TarreBear

January Community Newsletter

_bZLayp2_IfU5yPpCKOpAoRfAkR8LKE4AhLAr_9z

gr-ovYbsFdyLvJlLhevD5IksIXPdeJXegaCd3jm3

The Month of December

Greetings everyone,

Hope your new year is starting off great! As we here at LoTC get back into the swing of things after our holiday break we wanted to direct your attention and throw a spotlight on what we have been seeing, hearing and working on as staff. The community is what makes this server so amazing. The community is diverse, loving, caring, and creative---which gives us an amazing atmosphere for everyone to experience and enjoy. My New Year’s resolution will be to have a monthly community newsletter where I can highlight important information and notable events and summarize them in a post for you to read and digest. This post is going up a little later than planned but better late than never I always say. From here on we are going to try to have these posts up during the first week of every month.  Anywho, here’s to a great 2019!!!

[NEXT: NOTABLE NEWS]

Notable News

The latest and greatest on Lord of The Craft.

Return of The Creative Cafe

TarreBear: We are pleased to announce the return on the Creative Cafe. It has been a long time since we have hosted one of these fun little events. For those who are unfamiliar, it is an evening where all members of the community are invited to come show off their talents and creativity-- be it singing, playing an instrument, or even poetry. More information on the event will be announced later this month!

Promotion of a New Administrator

Fireheart: Hey all! Jumping in here to announce officially something that you all have probably noticed. Earlier last month in December we approached TarreBear and offered her the position of our communication administrator. The reasoning for another administrator dates back to our Admin Update Pt. 1 post where we outlined our desires for a more functional team. Tarre’s duties will be to focus on communicating down information regarding staff and to streamline our event scheduling for things such as Creative Cafe, Community Meetings, future updates and more. We wish her the best of luck and we look forward to working alongside her.

A Big Year For Staff

As many have already noticed, there are some major changing coming to the staff this year. While it is not yet ready for wholesome community reveal it is in full discussion within the staff. We are targeting productivity and direction this year.  In summary, we wish to tear down rampant bureaucracy and respect the time, efforts, and voice of the over 120 staff serving as of today. We as today’s Administration believe that LotC should run like a Minecraft roleplay community—not like a business. A post outlining the changes and reasonings will come out soon ™ . Change can be hard and scary, mistakes are made, but please bear with us as we go this time of change.

WANTED: Newsletter Graphics Artist

Telanir: We’re looking for a capable graphics artist to spice up the Monthly Newsletter! If you are interested in helping out and getting lots of appreciation, please message on Discord at Telanir#0001.

[NEXT: TEAM UPDATES]

Team Updates

The freshest scoop from the Team Directors themselveslearn all you can about your favorite teams.

World Development Team

Seventh is away for a little bit due to IRL commitments. He has said Mid-Late February Launch for 7.0. And Charters coming soon ™.  A Your View on the Charter System was put up on his behalf, please check it out and give your thoughts. Finally, he would like to add that more information and updates will be given once he has returned. Stay tuned!

Game Team

The Game Team has been working hard on preparing the rule sets for 7.0 which include wars, coups, & freebuild. For more information check out their monthly update here.

Lore Team

FlamboyantNewEra has been busy shelving more lore as the Lore Team Director. The team’s plans for 2019 are very big and hope to see a lot of improvements come to the content aspects of LoTC. This month they provide a full outline of what they plan to see done in 2019.

Game Development Team

The Game Development Team has been hard at work updating the server for 1.13. More information about what they have been working on can be found in their monthly update here.

[NEXT: TEAM UPDATE CONT.]

Forum Team

The Forum Moderation Team has seen another consistent and solid month under Doriftu’s leadership. Here are his comments on the months proceedings:
"For the month of December, there weren’t really all that many changes to the FM team. Aside from the usual Forum Moderator work, there have been a few discussions regarding projects the team has, and specific roles have been assigned to individual FMs through the Roster Manager that all staff teams have. December has been a slow month, following the implementation of the new forum rules the previous month."

Event Team

The Event Team had a fun ending to 2018 with the closure of the famous “September Prince” eventline. Shoutout to all of those involved, but specifically Aesopian for his hard work and dedication to the eventline. The ET also saw Xarkly step down as Event Team Director and in his place, TreatyCole has stepped up to take his place. Here are some comments from him:

“Throughout the month of December, We had quite a few changes, especially in the leadership and structure of the team. Xarkly stepped down from Director, but still (thankfully) serves us as the Actor Manager. With weeks of planning with management and administration, the ET has restructured to give each member an individual responsibility/assignment. These assignments will help places get events, while having every ET have more purpose on the team. The team has downsized quite a bit, losing ET such as Malgonious, Dean, Lion, Wulfery, Jakobi, Whiplash, and Noobman (These are the members I am aware of, but I believe there were quite a few more before I became Director). The ET team is now focused on providing better quality events, as per the community has told us. We have put in place several new guidelines for ET so this can happen effectively. the ET will NOT be taking on new ET for the month of January unless our numbers get too small, so stay tuned in the next coming months!”

