaw said:

To add to my previous point, a spade is not a weapon, but it can be weaponised- the same applies here.

What stops a Chronomancer from setting a field on fire, reverting it back in time, and then speeding it up when their target gets into the region of effect?

Unless I've missed some red lines, in which case, forgive my midnight laziness.

Rewinding time is more difficult than running time forwards. The more change that is being enacted by running time backwards, the more difficult the change is to complete. Setting a field on fire and then running time backwards would be, very, very, very difficult. If you did that, you'd be completely spent. In fact, I don't think you could do it without killing yourself. You wouldn't even have enough mana to run time forwards on that field again. What's more, setting the field on fire again is a big change. That would also require a ridiculous amount of mana to accomplish. The idea is simply so impractical you'd never do it.

Edited by Sorcerous

2 minutes ago, Sorcerous said:

Rewinding time is more difficult than running time forwards. The more change that is being enacted by running time backwards, the more difficult the change is to complete. Setting a field on fire and then running time backwards would be, very, very, very difficult. If you did that, you'd be completely spent. In fact, I don't think you could do it without killing yourself. You wouldn't even have enough mana to run time forwards on that field again. What's more, setting the field on fire again is a big change. That would also require a ridiculous amount of mana to accomplish. The idea is simply so impractical you'd never do it.

Then I have to ask- why bring a field forward in time at all? So that you can predict something and prevent it? This kind of RP would essentially negate all other RP on the server that was deemed antagonistic or against the Chronomancers wishing.

If they do change the field in some preventative measure, time is changed, and someone can come along and do something else. A Chronomancer could theoretically spend their whole life tending to one patch of land.

My only concern is the real progression value of RP this might provide.

Time magic as a theme should not be touched here, and I've no feedback to give as to 'make the magic better' because I believe that fundamentally time magic can never work here- We've had time magic go through roughly five changes whilst I've been here, and not once has it actually been fixed. Plus, if we are truly going through a lore purge, adding this would be the last thing we should be doing. Overall, I do not believe it is needed at all.

I have many reservations with this, primarily the ability to see into the future and past. I do not believe the powerscale of LotC, nor nature of LotC would allow for such. Plus it can, and most likely will be abused for metagaming. I have a few more issues, but most people have said them. I think we SHOULD have time magic, but it should be MUCH MUCH weaker. Not manipulate time within a minute or few with spells. Magic items could have more effects on time. I've been writing one too and would love to throw ideas at you

1 minute ago, Lark said:

I have many reservations with this, primarily the ability to see into the future and past. I do not believe the powerscale of LotC, nor nature of LotC would allow for such. Plus it can, and most likely will be abused for metagaming. I have a few more issues, but most people have said them. I think we SHOULD have time magic, but it should be MUCH MUCH weaker. Not manipulate time within a minute or few with spells. Magic items could have more effects on time. I've been writing one too and would love to throw ideas at you

Seeing into the future is essentially useless since there's millions of possible futures that are unlikely to even take place. A mage wouldn't have any form of foresight, as it has been detailed within the redlines.

Seeing into the past requires being there with a person that witnessed something in the past. There's many more requirements than even mental magic has. So I would not judge this as overpowered.

The system that was put in place ensures that time can only be manipulated in a linear amount of ways.

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

Future sight has been specifically written such that you cannot metagame with it. Finding a future that lines up exactly with the present is simply impossible. If someone does that, you just ban them for metagaming, because you cannot do it under any circumstances here. Future sight is intended as a means to see many potential futures - it's a religious or spiritual experience. Sampling the many trillions of ways the universe can turn out. Enjoying the splendour of probability, potentiality and chance.