Understanding Roleplay: Powergaming & its Importance

Treshure

Its a fantastic post, outlining the consequences that powergaming has not only on the community, but also to the underlying story-line which continues propelling the server.

I did, however, want to comment on an aspect which I feel this post doesn't highlight as much as it ought to, and that is that we are all the protagonists of our own story, and so can be carried away by situations that occur in-game - hence causing us to powergame. To my experience, this is the most common cause of powergaming. 

Whether in LOTC, or out of character, we all want to strive for the betterment of ourselves, it is only natural for a rational being to do so. In our day-to-day lives, we face obstacles in our leap for success that may very well stop our endeavour in its tracks, perhaps temporarily, or perhaps entirely, forcing us to reconsider our very definition of success and what we strive for. In this world where, as Treshure points out, we can create ourselves and try to fulfil our fantasies, many get carried away with the strength of the character they create. Rather than be stumped by day-to-day barriers, players can make themselves super-human to overcome said barriers directly - to avoid the process of reconsideration of success and our goals which we so often undertake in our lives. And this kind of powergaming is often times subconscious or accidental. After all, who isn't guilty of using unorthodox means to stay alive in situations of trouble? Desperate situations call for desperate attempts at resolution - its only human.

The solution that I see to powergaming is self-consciousness. If one realises that something is out of their grasp, and that no matter how terrible a situation they may only act within the realm of their abilities and reality, then can they truly put powergaming to rest. As with everything, though, its a process which everyone must undertake as an individual for it can only be corrected and called-out by GM's for so long. This is because blatant powergaming is the only kind that can truly be stopped by moderators, because its so obvious that it can hardly be hidden, however, its the small day-to-day leaping of obstacles kind of powergaming that is more common. After all, doing something once will make one more liable of doing it again, even unconsciously. Like a snowball, this casual powergaming can lead to more severe cases. Ultimately, powergaming will always be present in any roleplaying community, my suggestion is to just stay wary and do your best to ensure that the person powergaming isn't you, and it often takes effort for it is hidden in our daily affairs.

Another point I took away from Treshure's post is that one has to be happy they are flawed. Being flawed is what makes us all human, and what makes seemingly impossible achievements so admirable - that one out of the bunch was able to go out there and do something great, or something terribly evil with the tools that are available to us all. Enjoy your rping everyone, and as Treshure so well put in his conclusion, try to have fun and push the community's storyline. =)

Edited by Arena

On 8/8/2018 at 3:39 AM, Arena said:

I-snip-

As to your point about striving for the betterment of ourselves, I made a point alluding to that in 'Fictions of Triumph and Tragedy'. The hindrance to progress we'd normally face in real life is virtually removed in a roleplay scenario, as there is nothing checking us to instantly becoming the greatest versions of yourself.

Thanks for the feedback, man.