The scrawlings of a gypsy {Gawa}

Lizmun

[There is nothing unusual about these entries]

Entries 137 - 138

-137-

I have arrived in Haense. For once, the sun was shining and it wasn't pouring rain. Though, the day was bitter cold. Winter's hit its worst. Regardless, I made my way back to the Wulf's den, which at the time was occupied by Karyssmov. Apparently I looked worse than usual, as he made a short comment on my appearance. Perhaps I should be more... conscious about how I look. I'll buy a new mirror later, maybe some jewelry, too. Kary and I were only talking for a small bit before something called a Dreadknight came by, joined by another odd man in armor.

[The entry in interrupted by a drawing of two men - one in dark armor and another in lighter armor stained by dark speckles.]

They were interesting to me, when I questioned Kary about what a Dreadknight was - apparently they are souls bound to armor by runic blood magic. I've never heard of this magic before, but it is quite interesting. Karyssmov did, however, start questioning me, much to my own surprised. He commented on my curiosity, then accused me of being interested in the dark and unusual. He wasn't wrong, though I tried to tell him otherwise. He didn't buy it, I am sure. Then, i had to pretend to cave. I told him I feared the darkness, but wasn't trying to learn about it. I told him I did pursue magic, yes, though failed to mention my pursuing of  necromancy and immortality. Instead, I told him I sought mind magic. He mentioned Arend Wick, who runs the library. He told me to see him, and tell him he sent me. He should be able to help me with my magic.

-Side notes I should also make,

Karyssmov was once a cleric, and is very knowledgeable on dark creatures and magic. If I find a necromancer, I should be careful with him. I'm sure he could pick up on my learning of necromancy once I start.

-138-

I have been waiting in this library for a while now, but have yet to see this Arend man. Another did approach me, whith blonde hair and scars on his face. He looked tough, and apparently is an aspiring knight. His name was Manfred. We chatted for a small while, he mentioned he was looking for poetry and I mentioned I was waiting for Arend. He asked why and I only said that Karyssmov sent me. We small-talked for a short while longer, then he left. Overall, a rather pleasant chat.

[This particular entry takes up a whole page, despite it being a few words. The letters are large and scratched in. There have been indents left in other pages behind this one, as well. A few angry scribbles surround the words.]

-139-

IT IS ALL HOPELESS.

Edited by Lizmun

[Most of this entry is just a drawing of charcoal scribbles and smudges. A few words do accompany them at the bottom. The writing is calm and small- oddly so for what is said. The page has been stained.]

-140-
aeeb2b670108a21461e23b2628b2deeb_the-night-walked-down-the-sky-drawing-by-j-ferwerda-pencil-drawing-of-night-sky_900-712.jpeg.bd3ccb265e7e4f48c5938a422402ef7c.jpeg

((Art is not mine.))

I sometimes look out to the night sky and realize how truly insignificant I am. The sky stretched out into an infinite blackness before me, and it makes me feel cold dread. I am but a moth, lost without a flame. I am but a speck of dust floating aimlessly on a wanton breeze. I am nothing. Nothing. I am not deserving of my life.

[There is nothing unusual about these entries.]

Entries 141 - 142

-141-

My anxiety and sourceless dread has ebbed after a few grueling and terrible days. My mind went to dark places, but it is starting to come back from those black recesses. Still, some of my fear has stayed, as is per usual, but my consciousness is no longer paralyzed at the very least. I can write sensibly once more. I've yet to meed up with the Arend man - why are people so hard to find when I'm the one looking for them?

-142-

I had a nice wine in the tavern today, I brought back half the bottle. Though, when I entered, i saw a new man in there. I didn't catch his name, as he was very jumpy, and rather paranoid. I think he distrusted me because I am a farfolk, accused me of picking the lock and lying about working in the craftsguild. It was Wulffrey who had to convince him I did indeed belong. That really didn't make me feel much better about myself, quite honestly. I mustn't forget I am a foreigner here, I'll never belong. I'll just go back to weaving. I had intended to give the bottle to my friends at the forge, but maybe I'll keep it for myself.

