Air Evocation, Revised.

Ducklingator

Starting off with this, I’d like to clarify that this isn’t an addition. The only thing I’m doing here is properly defining the lines of air evocation; the original process of conjuring air through the void and so forth still applies. To make this system more easily comprehensible, I’ll define a few very common ‘spells’. Keep in mind that these spells are not the only thing you can do with the magic.

Gust

Defined as evoking air to move any amount of objects in any size or shape. This is often the first spell an air evocationist learns, because it can be done at any given quantity in the realm of possibility; an apprentice may practice by using a gust to move leaves, or dust off a small surface. Gusts can be used to hurl objects, such as daggers or rocks, at a given target, which does require the user to stand still. While there’s no limit to how many objects one can lift with one gust of air, the object’s weight is often a problem; so while grains of sand can be moved around in bulk, a large and dense chunk of sand will prove more difficult to move. This spell can also be used to deflect a single projectile, or push back gas. It can even disperse a mystic’s deadbreath.

Redlines:

Can’t make any object levitate above six inches in the air. Levitate means stay in place, in the air, meaning you can still launch an object upwards. (To a realistic height.)

Takes at least two emotes to use. Three in combat.

Must emote fatigue. (Unless if tiers 4-5, in which case must emote fatigue for objects over 5lbs)

Push

Defined as evoking a large amount of air to push another being. A mage will need at least a month of practice before being able to use this spell to any effect. (Tier 2+). At more advanced levels, this spell can cause some degree of whiplash when one is pushed in the air, or render one unconscious/break bones if pushed into a solid object. The limitations go as such:

One Month: One foot away, tremendous exertion.

Two months: Three feet away & Tremendous exertion, or one foot away and mild exertion.

Three months: Seven feet away/One foot for an armored foe & Tremendous exertion, or three feet away and mild exertion.

Four months: Ten feet away/three feet for an armored foe & Tremendous exertion, or five feet away and mild exertion. Below three feet means enough energy left to cast another spell. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being pushed. Effect is greater on armored foes.

Five months: Fifteen feet away/Seven feet for an armored foe & Tremendous exertion, or five feet away and mild exertion. Below five feet means enough energy left to cast another spell. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being pushed, Effect is greater on armored foes. Can render one unconscious if pushed into a solid object.

Six months: Twenty five feet away/Twelve for an armored foe & Tremendous exertion, or 13 feet away and mild exertion. Below nine feet means enough energy left to cast another spell. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being pushed, Effect is greater on armored foes. Can render one unconscious if pushed into a solid object. Can break bones when pushed into a solid object.

Redlines:

Can’t make people levitate. Levitation means you stay mid-air without moving.

Takes at least three emotes to use. Four for anything that causes tremendous exertion, four for anything that has an after effect like being rendered unstable.

Must emote fatigue. Can’t use two spells without rest, unless specified as such.

A killing blow will only be possible for a tier five, with four emotes, and a solid object to push somebody into.

Air Shield

Defined as evoking air to deflect projectiles, gasses, and anything else that can realistically be pushed by air. A mage will need at least three months of practice before being able to use this spell to any effect. (Tier 3+). At more advanced levels, it can affect a larger area, but no more than a 5 block radius around the user. Smaller shields will have a more reliable effect. While gusts are more single-use, this spell excels at blocking several projectiles, especially ones fired off at different times; or blocking gasses off for a longer time.

Redlines:

Takes at least three emotes to use.

Can’t fully stop a projectile with this spell, unlike gusts. This spell redirects them. Can’t redirect a projectile back to where it was shot (or any angle nearly as sharp).

Can’t be used to redirect a projectile at any specific location. Where the projectile flies is random; for the sake of convenience, it will always fly off somewhere it won’t hurt anybody.

Launch

Defined as evoking air to propel a living being into the air. This includes being able to lift one’s self off the ground, in which case concentration breaks right after use, meaning one would need to direct themselves somewhere they can land safely, or they risk sustaining injury. A mage will need at least four months of practice before being able to use this spell to any effect. (Tier 4+). This spell may be used to avoid projectiles, bypass relatively large walls (no mechanic use without Region Owner permission), or even as a means of combat. The limitations go as such:

Four months: Can launch a person up seven feet into the air with mild exertion. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being launched.

