Ruins of Anthos Vol. I - Northern Anthos

Silver_State

Ruins of Anthos Vol. I - Northern Anthos

By Kaelin Maheriel

Foreword

This new land of Anthos brings us many new wonders and mysteries, perhaps foremost of all being the presence of ruins - irrefutable evidence of one or more ancient civilizations. Despite their mystery, ruins are not an uncommon sight to the well-versed traveller or scholar. Lost Asulon bore ruins throughout its lands - misplaced statues and aqueducts near the Cloud Sanctuary, sandstone ruins in the deserts, ancient Mori’Quessir cave carvings in Malinor and of course the prolific ruins on Adyton island to name but a few. However, aside from these traces, there was little to suggest what caused the downfall of these cultures. Now that we find ourselves in a new land, we are again confronted with unexplained echoes of lost cultures. What caused their downfall? What was the purpose of these structures? Who created them? These are all questions that we are unlikely to ever have a definitive answer to. However, perhaps with time and effort spent on researching and excavating these ruins we can shine what little light we can on the ruins of Anthos.

Ruins of Malinor

The forests and cliffs of the north hold many treasures beside those of the natural kind. South-West of Malinor, following the path through the hills and glens, can be found a valley of trees with height only rivalled by the mighty boughs of Leumalin and Malinor. Game abounds in these woods, and the sight of these lands causes the wood-elf side of my psyche to sing with glee. However, should you walk these trails at night, one would find their gaze attracted to the roots of the mighty trees. Among the sunken hollows of these pines lie hidden alcoves of carved stone, with small worm-like tunnels in the walls glowing with the ruddy light. Any attempts to determine the source of these lights is made impossible by the presence of metal bars that block the observer’s gaze down the snaking tunnels. What was the purpose of these hollows? Hard to say. Perhaps they were nothing more than points of rest for weary travellers of some bygone empire, but their complexity and detail suggests that they were part of something larger. We must also consider the possibility that these hollows have existed long before the trees that dominate them, and that this forested valley could hide an ancient city. Piles of similarly carved, ancient rubble would seem support this theory, but detailed research and excavation would be needed to yield tangible results.

Another, perhaps more pressing point on interest in this valley is the presence of what appears to be an abandoned camp, made from cloth and lumber. The presence of what appears to be a sawmill and numerous tree stumps raise the likelihood that this was a lumber-camp. What is startling about this find is that it could not have been more than a few years old, yet it predates our arrival on Anthos. This potentially ground-breaking discovery could have profound implications for our time here. Is Anthos still inhabited? And if so, by what? The wooden camp bared no resemblance to the ruins of the land and is unlikely to belong to the same culture, but the fact that it was here before us raises many questions. Of course, another theory to consider is that this camp was made by the scouts sent ahead of our exodus to prepare the way. But the positioning of the camp away from any race it could have belonged to is troubling; although clearly positioned near the lands of the Mali it bears resemblance to Valah, Bortu or even Uruk architecture. This mystery is among the most pressing that need to be solved.

AMMENDMENT:

The ancient lumber camp has since been commandeered by my Mali’ker brethren for use as a town. While I welcome the independence this has brought, many areas of the site have been damaged beyond repair, including the removal of several ornate towers and dwellings.

