Suxals

Thoughts regarding the LT Direction for 7.0

Okay so... i read @FlamboyantNewEra 's announcement and thought about comment my thoughts about it, however since the post was locked i will do it here instead, i invite you all to express what you think of it and discuss the points that i bring up.

LT Direction 2019

So lets begin

My mindset for lore is that lore should not exist simply to exist and/or shouldn’t exist simply to give a small group something. All playable or interactable lore should have something for the majority. A playable creature should be built in a way where it grants other players cool and interesting encounters. Magics should also bring things to the table in a similar manner.

I don't agree, whether or not magics provide something to the majority of the community isn't strictly related to the lore itself but to the rp that is created with it, you can write lore for the best creature that Lotc ever had, but if only 5 players play it and they do it secretly it won't provide roleplay to the majority, only for those 5 players, while something as basic as a fae creature could get a community based around them and perhaps even a settlement of their own, creating unique roleplay for the entire server.

So in my opinion the playerbases and what they do with their characters is more important than the lore itself as long as it provides them something unique around what they can build a good story. However the LT shouldn't punish players if they wish to be secretive with their magics, sometimes that is just a consequence of roleplay or they prefer that kind of characters.

No pure combat magics should exist that do not also have an aspect to it that creates RP.

Agreed, however combat is a really good way of creating roleplay, so it shouldn't be completely removed.

Aesthetic pets are fine to an extent, but we don’t need 30 different kinds if they aren’t bringing something else to the table. They should all have some kind of playability outside of their aesthetic nature.

Can't agree on this, aesthetics are really nice and creatures shouldn't be something to harvest magical materials/loot, that's actually something bad that promotes people to do events with a mmorpg mentality, only caring about what they can get instead of enjoying of the rp. And actually i believe that there aren't enough creatures for an universe like Lotc’s, but some creatures shouldn't be able to be acquired through events anymore since they were meant specifically for former maps.

The techlock needs clarifying. This should have been done the moment that the techlock was conceived by whoever came up with it. Instead, we’ve spent a handful of years with a vague notion of what isn’t allowed which leads to a lot of arguments on what is allowed if that thing does not blatantly break the techlock.

The first step here is going to be clarifying what technology does exist on LotC. This’ll be done in different chunks. For example, we’ll clarify what is currently possible in terms of medicine, medical practices, tools, et cetera. A number of people seem to think we have modern day tools or surgery practices with no real risk for infection, which might be true if you’re using magic, but a regular surgery would have plenty of risk if you’re not careful.

I want to say that this could be given a priority, but that isn’t possible. There is plenty of lore that is implemented that is causing issues, which we need to focus on first before we can focus on technology and improving things. This isn’t to say it won’t be worked on, but the rate at which it is won’t be expedited. I intend to have this started around March, once the January/February projects are completed (described at the bottom).

That's something that really needs to be addressed, once the tech that we have is defined people will know what they can or can't do. A bit more of tech could be interesting, however too much of anything is bad.

As for medicine… i think people should be able to roleplay more or less modern medicine, not 21th century one, but at least know how to treat patients without remove their teeth trying to cure their madness… especially since heal with things like alchemy is fairly easy and in the most of the cases it only requires to drink a potion.

Playable Creatures

As I mentioned in my previous announcements, we’re currently developing a creature tier list to help organize the creatures. More powerful creatures will be placed in the higher tiers, but with that will come strict requirements. In order to be a higher tier creature, it must be thoroughly fleshed out in any potential way that can be seen in RP. More information will be included in the creature tier thread when it is ready. I have a preliminary draft done, but it still needs fleshing out by the LT.

We will also be doing a final sweep through creatures to patch some of the remaining issues (e.g. fixing the Zar’ei situation), but for the most part we are finished assigning rewrites.

Sounds good, will there be limits on the amount of people playing the high tier creatures?

Lore Foundations + Magic

I want to finish the major foundation rewrites in the next few months. My goal is to have feedback chats for the void and deity rework up by the end of February. Once that is done, we will start discussions on how to rework the magics that fall under the two categories.

The current mindset of the administration is that we want to cut down on the amount of magics we have and set up a solid core group of magics. This doesn’t mean we’ll axe a majority of the magics, but I will be looking to consolidate a number of them. How this will be done will be determined during our talks with the community. I intend to have some of the LT draft up a few methods of doing so (e.g. creating schools of magic and merging magics together that match thematically while altering them to match the newly made schools or merging magics together that make sense to merge and leaving it at that).

We will still be moving forward with the mindset of limiting the combat potential in magic (e.g. removing the large spells that can take out crowds) while buffing the non-combat potential in order to encourage creativity. This does not mean that combat magics will be rendered useless, but there will no longer be one man armies or one shot magics allowed.

