Lark

Lark's Community Outreach Attempt #014, AMA/Intro

@Space Shoutout for introducing me to Math Rock

Originally I was going to use the above song for some creative writing but writer's block is a *****. So I figured I'll just like...rip off Cappy from way back when and do Meet the Lark. But I doubt anyone remembers those Meet the series videos for TF2. God I'm old. I'm so so old I can drink, and in...20 days...5 months I'll be the legal american for drinking + 1 so ya'll can figure that out. I don't think I ever did a legit introduction back in 2011 because I couldn't get accepted and contrary to popular belief, I do not consider myself an Aegis player even though I've been around since then. I didn't get accepted until the very end and then I played on Asulon for a bit until I got frustrated with starving so damn much because no one in Solace would give me bread! I'm not gonna comment on how the server was back then because this isn't like, one of those rants about how the server is x, y and z. This is more of an optional one-sided conversational ramble you can choose to read and learn about me because as a GM I figure most people should know who I am so they know who to blame when they get smited in the lobby ?

My real name is Carl. So before I continue, get the jokes out of the way. Do it. I'm used to them. The llamas. The Wheezers. Go on. I'll wait. It isn't so much that it's old now its just...I've heard it all. Now look at my username, and back to me. Now my username, now your feet. You see, my username originates from a desire to have a unique, cool, username for myself. If you've read 'Ready Player One', the main character had a unique name, Parzival. As a kid in 2011, I thought that was hella cool. But apparently, someone else did too. So Origin_Lark became my username because I thought, yeah I'm the original (I wasn't, all lies) and it was a great username (also lies). Eventually, I would change this to _Lark_ because I wanted the main focus to be Lark and I was tired of being referred to as 'origin' instead of Lark. As most people leaned towards such. 

I've been on the staff team for at least a majority of my LotC Career, starting on the ET under firespirit (not heart, there is a difference), and eventually become a GM under some shade high elf dude. It was all well and good and I tried my best. I do miss ET because it was fun running events for people, but eventually, I graduated to being a DM and I've run 2 successful year long campaigns so far and going for my third. Which will take place in an apocalyptic fantasy setting where people got dumb and created a sentient tumor that brought a whole bunch of fantasy nasty. It sounds dumb but I can't risk my players SOMEHOW finding LotC and seeing spoilers. Ask me about it if you're interested, I'll probably make it a discord RP for people to get involved in so I can use it as an excuse to worldbuild more and get free writers for such. But uh, yeah after ET was GM which I've been on and off since 2015. Its been a month now and I'm still blue...and now green. I'm Teal. Teal Team best Team. I expect my grave in the GM Team to be broken because of how many times I climb out again(in? because the community is stressful) I tend to leave quietly because I end up coming back but I feel like if I were to leave again, I'd say something so I don't come back..for realsies.

My hobbies include writing, playing guitar in the classical and jazz genres(nearly 9 years now + 7 years of violin before that which i dont do anymore), I've TRIED to woodcarve but I'm not very good at it. I'm also a geology major so your standard outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, hiding corpses, and studying local rock outcrops are definitely up there. I enjoy the Earth and it's people, and I'm certainly someone who does not want to see our already scarce resources depleted so sustainability is a must. I could go on about that political crap but I'll let you look at my finely organized political ideals here from the politscales thread a while back and you can AMA about that if you like?  Anyways,  games. Pokemon, Mastered. Monster Hunter, Hunted. Uh, list goes on. I'm a gamer through and through, be it virtual or tabletop, always have been, always will be.

Theres nothing particularly extraordinary about me, at least I don't think so. I'm hella outspoken, get overwhelmed with multiple stimuli, and am very passionate/emotional about some issues and that leads me to do some dumb ****. I ain't perfect and I hope to never be. I enjoy interacting with all of you for the most part, obviously, I'm going to butt heads with some people, or make calls that some people will disagree with. I will admit I am biased towards groups (not the wood elves), but most of all I am biased towards the server. I really do have a love-hate relationship with LotC like many do, and will always. Now...give me rep and AMA. 