By following the Malinor River to its mouth in the West and looking to the southern cliffs when a southern tributary stream reaches the mouth, a well lit cave can be seen. Inside this cave one is confronted by a series of carved stone brick columns, each with a large glowstone cube set into them. The northern entrance is partially blocked by a fallen column, but it is easily traversible. The cave is well lit by glowing columns, revealing it’s inner architecture. To the south lies a downward passage completely submerged in water and blocked by ruined masonry. My attempts to move some of the fallen rubble out of the way were to no avail, and I doubt that anything beside a full excavation effort could reveal this lost tunnel. To the east is another passage, open but hewn from the rock in a way that suggests that it was left unfinished; no glowstone lamps or pillars light this section of the cave or support it from cave-ins. Aside this eastern passage lies a chamber that is blocked by rubble. After a few hours of hard work I managed to create a workable way in, revealing a rubble-strewn rectangular chamber  dominated by a rectangular stone slab. Whether this slab is some kind of altar or a tombstone is unknown. Coming back to the main atrium, a series of rough stairs with brick steps can be seen heading upward towards the light of a cave leading to the open sky, but unfortunately these steps are eroded and unreachable from the atrium. After traversing the outer cliffs I managed to reach the upper cave and found a small series of cliff caverns. Each one bears a glowstone cube similar to the ones in the atrium’s pillars, but set in a haphazard manner. Perhaps this area was next to be embellished before its builders fled?

Whatever the truth of this ruin, it is my firm belief that it should be given priority in excavation. Who knows what secrets this place could reveal about those who came before us?

There are many other points of interest in the Malinor Valley. By following the Malinor River, many features of culture’s past can be seen, including an exquisite fountain statue on the northern bank that continues to spout water from its hand. Who or what this statue represents is unknown, but the beauteous carvings and obsidian facial features of the ancient visage further add to the sense of mystery.

Further from the bank but still on the northern side is a stone circle made from several interlocking arches, thin and made of whitestone covered in moss. Within the circle is a swampy depression that exudes a mysterious green fog, making it hard to distinguish swamp grass from green water. Oddly, another stone circle lies on the south bank, but in a far different style. While the northern circle is made of thin, nondescript arches, the southern circle is made of carved menhirs made of ornate stone blocks and wooden slats. Perhaps more surprising is a roaring fire at the centre of the southern circle, which either suggests that it is maintained by magical means, or that it is maintained by living beings...

An Ancient Cloud Temple

Perhaps the most fascinating ruin in all of Northern Anthos is a ruin that can only be compared to the spectacular ruined temple of the Mallowlyn Woodlands in Asulon; a massive ruin within the lands of the Anthos Cloud Temple.

Upon entering the Cloud Temple lands from the northern gate - a gate which just so happens to lead to the wooded valley I spoke of earlier - heading east will take you to an old wooden bridge that leads to a beautiful ruined courtyard, with water features and a cross-mosaic. Perhaps more stunning is the view above; ruined halls snake their way up the cliff to a massive - and completely intact - ancient tower. Unfortunately, the logical entrance to such a complex, a large circular door, is blocked by rubble. However, upon further searching, a set of stairs snakes up through the ruined masonry and onto a stone bridge that leads to the a tunnel that snakes up to the upper hall. These tunnels remarkably bear the same glowstone cubes that can be seen in the cave colonnade in Malinor. Perhaps they were created by the same civilization? Reaching the hall reveals a beautiful vista to the observer, showing the entirety of the stunning complex below.

Sadly, this is where the adventurer’s journey ends; a set of implacable iron doors block the war to the tower itself. No matter how much force I applied to the doors they remained unmoved. Not letting this deter me, I scaled the side of the mountain to peer through the cracks of the tower. Although my view was brief it was wonderous. A marvelous glowstone chandelier runs down the centre of the tower, shining light onto well preserved steps and engraved alcoves. Redstone lamps can also be seen along the walls, creating an air of mystique and ritual.

With that in mind I wonder what was the purpose of this place? An ancient fortress? The abode of some ancient mage? Perhaps a temple similar to the one that we have built in the valley below? These are questions that will be in our minds should future scholars decide to investigate this fascinating edifice.