Application Team

The Application Team had a great end of the year closing out 2018 with a new Director for the team! Make sure to say hi to Ivoryyy_ and ask her any questions you might have about the AT. A monthly update for what the Application Team worked on in December can be found here.

Wiki Team

Here are some comments from the Wiki Team Director, Lsuvsfar , on the teams ongoings for the month of December

“The Wiki Team has had a slow month this December, as many of us had finals going on. Some progress was made in updating its information, though we still have a lot to do. With the additions of Saharan, LionEy_, and Luka at the start of January, we’ll hopefully see a boost in activity, though some of us will need to shift to working on other projects as the map approaches its end.”

[NEXT: TRENDY FEEDBACK]

Trendy Feedback

Our crack team of gobos compiles, analyses, and critiques our feedback forums for the top-echelon of community suggestions. We’ve picked out some of the most unique, noteworthy, and civil articles from this month.

Rule change proposal

This feedback post covers a noticeable flaw in combat rules that points out an issue where the LoTC rules do not promote a roleplay centric server. Suxals, the author of the post, details the issues with the current rules and provides suggestions in how they can be changed to be improved. Corpean has since taken these rules and has brought them to the administration for approval.

Enforce Aging Limits or Remove Age Limits

Why might an Orc character exist today since Aegis of 2011 and why do some humans outlive a half dozen maps? The ultimate question is, how is age lore enforced on LotC? Is it fair for you to kill off your character due to age while someone else does not? Perhaps, the answer is yes—but only if you are the one who makes that choice. Read more on the Administrative response here.

The “REAL” Problem With The Orcs

A passionate rant on the state of our Orc community, one that is dear to us as one of the four main pillars of LotC. While not graceful, OzYmandi does raise a topic that demands attention. It is time we give a critical part of our community the attention it needs.
The fundamental roots of LotC come from a place of four descendant races…

Where did the direction go?

This feedback dives into the issues relating to LoTC being stagnant. A lot of confusion has come over the years from misdirection and questionable decisions which has led to sweeping changes in staff both in the past and present. Telanir responded to this thread and revealed an address he made to all LoTC Staff through a letter he wrote outlining where staff would be taken in 2019.

[NEXT: THE PLAYER PROVINCE]

Community Spotlight

Bright, committed, and talented people fill our community. With the community spotlight, we highlight one individual that stands out this month. This player engages the laid-back attitude, charitable spirit, and proactive nature hailed in our community guidelines. For this reason, we congratulate them for their hard-earned achievements!

TheNanMan2000

For December's community spotlight we chose TheNanMan2000 for his hard work and drive to improve the Orc player-base. Over the past month some issues with the Orcs have been brought to our attention and we wish to make an effort to work with TheNanMan2000 and the Orc Playerbase to ensure they have the tools they need to improve.

Interview

Hello TheNanMan2000, the Administration overhears much about your attitude and accomplishments. We would like to highlight you in this month’s community spotlight!

What are some of your plans for the Orcs as Rex?

TheNanMan2000: Primarily, re-establish RP as our number 1 focus and, equally as important, make the life and values of Krug well-known to every Orc, so that 'Honour' has a more clear and distinct code.  At the moment, it's not quite clear what is 'honorable', as honor is subjective to each Orc. For example, 1 Orc may consider raiding and slaying a village of Humans honorable because it shows their strength and skill.  On the other hand, another Orc may consider it honorable to not raid and kill needlessly as it shows self-discipline.  Without Honour, the Orcs are just a group of massive Gorillas with Human-like intelligence, except they also live about 3 times as long.

How much experience do have playing an Orc and what do you enjoy about it?

