[✗] Chronomancy - Manipulating Time

Paleo

1 minute ago, Paleo said:

Seeing into the future is essentially useless since there's millions of possible futures that are unlikely to even take place. A mage wouldn't have any form of foresight, as it has been detailed within the redlines.

Seeing into the past requires being there with a person that witnessed something in the past. There's many more requirements than even mental magic has. So I would not judge this as overpowered.

The system that was put in place ensures that time can only be manipulated in a linear amount of ways.

How it works on paper and how it works on practice will be very different. Could you provide some emote examples of how it would be used? I wouldn't be happy with it, but I'd be willing to accept that so theres like a basic guideline of: "This is how you should do it" because people will try to exploit it, just like how we've seen mental magic used for wonderful rp.

7 minutes ago, Smaw said:

Then I have to ask- why bring a field forward in time at all? So that you can predict something and prevent it? This kind of RP would essentially negate all other RP on the server that was deemed antagonistic or against the Chronomancers wishing.

If they do change the field in some preventative measure, time is changed, and someone can come along and do something else. A Chronomancer could theoretically spend their whole life tending to one patch of land.

My only concern is the real progression value of RP this might provide.

You cannot predict events with chronomancy. At all. Under any circumstances. There are trillions of possible futures, and finding one that lines up with the present is simply impossible.

Then, continuously moving that field back in time would be futile, wouldn't it? The magic is not all powerful, since there are some things that are too difficult for it to do, like continuously protecting a field against people's changes. You have, in writing that, discovered a limit to the magic, in that you can totally counteract it by exhausting the mage, or interrupting their ritual, etc, etc.

7 minutes ago, Sorcerous said:

You cannot predict events with chronomancy. At all. Under any circumstances. There are trillions of possible futures, and finding one that lines up with the present is simply impossible.

Then, continuously moving that field back in time would be futile, wouldn't it? The magic is not all powerful, since there are some things that are too difficult for it to do, like continuously protecting a field against people's changes. You have, in writing that, discovered a limit to the magic, in that you can totally counteract it by exhausting the mage, or interrupting their ritual, etc, etc.

Then ultimately, what's the point?

I like it.

12 minutes ago, Smaw said:

Then ultimately, what's the point?

What's the point of a druid growing a tree? What's the point of arcane art with arcanism? What's the point of blessing someone with courage? What's the point of cursing someone to fear the colour yellow? There are many magics that have purely aesthetic, interesting mechanics in them. Chronomancy, like them, has both very aesthetic and very usable spells.

Just now, Sorcerous said:

What's the point of a druid growing a tree? What's the point of arcane art with arcanism? What's the point of blessing someone with courage? What's the point of cursing someone to fear the colour yellow? There are many magics that have purely aesthetic, interesting mechanics in them. Chronomancy, like them, has both very aesthetic and very usable spells.

All of these things are clear in their intentions. What you're proposing here is somewhat vague, and most definitely something that can be used in combat or to inconvenience others.

For example: Freezing things in place, allowing things to appear at later times, et cetera.

It doesn't matter whether you write "can't be used in combat" because people will always find a way or inevitably re-write it with additions that supplement that desire.

I would also advise against grandfathering because it's altogether a bad idea.

Anyone who gets the Magic should have to progress at the normal rate.

5 minutes ago, Smaw said:

All of these things are clear in their intentions. What you're proposing here is somewhat vague, and most definitely something that can be used in combat or to inconvenience others.

For example: Freezing things in place, allowing things to appear at later times, et cetera.

It doesn't matter whether you write "can't be used in combat" because people will always find a way or inevitably re-write it with additions that supplement that desire.

Suspension requires a lengthy ritual, and thus cannot be used in combat. Freezing things in place during combat would indeed make for a poor magic. If something is found that is frozen in place, lodestones were created specifically so that anyone can unfreeze them by breaking the lodestone, which literally just requires being dropped.

If people find a way to circumvent a red line, something that you are not allowed to circumvent, they should be magic blacklisted. If an addition is written that allows these things to be used in combat, it should be denied.

Again, you're criticizing something that hasn't been written. I agree with you, one hundred percent, that any of these abilities used in combat would be much too much. Thus, they each take progressively more emotes to even begin casting, and require that you can move easily and carefully to draw your chronomantic marks (which were made with the express purpose of stopping people from using the magic in combat since they are so precise, disallowing any kind of roleplay loophole).

If an addition is written that allows this to be used in combat, deny it.

Edited by Sorcerous

6 minutes ago, Smaw said:

It’s reasonable yes. But that would imply the magic would not be able to start teaching and thus spreading until after a few months. Crucial months to pass for example an activity trial that the LT put in place.

But that’s something that can be considered for a change and doesn’t impact things a whole lot.