4 minutes ago, Lark said:

My real name is Carl.

Was a deciding factor for the name Lark because its phonetically "Carl" spelled backwards?

1 minute ago, Dardonas said:

Was a deciding factor for the name Lark because its phonetically "Carl" spelled backwards?

Pretty much. I mean the r and the a are also reversed but yknow. It works

Who's the best brazilian you know?

Apex or no Apex? (shush about it for now tho)

Would you rather date Bluee or Knox? Why?

How do you feel after shamefully broadcasting an emote of yours mid an event?

Who's your main inspiration as a person overall (IRL person or whatever) and as a GM (presumedly someone else from server staff)?

What do you believe is wrong with the current roleplay climate and the current ET and how it functions (if anything)?

Best part of being part of Kai's ET?

If you could remove any major deity magic (on lotc) with no repercussion, which one would it be?

But the real question is do you eat Pineapple on your pizza?????

Be wise young one, your answer is important. 

1 minute ago, Emmalinea said:

if you like pineapple on pizza I am un-adopting myself

14 minutes ago, Ivoryyy_ said:

if you like pineapple on pizza I am un-adopting myself

Haha Ivory ily ❤️

2 minutes ago, Yen said:

Who's the best brazilian you know?

Apex or no Apex? (shush about it for now tho)

Would you rather date Bluee or Knox? Why?

How do you feel after shamefully broadcasting an emote of yours mid an event?

Who's your main inspiration as a person overall (IRL person or whatever) and as a GM (presumedly someone else from server staff)?

Bait Question, you know its you because I don't know any other Brazilians.

You're pretty adamant about doing it so why not

Knox because I know him pretty well and I can give him sweet tender blacksmith loving. Also we both cook so it works out pretty well. 

It won't be the last time considering how COMPETENT I AM WITH COMMANDS

I used to be in martial arts for a while so I have this book called the Karate Dojo by Peter Urban (good book give it a read) and I try to emulate the lifestyle of a martial artist in terms of discipline and principles best I can. I've always struggled with the ideas of masculinity and what it means to be a man and I've found being a man is about sticking to your guns, being confident in what you do, supporting your friends and family, trying your best to not be a **** to others, and really just having some perspective on life. So no one person, too many to name to be honest. As for GM? No one, I am my own breed of blue tag born of wanting to screw around with players and have some fun with them as well as holding to the rules as best as I can. I don't know how the other GMs do their work to be honest. Its something I haven't really paid attention to save for @Karimir who as those that have been subject to us in VC know, talk about mod **** a lot. We have similar styles and he's reminded me of stuff to do as well.

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper98 said:

What do you believe is wrong with the current roleplay climate and the current ET and how it functions (if anything)?

Best part of being part of Kai's ET?

If you could remove any major deity magic (on lotc) with no repercussion, which one would it be?

What I believe is objectively wrong is a lot of people forget that even though the medium is Minecraft, the setting and goal is not. We have let a culture of OOC shenanigans proliferate through the server and it's made roleplay feel less meaningful sometimes. Its why I mute myself in VC so I can focus on roleplay with the character, not the person. That said, I do think OOC is an excellent tool to help organize roleplay between people, conflict related or not and if people focused on that aspect of organizing **** like that, it would be really cool. But drama so...prolly not. As for the ET? I've had mostly good experience with the ET, no complaints on the ones I've had, some inconsistencies in who asks for what rolls on what, and I think that should be standardized, so there is a general formula to follow so that players are dealing with the same mechanics and a system is  built up.

