[✓] Domesticated Magic

Mr. Etan

CreForeword:

Spoiler

This is meant to be a rewrite of the old household magic lore - Updating it and giving it better clarity than before. 

6f1af667cdb3d5eaa868a2a33e51a6b2.png

Since the beginning of magic and wizardry, mages have always applied magic to daily life to complete simple actions and chores without having to lift a finger. These magics are weakened versions of their more versatile parents allowing any magi to cast them without the need to heavily conditioning themselves in said magic.

Domesticated Magic, or rather, Household Magic is a well practiced form of casual magic that almost most wizards, sorcerers and mages know and pick up upon their first lessons. This magic is a lesser version of the current selection of arcane magic almost as a “sample” of such. Anyone who has established a proper connection to the void and conditioned themselves to maintain such can begin learning household magic from any teacher available.

Though it may be casted on a whim by the best of magi it must be noted the applications of domesticated magic cannot be used for combat in any shape or way as the magic is both too weak to do any practical harm and when adrenaline starts to kick in one cannot particularly maintain focus on such lesser spells.

The following is a list of classified domesticated spells:

Light Flame: A lesser spell of fire evocation allows the casted to spark a flame only powerful enough to light candles, ovens and fireplaces within their home or perhaps burn a letter they no longer want to look at. This is either done with the snap of the fingers or conjuring forth a small flame at the tip of their finger.

Conjure Breeze: A lesser spell of air evocation allows the caster to conjure forth a breeze of air to extinguish flames within the home or perhaps to clean dust and cobwebs off some higher to reach shelves.

Conjure Water: A weaker version of water evocation that allows the caster to conjure forth at most a buckets worth of water. Though the water is not permanent it will stay conjured for as long as it needs to get the job done for either washing the dishes, mopping the floor or washing one's hands. Once finished with the task the conjured water vanishes.

Enchant Broom: A very lesser version of a telekinesis enchantment, this allows the caster to imbue a broom or mop to serve it’s master and clean the home on it’s own. The enchant lasts up until the job is completed before they tuck themselves back into a corner.

Mage Light: A lesser form of transfiguration allowing the caster to conjure forth pure light from the air and radiate the area with light casting away darkness, though it can only reach the brightness of a torch.

Command Object: A lesser form of telekinesis that allows its caster to move objects at the will of its master. Such as commanding a sponge to clean dishes for you or lifting a book off the ground back into its shelf. The caster may only command at most two objects at once such as a sponge and plate or a double set of doors and must maintain focus on the objects being moved. These objects must be light to lift as well nothing overstepping a weight that a weak mage could lift.

Illusive Words: A minor illusion spell that allows the caster to write softly glowing words upon any surface desired, though these words will only last for a mere moment before vanishing into thin air. Oddly enough it affects anyone in the room able to see with no exceptions to only making one person view the wording.

Pick Lock: A minor alteration spell that allows a mage to attempt to undo a lock on a door without knowledge on how to lockpick, though this spell does oddly consume one lockpick from the mage's hand as a price. Due to the complexity of locks the spell has a chance to fail, work, or jam the door. (Follows all current lockpicking rules of the server / may be used in combat as its just a flavorful way to lockpick doors for mages)

Force Lock: A minor telekinesis spell that allows a mage to attempt to break a lock on the door. This, however, may take several attempts until the door finally gives in or jams in the frame itself. One simply casts a flick of their magic at the door to begin the attempt at breaking forcing it open. (Follows all current rules on breaking doors down on the server / may be used in combat as its just a flavorful way to break down doors for weak mages.)

Enspell Letter: A minor enchanting spell that imbues a parchment/letter to take the shape of a bird or perhaps a paper airplane or any sort of aviation shape at the will of the caster and fly off to its designated point of delivery. It takes the same amount of time to transform into this state as it does to call a bird and give it the letter to fly off with so it's not overly practical except for those who do not have birds. (Follows all current rules on sending birds on the server as this is just a flavourful way to send birds. A lot better than pulling a pigeon from your pocket etc.)

Enscribe Words: A minor transfiguration spell that allows the caster to change the way the ink is printed on a letter, allowing one to ‘reword’ a letter perhaps to send a reply back to their friend about their tea party! (Cannot be used to sabotage anything / get away with forgery of sort/anything villainous unless you actually practice transfiguration etc)

Red Lines:

Domesticated Magic cannot be used in combat in any way shape or form unless otherwise stated (such as pick lock and force lock spells.)

Domesticated Magic does not require an MA but it requires a connection to the void and to be taught through RP means, how long it takes to learn domesticated magic is entirely up to the mage.

Learning a Domesticated Magic does not entitle you to increased progression to the magic it stems from (i.e if you learn light flame you will still have the same progression rate in fire evocation as someone who has never learned domesticated magic.)

New Domesticated spells may be added after being run through the LT first. It can be submitted as an idea and must be approved by the LT Management before they edit the spell onto this main post to ensure everything is up to date.

Credit to Supremacyops and Urara - Makers of the first versions of household magic.

Credit to @Booklight12 for Mage Light.

I am fully in support of this. I'd love to see magic have more mundane uses!

Guest Guest

One of the only magics I'm ok with.

Making household magic combat related in any way invites the precedent that more spells can be added for combat later, which is stepping on a seriously slippery slope. Inventing spells that can't even be done outside of household magic is poor to the original intent of the lore. Other magics outside of household magic are unable to make papers into airplanes which home into someone from across the continent. That's absurd.

5 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Making household magic combat related in any way invites the precedent that more spells can be added for combat later, which is stepping on a seriously slippery slope. Inventing spells that can't even be done outside of household magic is poor to the original intent of the lore. Other magics outside of household magic are unable to make papers into airplanes which home into someone from across the continent. That's absurd.

The only "combat related" magic here is the quite literal flavourful emotes for a lockpicking system on doors since you can't even blow down doors with normal magic anyways. I think you're overreacting thinking this will turn into some low functional combative magic.

As for Inspell Letter, there's no difference between pulling a bird out of your pocket and sending it away. Quite literally just flavorful magic for sending letters.

Hide it behind the veil of flavor all you want, I have no faith people won't abuse this to make new combative loopholes later down the line.

Bird RP is already controversial and garbage enough as it is without us trying to add to the problem. Household magic shouldn't go beyond the bounds of actual voidal magics unless it is seriously its own thing. If you're going to invent new spells, don't claim it to just be that in the opening.

this is really cute and i really like it

Alright alright, this is good and all, but one thing; As far as I know, household magic is still current, accepted lore, right? So, is this just more spells for it, or a resubmission of it?

Edited by Gallic

1 minute ago, Gallic said:

Alright alright, this is good and all, but one thing; As far as I know, household magic is still current, accepted lore, right? So, is this just more spells for it, or a resubmission of it?

It is indeed a current thing - - This is more so just a better clarification of the old spells + New ones simply. 

You can pick these up after your first lessons? The way I've always taught it, you don't actually make a connection to the void until a week after training unless you're already practiced.

1 minute ago, LeoRabbit99 said:

You can pick these up after your first lessons? The way I've always taught it, you don't actually make a connection to the void until a week after training unless you're already practiced.

Essentially once you connect to the void and can hold a connection you can learn the magic at a pace of your own so yes. I don't see a point in making some long unwarranted process to learn generic mundane magic to clean your dishes with

I feel like the enscribe letter spell is a little ridiculous. I understand your just trying to add some athstetics and sense to pulling a bird out of your ass, but honestly that just shouldn't be allowed. You shouldn't be able to call players across the map just because you're in a tight situation, or whatever reason have you. Other than that, +1