Arcane Incantations

Mr. Etan

10 hours ago, GrimReaper98 said:

( ( ( THEM ) ) )

n ot epIK Bro....

Whilst this concept intrigues me, I do have a few inquiries on topics the post isn't really clear about or otherwise doesn't clarify.

1. Do these 'words of power' affect arcane casting (i.e. power, precision, etc.)?
If so, I find this rather unbalanced and impractical as it implies a mage must expose themselves and in short they must learn a completely new language just to operate their spells. I don't think many of us want to jump back onto the forums, delaying roleplay just to make sure we didn't spell or pronounce a word wrong. However, I think it would be a promising aspect if it's just optional for the sake of literature value. Otherwise I don't actually see a need for this to affect the magics themselves. In my opinion it will confuse and disorganise magic roleplay.

2. Following on from my argument in the first point; won't this render voidal magic practically inferior and imbalanced to dark or deity magics?

For the sake of a balance argument, if these 'words of power' are forced upon voidal magics rather than being optional, wouldn't this be a disadvantage against dark magics and deity magics? In a sense it restricts voidal magics compared to these two types and establishes a ridiculous narrative that makes magic roleplay even more convoluted (as I mentioned prior). Once again, this is based upon the idea it's forced rather than optional. Some people enter the world of magic roleplay for a silent and more subtle approach, rather than shouting random and unclear words.

If possible, I would appreciate a response so there might be less confusion and greater clarity for me to establish an overall judgement.

Edited by Gilded

10 minutes ago, Gilded said:

Whilst this concept intrigues me, I do have a few inquiries on topics the post isn't really clear about or otherwise doesn't clarify.

1. Do these 'words of power' affect arcane casting (i.e. power, precision, etc.)?
If so, I find this rather unbalanced and impractical as it implies a mage must expose themselves and in short they must learn a completely new language just to operate their spells. I don't think many of us want to jump back onto the forums, delaying roleplay just to make sure we didn't spell or pronounce a word wrong. However, I think it would be a promising aspect if it's just optional for the sake of literature value. Otherwise I don't actually see a need for this to affect the magics themselves. In my opinion it will confuse and disorganise magic roleplay.

2. Following on from my argument in the first point; won't this render voidal magic practically inferior and imbalanced to dark or deity magics?

For the sake of a balance argument, if these 'words of power' are forced upon voidal magics rather than optional, wouldn't this be a disadvantage to dark magics and deity magics? In a sense it restricts voidal magics compared to these two types and establishes a ridiculous narrative that makes magic roleplay even more convoluted (as I mentioned prior). Once again, this is based upon the idea it's forced rather than optional. Some people enter the world of magic roleplay for a silent and more subtle approach, rather than shouting random and unclear words.

If possible, I would appreciate a response so there might be less confusion and greater clarity for me to establish an overall judgement.

From what I've gathered, it's a purely aesthetic, totally optional addition to your magic. An extra flair with no practical benefit. You're not forced to use it, and using it offers nothing but style points. Thus why this should be a roleplay post.

I agree with others that said to just put it on the roleplay forums instead of posting it as lore as any form of casting magic for the most part is allowed aesthetically. This should probably be moved. But if not this would be cool, my character and others use incantations to a degree. I like the writing down using a runic language. But i feel like the verbal incantation section could use a bit of work. Adding more words to accommodate different a more complex spells for example. 

Ps: Really feeling the hebrew

Edited by Booklight12

14 hours ago, Total_Xanarchy said:

So @HortonHeardAWho had stated that it would take an MA to use what's written in the lore piece. Is this  true, and if so why? Maybe I read that wrong, not sure.

No where is it stated you need an MA. It says you need an MA to cast the magic you're casting. Vaynth explains it in better detail.

9 hours ago, SuperDuckyGamer said:

the translation itself is mostly fine, a few words are either weird or just translated wrong (but honestly who cares)

aside for that, I think that putting something like this in the lore- especially if you mandate it- would be unnecessary, especially because (to me) it implies that mages are incapable of just thinking about what they want to cast and have to say it out loud. If you don't force people to use it, though, I'm sure that lots of mages can enjoy this generally enjoy additional aesthetics like this. +1 for the idea, but I personally think it shouldn't be implemented in lore.

I literally put in several places this is OPTIONAL. The reason why it's being lore submitted is because it's an optional replacement to ears twitch silent casting etc. It also does not hurt to have base lore on incantations that the LT can add on or use if they ever alter the way magic works.

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

1 minute ago, Tox said:

I literally put in several places this is OPTIONAL. The reason why it's being lore submitted is because it's an optional replacement to ears twitch silent casting etc. It also does not hurt to have base lore on incantations that the LT can add on or use if they ever alter the way magic works.

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

my new years resolution is learning how to read

With that aside, though, great lore, I'd love to see this being used in the future.

1 hour ago, Booklight12 said:

I agree with others that said to just put it on the roleplay forums instead of posting it as lore as any form of casting magic for the most part is allowed aesthetically. This should probably be moved. But if not this would be cool, my character and others use incantations to a degree. I like the writing down using a runic language. But i feel like the verbal incantation section could use a bit of work. Adding more words to accommodate different a more complex spells for example. 

Ps: Really feeling the hebrew

See my reply above to superduckygamer on why it's lore submitted. Thanks for the feedback though!

On 7/19/2018 at 5:00 AM, ShameJax said:

בוודאי זה רעיון טוב. זה בעברית מה יותר יכול יהודי לרצות?

הומו לול

Is this going to be allowed for the arcane only, or is this for everyone to use? 

2 hours ago, The Templar said:

Is this going to be allowed for the arcane only, or is this for everyone to use? 

Arcane only, as it be odd to mix it with other magics whilst its primary use is for arcane / voidal magics.

O.o

Tox only wants to bring flavour to casting sheesh

I frankly love the idea of being able to make a nice incantation for when I send shards of ice hurling at people

This lore is merely trying to make magic

uh

Magic?

E.g.

*eye glow
*raises palm - fire appear

*fire grow into ball in palm

*throws fireball

*ded

This is

*Eyes would dilate as they'd curl their fingers inwards, clearing their throat quietly

*Looked up towards the target as he'd say blandly "Chalash Kerach." as a light blue mist enveloped his gauntlet, specks of frost beginning to grow within it

*The ice grew and contorted, as Morgan then bitterly said "Yated." as the ice lengthened out, stretching out to form a sharp point as it'd begin to gently rotate

*Blurted out suddenly "Hikah!" as the ice shard was sent out at high speeds towards the target blablablalba you get the idea

It makes

magic

cool
instead of ****

Edited by Morganosaurus Rex

Spoiler

Thank you for submitting your piece, it is now under review. A verdict shall be given in 1 and a half weeks, give or take.

Thread is being locked to prevent edits to the lore while voting occurs (if you need to make edits, contact me). Also, if you have feedback regarding the lore that you wish to pass to the LT, feel free to toss me a PM.

Edit: It seems I misclicked and sent this to a different place than originally intended. Apologies for the confusion.

This lore has been denied due to not being edited in time. Reason for denial is that we feel the piece is too limiting in terms of the language and would prefer if the mage could use any language so long as it fits the format provided in the lore regarding amount of words/phrases, etc.