should orcs and halflings receive land next map  

77 members have voted

1. 1. should orcs and halflings receive land next map

• yes
    • no

45 minutes ago, Jaeden said:

I voted no.

Tl;dr of what I'll be typing later in Pond's thread:

Orcs deserve either a large charter plot with monitored activity for potential nation status, OR nation status immediately.

Halfings however are a different story. They are not apart of the core 'descendant' races / the big 4 / whatever (elves, orcs, humans, dwarves). They should only receive a plot or handouts when it is justified or earned. What stops someone from replacing 'halflings' in this context with 'Adunians / half elves' or 'kharajyr', 'hou-zi', etc.

Orcs and halflings are extremely different cases here. Stop coupling them in this fiasco.

As I’ve said earlier, the staff should do whatever makes smaller groups most active for smaller groups and whatever makes larger groups more active for larger groups. If giving some community land makes them more active without harming anyone, give it to them. If not giving certain groups land makes them more active without harming anyone, don’t give land to them. If putting X and Y people next to each other makes them more active while both parties are OK with it, put them next to each other, etc.

Everyone seems to think that this is some kind of Zero-Sum Game where having X group get a region somewhere automatically hurts the activity of group Y even if the sorts of people who’d play in group X are completely different from the sorts of people playing in group Y. For example, a group of slice-of-life RPers would not have their activity be affected by whether or not a group of PvPers gets land, since the sorts of people who’d play in a PvP centric group are different from those who’d play in a slice-of-life RP group.

Knowing this, the most logical way to dish out settlements in a new map is simply to ask every group and community that wishes to continue in the next map what they think would make them most active/happy in the next map (location, who they’d be close to, how much land they think they need, etc). If said group’s desires do not get in the way of any other group’s desires, then let them have their wish. If what two groups desire are in inherent conflict with each other, let them work out a compromise. If a group’s desires seem to be a bit demanding, unrealistic, rigid, or dishonest, the staff should try and talk them into something more humble, since they have the final say in the matter after all. By looking at how similar arrangements have worked in the past activity wise and by taking into account the desires of every group, the staff should be able to dish out regions in a manner that doesn’t make anyone feel terrible.

As for Centralization, groups that are compatible OOCly and ICly could be put very close to each other (or even in the same settlement, for peak centralization), and groups that share similar values, customs, and types of RP can be put close to each other as well.

So unless you can prove that other people’s activity would go down if the last 3 Adunians get a small region to make a hamlet in, your point is not of my personal concern. It’s not about who “deserves” to get land at the beginning of a new map, but rather what works best for each individual group being balanced against what works best for LoTC as a whole.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

All races that are able to be applied for should be permitted at least a 50x50 plot to function on, based on activity they ought to be able to grow that plot. No need to overthink this.

3 hours ago, Sky said:

Charter plots, sure, but no one deserves nation plots without proving their activity.

So yeah, give them both free charter plots, who cares.

Though I am told orcs are active.

(Read ‘Kids’ as ‘Nation Plot’)

Orcs are active. Just today we had RP at homebase, round 7 folks from what I remember, some folks fought for Snagagoth and then after that to celebrate we went out and bandited the roads. Which we then stopped because we got guerilla’d by some darkies. @Unwillingly

Activity isnt tracked by gms.

Tracked by a plugin that hits every region every 15 mins

orcs and halflings are two playable races, and so they deserve a tile even if they’re deemed “inactive” or what have you. every race that can be played without a ca needs to definitely have land every map to avoid new player confusion.

30 minutes ago, joey calabreeni said:

No.

it pains me to hear this

Literally, why are we trying to prop up races with a welfare system for tiles?  This entire map has been dominated by free build, nations have formed and fallen, grown and stagnated organically and without needing any oversight or welfare from the staff team.  Complain what you will about freebuild, that is a pro in my book.  

I’m not going to argue that those races weren’t fucked over, but the point remains that artificially giving out free tiles because you are x snowflake race is boneheaded.  Groups should just die out, there is no reason why places like Fenn or wherever else have you with -2 activity at the end of the day should have a free plot of land.   If you couldn’t make Halfling roleplay work with freebuild, how can you make it work with a tile?  For Orc roleplay, if you couldn’t recover your playerbase (which had already fractured and been in disarray since PvP goons split their roleplay community up and alienated old and new players), then why would you be entitled to a freebie slot of land?

I see one thing happening from giving out “reparation” style land plots: 2 more Fenn’s.

I feel like measuring things on activity alone is a little flawed. Places and cultures can be culturally significant while still having a relatively insignificant population.

