Medieval Food and Racial Foods

firegirl7894523

Medieval food back then was mostly influenced by the Romans, however in LoTC we don’t have Romans, so the ‘change’ in food era never happened. In LoTC, many different types of races have come together to create a mesh of foods. But typically, this was how medieval food and drinks were done. 

medieval-drinking.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/medieval-drinking.jpg

People in the Middle Ages enjoyed to drink, a lot. Water however was often very unclean, filled with animal feces and dead bodies. The poor drank ale, mead, and cider. The rich often could afford a more vast amount of drinks, including wines. Beer was made from barley, but later was expanded to be made differently, and thus the drink was called godale, which funnily enough translates to ‘good beer’. All ale, mead, cider, and beer was made from allspice, junipers, resin, apples, bread-crumbs, sage, lavender, cinnamon, and laurel. A smaller version of beer, called ‘Tiny Beer’, were just sweetened with honey and raspberries. Other drinks, such as wine, added other methods and objects to make fruit, and sour wines.

cooking.jpg

https://quatr.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/cooking.jpg

For food, surprisingly enough the rich hated their greens! Rich people back then viewed veggies and fruits with suspicion, and only ate them with other foods, (such as pies), or dipped in honey. The only plain veggies and fruits the rich would eat was, onions, grapes, garlic, and leeks. Only the poor ate more veggies and fruits, often mixed with stews. The rich later expanded their plates to spices, such as cinnomon, cloves, nutmegs, ginger, saffron, cumin, and mustard. One meal for a rich person would include:

Bread

A vast amount of meats

Lots of fish

Shellfish

Spices

Cheese

Some fruits and little veggies.

The rich only ate tiny portions with more lavish foods, and the poor ate lots of portions with less lavish foods. The rich had an addition for spicy and sweet, and often would pay large amounts of money to buy spices and sweet things. In addition, rich people ate their food with silverware and gold dishes.

Poor people ate strictly with only wooden or horn dishes. Their was knives and forks, but spoons were a big no. They typically slurped up the spoon-able contents. For the poor, they got more fulfilling foods. One meal for a poor person would include:

Bread

Pottage (a type of stew)

Milk and cheese

Fish (only if they lived close/near a body of water)

Veggies and fruit

Nuts

Honey

For the rich and the poor, it was typically three meals a day. Breakfast was 6 to 7am, Lunch was called ‘Dinner’, back then, and was served between noon and 2pm, and finally Supper was 6 to 7pm. Eating meat was highly banned during religious holidays, or the day before the religious holiday.

On LoTC, since we have different races, the different races eat different types of food. Elves eat cookies, breads, salads, stews, soups, rarely or no meat, flowers, rose water, little to no sugar. Some eat loads of meat however, as to respect the balance of life and death. Orcs eat legit anything. Bugs, vermin, meat, veggies, fruit, etc. Dwarves eat Halflings (Frostbeards and some dwarves only), bread, potatoes, Belka’s Milk, Haggis, curry, meats, and Legionnaire Meal. Dwarves do not like fruit or veggies. Kha eat seafood and meat, a drink called Melon Delight, cakes, meat, and yba (Limited to some Kha only, and it’s a practice that died out years ago). Halflings eat bread, drink liquor, carrots, beets, and potatoes. Humans eat typically anything as well.

Sources:

https://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/

Various Discord chats. 

D... Dwarves eat halflings??!

Only the treebeards eat the veggies. And my dwarf is a Frostbeard and he doesn't eat halflings.

I love this.  Delving into racial cuisine is very interesting, and actually important for some combat.  What you eat affects your combat proficiency, build/physique and fatigue.

Edited by TheNanMan2000

1 hour ago, Kim said:

D... Dwarves eat halflings??!

I mean, there was that one time that Larry Hills and his wife were boiled alive and eaten by some dwarves.

3 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I mean, there was that one time that Larry Hills and his wife were boiled alive and eaten by some dwarves.

jesus

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

jesus

Eh, as Dalek once said, dwarves ain't what they used to be.

Anyways, I'm going a bit off topic. Let me contribute a bit more to the whole concept of LoTC food.

Halflings are also well known for eating pastries, cakes, pies, and other desserts on a nearly daily basis. Their villages frequently have steady egg, sugar, and wheat supplies, and thus they put it to good use. It is also not uncommon for a halfling to eat meat, since animals are in basically every halfling village as well.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

I've played elves since I've joined the server, not once has anyone ever said they don't eat meat. They do a lot of hunting, raising livestock, and fishing. Not to mention you contradict yourself by saying they don't eat meat, or eat so rarely, only to then say they eat "loads of meat". I've also never seen an elf eat a flower (unless it were an herb added to food or drink) or drink rose water. Rose tea was a thing with some high elves but even then that's more a love for all sorts of tea. Which... Even though high elves are known for being tea drinkers you don't even mention it. 

Dwarves eating Halflings is more likely a rare case of cannibalism, not anything culture-wise. 

With Kha you didn't mention that they often simply eat raw meat/fish, as they're built to handle such and thus wouldn't need to waste time with cooking. They absolutely adore sweet and sugary foods. Even growing a ridiculous amount of sugar on farms at times just to keep up their supply of the stuff. For drinks they often stick to water, milk, or juices made from fruit and never will touch alcohol for religious reasons. When they do cook they love to add spices, and of course, sugar. 

Oh and to a Kha cocoa is often seen like the most addicting of drugs. One of the Tla's got my kitten to follow him around for a day by having a string of cocoa beans on him.

8 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

8 hours ago, Kim said:

jesus

We killed them yes but never actually ate them.

8 hours ago, Mavromino said:

We killed them yes but never actually ate them.

Oh, sorry. I just assumed that's how it was since they were being baked alive.