Man of Respect

the only way to fix economy is with a crafting plugin and this is why

what things do you agree with on the entire propposition https://docs.google.com/document/d/132NN9uj4FespWfberIHBavDcqnml2NMFIRaOrGRq1hc/edit  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Energy System

• I like the Energy System
    • I dislike the Energy System
    • I'll comment my opinion about how it can be changed/improved or why it shouldn't be implemented
    • Indifferent
  2. 2. Reducing Professions

• I agree with Reducing Professions
    • I disagree with Reducing Professions
    • I'll comment my opinion about how it can be changed/improved or why it shouldn't be implemented
    • Indifferent
  3. 3. Special resources

• I agree with special resources (and subsequently special armor that create armor tiers)
    • I disagree with special resources
    • Indifferent
  4. 4. Specialization

• I agree with specialization (this is less snowball-ish, smoother and non-obligatory Nexus Grinding)
    • I disagree with specialization
    • Indifferent

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2018 at 02:00 PM

pool is based off these google docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/132NN9uj4FespWfberIHBavDcqnml2NMFIRaOrGRq1hc/edit

please prove me wrong:

scarcity won’t fix the economy. It’ll have a good impact initially due to how scarce iron armor will be, but clickers get their armor from other clickers and eventually iron armor will be common.

resource nodes won’t fix the economy. they’ll cater more towards groups which will create a massive monopoly on materials, and the idea of rolling for resources (implementing required moderator intervention) is extremely bureaucratic. Even if you add rolls for rarer resources for different armor tiers, this just creates a worse situation where during times of war these items will be slightly higher in demand and there will be hoarders that will have all of these materials. They will probably either keep it for themselves or sell them at overwhelming prices.

nexus creates the idea of nation funds instead of paying some 15 to 30 irrelevant people that want to make Paradox Universalis gaming on LotC warclaims. But this also has a weakness; the winning side snowballs because it gets more armor the more warclaims it wins.

to fix the economy, this is one of the few, if not only solution that me and my friends came with. It surely could use some polishing and that’s the kind of feedback I want to hear from you guys. I barely log on LotC any longer, but I’ve decided that I’d drop down this bomb + poll and you guys came to your own solutions. If you say that Nexus was bad, I’ll step ahead and affirm you’re wrong because the likes of someone is subjective to the situation. I’m sure citizens don’t approve a corrupt goverment, but a corrupt government does approve itself because it nets them mad money from your pockets 💰

I’ve messaged this to Telanir, come down to your own conclusions, I don’t care, **** you if you read this line btw lol... i don’t even log on if it isn’t for warclaims anymore 

All these four ideas must be implemented together to create a working economy. This will, in theory, create a market around the special armor and what is crafted out of it. This is not 100% sure that will fix the economy, but it’s also the only thing I’ve managed to come with: energy, professions, custom crafting and special resources/armor, just like nexus in theory, but a watered down version

Hey sporadic, since NotEvilAtAll deleted the economy chat because he got angry over some bad stuff, I've finished writing the base concept of our propposition

Google Docs
NEXUS REWORK IDEAS Subjects: Topic 1 - Energy System To craft with the Nexus Rework, most items will require energy and players have a certain limit of energy per persona. To craft more PvP-oriented items, people will need specialization (topic 3). Everyone can craft every...
laV-mDXweoQEoUQKSx3oLvMKnSLHOiBS8PbEWKqI
I am still having it reviewed by ultraviolentpixie to see if it'll REALLY work
but this is the base concept of stuff. The intention is that there are different tiers of gear that do not essentially snowball and pvp can be kept at an even level
because the bonuses will be too weak to be considerable
such as +6% -> +12% -> 16% -> 20% weapon percentages where 20% is the max and these are fixed values that are linked to their resources... example: Iron Sword - 0%, 110 energy Super Iron Sword - 6%, 326 energy Anime Iron Sword - 12%, 900 energy Chinese katana - 16%, 1000 energy Very Chinese Katana - 20%, 1000 energy energy cost is reduced the more specialization you have (which should be explained in google docs)
or 10% -> 17% -> 20% -> 25% where 25% is the max bow speed
since these items are better, a demand will be created around them. Resource scarcity won't increase demand; while it might have a good initial impact, on the long run it'll prove ineffective as everyone will be running around on iron armor
and if you create annoying to acquire resources, this will make them rare. Thus, in times of necessity (war), resources will raise in demand and these items will be limited and more difficult to get, which will draw hoarders and they'll keep all these special resources, selling them at ludicrously high prices.
My entire propposition is on that google docs; everyone can do everything, but if you're better at something, you'll do it better.
And to fix the economy, I believe that it must have professions, but to adapt to the community, a both reduced and optional grind which doesn't makes you "stay an entire hour by the side of an anvil"
but if a profession plugin is created and a demand isn't created for these profession items, they will be completely pointless; which translates into PvP items.

