[✓] [Lore Addition] The Black Books

osumanduas

Spoiler

MOOD MUSIC

The Black Books

IW-hsk43kmlQ8emMEVM4KsCDI5AL-Pyx-3NvKLbL5F4y7E7az7wzCPOh17unHV55FVfSWp-bpb2NxPsiKsCiC-sDPblzuPHLuNLFVTZCSkWS9Q_e1OCm11eYQxAwiwWpbsIhDdHQ

“The deepest secrets of the sorcerer were replicated by others who were cursed by the horrors he created. Whatever crude writings that lie within those pages, it is not for mortal eyes. They are despicable and all traces of such writings should be destroyed”

- Randolf Elgan, Aeldinic Archivist c. 1421

The Black Books are a collection of manuscripts copied from the original grimoire of Gedym aep Helgraen, the primogeniture of all Vampire-kind. Each book contains the same set of runes and inscriptions that allow for the successful creation of Greater Strigae. Upon the disappearance of the first, his servants began the tradition of transcribing his discoveries. The rituals by which Helgraen created his ilk, passed down through an unbroken chain of successive Striga Elders and their respective Covens.

C. 1530, Dreylan and Emrick aep Anerhyd are spat from the open sea to settle among the descendants of Vailor. It is said that the pair emerged from Felsen port having docked their flimsy dingy to take shelter from a storm brewing out across the Dogger Bay. Both entrepreneurial men, they carried four copies of Helgraen’s grimoire between them. Each was successful for a brief time, they carved a coven from the domain of the descendants. This was brought to a halt with the Felsen fires which ravaged the city and flamed the market district which included aep Anerhyd’s own Busty Bruxa. His share of the manuscript lost in the then smouldering flame, his counterpart dissipating in its destruction with his half.

C. 1635, The Elder Dreylan reappeared in colonized Axios as Herald, entrusting the remaining manuscripts to Sascha van der Linden and Ser Thomas Wettlock. The two hoarded and hid the knowledge from Iestyn Wold whom reigned over the Coven as Elder. A resurgence of vampiric activity is recorded within the city of Metz in Lotharingia. Dreylan's progeny Ser Henry Horen, known as ‘the Lancer,’ detached himself from the authority of the Coven.

C. 1632, fledgling Friedrich Augustus proclaimed himself to be Lord over vampire-kind. The Lancer’s progeny, both greater and lesser, began an epidemic from the safety of Xionist Devirad. due to lack of learned knowledge, many monstrosities roamed the countryside without heed to the Unseen Code. Those few were declared anathema, once again, the progeny of aep Anerhyd were left to put down the upstart blood and reassert the tenants of the Unseen over the New World Coven.

The Black Books have been in the hands of the old world coven for centuries now, permitting the eldest of brood unfettered transfusion. Transfusion of the blood without proper knowledge is considered a crude or desperate by those of the Blood as few, if any, survive the process. The meat that rejects the vampiric curse degenerates into madness, becoming a monstrosity. Thus, only an Elder with proper preparation stands to turn their candidates with some assured success.  

The amendment proposed is that the creation of Striga relic on a simple roll system out of twenty. When one is in possession of one of the four Black Books the result must be 10+. If there is no book present one must obtain a roll of 17+. The role in question must then be posted as evidence within the creature application. If the roll is failed the result is that the character in question dies outright, or degenerates into an Upir.

Yeah look, this is definitely great and something we adhere to IC'ly already. Let's make it solid lore

How many books would there be though? I take it that they are special books and copies can't be made willy nilly so I'm curious about the number and if possible how more would be made by the strigae kind. Otherwise I think this would be an interesting addition to their lore.

5 hours ago, Hoster102 said:

How many books would there be though? I take it that they are special books and copies can't be made willy nilly so I'm curious about the number and if possible how more would be made by the strigae kind. Otherwise I think this would be an interesting addition to their lore.

To answer your question:

6 hours ago, Jacko said:

Both entrepreneurial men, they carried four copies of Helgraen’s grimoire between them

As for the addition of more, I would say that keeping four copies in circulation seems more than generous given the general size of the Strigoy community.

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

To answer your question:

As for the addition of more, I would say that keeping four copies in circulation seems more than generous given the general size of the Strigoy community.

My apologies, I must've overlooked that haha. Nice, I'm with rollforwitches, +1.

Thank you for submitting your piece, it is now under review. A verdict shall be given in 2 weeks, give or take.

Thread is being locked to prevent sneak edits to the lore while voting occurs. If you have feedback regarding the lore that you wish to pass to the LT, feel free to toss me a PM.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.