[✗] Ascended Rewrite: The Tears of Aeriel

Lark

13 hours ago, ZachoSnacko said:

I ask, why not change? It brings something newer to the idea of Ascended and strays from the previous iteration along with not having a total focus on undead.

LOTC is a roleplay world, one where storyline is supposed to be key and essential to the plot. It makes absolutely no sense to change or create lore without a reason in-game even if it's driven by out-of-character mechanical changes within the effect of powers present. That said, while the ominous reason implied is intriguing there was no direct answer as to why the change in magic came from a lore perspective. I do believe that it was properly referenced within the context of the writing however, just without blatant meaning which is asinine. It is important to keep consistency in a vibrant world and to do that everything must have a reason in order to keep out arbitrary roleplay that is fundamentally flawed. 

12 hours ago, Hobbs_Burrows said:

I think this post strays so far from the entire point of 'lore' - which is to show the life of the server passed down from generation to generation of players. This is just made up nonsense written on a forum thread, it has no relevance to anything which happened in the past and very little of what actually occurs in game. 

But Ascended should have been removed at the end of Aegis and have been breaking and making up their lore ever since, so what more can I really expect.

Ascended lore from aegis remained intact into early Athera including minor changes from Asulon which did take precedent at the time. The changes were forced by loremasters in late Athera without consequential reason besides "please nerf". Not only did they not come up with a reason in writing for as to why the orders magic suddenly had a drastic change, they continually ignored the playerbase on multiple accounts. While wanting to change powers to keep the game balanced is noble, doing so at the expense of needless, drastic, change is ridiculous. That who forms the assertion should give the remedy in a fair manner, whereas the remedy thus far by our lore team (into vailor at least) was to remove it rather than fix it. The Ascended removal was unwarranted and completely fueled by OOC conflict. That said, I agree that the lore has no place without explanation for the changes. 

4 hours ago, EternalSaturn said:

I'm just going to make a general response to everyone commenting on how different the lore is:

For year and a half I have been an Ascended, we never see any end to all the insults we get about our magic, be it that it targets undead or just the plain 'Ascended Suck' with no other context besides someone just wanting to put us down. But now that we have changed the lore, which we were asked to change to be something new and different by the LT Lead, mind you, you're all now so concerned about our lore and saying that the changes aren't good?

I'm just going to be honest, how do we win with you people? Telling us to shelve or go away isn't going to happen, so any comment with that statement is of no concern to us whatsoever. But that fact that on one day you insult our lore and the next you try to uphold it makes me question whether you actually care about server lore or rather just get enjoyment out of sitting on a forum all day and messing with people or playerbases.

I brought the Ascended back and I have qualms about change in lore without an in-game reason, though this isn't to discount the extreme harassment present on the server towards the order which has no significant basis. Nor is this at all evident to the idea that I'm opposed to change, just change without necessary explanation. The premise of how the order is treated is based on player conflict with players who no longer exist in the order has fueled horrible roleplayers into taking an out-of-character bias which has been pushed into an in-character agenda against the order. 

That said I wholeheartedly think it would of been a good idea to put more context into the changes that are taking place and how they'll affect how the order functions for simplicity of sufficient world-view reasoning as to why these changes should take place at all. Whether there will be change at all isn't a give-in, though this doesn't discount the idea that it needs premise. The reasons presented within the text are too vastly ominous and vague to actually pull meaning from as an outside reader or to the lore masters you are presenting this to. 

@Jondead P.S. While it wasn't overtly referenced that Aeriel was the presiding deity of the moon, it has been indirectly implied multiple times. Not only in the rewrite post they listed, but in the writings and the idea that Dungrimm was meant to be the guardian who worked for Aeriel to secure the soul stream and holds his palace on the moon. Multiple other indeterminate places described the idea as well in past lore, however it wasn't something that had been prevalent. The old lore of the three primordials also had reference of the original mortals coming from the primordial of the moon which is of important consequence as Aeriel is the arch-aengul of souls. 

I am admittedly no fan of the Ascended, and have long seen little purpose for them. With that said, I think this rewrite is something to watch. Something to be proud of. The Ascended as I have seen them RPed and interacted with myself, have always had three things wrong with them. A lack of piety for a holy order, a pretty hit-and-miss track record on actually killing the Undead, and a tenet-enforced monolithic order. Here in the new tenets I see no mandate to exist in one guild, no mandate on killing anything, and legitimate holy sites that will presumably have religious RP to go with them. Wonderful, all of it.

Further down into spells, I'm pleasantly surprised. Moving away from fire is a bold move, and indeed, not one I expected. The Tearstone is an excellent idea, as implement RP is always great, though I do believe y'all missed a great chance for further individuality by just leaving it as a raw shard. Highlighting, moonlight radiance, and crystallization are all fantastic spells, as well. Moonlight Radiance in particular reminds me of Divine Warden's lightwell spell. The Astral Mirror is pretty blatantly OP, but then again, shields usually are. Seeing as how it's defensive, why not? Lastly, "So-cold-it-hurts" is a wonderful damage type and I'm glad to see it's returned after the final shelving of harbinger magic x amount of years ago. 

The Astral Sanctuary needs some enumeration on how it heals wounds. Three-times normal rate doesn't particularly mean very much in how to actually go about things, considering most wounds IRL that require medical intervention can vary between weeks to months. 

Disconnection is an unfortunate reality, and the insistence on "However many years they spent immune to the passing of time will immediately return to them after their soul has been shattered," is unfortunate. It leaves no room for redemption if one ages beyond a certain point, becoming an implied PK that will doubtless make disconnections far more dramatic than they have to be.