TheNanMan2000: I don't have a massive amount of experience. I first joined the Orcs on Vailor when I was playing as a Troll, hiding under a bridge and stealing from the Kharajyr, until some Braduks, one of the Orc Clans, found me with Sandk1ng leading them.  He invited me to live with them, so I did and that's when I first experienced real Orc roleplay.  As it's worth noting, what 90% of outsiders see of Orc Roleplay is the time they spend banditing and raiding, which, as you can imagine, is only done by mostly the PVP orientated of our community, and doesn't show the majority of what we get up to at home.  After some time, I decided to make an Orc, however, after around a month or 2 I left LoTC, which I did often, due to just getting a bit bored. I made an Orc again near the beginning of this map, Atlas, which I soon found out that the Orcs were suffering from generally low activity, due to numerous reasons which I'm not 100% clear on.  Despite that, I yet again fell in love with the culture. The Race in general intrigues me, the fact that Orcs are colossal giants with a savagely predatory nature, however with the intellectual ability of any Human, and mixed with the same amounts of emotion. It added so much flavor to RP when you add in the fact that you're basically a 7-foot Predator but with a strict code of Honour.  There's so much I love about Orc RP, but I've already written a lot.

Lastly, what is one of your favorite experiences you’ve had on on LoTC?

TheNanMan2000: One of my favorites is from a Spirit Walk me and some other Orcs did not so long ago, hosted by Nazark'Gorkil.  We decided to visit Vulka, the Spirit of Strategy, Siegecraft, and Warfare, due to my Orc being a member of Clan Gorkil, an 8 IRL year old Clan made of Military Strategists, Masters of the Bloodlust and even some Blacksmithing.  Nazark did a short ritual, burning Cactus green in a fire, having us drink an unknown narcotic from a bowl and then projecting our souls to the Spirit Realm of Vulka, similar to how the Daedra have their own Realms from Elder Scrolls.  Whilst there, we explored her realm, with all it's unique quirks and designs, before visiting a Tower. We entered, and found a small looking Goblin. We asked him for help, and he agreed, so long as we would beat him in a game of chess.  After a hard game we played over a chess website, we finally won, and he showed us a secret passage to Vulka. Unknown to us though, that Goblin was the Spirit that used to be the Spirit of Strategy, Siegecraft, and Warfare before Vulka, but he was dethroned, and so was a shell of his former self.  Something I found especially intriguing. After going through the passageway, my Orc opened a trapdoor leading up a leader and seeing that a table was placed over the exit, he throws it into the air.. only to find out that table was the war-table Vulka and her Lesser Spirits were using to devise plans.  With little time to react, he was struck in the back of his leg with a spear, but Nazark, the Farseer, saved him by calling out. We then spoke to Vulka, who in fact takes on the appearance of a short Wood Elf woman with dreadlocks. After some time talking, my Orc asked if he could become her Champion, and she agreed, so long as he built her 5 shrines, converted 5 other to worship her, and did a deed worth telling future generations about..  So now, that's my Orc's quest, along with running Krugmar. Hopefully, he'll find his opportunity to fulfill that deed.

[NEXT: PLAYER PROVINCE CONT.]

Outstanding Staff Award

We present this accolade to an exceptional staff member. We are honored and humbled that they choose our team and our server. And this month the award goes to...

Temp/RancidHound

This individual performs exceptional work as a member of our staff. He takes initiative and, without anyone asking this of him, wrote a comprehensive concept post on conflict regulation and guidelines. In this, he discusses conflict roleplay and how we can improve the quality of this kind of roleplay on the server. He breaks down the phases of how the roleplay commences from the approach to the departure and gives detailed feedback on what should be expected from either side. Efforts such as these are what greatly improve as a staff team and a server. This is the beginning of the process for his concept and we look forward to seeing more of his hard work. Thank you for your contribution to the staff and the server!

Top VIP

The truth is that without the funds to cover our monthly costs we cannot support this wonderful experience. I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank you to our wonderful contributors. To the greatest VIP contributor this month we bid our humble gratitude and a spotlight in our newsletter.

notHawk

This individual of the community takes the cake for the month of December with a generous contribution. Their generosity is what helps keep the server up and running for all to enjoy. We thank you very much!

[NEXT: PLAYER PROVINCE CONT.]

Guide Spotlight

One way to lend service to your community is writing a guide! Bold players write them for a targeted audience and share expertise, commentary, tips. We present to you a compelling, practical, and ambitious guide written this month!

Guide to Roleplaying A Medical Patient

TarreBear: Big shout out to Toffee for writing up this amazing guide on how to roleplay a medical patient. It goes in depth on how to roleplay different types of illness, injuries, and diseases using resourceful information such as symptoms a person may encounter whilst being a patient. These types of guides help to improve roleplay quality and are great resources to all players alike. We encourage everyone to give it a read. Thank you for your contribution and hard work. We can’t wait for more!

