[Shelved][✓] The Ascended - The Tears of Aeriel [Rewrite]

Farryn

2 hours ago, Starfelt said:

Long text.

Clearly the possibilities within magic are limited, especially when you are trying to make a support/utility magic that has buffs and debuff, so naturally the strength-weakness was the first that came up. 

We are not capable of feeling the pain of others, merely take it away with the song of Aeriel, which has been a thing for plenty of years, and we were already able to do so with soulfire in the last iteration of the lore.

We have used floating crystals to decorate our builds for more than 2 years, so that's from where i believe Jallen took his inspiration for Tearstone Shards.

While i can see that there are similarities between both pieces of lore, i can ensure you that nothing was copied from it.

2 hours ago, pbuh said:

I am wondering if the Ascended are suddenly going to drop their aiding of Naztherak due to these covenant items?

Naztherak uses souls as fuel, so they are the opposite of what Aeriel represents and therefore aiding them is go against Aeriel's will, unless the purpose of that is help such individual to get rid of their magic, like we have done is past with other dark beings that were looking for redemption. However this is more and ic thing than lore related.

Jallentime ruined it and this is basically picking up the less shitty parts and putting it into one bundle of horrific, cringy stuff.

When I first joined the server my character always heard there was this secretive order so called ‘ascended’ that hunted the evil. Now you can just walk up to the globally known leaders and ask to be one.

And now you’re basically allowing them to hunt a mortal who’s commited a crime, since the only boundarie I see for killing mortals is of its in cold blood.

Just shelve it already, and completely revamp it, in every single way.

Edit: And remove all these kids who’s RP makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Edited by Brazilianski

I'd comment about all the good and bad stuff about this lore and offer a solution , but I'm a biased lt, aren't I, friendly ascended?

Unsure if I am biased or not regarding this. I’ll see to a curt response to this on Tuesday, with my opinion and any criticisms I may have or any lore that may be inaccurate in terms of representation, particularly for lore I am more familiar with myself.

2 minutes ago, The_Broken_God said:

I'd comment about all the good and bad stuff about this lore and offer a solution , but I'm a biased lt, aren't I, friendly ascended?

1 minute ago, Omolon said:

Unsure if I am biased or not regarding this. I’ll see to a curt response to this on Tuesday, with my opinion and any criticisms I may have or any lore that may be inaccurate in terms of representation, particularly for lore I am more familiar with myself.

Feel free to do so, any constructive criticism is welcomed o7.

The only thing I’ll bring up is how wordy and bureaucratic the tenets have become, but that’s not explicitly the fault of you guys. Remember I spent months trying to come up with a solution that was self-moderating and unbiased and I’ve recently come to the conclusion it’s simply not possible. Any magic inherently tied to a group and regulated by that group is going to see some degree of OOC corruption and holy magic has been and continues to be one of the worst offenders.

That’s all I have to say on the matter, it’s not my beast to tame anymore and I’m not going to show up like a ghost from the past and tell you how to run your show.

(Lowkey tho holy **** the amount of angry toddler screeching in this thread)

My opinion remains with that of others, the ascended have served their time, and their purpose as well. 

3 hours ago, The_Broken_God said:

Whether or not someone is biased, scrutiny is an ample part of a project. However, sitting on a high horse and coming off with a sarky comment and obvious insult doesn’t help your image, nor does it suggest you’re truly willing to offer a good critique.

But if you do want to contribute to some active suggestions and improvements, please detail them to us as we are definitely willing to listen.

2 hours ago, Jentos said:

My opinion remains with that of others, the ascended have served their time, and their purpose as well. 

Your argument is invalid if you can replace the subject of your argument with pretty much anything else. Purpose. How much magic has purpose that is better than ours? And how is it better? What purpose do you suppose this serves? The ascended are a community. Not a plot device that gets used up and yeeted away when it has "served it's time".

2 minutes ago, Demotheus said:

Your argument is invalid if you can replace the subject of your argument with pretty much anything else. Purpose. How much magic has purpose that is better than ours? And how is it better? What purpose do you suppose this serves? The ascended are a community. Not a plot device that gets used up and yeeted away when it has "served it's time".

No argument is “invalid” because you declare it as such. The Ascended being a plot device would be fun and interesting, if it ever occurred in a way that brought benefit to the majority of the server. Rather, a large number of the server find this group and magic intolerable due to the former leader of it. Hell, I was slashed out of interaction with it due to his and another’s falling out. Does that make me unhappy? Most definitely.

I personally believe this rewrite is far more interesting than Ascended magic once was, but I also think the Ascended are indeed a group that have ran their course and that’s enough. With as long a history the group has had on this server, with as little impact as it’s actually had to any long term story telling, it’s time to put it down and do something else. Keep in mind, this is my opinion on the vast majority of magics this server offers in general. Aside from like, the void, which I consider the basic and boring magic of any fantasy setting. Special and fun stuff that offer an additional layer of RP, deity/dark/whatever should be doing more than impacting an individual character.