Entries 143 - 145

-143-

I had an excellent chat with Wulffrey today. I was in the crafts guild weaving, trying to calm myself of my baseless fears. The conversation started with Wulffrey asking what my purpose for working here was. An odd question, but I answered truthfully. I need money, a stable income, to keep living. He chocked it up to me wanting a calm life, which I agreed too. We discussed our trade - he learned to be a blacksmith from his brother and continued the trade after he died. I also learned he is married to a woman named Marion, though I suspect she has perished. He did mention that he left for thirteen years and when he returned his family was gone. I told him, in turn, that I had lived in a caravan all my life and my adoptive mother, Jalla, had taught me most of what I knew. Our talk ended abruptly, he was called elsewhere and didn't return.

-144-

I have been granted a room in the smithy by the graces of Wulffrey. No more sleeping in a stiff tavern bed - at least the one I was given is a tad softer. Though, the room has a broken window, and no door. I am afforded both very little privacy and cold breezes come night time. I'll have to make a drape for the door and window, as well as a thicker quilt.

-145-

Karyssmov gave me some flowers today. A kind gesture, I'll definitely plant them. He always pats me (That sounds much odder than I thought it would have on paper.) and says kind things to me, it makes me feel better about myself, if I am honest. I'll find a way to repay him. Somehow. I've also finished a tapestry piece, I'm going to try and sell it, obviously, but for now I tire. I must rest.

Edited by Lizmun

[The few pages of these entries have been stained by blood.]

Entries 146 - 147

-146-

I am injured! A sword struck me in my leg, ripping it open near my waist. If this is my last entry, know I bled out and died a coward. I want this journal burned if found with my corpse.

-147-

Thankfully, Karyssmov found me as I was trying to tend to my wound (I was largely unsuccessful.), he offered treatment to which I obliged. I explained to him that a soldier's stray sword caught me when Haense was being attacked, and admitted that my curiosity got the best of me. The creatures that came, they were not of this plane. Magical entirely, controlled by some master whom I only caught a glimpse of. I hear he fled south. I will follow. Kary fixed my leg for me and stitched it up - the process was painful, immensely so, but at the very least it's over now. I've taken to resting, unable to walk without pain. 

As a side note, my pants are likely ruined by blood. I'll try washing them, but I may have to get a new pair tailored soon.

Entries 148 - 150

-148-

I am able to walk without assistance once more. Karyssmov did good work - the only problem I am having is a limp and some itchiness in the wound. It should be fine for me to walk on, albeit with some pain. Kary has done such an excellent job of caring for me these past few months, it's almost concerning. He's showered me in affection, gifts, compliments, and care overall. The thing I am most concerned about is his wife. She hasn't turned any hate onto me yet, but I've seen her glare at other women. She scares me. She really scares me. I'd rather not have her swing that sword she carries at me. If not for her, I'd readily return any affection Kary gave me, in truth. He has been a good friend.

-149-

I got out and about today, despite the pain in my leg. I saw a pregnant woman in the square - I decided to leave her be, as she looked... troubled, and people were already gathered around her. Instead I visited Manfred, an old acquaintance, who was sitting alone. I sat with him, and we had a pleasant talk. I asked him about Jib, if he knew him, and he pointed me in the direction of his house. I also asked about Arend Wick, and he sent me to his wife, Therese. I know Therese, we've met before, and I am not particularly fond of her. She is poor at keeping secrets. I'll find her, when I have time. I knocked on Jib's door and there was no answer, and I am not keen on waiting around to find another man. Therese is the best path to Arend I have at the moment.

-150-

[The following 'entry', if it could truly be called that, was completely wordless. It composed only of useless chicken scratch and tally marks. All simple, but repetitive, motions. This odd ritual continued, from front to back, for five pages, leaving them black with charcoal marks. Byproduct of obsessive impulse. The next entry came directly after, as if nothing happened.]

