[✗] [Lore][RP] Airship

welshnutter

This is a RP and Lore post in one for a airship to be granted access to be built on the server, i am proposing this as there is a current stale feeling for current tech that needs to be shook up and since we have a new map coming this it will open up opportunity for more RP as well as maybe make wars and trade more fun.

The RP:

44161759_303114820508114_2117036281241272320_n.jpg.a05320dafa70a8ea74351bb7292a3f60.jpg

Bwelch Azaghul was studying the designs for the steam engine in his study one cold lonely night in his house just outside the hold, after discussing with Throri 'Warmheart' Stonemace a way to implicate it in to the wooden ships he makes, Bwelch thought to himself that he may be able to not just create a way to stop fires due to heat on wood but even compact it down so even smaller ships can have the advantages.

He started work on a small model for use to work out his equations (image below) He not only came up with a compact engine but also a "water reclamation unit" to try and reclaim the water turned in to steam. As a side not he thought maybe he can make a new forge that will benefit a steam engine but that is a project for a later date

SteamGenerator2.jpg.9e0810982c137c253da506b184a8d63d.jpg

But during all of this he noticed how a leather cap left on the pipe above the furnace unit would rise and fall, so he told Throri 'Warmheart' Stonemace of a possible new ship that he will need help with but first he needed to work out the way to lift it. And it came to him one day as he was eating a pig that he just hunted, he thought to himself that the badder was tough and would need little to make fit the pipe on the furnace, so after fashioning a small ring to go around the neck and making sure that no holes except the one he wanted was there he place the bladder on the furnace.

With a big bang the bladder blew up causing him to fall off his stool and landing on the furnace burning his lower arm and his upper face scaring him and limiting his use of his one arm, but that didn't turn him away he looked for help and once healed enough to go back to work he vanished once again in to his study. Trying to work out why the bladder failed he decided to make a way to release the pressure and heat via a small flap on the side of the bladder, that seemed to do the trick but knowing that he could never get a bladder big enough he went out and spent alot on leather scraps and wax.

When he got back he made a larger balloon out of the leather after he treated it with wax and started testing just how much he could lift with this new balloon. He tried to lift some animals but the dung was a problem if not to say messy, then he attached a chest to it and up it went but slowly, taking down note he had a row boat dragged to his study to test tho it did become lighter it didn't lift. He went back to his drawing board and tried to work out the maths and all and noticed that to lift a row boat the balloon would have to be the size of the boat at least and tied down with leather straps turned in to rope for security.

Having made the bigger balloon and leather rope he tested it and it raised up and a good rate but with all discovery come failure the balloon hit the roof and tore wide sending the boat and furnace down hard on the floor spilling hot coals everywhere, tho he did have a water bucket on hand the hot coals did catch his wardrobe on fire and the sudden thump to the floor had made loads of cracks in his floor, He now had to work on a way to protect the fragile balloon from any unnecessary damage, noting that iron would be to heavy as well as stonecladding and wood would have worked but cost alot to cover a full balloon so he thought that another leather skin around it may help but that would cost way to much then a idea hit him wool, wool was cheap at the hold and easy to work with. He began sewing the leather together with a wool outer skin and began testing, this time the roof and other objects didn’t make the balloon brake but swords and arrows and anything pointy shot at it would tear it easily, now his balloon was as good as he could get it he contacted Throri 'Warmheart' Stonemace for his help in designing a sloop sized vessel to test out the balloon.

Throri 'Warmheart' Stonemace came back with several designs with the dimensions and weight of each, bwelch chose a small light singeing and went to work figuring out the size and shape of the balloon to be able to lift it.  Now he had the design he went to the hold to beg for the materials and money to make the first prototype.

The OOC:
The airship will be slow and hard to control as weather is a bigger obstacle.This means to rp using a airship you will need to have at least a crew of 5 (1 pilot 2 stokers 1 water boy and 1 navigator) upon taking off will all need to do a roll of 10+ of a 20 roll to make sure nothing goes wrong with lift off. Then they will need to rp a event that a member of the event team chooses (high wind/lost/fire/man over board/ect) if passed they will then have to rp the landing of the ship again rolling to make sure no damage during this process.