And remember, you’re not obliged to grind if you want to roleplay, grinding is and has always been a choice (unless you want to be competitive).

Nexus isn’t coming back and there never was a true economy anyways. Everyone who pvps etc just had people in their own faction grind everything out. Prove me wrong.

58 minutes ago, argle-bargle said:

Nexus isn’t coming back and there never was a true economy anyways. Everyone who pvps etc just had people in their own faction grind everything out. Prove me wrong.

nexus created an economy because it had a demand for special items/resources and services that only certain people could perform, this gave value to money because you could use it for something relevant and actual but had also to perform something that added stuff into that process to get benefited out of it. Not everyone that pvped had others grind for them, some people that pvped also grinded their own stuff. I used to have a network of other fairly leveled workers and I transfered them money to craft things or repair (as a fee), but that’s obviously because I’ve experienced and participated of this first-handed.

Also what defines a true economy?

Nexus was really bad and unbalanced and when it was around the economy was just as bad if not worse than it is now. I’m not totally against the idea of a crafting plugin but being able to produce such high quality items that Nexus allowed for was ridiculous imo and was easily abused so small groups of people could abuse the system to dominate the server. If a crafting plugin returns there would need to a hard cap on % improvements at no more than around 10% or no % improvements at all. Improving your skill should only allow you to craft more items per day, not better ones and the process for improvement should not be a grind. Every skill you specialize into should be able to reach it’s max improvement rate the moment you decide to select it as your skill.

However, Nexus wasn’t bad when it was first introduced either but as time went on more and more powerful and over powered items were allowed to be crafted and eventually the server became akin to an OP Kit server in terms of it’s pvp with constant slugging and no skill or strategy. I have a feeling that if a crafting plugin was ever added again then it would be a slippery slope that would evenually lead to the same bloated and unbalancecd catastrophe that Nexus was at the time of it’s removal, so I can’t support a crafting system even remotely similar to Nexus.

good thesis paper has gotta define the topic and then make arguments- c+ please revise by defining why the econ is broken

Call me biased due to my own success, but I think the economy is fuckin’ fantastic right now.

I spend a good portion of my time on the server making RP items (both in the ‘Making them in RP

part’ and the actually describing part.) and selling them. When my character needs something made

or a material gathered, my character can standardly find someone to make said object, or gather said

material, and pay them fairly.  My character makes bronze tools, weapons, armor, jewlery, general

objects, and occassionally magical items. In the past 3 days my character has made 6,000 mina.

But heres the thing, my character makes things out of bronze and wood 90% of the time. Anyone

could start prolifically making things out of slayer steel, black ferrum, kardrasi steel -et-cetera, 

describe it properly, and throw me out of business. The economy right now, and almost always,

is ripe for people to start making good items, and make a butt-ton of mina off of them, just no-one

does.

6 minutes ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

Call me biased due to my own success, but I think the economy is fuckin’ fantastic right now.

I spend a good portion of my time on the server making RP items (both in the ‘Making them in RP

part’ and the actually describing part.) and selling them. When my character needs something made

or a material gathered, my character can standardly find someone to make said object, or gather said

material, and pay them fairly.  My character makes bronze tools, weapons, armor, jewlery, general

objects, and occassionally magical items. In the past 3 days my character has made 6,000 mina.