[There is nothing unusual about this entry.]

-151-

The Wicks have nothing for me. I spoke privately with Arend's wife, Therese. I confronted her, and forgave her, for her initial betrayal, then moved on to discuss matters with her. We both came to an agreement pretty quickly that what we both said would not be spoken outside the room we were in - and for that reason this entry will be vague in the case should any vagabond steal my diary, or should anyone in the forge get curious and read it whilst I am sleeping. If you are not me and are reading this diary, put it down. Regardless, we did not speak for long and I quickly found that the Wicks do not have what I search for. Though, perhaps, Therese may be lying. After all, I am farfolk, and she is noble. Perhaps she has some right to distrust me. I will keep the Wicks in mind, though for now, I will leave them be. Therese did, however, not wish to leave me empty handed and directed me to a certain Demetria Crow. Even if she would not tell me where her husband resides, she has given me a new lead. To Holm I go.

Entries 152 - 153

-152-

I have arrived in Sutica as a detour stop. I planned to visit an old friend, Lae, so she could give me advice on caring for the plants Karyssmov had given me. The city is as grand as ever, but something about it feels incredibly... off. I still can't put a finger on it. Regardless I found the inn fine and have retired to a room. I'll find Lae tomorrow.

-153-

[The writing is uneven and shaky, the writer was not calm at all when this was written.]

It is near morning, and I must leave this city immediately. I know what is wrong, they all know of my heresy. And they're all looking at me. Following me. Plotting, planning, I hear their whispers. They thought they could fool me into comfort, but no! I knew all along! They know, I am sure of it. It must have been that Therese woman! Damn her and the whole Wick family, we made a promise, a pact! I'll kill her next I see her! If I survive with my life, that is! They're coming!

[The writing of this entry is shaky and uneven.]

-154-

My escape from Sutica was unsuccessful. In truth, it was all a blur. I remember some orcs meeting me on the road, panicked, they took me back into the city, I assume. I lost consciousness from fright alone. When I re-awoke, I was in the city once more. I remember distinctly fearing for my life and running - though I was stopped by two assailants. I was in such a frenzy to escape out of the sheer terror that they were going to kill me for what I'd said to Therese that I don't even remember what they looked like, only that they were grappling me and had tackled me to the ground. They didn't want me to leave. Then, another woman came near, Cyrene. Her presence was soothing - like a fire to banish the darkness that had taken hold of me. She was magnificent, and I later learned, a mental mage. She was very kind and understanding of my discomfort and terror, she even drove herself to exhaustion to keep me comfortable. We spoke after I had calmed myself, she made me realize that my paranoia was unfounded, that nobody in Sutica was out to get me. I am very thankful for this act of kindness, and I am upset that I do not have something nice enough to adequately repay her. I will put more thought into what I should create later, as for now my mind is battered. I need rest. I am leaving Sutica, and sleeping in the next town over.

Cyrene said she could not teach me mind magic. I must continue to Holm.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:37 AM, Lizmun said:

[There is nothing unusual about these entries.]

Entries 92 - 98

-92-

I have been in Haense for two days now. The town is dull and uninteresting, and its people even worse. Colder and much more bitter than the winds. Though, I did meet three new fellows in the tavern I have taken to staying at. (The beds are firm at this tavern, they hurt my back.). Two highlanders and a halfling. The halfling's name is 'Hiro D'elril', the Male Highlander's name is Karyssmov, and the Woman has a name much long to remember (I suppose she was trying to impress me with the length of her name?). She told me to call her Sylvia.  I mentioned Fenn, they mentioned the undead. Apparently Fenn is known for the practitioners of dark magic in the area, as well as a few resident necromancers. I will head there next, perhaps I can further my quest there, perhaps even find a suitable mentor?

