[✗] Star Forging [Artificing]

Aelesh

1 minute ago, Medvekoma said:

Silver has a more direct association with moon & stars due to its colours.

Just now, Karimir said:

I think silvery aesthetically makes sense @Medvekoma @Sorcerous

Yeah I'd agree with you there @Medvekoma, seems like the best route to take. Thanks @Karimir.

24 minutes ago, Sorcerous said:

Gold is known to be a particularly good metal when it comes to storing mana, and necromancers have used it to store life force for a very long time. Slayer steel may not inherit these properties simply because there isn't enough gold in it for it to inherit the more complex magical properties of gold. If Heartsteel is more parts gold than iron when compared with slayer steel, then it would also hold that it inherits more of the capacity to store supernatural energies. However, if you'd prefer, I'm happy to change the lore and make Heartsteel an alloy of gold and silver to prevent any possible confusion with slayer steel. This alloy would be different from electrum, in that electrum has trace amounts of copper amongst other things, which Heartsteel would not. Probably change the name too. I would point out that when it comes to alloys, the composition of the metal in terms of ratios really does make a very large difference in the resulting alloy.

Hi, Slayersteel writer here. You're incorrect in that Slayersteel is actually more Gold than Iron. It's meant to be GOLD strengthened alloy not an IRON LADEN WITH GOLD alloy. As everyone seems to assume which I hate. Regardless, I don't particularly like the lore as I see no real point for it. Nice piece, just not on LotC. 

6 minutes ago, Lark said:

Hi, Slayersteel writer here. You're incorrect in that Slayersteel is actually more Gold than Iron. It's meant to be GOLD strengthened alloy not an IRON LADEN WITH GOLD alloy. As everyone seems to assume which I hate. Regardless, I don't particularly like the lore as I see no real point for it. Nice piece, just not on LotC. 

I think it's just the association with it being more durable than gold, so it is assumed that it is more iron than gold. Otherwise you'd expect it to still be fairly soft. What part do you not like in particular, if anything? Is there anything I could do to improve it in your eyes? The idea is for it to be minor and fairly inoffensive, and just to provide some extra flavour for pure smiths who aren't inclined to do magic alongside their smith work. It hearkens back to Tolkiens 'lore' concept, in that elves simply saw magic as a higher understanding of the world. In the same way, this is simply very advanced smithing that creates minor supernatural effects through physical work alone. The point is really to offer an approach to smithing that is mystical, spiritual and supernatural without asking a character to delve into what might be considered eldritch or arcane. Great smiths can aspire to great things through progressing their smithing alone and becoming true masters, without having to rely upon the Void or other more arcane sources of power. And as such, this power is much less than a true magician might be able to offer, but the theme it provides is unique when compared with the again, very pseudo-scientific magic that we currently have.

Edited by Sorcerous

I actually really enjoyed reading this lore. I had an idea like this a long time ago with a friend of mine, and we wanted to make a special MArt forge which harnessed the power of starlight to create special metals, but that fell through. I wish you luck with this! As much as other magics can replicate these effects, usually even stronger than this, I don't think that really matters. It's an interesting little flavorful lore for harmless boons!

I find this to be quite interesting, i look forward to it should it get approved.

Thank you for submitting your piece, it will be put under review in the second wave (the loremag after the current one).

Thread is being locked to prevent edits to the lore while voting occurs (if you need to make edits, contact me). Also, if you have feedback regarding the lore that you wish to pass to the LT, feel free to toss me a PM.

Edit: Due to the fact that Thanksgiving break was occurring for many, which resulted in hiatuses, the verdict for this lore should be expected to be given on the 5th or 6th of December).

This Lore has been denied. The team was rather split down the middle regarding this lore, so it was unable to get a majority Y vote. The issues raised were that this lore lacks a more in-depth explanation behind things (e.g. the Ward of Darkness), the power source behind it, and that it bears too many similarities to what other magics can do (I’m aware it isn’t a copy pase of other magics abilities, but personally I would have liked to see some bigger differences).

Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.