We’ve had a lot of maps on this server thus far and one constant is that the halfling village is always a joyful place to visit and occasionally rp in. LotC without a halfling village is barely even LotC at all.

I voted no because **** orcs amirite

8 hours ago, Dardonas said:

Literally, why are we trying to prop up races with a welfare system for tiles?  This entire map has been dominated by free build, nations have formed and fallen, grown and stagnated organically and without needing any oversight or welfare from the staff team.  Complain what you will about freebuild, that is a pro in my book.  

I’m not going to argue that those races weren’t fucked over, but the point remains that artificially giving out free tiles because you are x snowflake race is boneheaded.  Groups should just die out, there is no reason why places like Fenn or wherever else have you with -2 activity at the end of the day should have a free plot of land.   If you couldn’t make Halfling roleplay work with freebuild, how can you make it work with a tile?  For Orc roleplay, if you couldn’t recover your playerbase (which had already fractured and been in disarray since PvP goons split their roleplay community up and alienated old and new players), then why would you be entitled to a freebie slot of land?

I see one thing happening from giving out “reparation” style land plots: 2 more Fenn’s.

Your point about how groups should have to die out is completely irrelevant. Halflings and Orcs have existed, and will continue to exist on this server, forever. It is a moot point. 

You raise an important point however; should server policy be created with the aim of having groups die out? Because the policy of squashing Orcs and Halflings into the mud certainly seems to have the entire purpose of making those players go away from the server. I know that you would encourage that, but I and most others think that is plain wrong.

Just get a Charter for yourself next map.

You do not need to ask for what you can get yourself – to prove yourselves active, why not actually earn the nation status as well as earning the plot by being active enough to roleplay, having a large enough player base that you are able to be considered a nation, and actually earning the Charter through your own hard work.

End of story. I voted no for this reason. Not because I know that Halflings are inactive and because I am aware that the Orcs have experienced a schism both in roleplay and in leadership and groups due to the events with the Rex fighting for the nation status and the land, and losing. I have taken into account what the people who support this have stated. Beggars cannot be choosers, and it would be more beneficial for you to earn your own Charter where you want it, rather than receiving an unsatisfactory piece of land from Staff.

Edited by Omolon

I think this whole topic is bunk, but I’ll share my 2 cents. Fair warning: I’ve been a halfling since 2011/2012, so take that for what you will, I may be somewhat biased.

Firstly, the Orcs should basically get all their **** next map. They were cheated out of it due to massive corruption in the staff, alt accounts, etc, and everyone is aware. Only people who are against it is anyone who is against the orcs, i.e. Humans grumble grumble. Lot of them don’t support the Orcs because they’d be propping up their own enemies, tbh. Don’t believe the hype. I also don’t think lumping Orcs and Halflings together is fair, since the Orcs have a very legitimate claim while the Halflings simply have grievances. Though I want to send my love to the orcs for their support to the Halflings <3.

For the Halflings, I don’t think we will ever again retain nation-status, and I don’t think we should ask for it. It’s simply impossible, we’re too niche to ever acrew the numbers or activity required. We did lose our nation status to corruption of the staff too, however, though that was a long time ago, and the admin in question has long since left. 

I also want to note that the Halflings sure as **** aren’t innactive. Every fucker in this thread who says we are simply doesn’t know us. I’l admit we aren’t on par with many nations such as Gladewynn, Aegrothond, Renatus (or whatever their names are now), etc. but we aren’t dead. I always strive for more activity, but I also do get it fairly often, enough to argue we’re still around. And, finally, we’ve survived thus far. We’ve always survived and built our own village. Times are tough, but even next map we’re safe for a village. We’re not under the bus, yet.

But I really want to ask: When are we going to stop punishing groups? This server strives for ultimate-activity at it’s own detriment. The Halflings may not be a 24/7 active race, but I’ve never found the same joy in RP as I have with Halflings, even though it’s less common. It’s not for everyone, no, but neither is anything else. Why do the Halflings get punished simply because we’re niche? I just want to be assured we’ll get something every map, even if it’s small, and right now we’re fighting for that ourselves. The irony is, due to massive corruption cough cough many other nations are facing the same problems, and many nations are avoiding it by being buddy-buddy with the right people. 

So, tldr: Give Orcs their nation, stop being corrupt inept staff members if you are one, and please consider the Halflings less of a joke because to the people in that community we just want to the ability to have fun and RP our niche village-life.

The only reasonable solution is to give one plot to both and make orcs and halflings fight over it.

Obviously.