Ruins in the Ice

Of all the places in Anthos, the frozen lands behind the great Northern ice cliffs are the only ones yet to be explored. Attempts to pick through these ice walls with conventional tools meet with no avail, leaving nothing but scratches. However, due to its glass like transparency, travellers are sometimes able to catch glimpses of the world beyond the ice walls. When gazing through the ice near the Teuton castle in northern Oren one can see an elaborate stone totem, carved with eldritch symbols and baring three menacing skulls. Although offering only a small glimpse into the true North, this sight brings many new questions for us. Who built this totem? The use of skulls in architecture has never been seen in any other Anthosian ruins; such crude symbols are usually signs of a tribal civilization such as the Uruks, and not the advanced culture suggested by the stones seen in Malinor and southern Anthos. Totems such as these are also primarily a warning - indeed the Uruks employ a similar practice to deter trespassers from entering their lands. Are these totems a warning? And if so, were they intended to be seen by travellers peering through the ice. Are we the intended targets of such a warning, or some ancient foe of ages past? Perhaps the apparent tribal culture that the totem suggests was warding off the civilized folk of the south? However, if we are the targets, that brings the possibility that such a culture could exist in seclusion beyond the ice. The thought of an intact and undiscovered culture is certainly enticing, however unlikely.

Although this theory may sound outlandish to some, further evidence can be found on a plateau near the ice wall in northern Malinor. On a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley of Oren, hidden behind a hill, lies a ring of carved ruins similar to the stones of the ice totem. Perhaps more disturbing is the sight of a smouldering fire pit and hide tents, with the frosted ground strewn with bones and blood. This chilling scene appears to be some kind of hunting camp, or - if my theory of the ice wall being some kind of isolating barrier is true - a camp for scouts to watch for intruders. As a hunter for nigh on three centuries, the scent of fire still clinging to the embers told told me that it had only been mere weeks since the pit had been lit. If this is true, and this ruin is some kind of scout camp, it’s inhabitants may have fled when we made our presence known in the valley’s below it; perhaps to warn some other tribe on the other side of the ice. Whatever the truth of the matter, this evidence is certainly disturbing.

Natural Beauty

Although I had promised myself to keep this text on point I find myself unable to prevent myself from describing the wonders of the Spider Cave. Although not specifically a ruin, I find it to be a most profound example of a breed of natural beauty not seen since the now-lost caverns of Menorcress in Asulon. It’s entrance does, however, bear the carved stones seen in other Anthosian ruins. Upon exiting Leumalin from the gate to the Western Docks if one hugs the cliff wall they will find a gaping and glowing cave. Upon entering, one would be greeted by two sights; course black pebbles on the cave floor and and a thick covering of spiderweb on the cave ceiling. Despite any natural reaction of fear one might have from this evidence of a spider infestation, none of my visits have managed to show any sign of current habitation. Past this initial cave can be seen a quite remarkable sight. The cave opens on the lip of a massive cave, covered in mushrooms and vines of all descriptions, but perhaps most striking are the massive luminous mushrooms, headed with sweeping translucent caps that bow towards a beautiful subterranean lake. I would urge any druid or scholar who reads this to visit this sight, as it represents an unique environment quite unlike anything I have seen outside the labyrinthine caverns of Menorcress.

AMMENDMENT:

Do not travel to this cave without heavy guard! A spider broodmother seriously injured a druid when I led an expedition to the cave and her brood is still in residence. Take extreme caution!

Epilogue

In my next volumes I shall explore and describe the prolific ruins of the satellite landmass known to most as ‘The Wilds’, a lawless and dangerous region that is host to what have been said to be the most complete and extensive ruins in Anthos, as well as the ruins of Southern Anthos. Until that time, I offer these observations of a simple traveller to the purview of Malinor’s scholars to do as they please.

Penned by Kaelin Mahariel, traveller and amateur explorer.

Map References ~

Lumber Camp and Forest Ruins - ((X:-1176 Y:88 Z:-398))

Cave Colonnade - ((X:-936 Y:72 Z:-729))

Statue and Stone Circles - ((X:-853 Y:72 Z:-795))

Tower Temple Ruin - ((X:-787 Y:85 Z:-136))

Ice Camp - ((X:-137 Y:121 Z:-997))

Spider Cave - ((X:-920 Y:67 Z:-1178)