[✗] [Deity] Lagara, Goddess of Lein Hahnu

MajesticOwyn

17 hours ago, MajesticOwyn said:

The lore written below is to implement a new neutral Aengudaemon

Isn’t it always the Neutral card?

5 hours ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

I’m a bit torn, in the sense that I already have encouraged people to use lore to flesh out their culture, adding little bits of flavour to add depth to your culture’s RP.

However, a lot of this lore falls into the same niche as already existing deities and I’m concerned we will end up with two groups of Nature-based deities. The Aspects are generally this server’s go-to nature gods, and they have the Mani- a pantheon on spirit-Animal-Prince-things, hence why I think the “Children of the Forest” concept here is problematic.

I think the main question you have to ask yourself is this: How does my deity lore fit in with already existing deity lore? If there is an overlap (like with the Aspects) then you should work to create some sort of merger, like using the Aspects to explain the existence of your Deities for example, rather than just have your lore be an entire seperate, isolated appendage with no relation to anything it shares the same niche with. That’s how we get lore bloat and thematic dissonance and its whats led to @FlamboyantRage going auscwitz on magic lore.

I suggest you do one of the following things:

• If no magic is involved, then RP out your gods without having canon lore for them

• Instead of having your Deities be isolated, standalone lore, tie them into existing lore. Perhaps they can *actually* have been ancient, powerful mortals that the Aspects or some Spirit made immortal, thus leading future generations to believe they were Immortal (The Talos/Elvhenan route).

• Or, make it so that your deities are just your culture’s interpretation of existing deities. For example, Cerridwen = Lagara. Oknar could be the Gorundyr’s interpretation of Anbella the dwarf god. Your idols all have animal avatars, which tie them in very conveniently with the already existing Mani lore:

Tl;dr:

Your lore is written well, but treads too deep into niches covered by existing lore. So to prevent lore bloat/lore redundancy, I highly suggest you merge your lore with already existing nature deity lore.

This is definitely some good feedback and some things I’ve thought of to a great extent already. Allow me to address the “Children of the Forest” comment first, as I’m sure there are several others like you who are worried about it.

These spirits have no involvement over nature outside of the realm they exist in. They would not be able to control anything in the mortal realm, nor would the minor spirits themselves likely even be able to manifest within it. They simply exist to give more flavor to the deific realm, and could even be seen as a poor form of imitation by Lagara herself. I will update the synopsis to add this.

• For the first point, while there is no magic tied in with this lore, there is a standalone submission that has already been posted by Wulfery that seeks to use this as a foundation for it to get accepted. I personally think that even without magic, this lore adds more potential for RP and events and is worth considering. 
  • Onto your second and third point, I’ve considered heavily over the years, but I’ll explain to you why I chose not to go that route. One would be the magic itself, which does rely on several of these new deities. The other major reason is the whole afterlife and ancestral approach. Any descendants who worship Lagara and the idols are promised an afterlife in her realm, something that would not be possible if we mixed and matched our gods with existing ones from the different pantheons and cultures on LotC. Living a full and honorable life so that you will be granted entrance into Halvengr is the most important thing to most of the Gorundyr and ancestral worship is pretty far up there. Lagara essentially manipulated these descendants from the beginning in any way that she could so that they developed more inline with her ideals.

In the end, I felt that many of the gods didn’t fit well enough with LotC ones, that there was enough unique here to create something standalone. This is just a foundation for even more ideas that seek to appeal to those who like norse mythology and flavor. I wrote it in a way that would not tread upon the toes of already existing groups (Druids, the Orcs with their spirits and ancestral lore) but still capture the spirit of the mythology the culture is based upon.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, Wulfery said:

Okay, so as I have some time now to actually write, I’ll go ahead.

I have been roleplaying as Gorundyr character for be it about over a year now. I’ve been doing that during time of their absence, as well as lately during times of their peak activity maybe even since they were created (Correct me Owyn if I’m wrong). It has not been easy, nor was it really pleasing at moments. Having culture be as it is, trying to scrape for even one or two people to keep up with myself, and almost begging to push the stuff back to be a thing again.

And I’ll be bloody damned. I don’t regret it one little bit. It was and still is a wonderful experience in regards of culture itself, but it was missing stuff that would turn it more appealing to upkeep with tribal style, with culture, with idea behind it. We are so used to humans being simply “humans” and nothing more, that to create a proper culture it takes effort like no other. Khadarsi tribe being a great example. Most of those RP’ing humans are going for GoT style and hey. They do it well. But as @Narthok said himself (despite calling us discount Norlanders grrrr), it’s amazing to see revival of human roleplay by different cultures coming back to life.

So. Here is the point about lore written mostly by Owyn and Posidon, regarding deities. I know it’s something that people plan to consider as “only for selective groups” as Lolz has said, and hey, to some degree it’ll be always true. Same as Elves are trying to make Druidism as magic and probably due to that also pushing it to deity part being only for elves, so this thing may be restricted to one group. But it’ll not be racelocked at most case, nor will it be kept away from other race RP, as with this becoming canon, we’ll be able to have events from time to time to express their presence, and we already have prepared magic to allow for more interaction between different groups (one which I’ll be soon enough adding few more things into), that will require to have this deity lore accepted as to allow further interactions.

So yes, I’m biased for this thing here, because hey, I’ve put a lot of effort into bringing this culture back to life, and then other people have put a lot of effort into making it actually interesting. In my honest opinion though, this may offer really amazing opportunities for extending human roleplay and actually making new interesting roleplay paths for other races as well.

Cheers.

Narthok hardly invented the viking theme

This Lore has been denied. While this is not poorly written, some on the team believes this Aengudaemon is too all-encompassing and steps on the toes of ones such as Cerridwen while only serving to retroactively canonize an existing group’s religion.

Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.