EternalSaturn

Spoiler

Hey everyone!

I thought I would post this before my day really starts, do to begin, please forgive me if I miss anything or leave something out as I go. As for the topic of this thread, I would like to talk about current events, future events, and the usage of established lore in those events.

I was speaking to some friends last night, in regards to the desire for a furthering of the the server’s storyline and the usage of our implemented lore to achieve that. As it currently stands, we have the Vaeyl and the September Prince eventlines, which have generated a lot of roleplay for players of every race on LOTC. However, going forward, I know there are quite a few who do wonder if the lore that we’ve already had will ever be used in exciting storylines going forward.

It seems a shame to not make use of things like the aenguldaemons (not Gazardiael or Aeriel, but some more obscure figures) or even something involving the Void. One could even consider race-specific eventlines, such as exploring the history of a hidden saint for Humans, a pumpkin famine for the Halflings and learning its cause, or the Orc discovering a nomadic tribe of their kind not inclined to blood lust and determining what to do with them. Even just niche stories like that, I believe, would keep people more interested in returning to the server and enjoying what I have for the last (almost) 4 years on this server.

Again, I think the current two eventlines are good and fun, I have participated in both in the last few months on my characters. But in the future, I would love to personally see more eventlines that take what we already have, instead of making something new, and expanding on it to make a richer experience for the players. An eventline to learn why Metztli is obsessed with creating a master race, a dwarven cave of riches that curses any who enter, or even the rise of an ancient undead who seeks a hidden goal would all be enticing ideas for those who wish to delve deeper into server lore and history. Some of these ideas, of course, have already been played with and used in the past. I believe however that simply pushing those concepts off to the side because they’ve been used already, and can’t be improved upon or used in an even better way, isn’t good in regards to all the good lore that we have and that people would like to see.

Anyways, let me know what you think in your replies, I thought I would just post this to see how everyone feels about the direction of lore-involved eventlines going forward, and whether you prefer new concepts that expand as the storyline plays out vs the concepts provided by long-time server lore that could be expanded on through said-eventlines.

Have a good day!

tenor.gif?itemid=5184239

Stitch really has no relation to any of this, but...

Current lore just doesn’t work well with creating a narrative that’s more engaging than a glorified “oh i cleared a big thing and found out something thats written on a history post.” With no lore being hidden, the ability to actually have characters discover things and be interested ooc’ly and ic’ly is non existent.

LotC lore structure is fundamentally flawed in regards to its applicability in events.

4 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Current lore just doesn’t work well with creating a narrative that’s more engaging than a glorified “oh i cleared a big thing and found out something thats written on a history post.” With no lore being hidden, the ability to actually have characters discover things and be interested ooc’ly and ic’ly is non existent.

LotC lore structure is fundamentally flawed in regards to its applicability in events.

So I have a question then: Would you prefer entirely new lore being written, implemented, and used going forward, or do you think there is possibility for fixing and saving past lore to make it more mysterious and exciting for players? And in regards to new lore being used, should it be submitted before the event or simply revealed as it goes along and perhaps submitted privately?

8 minutes ago, EternalSaturn said:

So I have a question then: Would you prefer entirely new lore being written, implemented, and used going forward, or do you think there is possibility for fixing and saving past lore to make it more mysterious and exciting for players? And in regards to new lore being used, should it be submitted before the event or simply revealed as it goes along and perhaps submitted privately?

“If” a submission is made, then it should be submitted privately for the sake of avoiding any potential for meta-gaming. The idea of what you talk about in your post of using “aengudaemons” or “the void” as pivotal plot-points is what reveals both pieces as lazily written and implemented into the server. Both concepts have been butchered time and time again by either ET, LT or admins who decided they wanted to spin their own take on these things, where they have bombed out. To no avail.

Race specific eventlines should be orientated to the current culture, using nostalgia and ‘history’ as a leading entry is something that should be avoided. There have been eventlines where they are race-driven, but not using the crutch of lore to reinforce their legitimacy. Instead, what they do is normally expand on a character’s experiences and give them something that the players /then/ can use as history.

The September Prince eventline is essentially “lorebloat” 101, condensed into a shoddy format and rolled out with significant drawbacks. It overuses the base lore it was given, moulds it and breaks druidism while doing so, and then using something that was written this map to bolster a significance to it. This is not what eventlines should be. If you want a historic, lore based setting. You do what Xarkly is doing currently with the Vaeyl Order, things that have enough relevance to the older lore but give a fresh take that allows it to be engaging for the rest of the server.

basically race driven eventlines should actually provide the ability to bolster cultural significance for later players while most bits of lore have been butchered severely enough to never be enjoyable again.

I do agree with this but I feel the examples you listed wouldn’t make very good narratives for a large scale event line, perhaps some new lore could be written privately that is designed to play a good story.  