The knowledge on how to make this will also be locked behind a air master guild at the hold where to be able to own a ship of your own you will need to join and climb the ranks
Novice (water boy or stoker on ship , 5 events to leave up)
Adept( learning navigation of the sky, 3 events needed to level up)
Apprentice (learn to pilot the vessel, 5 events needed to level up)
Expert (captain a ship under the control of the guild, 3 event to level up)
Master (given the license to own a ship of their own, 10 event to level up)
Elite (learns how to build the ships)
Grand masters (this rank is only obtainable by elites that prove themselves to be worth of the role to the guild)

Having it this way means it isn't going to be easy to have a airship and it will be a long time before there would be any significant change to the current meta of using sea going vessels the Prototype will belong to the Azaghul Clan and its chosen allies. 

Okay so to do some damage control before the comments get agree.

1) this is a reuse of current steam tech introduced by the halfling wheat engine and the dwathen engine which was made by my RP ancestor in part (troopermatthew and i was part of his family and worked on the steam ship.

2) it will not brake RP as it will be locked behind RP progression up the guild ranking and behind events (people complained saying the steam boat would kill the rp and server and it haven't.

3)for those who think well we may as well bring trains and full on blimps in then. No the design i’m proposing will have event determine the success of the take off flight and landing which means that the crew could all have a permadeth scenario happen to them.

4)the reason i’m suggestion this is because there is no major advancements for a long time and now a new map is on the way we need something to shake up RP

okay now everyone can go to town on me in the comments 

10 minutes ago, Licorish said:

I want to say no, but you went so in depth...However I think that air balloons should be a better alternative.

We had hot air balloons at one point, but gm’s told me that it wasn’t possible because the gasses inside would explode because of the flame used to heat them up.... When I let the gm know that the ‘gases’ inside was regular air he said that because there was no way to physically represent the balloon moving it couldn’t be used, he then used a teleport on a boat that I had built that was incapable of physically moving.... funny thing is, I can create a device with redstone that can fly and physically move in the air.

2 minutes ago, Master Baiter said:

We had hot air balloons at one point, but gm’s told me that it wasn’t possible because the gasses inside would explode because of the flame used to heat them up.... When I let the gm know that the ‘gases’ inside was regular air he said that because there was no way to physically represent the balloon moving it couldn’t be used, he then used a teleport on a boat that I had built that was incapable of physically moving.... funny thing is, I can create a device with redstone that can fly and physically move in the air.

Never forget the 8 different FT vehicles we went through on seahelm..

please no, we don't want steam engines or airships or steam boats

Hm

I remember when someone tried to make a submarine, but it had an ARCANE on it

41 minutes ago, Chimp said:

if they accept this but not cannons imma flip my ****

a cannon is much more destructive than a airship that can crash at any min plus i thought rune cannons were a thing

25 minutes ago, Master Baiter said:

i always thought that funny that on the old maps they had fast travel points like the boats and carts 

23 minutes ago, Juststan147 said:

please no, we don't want steam engines or airships or steam boats

we already have steam engines and steam boats that’s what the dwarf paddle boats are 

6 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

I remember when someone tried to make a submarine, but it had an ARCANE on it

i think i remember reading that back in the day lol

Any other questions or comments?

1 minute ago, welshnutter said:

i thought rune cannons were a thing

they got removed due to us not having real cannons. it was more of a slap to the face to any rp’er that didn’t do any magic. Speaking of, that magic gauss cannon needs to addressed.

17 minutes ago, The_Broken_God said:

they got removed due to us not having real cannons. it was more of a slap to the face to any rp’er that didn’t do any magic. Speaking of, that magic gauss cannon needs to addressed.

I didnt see the post about thire removal and a gauss cannon now that be intrestion specaly if you could load a dwarf wearing iron armor in it lol jk

I don’t really like the concept of a flying siege fortress. Building your walls higher won’t matter anymore.

I like my tech where it is, thanks. You probably put a fair amount of work into this, and I respect that. Tbh, my biggest issue is this being some super ass common thing. Sure right now it'll be limited to the guild, but in the future it definitely could turn out to be a common thing. I don't want lotc to turn final fantasy themed. Again I can deal with it if there's a way to make it very hard to access how to do this

Edited by LeoGhoul99