[Completed]LoTC's aging system

Leviantae

Just now, Sky said:

Two irl years is 104 weeks, where did you grab 114 from? I never said that you’ll be 100 years old, I said two years is 100 years in the game.

Mistype, but what I’m saying is that you cannot play your character when he’s 100 years old. If people don’t like frail old man rp, which I’m sure many don’t because it’s unexciting, it means you have to drop your character. If you start it from it being 20-30 y/o, that means you have less than a year before it reaches that sweet spot of 70, which begins a period of increased aging, or rather, the beginning of frail old man rp.

Just now, Killmatronix said:

Mistype, but what I’m saying is that you cannot play your character when he’s 100 years old. If people don’t like frail old man rp, which I’m sure many don’t because it’s unexciting, it means you have to drop your character. If you start it from it being 20-30 y/o, that means you have less than a year before it reaches that sweet spot of 70, which begins a period of increased aging, or rather, the beginning of frail old man rp.

Humans live till they are 150, which makes 70 middle-age not senile or frail.

past the age of about 70 or 80, a human's health starts to decline more and more, many only being a shell of their past selves at about the age of 100, if they manage to even grow that old.

-https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Humans#Aging

Say you join and make your human around 25 (the most common age is usually between 20-25 but lets say 25), that would mean that by the time they are 100 they would be this frail senile individual you are portraying – That is seventy-five weeks of play, which is basically a year and a half.

Just now, Sky said:

Humans live till they are 150, which makes 70 middle-age not senile or frail.

-https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Humans#Aging

Say you join and make your human around 25 (the most common age is usually between 20-25 but lets say 25), that would mean that by the time they are 100 they would be this frail senile individual you are portraying – That is seventy-five weeks of play, which is basically a year and a half.

They don’t age until they hit age 70-80. Then they begin to age rapidly.

This passage explains it nicely: “ Nonetheless, while humans can reach the age of 150 as far as we know, it rarely happens, since past the age of about 70 or 80, a human's health starts to decline more and more, many only being a shell of their past selves at about the age of 100, if they manage to even grow that old.”

They don’t age until they hit age 70-80. Then they begin to age rapidly.

This passage explains it nicely: “ Nonetheless, while humans can reach the age of 150 as far as we know, it rarely happens, since past the age of about 70 or 80, a human's health starts to decline more and more, many only being a shell of their past selves at about the age of 100, if they manage to even grow that old.”

You quoted exactly what I quoted you – I’m still not seeing the positive in changing the system back to two weeks equates to a year in-game . . .

1 minute ago, Sky said:

You quoted exactly what I quoted you – I’m still not seeing the positive in changing the system back to two weeks equates to a year in-game . . .

I quoted the quote from the page you linked, yes. It displays exactly what I’m talking about.

I quoted the quote from the page you linked, yes. It displays exactly what I’m talking about.

That the human age is up to 150 and after the age of 80 starts to age rapidly till they are 100 – Which if you start on the server as a 25-year-old, it takes 75 weeks to get to 100 which is roughly a year and a half of game-play? This would be different if LotC was fresh or hadn't changed this before, but the sheer fact that we have changed it four times in the past, people should just bite the bullet. Besides, the staff don't enforce ages ... So just do your own personal aging system, don't make it the ""official"" one?

1 minute ago, Sky said:

That the human age is up to 150 and after the age of 80 starts to age rapidly till they are 100 – Which if you start on the server as a 25-year-old, it takes 75 weeks to get to 100 which is roughly a year and a half of game-play? This would be different if LotC was fresh or hadn't changed this before, but the sheer fact that we have changed it four times in the past, people should just bite the bullet. Besides, the staff don't enforce ages ... So just do your own personal aging system, don't make it the ""official"" one?

It takes 45 years from age 25 to reach 70s, when the aging process begins, where you’re supposed to start rping old age. That’s less than a year, and it’s a big issue only humans have. You can rp older age with any other race without being forced into it. And if it’s already allowed to set your own aging system, why not change the lore already? Who does it hurt?

8 minutes ago, Killmatronix said:

It takes 45 years from age 25 to reach 70s, when the aging process begins, where you’re supposed to start rping old age. That’s less than a year, and it’s a big issue only humans have. You can rp older age with any other race without being forced into it. And if it’s already allowed to set your own aging system, why not change the lore already? Who does it hurt?

If you don’t want to role-play an ageing character then don’t play a human, you don’t get to have everything you’re way – Sorry.

1 minute ago, Sky said:

If you don’t want to role-play an ageing character then don’t play a human, you don’t get to have everything you’re way – Sorry.

How is that a human characteristic? Every other race has the ability to choose what they rp, old or not, at whatever age they choose to. The curses are a joke and the only one that actually limits anything is the human one. How do the other curses affect other races? In no way whatsoever, that’s how.