I also stand by the opinion that less is more. Having to rewrite Fitermon’s initial 9,000,000,000 pages for Shade magic when I had it was stupid and frustrating. If I had to sit down and bang this out just to learn the magic, because my teacher was being lazy on an OOC level like most teachers are, you know I’d be EXTRA heated. I think with the full amount of stuff here, most new folks to the magic (if there are any, I’m entirely unsure since I don’t follow MAs and such) would be doomed to fail when those with TAs inevitably fall into stagnation and do nothing.

2 hours ago, Jentos said:

The Ascended may have served their time in regards to your view. Their goal was to be the counterpart of Iblees and Evil. Now they provide roleplay for people with a different approach, the recruiting process is quite exciting, their magic is exciting and it brings diversity which is good. There doesn’t need to be a “greater meaning” to things with everything, with that view then a lot of things could just be removed. If the lore is bad or perhaps the magic overpowered then yes, changes could be made but to simply raise your voice and say they “Served their time” offers nothing but negative feedback and not a rather productive opinion in whether or not this should exit. Only based on emotion.

6 hours ago, Brazilianski said:

Jallentime ruined it and this is basically picking up the less shitty parts and putting it into one bundle of horrific, cringy stuff.

When I first joined the server my character always heard there was this secretive order so called ‘ascended’ that hunted the evil. Now you can just walk up to the globally known leaders and ask to be one.

And now you’re basically allowing them to hunt a mortal who’s commited a crime, since the only boundarie I see for killing mortals is of its in cold blood.

Just shelve it already, and completely revamp it, in every single way.

Edit: And remove all these kids who’s RP makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Underlined section is worrying, I do believe that the Ascended could possibly take a few steps back, back when it was about a community working to protect men and women from evil. I am under the impression that this is no longer true and that defining evil for an Ascended has become a purely philosophical question based on persona and not whether the persona in question is evil.

alright but for real when did the writhing chaos section happen

anyone actually know?

34 minutes ago, Pess said:

Underlined section is worrying, I do believe that the Ascended could possibly take a few steps back, back when it was about a community working to protect men and women from evil. I am under the impression that this is no longer true and that defining evil for an Ascended has become a purely philosophical question based on persona and not whether the persona in question is evil.

The only case when Ascended can harm descendants is in self-defense or defense of others near them, defining evil became something harder with the passage of time, since none is purely evil anymore, but however, it is interesting to roleplay due to the different points of view of each character. (Also the LT asked for moving away from being focused on fighting dark arts)

2 minutes ago, Suxals said:

The only case when Ascended can harm descendants is in self-defense or defense of others near them, defining evil became something harder with the passage of time, since none is purely evil anymore, but however, it is interesting to roleplay due to the different points of view of each character.

Well, it would not be evil per action but more evil of soul. A perverted soul, Fjarriagua, Shade and so on, does that give clarity of my personal definition?

3 minutes ago, Suxals said:

(Also the LT asked for moving away from being focused on fighting dark arts)

I do find this odd, but surely an agenda behind the request.

5 minutes ago, Pess said:

Well, it would not be evil per action but more evil of soul. A perverted soul, Fjarriagua, Shade and so on, does that give clarity of my personal definition?

I do see your point now. With this rewrite, the fact that someone has a warped or corrupted soul wouldn't directly turn an individual into a target of an Ascended as long as they don't mess with souls and corrupt the souls of others, which the Ascended should try to avoid. However, there is nothing stopping us from killing them, as the tenets only limit us in regards to descendants.

Also i would like to point to this tenet:

4: Do not dare to assist in the wrongful corrupting of a mortal’s soul, as it defies the natural order of souls and condemns the mortal to further suffering in both this realm and the next. Do not stand idle in hesitation or fear, and do all you can to save the soul. Know this, however, for punishment shall be bestowed upon those who bear the clear intentions of permitting the soul being corrupted.

An Ascended must not allow a mortal soul to be corrupted by any form of darkened and unnatural magic that damns the soul to eternal suffering.

This applies to any form of magic that damns a soul to suffer within the Desert of the Damned, such as becoming undead, a shade, a frost witch, etc

By allowing this to happen with a clear understanding that such is corrupting a soul, the Ascended will be seen as an Accessory (a person who assists in the commission of the corruption but is not the one to do such corruption by their own hands) and will be disconnected for permitting such.

An Ascended will not be disconnected for failing to prevent a soul being corrupted if the Ascended truly did aim to stop the corruption but were killed or stopped. Failures should never result in punishment, only a lesson to be learnt to prevent the next corruption.