[✗] [Deity] Lagara, Goddess of Lein Hahnu

MajesticOwyn

1 minute ago, GrimReaper98 said:

just R O L E P L A Y it

this man is enligthened

17 minutes ago, Narthok said:

Y’all are already infamous for having weird Naztherak and other spooks about in your village. Idk why you need a god. 

As far as I know the populace of Arberrang doesn’t know this and it is only a select few of its inhabitants. The people here don’t worship any spooks, nor does it ever come up in RP.

This culture and religion has been around since Thales (the full writeup) so we’ve been role-playing it solely based on faith for a long time. The number one thing people have come to me about is getting actual gods that could add flavor and potential to our RP.

For now, this has no magic involved. No powers are gifted. It is just a Deity and some demigods to worship and interact with. It’s the next step, essentially.

2 minutes ago, MajesticOwyn said:

As far as I know the populace of Arberrang doesn’t know this and it is only a select few of its inhabitants. The people here don’t worship any spooks, nor does it ever come up in RP.

This culture and religion has been around since Thales (the full writeup) so we’ve been role-playing it solely based on faith for a long time. The number one thing people have come to me about is getting actual gods that could add flavor and potential to our RP.

For now, this has no magic involved. No powers are gifted. It is just a Deity and some demigods to worship and interact with. It’s the next step, essentially.

Its not a next step its a step backwards. Having canonized gods won’t add anything to your rp at all unless you **** ride an ET. All this does is make people feel better about their rp religion and open up the avenue for magic in the future.

2 minutes ago, Narthok said:

Its not a next step its a step backwards. Having canonized gods won’t add anything to your rp at all unless you **** ride an ET. All this does is make people feel better about their rp religion and open up the avenue for magic in the future.

I would think that even in the worst case scenario where someone experienced only one event with this lore, it would have added something to it. Anyone can make a request for an ET to do an event.

We’ll agree to disagree on this, because there is a clear interest for this kind of RP. It adds potential for character development and all of the neat RP that comes with interacting with divine beings. It is after-all a fantasy server.

Just now, MajesticOwyn said:

I would think that even in the worst case scenario where someone experienced only one event with this lore, it would have added something to it. Anyone can make a request for an ET to do an event.

We’ll agree to disagree on this, because there is a clear interest for this kind of RP. It adds potential for character development and all of the neat RP that comes with interacting with divine beings. It is after-all a fantasy server.

So you're writing this lore with the intention of interacting with a divine being as a culture group. Meeting gods does not develop characters at all, saying it will develop your character is about as credible as needing ERP to develop your character.

41 minutes ago, GrimReaper98 said:

just R O L E P L A Y it

Thus we have for more than a couple years. It's quite fun, really fun, but a canonization of it would be interesting in my opinnion. 

Fun seeing if other races would give the Gods some credibility and reputation

Can we cease trying to add new deities and just roleplay thinking they actually exist? It’s like irl. If you believe a deity you have no proof but you’ll still worship it even without validation, you feel? I just I’m just tired of all these new deities everyone wants to add instead of having it be aenguls or however you spell it that they attach a different name to.

this ****’s ok

just make sure to not make it so secluded (no comment on aenguldaemonic magics this time around)

Edited by Inquisitioners

people need to stop trying to make their deities canon

4 hours ago, Tidemanno said:

Thus we have for more than a couple years. It's quite fun, really fun, but a canonization of it would be interesting in my opinnion. 

Fun seeing if other races would give the Gods some credibility and reputation

You can have credibility through rp, you don't need a special deity to have it.

I think what many people here are pushing is a known sentiment, among the human playerbase. That the Canonizing of deities is not recommended, and that roleplaying it is better than making it visible as a living interacting entity. 

And Narthok is completely correct, this shall lead in the future to magic, abuse by other people extra. Take a look around at what happened to numerous other Anguel-Deamons how they were used and you shall understand the sentiment. Which may lead to hampering your cultural rp. Currently you have full control of your deity and religion, what you are doing is seceding that to others.

I shall let you guys know this the lore writers, by making your deity cannon you make it so that ET/Lore-Team extra can take control of your lore. Which has lead to disasters before and spiraled out of control. 

Edited by Sultan

I’m a bit torn, in the sense that I already have encouraged people to use lore to flesh out their culture, adding little bits of flavour to add depth to your culture’s RP.

However, a lot of this lore falls into the same niche as already existing deities and I’m concerned we will end up with two groups of Nature-based deities. The Aspects are generally this server’s go-to nature gods, and they have the Mani- a pantheon on spirit-Animal-Prince-things, hence why I think the “Children of the Forest” concept here is problematic.

I think the main question you have to ask yourself is this: How does my deity lore fit in with already existing deity lore? If there is an overlap (like with the Aspects) then you should work to create some sort of merger, like using the Aspects to explain the existence of your Deities for example, rather than just have your lore be an entire seperate, isolated appendage with no relation to anything it shares the same niche with. That’s how we get lore bloat and thematic dissonance and its whats led to @FlamboyantRage going auscwitz on magic lore.

I suggest you do one of the following things:

• If no magic is involved, then RP out your gods without having canon lore for them

• Instead of having your Deities be isolated, standalone lore, tie them into existing lore. Perhaps they can *actually* have been ancient, powerful mortals that the Aspects or some Spirit made immortal, thus leading future generations to believe they were Immortal (The Talos/Elvhenan route).

• Or, make it so that your deities are just your culture’s interpretation of existing deities. For example, Cerridwen = Lagara. Oknar could be the Gorundyr’s interpretation of Anbella the dwarf god. Your idols all have animal avatars, which tie them in very conveniently with the already existing Mani lore:

Tl;dr:

Your lore is written well, but treads too deep into niches covered by existing lore. So to prevent lore bloat/lore redundancy, I highly suggest you merge your lore with already existing nature deity lore.

9 hours ago, MajesticOwyn said:

As far as I know the populace of Arberrang doesn’t know this and it is only a select few of its inhabitants.

The main people who wrote this lore are those creatures, damn no need to be greedy.

2 hours ago, Sultan said:

I think what many people here are pushing is a known sentiment, among the human playerbase. That the Canonizing of deities is not recommended, and that roleplaying it is better than making it visible as a living interacting entity. 

And Narthok is completely correct, this shall lead in the future to magic, abuse by other people extra. Take a look around at what happened to numerous other Anguel-Deamons how they were used and you shall understand the sentiment. Which may lead to hampering your cultural rp. Currently you have full control of your deity and religion, what you are doing is seceding that to others.

I shall let you guys know this the lore writers, by making your deity cannon you make it so that ET/Lore-Team extra can take control of your lore. Which has lead to disasters before and spiraled out of control. 

Mad respect from me. Well answered and good critisism. Also hard to argue at certain points, and I’ll defintely give it a deep think.

Mogroka shattered my world with those new points.

I still am going to +1 this, but definitely keep Sultan’s points in mind! I think many races have niche religions and deities and such, and I think this would only enhance your rp, and saying it only fits a small group of people is a stupid reason, given that all deities only affect a small ammount of people. (Tahariae, Xan, Aspectism, and many other deities that have group-locked magic.)