Five months: Can launch a person up twelve feet into the air/four feet for an armored foe with mild exertion. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being launched. Effect is greater on armored foes.

Six months: Can launch a person up seventeen feet into the air/nine feet for an armored foe with mild exertion. May render an opponent unstable for a few emotes after being launched. Effect is greater on armored foes.

Redlines:

Takes at least three emotes to use. Four in combat.

Can’t make people levitate. Levitation means you stay mid-air without moving.

Must emote fatigue.

Can’t be used to kill (unless thrown into a deadly place, such as a cliff).

Temperature Shift

Defined as evoking air and changing its temperature for whatever use intended. A mage will need at least three months of practice before being able to use this spell to any effect. (Tier 3+). At more advanced levels, changes in temperature may be more extreme. This spell may be used in conjunction with other spells to cause added discomfort, with the cost of slightly more exertion, or on its own, to cool/heat up a place for some time. At more extreme temperatures, this spell can be used to put out fires more effectively with colder air, cause large amounts of discomfort, and so on.

Redlines

Can’t be used to set anything on fire.

Can’t be used to cause frostbite or burns unless applied for a long time (five emotes).

Must emote sligthly greater fatigue if used in conjunction with other spells. Must emote fatigue when used alone.

Clarifications

This guide, as stated above, changes nothing. All of these abilities have always been part of the magic, this just exists to set defined limits to commonly used spells. These specific spells are only there because they encompass most of the things an air evocationist would use their magic for and, by no means, is an air evocationist limited to only these spells.

Also; I know this entire thing looks like too much. One can argue that it’s unnecessary, or too strict, or makes magic seem more like a textbook thing and less and about writing. But from my experience with the magic, these very strict line are basically a must-have, otherwise anyone can come up and say that you’re powergaming, or on the contrary, actually start powergaming. I think it’s less of a should have because it would make the community better for it, and more of a must have because, considering how winning-focused combat is in the server, everything needs to be well defined. If you have any feedback/suggestions as for a better way to solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

General Redlines

No form of air evocation can provide flight.

No form of air evocation can be used to choke somebody.

No form of air evocation can be used to conjure anything other than air.

No form of air evocation can be used to control existing air.

No form of air evocation can be used to conjure solid air, air swords/armor/tools, etc.

Thank you for reading!

It looks aesthetically pleasing and understandable to newcomers of the evocation magic, well done SuperDuckyGamer on writing this up. However, there is already an approved Lore thread for the evocation up and I would like to clarify if that is outdated and hence needed a new lore submission or this lore piece is seeking to replace it?

2 minutes ago, Cassiflorn said:

It looks aesthetically pleasing and understandable to newcomers of the evocation magic, well done SuperDuckyGamer on writing this up. However, there is already an approved Lore thread for the evocation up and I would like to clarify if that is outdated and hence needed a new lore submission or this lore piece is seeking to replace it?

This lore isn’t meant to replace the existing lore. I just feel that the current lore thread isn’t extensive enough and doesn’t suit the current state of combat on lotc which is, frankly, hectic in loads of ways.

Just now, SuperDuckyGamer said:

This lore isn’t meant to replace the existing lore. I just feel that the current lore thread isn’t extensive enough and doesn’t suit the current state of combat on lotc which is, frankly, hectic in loads of ways.

It devolves the original intention for evocation lore, as its essence has been a narrative-based magic. Simultaneously, it makes it straightforward and simplistic for entry-level magic users to pick up the magic in a concise manner. As a former user of the art, I am not in support of this as a lore replacement and suggest that it could be a lore extension or even added to the old thread to modernize it. 

Just now, Cassiflorn said:

It devolves the original intention for evocation lore, as its essence has been a narrative-based magic. Simultaneously, it makes it straightforward and simplistic for entry-level magic users to pick up the magic in a concise manner. As a former user of the art, I am not in support of this as a lore replacement and suggest that it could be a lore extension or even added to the old thread to modernize it. 