-93-

I met an interesting woman in the tavern, as well. She was highlander, yes, but she also looked to be a scholar. She had a lot of papers and books with her. We had a short conversation, and I learned that she takes interest in the Ash March ( or March Ash ) and saw the same banners I have. After talking some more, I also learned she studies history and faith primarily. She is a nice woman, though admits reluctance to leave Haense.

-94-

I have learned that casting magic in Haense can be punished by death on the stake. Perhaps I should not stay here much longer. The city is too bitter for my taste, and it seems very anti magical.

-95-

I have heard whispers of a mental mage in the city. Supposedly a dark-elf bard. I approached him today as he was in what he called a 'Musical duel' with another musician of some sort. I have agreed to wait and  judge the duel when it is finished. The music is lovely. I half consider declaring him the winner to gain favor. Maybe he can tell me who taught him if he truly is a mage.

-96-

The other musician was superior, I will admit, but I could not bring myself to admit a favorite. I declared the duel as a draw. I was not able to speak with the dark-elf musician, unfortunately, but I did meet Valdun once more. He brought two other farfolk with him; A man named Melesse Alem Zewedu. A tall, lean man who seemed very... Formal. And a woman by the name of Cadyna Zewedu. I did not get as good of a read on her. Valdun wanted me to come with him and his people to the square, so I followed. Truth be told, however, I was quite ready to get out of Haense. By that point I had already seen enough of the city.

-97-

The visit to the square was a failure. There were closed doors, and we could not get inside. Valdun lead us back to the gate, where a local took to insulting us. Called us 'black ones'. I've suffered much worse, so I do not much mind name calling anymore. Instead of getting angry, I offered my wares to her, Much to my surprise, she agreed to take a look at them. She wasn't at all interested, but she was generous. She gifted me 100 mina, and her name. Hillith. We had a short discussion before we departed. She mentioned Xan, who apparently is the Aengul of guardianship. Valdun didn't seem to pleased with Hillith, I'll admit, nor my association with her.

-98-

I am leaving Haense. Finally. Though, in the company of Valdun. I am not sure where he is wanting to go, but I'll likely break off if he does not travel to Fenn.

That's me(hiro d'eril) 

[ A series of pages and entries are completely torn from the book. These are the next entries of the unaffected pages.]

Entries 205 - 207

-205-

I now depart from my short detour over the past year. Now that my sanity has returned to me once again, I seek the open road. It has been over a year since my leaving of Haense, and I have found nothing. It is time to wander once more.

-206-

I met a nice boy on the road - it was a cold and frigid day, and I was passing a still running stream. On the bridge a small boy sat, fishing. He was kind for me when I stopped, and even offered me food and drink. Apparently, his father worked for a brewery - but when he took me into the town and his supposed home, no father was to be found. Regardless, we traded - he gave me dried vegetables and dried fish in exchange for an old toy sword I had with me. This food will be good for the tinter travels.

-207-

I have arrived in Holm. While I found nothing here before, perhaps something will be here for me a year later.

[ There is nothing unusual about the entry ]

-208-

I tire of my own failures. Three years of my life, wasted, and for what? Nothing. There has to be an easier way.

Edited by Lizmun

[The entries are written sloppily in ink]

Entries 209 - 211

-209-

I have bought ink, new parchment, and a quill. I mu [A glob of ink blots out the next few letters] -mit it's a tad... difficlut to write with, nothing like my pencils. I am going to write and post my writings in a few cities - perhaps I'll gain some attention this way.

-210-

[The writer seemed to be practicing more writing in ink to get the feel of using a quill. Most of it was just her name, Gawa Va'shoaz.]

-211-

[This entry seems to be a rough draft of this poster.]

[The book shows signs of abuse once more. Pages have been ripped out, some are black with senseless, angry scribbles, even the cover has taken some new beating. There are no new entries - it quickly becomes clear the journal was neglected for some lengthy amount of time, as if the Author couldn't bring herself to write.]