I believe the most interesting part of Lotc is the diversity of magics and creatures, so i can't do nothing but disagree with the idea of the removal of a big chunk of them, however if what you are looking is to improve them then i'm fine with it.

I would like to hear more about the merging and different schools of magics, but at first sight it makes me thing that it could lead to simplify stuff too much and make it less interesting, but that's just based on what my mind believes it could be.

p.s. Yes I’m aware the lore section of the forum is messy at the moment, it’ll be cleaned up once the librarians finish some stuff. In addition, the magic app section is undergoing some organization at the moment to help people find CAs vs MAs easier, as some folks have complained about the two being mixed before.

Lovely. But also wouldn't be better to put lore submissions, lore with pending fixes and lore in activity trial under the lore subforum? Rn all of them are under the application forum and just makes it more messy and hard to navigate through them.

(will fix formatting later, on my phone rn)

9 hours ago, Suxals said:

especially since heal with things like alchemy is fairly easy and in the most of the cases it only requires to drink a potion

Here’s my only issue boss, if i splash a potion on a wound every time i see it i have no understanding of that wound nor how it works in an rp sense. You’re right all we typically do its throw potions on things or go have holy mage #3456765 go toss us a fast heal. all this has done is actually put out medical rp further behind than what it should be because there is no drive to find these things out when all i need to know is mix X Y Z and get greater healing potion lawl. The time scale on lotc isn't a justifiable “well yah know they had full chest cavity searches in this year” because unlike the real world unless you do conjuration there is little to no reason for a person to open and study the body. I will say before someone gets all snowflake on me yeah someone im sure outhere does that, but its not common and you’re work would be far behind the real world which was using entire nations histories and international communications on the medical field to allow for knowledge to grow. I know this next line will be a little hypocritical, however, hand washing for sicknesses was not even really used till the middle 1800’s and this is with hundreds of years of people getting sick from injuries. However we have not had this motivation and yet our medics know the sterilize everything and other stuff? I think not boss man and I say this as someone who does medical rp. We have a lot of **** that shouldn’t be as evolved simply because the server has taken the magical route to solve it not the trial and error mistakes way of irl to push it.

18 hours ago, Suxals said:

I don't agree, whether or not magics provide something to the majority of the community isn't strictly related to the lore itself but to the rp that is created with it, you can write lore for the best creature that Lotc ever had, but if only 5 players play it and they do it secretly it won't provide roleplay to the majority, only for those 5 players, while something as basic as a fae creature could get a community based around them and perhaps even a settlement of their own, creating unique roleplay for the entire server.

So in my opinion the playerbases and what they do with their characters is more important than the lore itself as long as it provides them something unique around what they can build a good story. However the LT shouldn't punish players if they wish to be secretive with their magics, sometimes that is just a consequence of roleplay or they prefer that kind of characters.

THANK YOU. I have only seen 1 Striga ever. And he only went Striga form when we attacked him, which barely provided any rp to us because it was kinda stupid and in the end we just pvp’ed. Fae are a lot better in terms of interaction, especially the Sprites. Can’t understand a word they’re saying and that’s kinda nice

20 hours ago, Suxals said:

As for medicine… i think people should be able to roleplay more or less modern medicine, not 21th century one, but at least know how to treat patients without remove their teeth trying to cure their madness… especially since heal with things like alchemy is fairly easy and in the most of the cases it only requires to drink a potion.

No. In order to retain a more or less “historical” fantasy setting, no medicinal practices after 1880 should be used. Of course, because this is a fantasy setting, there is always going to need to be adjustments (for example, the first syringe used for an intravenous injection was invented in 1853, but injections/needles should not be a thing that exists on LotC.)

I’m not promoting Elizabethan era healing where they believed that the four humours were responsible for every physical affliction, but nor am I suggesting we skip straight to the 20th century and be able to perform complex internal surgery.

Because of the long lifespan of elves, and the fact that wood elves/druids in particular have an affinity for healing, it makes sense that throughout their centuries of life they would have discovered what infection is (and therefore done things to counteract it such as washing their hands and using antibacterial herbs such as thyme). That knowledge likely would have been passed on to the other races. The tools of the trade across most races would be the simple scalpel, needle and thread, scissors, bone saw, bandages— all of which have been used as early as Egyptian times. Medicine in the Roman Empire was incredibly advanced for the time period, before mysteriously backtracking through the Dark Ages, and then by the late 19th century death-by-infection rates had dropped to 15% because of increased cleanliness in surgery.

Humans, for their short lives, would likely be responsible for the advancement of certain medicinal tools through primeval forays into the realms of scientia. A simple rubber and glass pipette (invented by Louis Pasteur in the 19th century) would have likely come from human ingenuity; same with forceps.