I hope y'all take advantage of this pretty wild swing towards something fresh to leave y'all's ugly past on the shelf and start anew, rather than just continuing as you are with the same protagonist leanings as before, ending up in the same situations for the same reasons. 

+1

Okay, so this is the third post I'll make. If this one gets removed I'm just going to flip. The lore is awkwardly written and way too short. The parts that are 'expanded' are useless fluff while other things are never explained or brought up later in the post mechanics wise.  I've given Lark a document which outlines all the problems I've seen with the lore. 

Though I will keep insisting, rebranding towards this direction will not change anything in regards to reputation or the actual purpose of Ascended. They should have stayed removed the first time, and the hamfisted attempt of staying relevant falls flat and really ruins any attempt of rewrite.

The name of the Ascended and the stigma surround it will never go. I don't play much anymore but I look at the forums enough to know that this would be a bad addition for the server. If you guys aren't holy, then there's really no place for you on the server.

Very interesting, a huge departure from the previous lore in a way that I think was necessary to differentiate it. I can definitely see some expansions to this lore being added in the future, but for what's here I still give a +1.

5 hours ago, James said:

@Jondead P.S. While it wasn't overtly referenced that Aeriel was the presiding deity of the moon, it has been indirectly implied multiple times. Not only in the rewrite post they listed, but in the writings and the idea that Dungrimm was meant to be the guardian who worked for Aeriel to secure the soul stream and holds his palace on the moon. Multiple other indeterminate places described the idea as well in past lore, however it wasn't something that had been prevalent. The old lore of the three primordials also had reference of the original mortals coming from the primordial of the moon which is of important consequence as Aeriel is the arch-aengul of souls. 

Ah alright I see, thank you for the information! 

Mother of god...

I think this rewrite is actually pretty great and definitely is bringing the magic away from the idea of Holy vs. Dark. I think those conflicting ideals make for good story, however the players on the server both light and dark definitely make conflict cancerous. Either way, good rewrite. I do have to second Grim's opinion however. There is far too much OOC involved with the Ascended to just "win" when a rewrite is put forward. You guys should take this amazing rewrite forward and not only reinvent your IC image, but also your OOC image so people who cross one of you once don't wind up axed from any sort of roleplay just for existing on the opposite side of the fence.

Speaking from experience.

re-reading the Lore and getting a little QnA though I think I will change my -1 to a +1, just be careful yeah? This us a big leap into the unknown, but it is greatly writen, and set up, just until the RP needed for the change happens it is a bad idea, without that there is not a real reasn for the change to turn out like this, but how it happens in the Lore in an interesting thing, mad props for that! It is something special! ? 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, GrimReaper98 said:

Okay, so this is the third post I'll make. If this one gets removed I'm just going to flip. The lore is awkwardly written and way too short. The parts that are 'expanded' are useless fluff while other things are never explained or brought up later in the post mechanics wise.  I've given Lark a document which outlines all the problems I've seen with the lore. 

Though I will keep insisting, rebranding towards this direction will not change anything in regards to reputation or the actual purpose of Ascended. They should have stayed removed the first time, and the hamfisted attempt of staying relevant falls flat and really ruins any attempt of rewrite.

The name of the Ascended and the stigma surround it will never go. I don't play much anymore but I look at the forums enough to know that this would be a bad addition for the server. If you guys aren't holy, then there's really no place for you on the server.

I'm against removal of freedom of speech in any manner, and I wish the FMs didn't take your opinion away, Grim. I agree with you for the most part on the writing, and that the stereotype for the generalized holy magic roleplay that has plagued lotc which needs to be addressed. I disagree completely on the stigma that surrounds the guild, which was fueled by individual conflict and doesn't currently represent the guild adequately nor appropriately. The reputation will only stay besmirched due to stubborn people who refuse to accept change and keep residual hate based on something that had nothing to do with the present. 

A very bold change that I'm impressed to see, to say the least. Seems like pretty grand lore overall. Might need a couple more bones added to it in the future, but otherwise I'll give it a +1

It's occurred to me that this seems to conflict with the Kha goddess Metzli being the Moon deity. Are they meant to share the domain? Apologies if this has already been asked, didn't see it addressed when I looked.

Edit: Sounds like the LT made it a thing, fair enough!

3 hours ago, Kalehart said:

It's occurred to me that this seems to conflict with the Kha goddess Metzli being the Moon deity. Are they meant to share the domain? Apologies if this has already been asked, didn't see it addressed when I looked.

Metzli if I remember gave up the moon, and began focusing on Time and trying to create the perfect creature, though I might be wrong there, all I know is... The Moon is a clusterf*** of Aenguls and Daemons, as a few reside there! ?

9 hours ago, Kalehart said:

A year or so back a new batch of LT posted some clarification lore for the origin of the world, creation of the universe, that sort of thing. The Soulstream was defined as the moon during that post (which was a huge surprise to all the Ascended). I cannot speak for what Metzli is up to, but Aeriel is 100% definitely on the moon and she rules over it as her adopted realm.

So if we...

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Yew_Coniferous said:

A year or so back a new batch of LT posted some clarification lore for the origin of the world, creation of the universe, that sort of thing. The Soulstream was defined as the moon during that post (which was a huge surprise to all the Ascended). I cannot speak for what Metzli is up to, but Aeriel is 100% definitely on the moon and she rules over it as her adopted realm.

If we just...build a rocket ship...we can meet Ariel?

14 hours ago, Demotheus said:

So if we...

If we just...build a rocket ship...we can meet Ariel?

Hell yes ?