Roleplay Spotlight

When we think roleplay often we immediately look to our fantastic Minecraft experience. Nonetheless! We are proud of you, our authors, who produce innumerable works—none the lesser, many are amusing, stimulating, and impactful. We’ve chosen one among the many creative posts this month.

A Mother’s Memory

This RP post by Delmodan is a very special and moving one. Not only is it beautifully written, it takes you on an emotional journey that really resonates with the reader. The post is about a Druidess who mourns at the grave of their deceased son, dreaming of what could have been if he had not passed.  This post is so moving because the author lets us in on their emotions and feelings they have experienced. Loss is one of the hardest things we go through in our lives and many times unexpected. We give you our condolences Delmodan and wish you nothing but joy and happiness in this new year.

[NEXT: CONCLUSION]

December was a good month and a great close to an eventful year. As we go into the new and open another chapter, we strive for change, improvement, and positivity for the betterment of our server and the community. We wish to put more focus on community and dynamic roleplay. May this be an amazing year for each and every one of you!

Have fun, take care, and thank you all,

LotC Administration

29 minutes ago, TarreBear said:

please bear with us

I see wut u did there 😆
Image result for thinking meme

whoah this is pretty fricken cool

*gives 10 minae

I’m glad to see the administration working to improve communication and transparency, in particular by informing the community about their decisions/reasoning behind their decisions and the internal processes and estimates by which the team operate. Highlighting important feedback threads from the past month and the official responses is also very nice to see. Good post.

I like this

like, a lot

This is what we needed

We havent given a release date yet...

1 hour ago, TarreBear said:
  • The freshest scoop from the Team Directors themselveslearn all you can about your favorite teams.

“directors”

I love this idea, a perfect way to keep the playerbase up to date on what is happening, and a good step in the direction of transparency. Thanks for the shout out! ❤️

glad this is a thing that’s happening again

3 hours ago, Hiebe said:

We havent given a release date yet...

I guess the admins just gave you guys a rough date when it has to be done by :megugun:

Can we get this in a non forums format? It’s a bit hard to read on the forums.

9 hours ago, TarreBear said:

Lastly, what is one of your favorite experiences you’ve had on on LoTC?

TheNanMan2000: One of my favorites is from a Spirit Walk me and some other Orcs did not so long ago, hosted by Nazark'Gorkil.  We decided to visit Vulka, the Spirit of Strategy, Siegecraft, and Warfare, due to my Orc being a member of Clan Gorkil, an 8 IRL year old Clan made of Military Strategists, Masters of the Bloodlust and even some Blacksmithing.  Nazark did a short ritual, burning Cactus green in a fire, having us drink an unknown narcotic from a bowl and then projecting our souls to the Spirit Realm of Vulka, similar to how the Daedra have their own Realms from Elder Scrolls.  Whilst there, we explored her realm, with all it's unique quirks and designs, before visiting a Tower. We entered, and found a small looking Goblin. We asked him for help, and he agreed, so long as we would beat him in a game of chess.  After a hard game we played over a chess website, we finally won, and he showed us a secret passage to Vulka. Unknown to us though, that Goblin was the Spirit that used to be the Spirit of Strategy, Siegecraft, and Warfare before Vulka, but he was dethroned, and so was a shell of his former self.  Something I found especially intriguing. After going through the passageway, my Orc opened a trapdoor leading up a leader and seeing that a table was placed over the exit, he throws it into the air.. only to find out that table was the war-table Vulka and her Lesser Spirits were using to devise plans.  With little time to react, he was struck in the back of his leg with a spear, but Nazark, the Farseer, saved him by calling out. We then spoke to Vulka, who in fact takes on the appearance of a short Wood Elf woman with dreadlocks. After some time talking, my Orc asked if he could become her Champion, and she agreed, so long as he built her 5 shrines, converted 5 other to worship her, and did a deed worth telling future generations about..  So now, that's my Orc's quest, along with running Krugmar. Hopefully, he'll find his opportunity to fulfill that deed.

❤️

Creative Cafes are cool and good, always wished they’d come back

While I’m here I’ll tag @FlamboyantNewEra that the magic update he promised for “tomorrow” is 65 days overdue. That was enough time for the Prussians to defeat the French army in 1870, reach Paris and besiege it while the French government broke down and declared a republic.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, Medvekoma said:

While I’m here I’ll tag @FlamboyantNewEra that the magic update he promised for “tomorrow” is 65 days overdue. That was enough time for the Prussians to defeat the French army in 1870, reach Paris and besiege it while the French government broke down and declared a republic.

It’s too bad that in 65 days all you’ve done is ping Flambo, you should really go for the efficiency of the Prussians.