xxx

give orcs and halflings land next map

should orcs and halflings receive land next map  

77 members have voted

1. 1. should orcs and halflings receive land next map

• yes
    • no

9 minutes ago, ImperialTortoise said:

Those arguments are illegitimate and can apply to literally everybody, should we give everyone and their mother a tile because they MIGHT become more populous and so they can enjoy themselves? No! Earn it like everyone else, the orcs are a different matter because they lost their tile because of admins, however they got their tile back and lost it again anyway. Prove activity and earn it back, stop trying to act as if having a tile will fix all your problems, it won’t.

Allow me to list the things that will ‘fix our problems’:

- Being allowed a spot of land on the next map 

- Being given back the green pillar we had for years until it was illegitimately taken off of us so we can support more players

- Being allowed a fast travel, if and when fast travel is re-implemented

- Halflings being a selectable race when a new player makes a persona (currently listed under ‘Other’ and ‘Human subraces’)

Under no circumstances do I believe the following will help the Orcs or the Halflings:

- Having no settlement

- If they do have a settlement, it being so far away and unconnected to roads that it is essentially not a part of the map anyway

- Having to spam red soul pillars everywhere which cost real life money in order to accept and support new players

- Being banned from having a fast travel

Your argument being ‘earn it’ is interesting. Should people have to ‘earn’ what they already had before it was wrongly taken away? Should our whole purpose on this server be to ‘earn’ the ability to have more fun? Your view of people on the server seems to be that we’re lab rats jumping through hoops for the chance to be given a nibble of a treat. We are here for fun, not to ‘earn’ basic mechanical rights – the most ironic thing being that Orcs and Halflings having these rights is in the entire servers best interests!

Edited by Hobbs_Burrows

2 minutes ago, Hobbs_Burrows said:

Your argument being ‘earn it’ is interesting. Should people have to ‘earn’ what they already had before it was wrongly taken away? Should our whole purpose on this server be to ‘earn’ the ability to have more fun? Your view of people on the server seems to be that we’re lab rats jumping through hoops for the chance to be given a nibble of a treat. We are here for fun, not to ‘earn’ basic mechanical rights – the most ironic thing being that Orcs and Halflings having these rights is in the entire servers best interests!

It was taken away 3 years ago, stop clinging to this and trying to pin your inactivity on it. The orcs have a fair enough argument, you however do not. You’ve had land in various different locations throughout the maps since your land was taken away but remained partially inactive. You are a group of players just like everybody else. Just because you’re a smaller race, doesn’t mean you should be given special treatment. Should the kha be given a tile next map? Should the Hou-Zi? Should all the other races or subraces who aren’t getting a tile next map, get one? The arguments you presented would apply to all, if you’re going to apply them to yourself, only fair you should apply them to everybody. Get land under a nation and get activity back like every single other group on this server has to do. Your argument that you’re not getting pre-made areas, soulstone pillars or fast travel being the cause of your inactivity is false, because there have been various settlements which had neither and have thrived. You have to EARN it back like EVERYBODY else on this entire server has to do, and some groups have done. Also those nations who have got a tile next map paid a lot of minas, 40k, I believe Adria paid 202k mina for their tile, for fairness, you should have to do the same and not get this shoved aside for special treatment.

1 minute ago, ImperialTortoise said:

It was taken away 3 years ago, stop clinging to this and trying to pin your inactivity on it. The orcs have a fair enough argument, you however do not. You’ve had land in various different locations throughout the maps since your land was taken away but remained partially inactive. You are a group of players just like everybody else. Just because you’re a smaller race, doesn’t mean you should be given special treatment. Should the kha be given a tile next map? Should the Hou-Zi? Should all the other races or subraces who aren’t getting a tile next map, get one? The arguments you presented would apply to all, if you’re going to apply them to yourself, only fair you should apply them to everybody. Get land under a nation and get activity back like every single other group on this server has to do. Your argument that you’re not getting pre-made areas, soulstone pillars or fast travel being the cause of your inactivity is false, because there have been various settlements which had neither and have thrived. You have to EARN it back like EVERYBODY else on this entire server has to do, and some groups have done. Also those nations who have got a tile next map paid a lot of minas, 40k, I believe Adria paid 202k mina for their tile, for fairness, you should have to do the same and not get this shoved aside for special treatment.

We would pay, we have the money. The point you’re missing is that Halflings know what 3 years of suffering does to a community, and we only bounced back in this map. Halflings are using their experiences to say what a disaster it would be for Orcs to be given the same treatment. That is it. 

My personal, supplementary point is that main server races should always have a place in the future of LOTC. That means a spot on the next map. There is no good reason not to do so. 

You say ‘earn it’ – I think 7 and a half years of amazing, creative, and brilliant dedication and commitment to making the server what it is today is enough to not be treated in such a destructive way.

Whenever halflings try to abandon their culture in order to be more broad in their roleplay and recruit new halflings, all of the veteran halflings feel like the halflings aren’t halflings anymore and leave. Whenever halflings stay with all of their cultures and try to recruit within those cultural beliefs, they only manage to get a handful of people here and there. We’re a product of older times, back when the overall character of LoTC was different than what it is now, and we haven’t adjusted to these newer times because our older traditions are what hold us together as a race.