3 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Race specific eventlines should be orientated to the current culture

You're wrong right here but everything else seems good. Racial Eventlines shouldn't be based off of the current existing human cultures but ones that have existed or are relevant to history. If the dominant human culture on LoTC was Japanese Farfolks, I'm not going to do a human eventline where Horen is a Farfolk or where his empire is based off of feudal Japan. 

7 hours ago, Elennanore said:

You're wrong right here but everything else seems good. Racial Eventlines shouldn't be based off of the current existing human cultures but ones that have existed or are relevant to history. If the dominant human culture on LoTC was Japanese Farfolks, I'm not going to do a human eventline where Horen is a Farfolk or where his empire is based off of feudal Japan. 

this is exactly not what I meant at all. By current culture I meant the people taking part and having something orientated to their own culture with things as simple as militant or exploration based things.

do things that the players would enjoy was the tl;dr. Current culture was meant to reflect the event group you're handling, bad wording on my part

When it comes to eventlines one thing that’s essential is passion

ET need to be interested and passionate in what they’re doing in order to make it great

Problem is, one of the best sources of passion and interest is that it’s typically your own writing. When it comes to the huge expanse of LOTC lore – well, obviously, it was written by someone else, sometimes a long ago. It can be really really really hard to be passionate about someone else’s writing, which is why I’ve never really looked through LOTC lore – beyond its absolute core foundations – and picked out something to make an event out of. Furthermore, the amount of times certain lore has been rewritten makes it nigh ******* impossible to get a version of it that people are happy with. For example, when I was looking at tying in some Orc lore for Vaeyl, it was an absolute clusterfuck trying to find out the old lore since so many (older) players discredited Smawton’s rewrite as pure fiction that flew in the face of old RP and lore.

Example: Atlas had a bunch of lore written for each individual region so that ET could take that lore and do event shite with it. Problem was, each part of lore was written individually by LT, so no matter how nicely it was written, it was all disjointed and made for poor world-building in that it didn’t make Atlas feel like one world, or one story, at all. So I was a dickhead (and I apologize to all the LT who worked on writing that lore) and completely made my own event lore of Atlas history, and without trying to sound too arrogant, I think it made for a much more interesting story of Atlas pre-Descendant arrival.

tldr; lore can often be non event-friendly, and ET tend to be much more passionate about their own writing (in my experience)

I am not a fan of /event magic/ because in the most of the cases that i have experienced it lacks of the balance that normal magics require to be accepted and usually they fail to interact properly with the rest of magics, creatures and lore.

I for one feel that the races of Aegis have already had too many enemies – there is still plenty room to expand on past foes especially considering where these past few maps are located in the story. I was very saddened to see so much of stuff rewritten and/or outright changed during my absence from the server. I hope that those in charge of lore will return to the meat of our story and the early happenings of the four brothers.

BcygdZ0.png

RJTgtdE.png

4 hours ago, shiftnative said:

I for one feel that the races of Aegis have already had too many enemies – there is still plenty room to expand on past foes especially considering where these past few maps are located in the story. I was very saddened to see so much of stuff rewritten and/or outright changed during my absence from the server. I hope that those in charge of lore will return to the meat of our story and the early happenings of the four brothers.

BcygdZ0.png

RJTgtdE.png

good post.

just curious as to how vailor would fit in as we travelled through a portal at the end of vailor to get to axios.

9 hours ago, shiftnative said:

BcygdZ0.png

RJTgtdE.png

Wish they’d retcon those graphics, tbh. Having 2.0 to the Fringe be in a separate world contradicts every piece of player lore from that time and is something that is either unrecognized by players, or just flat out ignored.

12 hours ago, Fishy said:

Wish they’d retcon those graphics, tbh. Having 2.0 to the Fringe be in a separate world contradicts every piece of player lore from that time and is something that is either unrecognized by players, or just flat out ignored.

I made these graphics and the reason for placing them in different boxes is because in-character we don’t know where these places are in relation to one another – some characters might assume that it’s on the same plane, but they have zero frame of reference when stepping through a portal (It’s not like when traveling via boats where you can say “Oh we traveled west” etc) you just end up somewhere.

I often preferred to leave some things up to perspective to allow for more variance for in-character ideas and because defining some things as law/canon often just leads to less room for imagination.

18 hours ago, Gusano said:

good post.

just curious as to how vailor would fit in as we travelled through a portal at the end of vailor to get to axios.

I knew i forgot something! Damn them.. another portal!? I was so adamant about ONLY having portals take us between these two places so that we wouldn’t have this disorienting problem.. that’s what I get for leaving the team I guess.. 🙍‍♂️

@shiftnative We sailed to Vailor from Athera. We then took some spooky Shamanistic world-gate to Axios, which was the Elven homeland (nice lack of Elf events there). Axios had part of the Abyss of Aegis clipping into it, same for Atlas; your map is right, you just need to throw Vailor off the coast of Athera somewhere.