Where orcish/elven healing differs from dwarven/human healing is that the former would likely use more natural practices such as lamb’s ear leaf instead of cloth bandages, and a reliance on herbal medicines. The latter, on the other hand, would likely use alcohol as a means of sterilisation, as well as cloth bandages and tinctures instead of tonics. And none of the races, in the current age of LotC, should be able to perform internal surgery on organs.

TLDR: Healing on LotC should hover in a time where knowledge of infection and basic mundane healing practices is common, but where advanced internal surgery does not exist. Removing an arrow from a wound should be the extent of any “surgery”.

PS: Alchemical potions? Not in my premium mineman roleplay

On 12/30/2018 at 9:54 PM, Suxals said:

in the most of the cases it only requires to drink a potion.

I think this should be changed. That and magical healing where all it takes is a few minutes of glowy hands seriously gets in the way of injuries meaning anything in roleplay.

For the situation of magics and creatures, I believe of creating a mash would rather suit or creating different classes of magic. Such as spells that rather fit the class of Supporting / Healers / Necromancers / Witches / Warlocks / Druids. You could repeat types of magics, giving certain race buffs in the class or perhaps allowing them to be natural starters in the art. Just in idea 

13 hours ago, Slothtastic said:

THANK YOU. I have only seen 1 Striga ever. And he only went Striga form when we attacked him, which barely provided any rp to us because it was kinda stupid and in the end we just pvp’ed. Fae are a lot better in terms of interaction, especially the Sprites. Can’t understand a word they’re saying and that’s kinda nice

same tbh i play a striga to ensure that every person knows it and offer sexual favors in exchange for blood.

12 hours ago, Toffee said:

injections/needles should not be a thing that exists on LotC.

ohDKCIO.jpg

13 hours ago, Toffee said:

No. In order to retain a more or less “historical” fantasy setting, no medicinal practices after 1880 should be used. Of course, because this is a fantasy setting, there is always going to need to be adjustments (for example, the first syringe used for an intravenous injection was invented in 1853, but injections/needles should not be a thing that exists on LotC.)

I’m not promoting Elizabethan era healing where they believed that the four humours were responsible for every physical affliction, but nor am I suggesting we skip straight to the 20th century and be able to perform complex internal surgery.

Because of the long lifespan of elves, and the fact that wood elves/druids in particular have an affinity for healing, it makes sense that throughout their centuries of life they would have discovered what infection is (and therefore done things to counteract it such as washing their hands and using antibacterial herbs such as thyme). That knowledge likely would have been passed on to the other races. The tools of the trade across most races would be the simple scalpel, needle and thread, scissors, bone saw, bandages— all of which have been used as early as Egyptian times. Medicine in the Roman Empire was incredibly advanced for the time period, before mysteriously backtracking through the Dark Ages, and then by the late 19th century death-by-infection rates had dropped to 15% because of increased cleanliness in surgery.

Humans, for their short lives, would likely be responsible for the advancement of certain medicinal tools through primeval forays into the realms of scientia. A simple rubber and glass pipette (invented by Louis Pasteur in the 19th century) would have likely come from human ingenuity; same with forceps.

Where orcish/elven healing differs from dwarven/human healing is that the former would likely use more natural practices such as lamb’s ear leaf instead of cloth bandages, and a reliance on herbal medicines. The latter, on the other hand, would likely use alcohol as a means of sterilisation, as well as cloth bandages and tinctures instead of tonics. And none of the races, in the current age of LotC, should be able to perform internal surgery on organs.

TLDR: Healing on LotC should hover in a time where knowledge of infection and basic mundane healing practices is common, but where advanced internal surgery does not exist. Removing an arrow from a wound should be the extent of any “surgery”.

PS: Alchemical potions? Not in my premium mineman roleplay

I agree completely. Medicinal roleplay should be enforced in such a way that you have to put the effort to the extremity that this sort of roleplay provides, not to suit your desires to be indolent (which is relevant for almost every single LoTCer). Put effort in, learn the facts, and use what would make sense, not what would be easiest. Your average shmuck should not be able to have skill in anything further than mediocre first aid. Enforcing Toffee’s ideals as described above would lead to your average shmuck having to also put effort into locating people who are able to effectively and successfully roleplay this way, if they cannot be bothered to put the effort in – not everyone should be able to know, otherwise we can all say we have a General Practicioners’ license and get away with it by just being lazy and using 21st Century medicinal techniques that are common practice.

4 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

same tbh i play a striga to ensure that every person knows it and offer sexual favors in exchange for blood.

Striga ain’t exactly spreading out rp if they’re never doing anything and is instead just a combat buff for the player 

9 minutes ago, Slothtastic said:

Striga ain’t exactly spreading out rp if they’re never doing anything and is instead just a combat buff for the player 

They’re as much of a combat buff to a player, that mental illness is an intelligence buff to a player... zzz