We’re a niche race that only appeals to certain types of people, and whenever we try to break that all up in order to recruit more players we explode into a million pieces when all the veteran players who hold everything together leave. Thus, we’re a slow moving race that gains activity slowly as players are either disillusioned with the rest of the server and join the halflings for peace and quiet or are recruited into the server and have a fairly halfling-like set of roleplay tastes, and we lose activity slowly as players get worn out and leave or have to head off to college or work or something.

The Lord of the Craft roleplaying server is just too small for there to be enough halfling-y people to create a village/shire area that has more than 5 or so people online at peak times. Thus we’re destined to be a bit more of an afterthought on the server unless we’re willing to gamble everything and fundamentally change who we are and risk all of our players leaving in disgust, or unless a new Lord of the Rings movie comes out that shows a lot of happy scenes in the shire (thus making more people want to recreate such things in LoTC, since LoTC’s races are always affected by how often they are portrayed in media). Sadly, there probably won’t be any movies with a load of Hobbits in it coming out anytime soon, and neither will there be a fundamental change in the overall character of the server or of the halflings unless we suddenly get very bold and brave (a thoroughly un-halfling-like attitude if you ask me).

As for the Hallings, whether or not halflings “deserve” land is up to you. I’m here to roleplay in whatever land the halflings end up in, not to teach you my ideas of morality and justice in a minecraft roleplaying server. While I personally would like to have a fairly decent village to hold some festivals in, I guess at the end of the day I could just hold a festival in the middle of a grassy field and have everyone pretend that there’s actually a village there. It would be no different than what we all do with our imagination to make a blocky landscape appear smooth, just taken a bit further.

As for the Orcs, it would be helpful for them to get a region given to them for free IMO. They’re one of the Main 4 races of LoTC who’ve been around since the very beginning. Although you could have a very long debate as to the merits of that, at the end of the day you have to admit that it would probably be nice to keep the Orcs around in LoTC so long as they fix some issues with their community, depending on what your definition of “nice” is.

To quote @Aythyinae , a High Elf GM who has a halfling as an alt character, who was speaking in the Halfling Discord just recently

unknown.png

So I propose we drop the nasty word of “deserve” out of our dictionary when it comes to who gets what. The obvious answer is that whatever makes the smaller groups most active should be applied to the smaller groups, and what makes the larger groups most active should be applied to the larger groups. Merely arguing over who “deserves” this or that leads to nothing but dead ends because at the end of the day we all have different views on what is right and wrong in this Minecraft Roleplaying Server.

12 minutes ago, Hobbs_Burrows said:

We would pay, we have the money. The point you’re missing is that Halflings know what 3 years of suffering does to a community, and we only bounced back in this map. Halflings are using their experiences to say what a disaster it would be for Orcs to be given the same treatment. That is it. 

My personal, supplementary point is that main server races should always have a place in the future of LOTC. That means a spot on the next map. There is no good reason not to do so. 

You say ‘earn it’ – I think 7 and a half years of amazing, creative, and brilliant dedication and commitment to making the server what it is today is enough to not be treated in such a destructive way.

Dalek, stop whining about everything all the time, you’re not helping. I like you and all, but you sometimes get a bit too far into your rants, and you’re not really convincing anyone regardless.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

I’ve honestly not seen an active halfling settlement since the one that was quite literally built into the Cloud Temple

The Halflings has been given plots for years cause they are a race that is on the server and should have a plot for the Halflings it’s a community for Halflings same to which of what the humans, dwarves, elves, and orcs have. This shouldn’t even be an argument about giving the halflings and orc nations a plot of land to do their roleplay.

#JustGiveOrcs&HalflingsPlots

If you want a tile get the activity and show for it. The Orcs got theirs removed by staff shillery, halflings are just inactive. 

1 minute ago, Taketheshot said:

If you want a tile get the activity and show for it. The Orcs got theirs removed by staff shillery, halflings are just inactive. 

Halflings are still a community and a race on LoTC that shouldn’t be looked over though.

Just now, Legoboy7984 said:

Halflings are still a community and a race on LoTC that shouldn’t be looked over though.

If they can prove they are still a community and are still active give them a tile, if not then they arent really a community are they. 

2 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

If they can prove they are still a community and are still active give them a tile, if not then they arent really a community are they. 

A few weeks ago I saw 7 halflings walk inside Markev while they were doing the Knox march thing. They do have people.

I vote yes, for the orcs.

I voted no.

Tl;dr of what I'll be typing later in Pond's thread:

Orcs deserve either a large charter plot with monitored activity for potential nation status, OR nation status immediately.

Halfings however are a different story. They are not apart of the core 'descendant' races / the big 4 / whatever (elves, orcs, humans, dwarves). They should only receive a plot or handouts when it is justified or earned. What stops someone from replacing 'halflings' in this context with 'Adunians / half elves' or 'kharajyr', 'hou-zi', etc.

Orcs and halflings are extremely different cases here. Stop coupling them in this fiasco.

1 hour ago, Hobbs_Burrows said:

-snip-

mate, halflings haven’t been active since ever. ‘Losing a village’ in 2015 did not scum you over and you bringing that up thinking that you deserve a plot because of the ‘improper’ eviction of your village from 4 years ago is such a dumb argument. Halflings have always been either active for a short time or inactive for months. 

16 minutes ago, Legoboy7984 said:

A few weeks ago I saw 7 halflings walk inside Markev while they were doing the Knox march thing. They do have people.

I saw about 8 holmites a little while ago to, lets give them land because i saw them