Edited by Paleo

7 minutes ago, Paleo said:

It’s reasonable yes. But that would imply the magic would not be able to start teaching and thus spreading until after a few months. Crucial months to pass for example an activity trial that the LT put in place.

But that’s something that can be considered for a change and doesn’t impact things a whole lot.

Which should be the natural order of things. The LT should take that into consideration with these kinds of things.

LT get it right!

10 minutes ago, Sorcerous said:

Suspension requires a lengthy ritual, and thus cannot be used in combat. Freezing things in place during combat would indeed make for a poor magic. If something is found that is frozen in place, lodestones were created specifically so that anyone can unfreeze them by breaking the lodestone, which literally just requires being dropped.

If people find a way to circumvent a red line, something that you are not allowed to circumvent, they should be magic blacklisted. If an addition is written that allows these things to be used in combat, it should be denied.

Again, you're criticizing something that hasn't been written. I agree with you, one hundred percent, that any of these abilities used in combat would be much too much. Thus, they each take progressively more emotes to even begin casting, and require that you can move easily and carefully to draw your chronomantic marks (which were made with the express purpose of stopping people from using the magic in combat since they are so precise, disallowing any kind of roleplay loophole).

If an addition is written that allows this to be used in combat, deny it.

We could probably argue over the ins and outs and possibilities of this for hours, but the main point I made still holds.

If this were submitted as some kind of ET Magic then I wouldn't have any issue, but because it's suggested as a Magic the community can use, I'm concerned about it being added.

We're already saturated with flavour as is. In the midst of cutting out old Magics, is this really the time for something else?

I don't hate the idea of the Magic- it's probably the best iteration of its kind we've seen on the server, but in my mind it doesn't have a place as of yet.

59 minutes ago, Lark said:

How it works on paper and how it works on practice will be very different. Could you provide some emote examples of how it would be used? I wouldn't be happy with it, but I'd be willing to accept that so theres like a basic guideline of: "This is how you should do it" because people will try to exploit it, just like how we've seen mental magic used for wonderful rp.

(Not really emotes but, shorten it, cut out the flavour, do it over a couple of hours with other people chiming in, etc, etc. It's a taste anyway.)

The sun had risen perhaps an hour ago. Sunlight poured into the room like golden syrup. It spilt over the floor. It rose in waves on the walls. The lens, glistened with the light that ran round and around its many faces, shimmering across edge after edge. He watched this with infinite fascination. He saw each flickering yellow streak as a pathway. A choice. A knot in the pattern of destiny.

His eyes fluttered closed, punctuated by a long exhale. His lungs emptied themselves into the room, before his lips welcomed the air once again. The rhythm cleared his mind of clutter. Little by little he was reduced to the nothingness he sought. Light shimmered on his hands as they melted away. Slowly but surely, skin became crystal, bone became glass. The lens continued to glitter with sunlight that filtered into now spectral fingers. He felt his legs lighten, felt them melt away. Beneath the boots, beneath the robes, his footing on reality ebbed and faded to nothing. The light filtered into his heart as his skin turned to amethyst, revealing the organ within for a split second before it too, faded into that ghost-like image. His flaxen hair faded to tubes of glowing gold as the sunlight refracted through them. His eyes were reduced to dead portholes, devoid of their spark. Raising the lens, he focused his numb mind upon the task. Feeling it rise and fall, rise and fall within him. The waters on the shoreline. Seeing the-

There was a tower. A township. A child marveled at the silhouette that stood in the sunlight, the eyes that peered in at the world. Then - forest. This world was filled with the sound of birds. Something huge flew overhead, crashing into the westward forest. Another sun poured through the lens, closer than he expected. Warmer. The lens was warm in his hands. Then, stepping rightward through the paths of probability, a road travelling northward. A merchant looked up from his stall, mouth agape at the figure that stood in the sunlight, before it moved on. Before the lens ripped him away. Rightward again, another road that traveled eastward. A dwarf stood over the corpse of his kinsmen. Claw marks scarred the flesh of the corpse. A wolf lay dead in the sunlight, flies writhing in every arrow wound. The dwarf saw the death-god who had come to spirit the soul of his brother away, just for a split second. Glass in the sunlight. Then-

The chronomancer recoiled from the lens, flinging it across the room. A world without stars. A world, of tentacle, fang, and hate. Another apocalypse. Another world where things had taken a turn for the worse. A tear rolled down a cheek that once more became mortal. Too many unfortunate ends. Much, much too many.

Edited by Sorcerous

chronomancy was cool when it was a kharajyr-only magic

but then it got given out to elves and became just another generic magic to compliment other voidal magics used by people that don't give two fucks about Metzli.

I really like this concept. Good job Paleo!