[Story] “Did you fall asleep. Or did you wake up?”

HedgeHug

Take thirty seconds to prepare for reading with this music on the background for immersion - leave it on as you read on through

Never before had sleep been such a welcome guest to the restless mind. The sun setting as it marks another long day to be passed away. A head pushed into soft cushions as the body grows heavier, pulled asunder by the presence of rest in flesh and bone.

And where two eyes shut in one world. They open in another …

No oddity, I’m certain, for all that sleep once find themselves in a state of dreaming …

~ : But this time it just feels ..  different : ~

Where once was warmth and happiness, a playground for the mind at rest - there is but a chilly darkness. Uncertainty and doubt force the restless mind to shock. For where had all the warmth go? Where is all the rest? Why is the mind now emptiness, in woe and in distress?

And then, drawn forth from dark and cold - the mists surrounding at all sides - an entity approaches devoid of form or emotions. Speaking to it helps not one’s case, for the very words uttered fade into the Aether of Nothingness around. So shivering and waiting now the moving mists of misery halt not too far off.

Speaking then, the entity, in a tone that befits its form: “Did you fall asleep. Or did you wake up?” Nothing other uttered then. The words sink in as if a spell, the body numbed from head to toe. For what on earth did it mean by this? Was it a message or a mem’ry from the not too distant past? Perhaps .. a vision warning thee of how long one’s life will last?

More silence follows. Confused .. a shiver .. the mind in disarray. For what was meant by the words spoken. What causes this dismay. Repeating now, the question, in the voice of the entity. One can but guess the purpose of them, their deeper filosophy. For did I wake or did I sleep? What is real and what is fake? Who am I and what is Me? Trying to find Reality.

Difficult to say what is, and truly what is not. For right here standing in the void, the Aether of Nothingness - feels just as Real as was before: at home, in bed .. at rest. What is true and what is false? How to distinguish in between. Which is made up which is untrue: a simulated truth? A duplicated, mirrored, image held in front of my own eyes. Help me to see through these and distinguish between lies.

If this is true, the Aether Realm, the other is the Dream. Would I want to return or do I want Reality? The question bugs the soul and mind still found in disarray. “Who’s in control and who are you to ask?” Is screamed at the void so darkly cast - the entity unmoving now takes on a human form. A shadowed figure, shrouded, as it’s comprised of mist. Now walks on over, looking as if it really could exist.

“Behold” the silence broken by the word of the entity. It’s arms unfold and spread wide-out, long digits clamping onto .. what appears right fromout nothingness: a mirror had appeared…

knulSQMYiwUWWm1Sy-ykBWqaQzQk5NyVi3rkV8id8AgeC_xZhIAc-F2BD3m27AqN1LyT428Vae_7diS5UMD7lWZjyZUSicjWgxgIPCGZPFLbrQ1YGuW8RCWYxJO-wOJilg2DSxBL

The metal face was shrouded in a mist as was around it. But after time the entity allows the mist to fade. Now looking in the mirror one’s self image is depicted - one’s visage looking sadly as but filled with insecurity. For if unknown of what is real, how is one sure about one’s self. The mirrored duplication looks the same but isn’t ‘real’. For ‘tis but a reflection cast on metal in the light. The image then soon changes, one would wonder what they’d sight.

Before them on the metal face is visible one’s self again - now laying in the bed where one had thought they fell asleep. Unsure about what is going on .. is that the dream or is this real. One really doesn’t know for sure what truth for one’s self to keep.

~ : Life’s deep and vague philosophy - for what is real and what can be .. and what is but a fantasy? : ~

One’s thinking voice repeats ...

For if one knows what is the Truth and sees they’ve lived a Lie.

Can one then truly live on further, and let the known Truth fly?

Spoiler

This story isn't LotC related and is a fabrication of my own for a writing contest on another platform / for another community. Though I still would like to share this with you all. Please do +1 if you enjoyed so I know to make more of this ?

A very enjoyable read! You should post more ~

I like the story, and its really well written. i can't  wait to read more stories from you! keep up the good work!