But heres the thing, my character makes things out of bronze and wood 90% of the time. Anyone

could start prolifically making things out of slayer steel, black ferrum, kardrasi steel -et-cetera, 

describe it properly, and throw me out of business. The economy right now, and almost always,

is ripe for people to start making good items, and make a butt-ton of mina off of them, just no-one

does.

But here’s the thing, probably nobody will. People want edgy RP items but very little people want to actually RP for them. People want cool swords and huge wars but dont wanna ‘grind’ for them, not realizing they could just go play a faction or duel server. 

I completely agree with you that things can work in their current state, just think its worth point out. 

1 minute ago, Tuarz said:

not realizing they could just go play a faction or duel server. 

Bro like just go play an RPG lmao, play a DnD campaign ffs like ur just ruining the server w/ ur views and ur hurting the PvP community like bro it’s really bad just play DnD w/ ur friends lmao.

1 minute ago, HortonHeardAWho said:

Bro like just go play an RPG lmao, play a DnD campaign ffs like ur just ruining the server w/ ur views and ur hurting the PvP community like bro it’s really bad just play DnD w/ ur friends lmao.

shut up commie

5 minutes ago, Tuarz said:

But here’s the thing, probably nobody will. People want edgy RP items but very little people want to actually RP for them. People want cool swords and huge wars but dont wanna ‘grind’ for them, not realizing they could just go play a faction or duel server. 

I completely agree with you that things can work in their current state, just think its worth point out. 

But heres the thing- one doesnt have to RP making them < – > I just choose to cause I think its better.

Any donator can literally just do /edit name “Black Ferrum Longsword” than /edit color Dark_grey and than write a description- and make 200 mina off that badboy easily. Even more if they modreq to get some swords stacked and rename and description that entire stack. Making cool stuff is easy as heck. Just so few do it, and even fewer RP it.

2 minutes ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

But heres the thing- one doesnt have to RP making them < – > I just choose to cause I think its better.

Any donator can literally just do /edit name “Black Ferrum Longsword” than /edit color Dark_grey and than write a description- and make 200 mina off that badboy easily. Even more if they modreq to get some swords stacked and rename and description that entire stack. Making cool stuff is easy as heck. Just so few do it, and even fewer RP it.

Fair. Just a matter of personal opinion. I’ve played on some pretty hardcore RP servers so maybe I just have a certain appreciation for items that have been actually developed and created in RP. I’d rather buy something from someone who took the time to emote it out or FRP the creation than someone who just /edit’ed it. And that would def be something I would look into before buying something ‘cool’.

In order to have an economy, you have to have trade. The largest part of the LOTC economy historically has been the arms trade. At its most fundamental stage, people who do not normally fight procure items so their protectors can fight. This includes arms and sustenance (food such as bread, beef, and pork). This is an economy.

If you want more international trade, you have to have things that people want in different places, accessible by only certain people. Supply and demand is the ultimate governor of economies, so I would disagree with your statement that “scarcity will not fix the economy” because, really, scarcity in of itself it the economy and any solution will revolve around it.

Instead of limiting everyone with Nexus, I propose that opening up item customability by players will create a stronger economy by virtue of initiative of imagination. Let the players make their own items and trade them as they see fit.

Another idea I just had would be to return the custom non-PvP items of Nexus to the game and have their ingredients be specific to biomes, similar to the alchemy plugin. This would actually create a trade if the players deemed such items valuable enough-- or would at least create regional diversity in items. Alcohol is the first to come to mind-- wine in the warmer climates and beer in the colder climates.

Additionally and summarily, I think it’s a mistake to find more ways to add to the arms trade through creating what amounts to technological gaps. If you want to add to LOTC PvP, I would support utility items. Alchemists last map could create gems like Smoke Whispers, which were easy to make and could be used by anyone.

Edited by von_Aesterwald

Maybe you should stick it out and stop logging on entirely. Nexus is gone and it should never come back.

5 hours ago, argle-bargle said:

Statement one is wrong; nexus created an economy. Statement two is half correct; why wouldn’t you have people in your faction grind gear while you aren’t PvPing and taking gear through force?