I think @marimbamonk has the right idea with a D&D style system for events, but something simpler. I'm thinking of wounds from 40k where if you take enough wounds, you're unit is out. I think if for events, certain units, a mage elf has 3 wounds, as opposed to a druid elf which has 4, or an orcish warrior has 6. It would help dictate who is gonna last and add  a bit more tension to events. Consequence and death are something sparsely seen on LotC and when enforced, people ***** about it. Sometimes they have the right to because its enforced weirdly but most of the time, they just don't wanna lose their ****. Part of roleplay is loss, failure, imperfection, and failure is the best teacher, and I think events need to show that. Biased time here, YOU gave us a great rp moment when you let me live and have the scar, its been by far my favorite event experience and you spoiled me lol. I don't think ET should be out for blood with PKs and ****, but I think we need to start seeing some scars and **** on some of these people. Scars are sexy LotC ?

Kai was a great leader and had such passion for this server, you couldn't help but get caught up in it. He knew what he wanted to do and how to do it. Just was overall a good time and as a younger guy I def looked up to him and wanted to impress him and ****. I had some dumb event ideas, one of which I regret less so writing so much as doing. Not because of the roleplay, it was fine roleplay. It was just so...so cringey when I think about what I played. It did spur some later **** for D&D though which my players have enjoyed and being an ET inspired me and gave me the experience to do so.

All of them. I don't think there should be any SPECIFIC MAGICS for players. ET? Sure they can handwave all the **** they want as long as it isn't super dumb. But magic, especially holy magic, needs to be flexible for all sorts of beliefs and ideas, and shouldn't be limited to three sects of Cleric, Paladin, and Ascended. They can keep their names and flavor, and whatever minor non combat abilities they get for being one of those, or anything else that spawns is fine. As long as it doesn't affect players and only serves to enhance the flavour of those magics and interactions, its fine by me. Psychopomps are a cool concept imo. As a DM, flavouring stuff is very important, and I think a lot of roleplay ideas could be fixed with more focus on flavour rather than mechanics. Same goes for the demon magics to. Malflame is dumb. Burning someone's soul is dumb. Leave it for the ET, not for players in a free form roleplay format. If there were numbers and HP, sure go ahead. Its just damage with the flavor of it burns your soul. 

22 minutes ago, Algoda said:

Did you get dropped as a child?

Actually, yes. By myself. How? Well you see...back when I was a baby, I apparently had climbed out of my crib in the middle of the night and landed on my bum, causing a sound through the house. When my parents found me in my room, I was laughing my ass off. Sounds like something I'd do. 

17 minutes ago, Emmalinea said:

Dont knock hawaiin pizza until you've tried it. Sweet pineapple with salty greasy bacon and ham on cheese is a ******* miracle. Of course I also have like 3 amazing pizza places by my college campus so I am spoiled. Dominos hawaiin is ****.

Favorite part of LotC?

&

What's one magic you want removed?

2 minutes ago, Bluee said:

Favorite part of LotC?

&

What's one magic you want removed?

The people. Always find amazing people here. 

Mental Magic/Illusion. You can make some damn opitical and auditory illusions and deal with it. Don't need to make illusions of pain and try to put people into shock. Offensive illusions are far and few between in table top games and video games, and most of the time they rely on the enemies being dumb. Mages would literally be scarier if people just made illusionary duplicates of themselves. Mirror Image is a *****

I came to ask a question but as I was reading the first sentence of your AMA I realized it was too long for my tired eyes so why the hell is it so long

10 minutes ago, Lark said:

The people. Always find amazing people here. 

Mental Magic/Illusion. You can make some damn opitical and auditory illusions and deal with it. Don't need to make illusions of pain and try to put people into shock. Offensive illusions are far and few between in table top games and video games, and most of the time they rely on the enemies being dumb. Mages would literally be scarier if people just made illusionary duplicates of themselves. Mirror Image is a *****

Don’t worry 

rewrite pending ? 

What do you think of me?

Will I make a good blacksmith?

How do I make my roleplay better?

Am I lame?

who was the greatest blacksmith to ever grace this server?

lotr or got?