3 minutes ago, Killmatronix said:

How is that a human characteristic? Every other race has the ability to choose what they rp, old or not, at whatever age they choose to. The curses are a joke and the only one that actually limits anything is the human one. How do the other curses affect other races? In no way whatsoever, that’s how.

Then your issue has nothing to do with the aging but the curses zzz

7 minutes ago, Sky said:

Then your issue has nothing to do with the aging but the curses zzz

Aging is an issue in itself, despite being a part of the curse. I’ve said my problems with it already.

My stance on this has always been the same, i only take into account the opinions who WANT to age their characters.

A lot of people say “2 weeks/ year is perfect”,  but these are mostly people who don’t like aging in the first place. So for them I could make it 1year/1year and it would make them happiest.  They’re going to stay perpetually 25 because that’s what they want. And that’s fine with me tbh, but then I don’t have to take their opinion into account beyond the fact that we leave them the option to set their age manually.

But there is people who actually like progressing a character through old age, and in general they prefer 1 week /year. This is people who like dynastic RP,  heritage, succession crises and the like. It gives a far more dynamic quality to the RP because things move at a decent enough speed to remain interesting month after month.

Just going to give you an example as to why aging is bullshit and should be lower. I started roleplaying my persona when she was 13, got into finals, only been able to RP for like an hour a day during which I’d just cross between empty cities – then boom, my persona’s 19, missed all that teenagehood RP in just a few weeks.
Also the point wasn’t that. The point is that players and staff members still slow down their persona’s aging manually, so if they do that, why doesn’t it get changed to a default slower aging system? 

10 hours ago, Sky said:

No, I refuse to go through a fifth change of how the years work goddammit. We already have characters whose ages are so messed up cause years went from 2 weeks to 3 weeks to 2 weeks to 1 week - Stick with the single week and just get used to it, 100 years is 2 years and that's not fast in the least. 

Here I am not only talking about your persona’s old age, I’m talking about missing out on important periods of their lives because they are too short for LoTC’s actual state. As an European, I spend only around one and a half to two hours daily RPing, the rest I spend doing nothing because people either aren’t online, RP is spread among cities that are 1k blocks away from eachother, or, simply put, I don’t have time to RP.
So, as most people say here, should I not play a human, and play a long living elf that gets thrown into the category of edgies and is excluded from most RP? Not to mention that, as I stated above, RP is already lacking on LoTC, and you barely spend time roleplaying. Most of the time you just have to come up with ideas to explain what your persona has been doing in the past IC month since you last RPed with that person.
Another thing would be – imagine a wedding that would take up to a few hours OOC, wouldn’t that make it a few weeks IC? Like, let’s be honest. And on top of that, after the wedding you log off cause it’s too late, cause you’re a plebian European, most of your IC friends are OOC Americans and you have school next day. You meet one of those people that were at the wedding with you and you start discussing of it as if it were yesterday IC, but in fact there’s been almost a month.
I’m not saying that LoTC time passage should be as slow as real life, but at the moment it’s way too fast. It implies that you use your time spent on LoTC with 100% efficiency, as in, no time spent wandering between empty cities or time spent waiting for people to get on the server.

1 hour ago, Sporadic said:

My stance on this has always been the same, i only take into account the opinions who WANT to age their characters.

A lot of people say “2 weeks/ year is perfect”,  but these are mostly people who don’t like aging in the first place. So for them I could make it 1year/1year and it would make them happiest.  They’re going to stay perpetually 25 because that’s what they want. And that’s fine with me tbh, but then I don’t have to take their opinion into account beyond the fact that we leave them the option to set their age manually.

But there is people who actually like progressing a character through old age, and in general they prefer 1 week /year. This is people who like dynastic RP,  heritage, succession crises and the like. It gives a far more dynamic quality to the RP because things move at a decent enough speed to remain interesting month after month.

Sorry to be spamming instead of making a single post, but it’s really uncomfortable for me to keep track of my ideas if I keep switching from one’s reply to another. Here I just want to say that, if you are fine, if most people age their persona differently,  why not have a default aging system? Or why doesn’t the staff allow the players to age their persona’s a bit slower? Cause I’ve asked a few staff members if it is against the rules to slow down your persona’s aging, and they say it is even though I am 100% sure they have done it themselves at some point. Why does every staff member say it is against the rules, and why do most people act like “Well just don’t show your age do whatever you want.”. It’s there a server system or an anarchy when it comes to persona aging? I’m just not too sure at this point, and I wouldn’t like to be banned because I broke some rule when some staff members say it is against the rules, some do it themselves, some say it is fine.

The only ones affected by the year system changing are humans. Unlike other races’ curses that are a bit irrelevant from time to time, Humans have the unique distinction of being able to play elderly characters more often and without just starting old and having nothing to say for your character’s history. I wouldn’t say aging needs to be any faster (unless someone has it out for humans I guess) but I would say racial curses in general could stand to be a tad more relevant.