I understand that some people don’t like the idea of having magic be something strict and simple like this, but the limitations are mostly set for combat scenes, which are inherently just chaotic because both sides are never willing to lose. In that instance, either the side being attacked by that magic refuses to acknowledge its effects, or the side casting starts powergaming. I think making every limit really set in stone without putting the power level for debate (or as you phrased it, changing it from a narrative-based magic to something fully guided by lore) would be a good way to make issues like that less frequent, and give a good way to settle fights like that when they do happen.

I think all Void magics that are heavy in combat use could benefit from having a lore approved sample spell set. It’s important to establish the norms for the extent and type of damage that can be done for an entirely text based system. I’d much prefer having references like this to counter powergaming without going the spell-point route.

Even avid supporters of free-form evocation can use something like this to base their spells off of. With that said, this specific piece should be looked at closely again with a LT or a MT to improve on the exacts that are noted here.

1 minute ago, Luxury said:

I think all Void magics that are heavy in combat use could benefit from having a lore approved sample spell set. It’s important to establish the norms for the extent and type of damage that can be done for an entirely text based system. I’d much prefer having references like this to counter powergaming without going the spell-point route.

Even avid supporters of free-form evocation can use something like this to base their spells off of. With that said, this specific piece should be looked at closely again with a LT or a MT to improve on the exacts that are noted here.

I’m open to any changes, the specific numbers aren’t what I was going for as much as the idea of defining all of the existing limits more clearly.

Interesting ideas, seem fine mostly. I would be very cautious with ‘Gust’ though, the idea that it can be used to throw rocks or daggers seems both unreasonable for something involving air currents, and too close to telekinesis.

The value and intrigue I have always found in air evocation is that it is not a combative magic, it is largely defensive and utilitarian. Giving it pseudo-telekinesis for throwing weapons really damages that niche it fills, and will discourage more creative, non-lethal methods of attack from practitioners.

At the very least, I would limit the manipulation of things that heavy or dense to t4 or higher, you’d need to be conjuring freakin’ hurricane winds in extremely controlled patterns in order to manipulate that stuff effectively.

1 minute ago, Kalehart said:

Interesting ideas, seem fine mostly. I would be very cautious with ‘Gust’ though, the idea that it can be used to throw rocks or daggers seems both unreasonable for something involving air currents, and too close to telekinesis.

The value and intrigue I have always found in air evocation is that it is not a combative magic, it is largely defensive and utilitarian. Giving it pseudo-telekinesis for throwing weapons really damages that niche it fills, and will discourage more creative, non-lethal methods of attack from practitioners.

Throwing things with air evocation has always been a thing. Obviously it’s not nearly as accurate as telekinesis, but the idea was always there. It’s just that, nobody learns air evocation to throw daggers and rocks around, that’s the reason that you don’t really see that happening too often. I do understand the concern, though.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, LadyAmayo said:

I also end up msg’ing Ducky regarding if I’m even rp’ing it right – despite being T5.

Same

You have thusly inspired me to make something like this for water evocation, although the current guide for it is very good it leaves a lot up to the imagination (which i love, but some clarification would be cool)

Anyways for this post, i enjoyed the read, and i think it’s really helpful.

Spoiler

Thank you for submitting your piece, it is now under review. A verdict shall be given in 1 and a half weeks, give or take (I will warn you that it might take longer depending on how many people are busy with finals, as I do not believe in having my team members prioritize LotC over IRL).

Thread is being locked to prevent edits to the lore while voting occurs (if you need to make edits, contact me). Also, if you have feedback regarding the lore that you wish to pass to the LT, feel free to toss me a PM.

Edit: It seems I misclicked and sent this to a different place than originally intended. Apologies for the confusion.

This lore has been denied. As you yourself noted, it doesn’t really add anything and only clarifies certain ways you could use the magic. This would be better made into a guide for the magic, rather than a lore post.