[✓] [Lore] Sorrows and Sacrilege

dard

Preface: This document was written to give a lore reason as to why both Necromancy and SotA just upped and left and their creatures along with it, as well as to promote a less Xionist dependent approach to any future iterations of necromancy.

Ob_s8aW62EKTCjE6PO0ynaTy0UdEJQS_nxNRfZWWaEnui2d6mI_deLxoKpG4ve31cVBu0XjmurJJiVWHNf_4dIlqzFtR9jEeaWn5UV6sLJyIllKhhA54u0bIEB8i9TJg3MJc_N47

Sorrows and Sacrilege

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN2Xs-MvxLw]

I felt the tides of the abyss washing over me like waves, currents from all different directions—not of the ocean—but of sins stained in a gulf of madness; a gulf of mortality.  The abyss resonates in all men, and thus we are all unclean.

It was the Old Lords who once placed their fate unabated in the tidings of mankind.  The Lord Malkaathe among them, who took with his brothers the art of Necromancy from the Betrayer, would become the living embodiment of all vengeance, all hatred, scorn, and blackness that was felt towards the corruption of aengudaemonic scourge.  It was Malkaathe who churned the soul of a forsaken dragaar, Mordring, into an aberrant abomination.  It was Malkaathe who spurned the first Khorgul, the Abyss Wraiths, and with them the capability to forge an army, headed by Wraithlords and elder Resonant Knights.  And it was Malkaathe who became the first among the Old Lords to forsake all of mortalkind.

What Malkaathe did not expect was the fallibility of mankind.  Fleeting beings, corrupted, broken, rising and falling in cycles of hatred not imposed upon the Gods but upon one another.  Centuries passed before Malkaathe came to understand this, and when he realized the abominable acts of twisting the greatest forces of the earth and mankind—lifeforce—into the darkest corruption among men: inferis.

Among the patrons of a defiling art, the first prominent Naztherak were not simply evil men—but the least expected and most devoted among the Old Lord—wraiths and their cultish followings.  For it was Xionist and defilers alike who partook, Malkaathe committed two sacrilegious acts to right his wrongs: the severing of abyssal resonance and the sundering of Necromancy.

The First Sacrilege

And now, you think you’re safe because you’re up here and we’re all under the earth, don’t you?

Well listen here, child, the dead don’t forget, do you hear?  The dead don’t forget.

Of the defilers, many were once loyal Khorgul who had chosen power over what was deemed right by the Lord of the Abyss.  To first make an example of them, Malkaathe took those who were foolhardy enough to venture towards the abyss and submit them through excruciating torment.  Violently ripped from their incorporeal, gaseous forms, the abyss wraiths were split from their very souls and forced into a mortal vessel likened to what they were before.  Those far from Malkaathe’s grasp only experienced a fragment of his ire, though were nonetheless torn asunder as their other kin and returned to imperfect mortality.

Tainted like their teachers, those of mortal forms were evicted by the abyss they resonated with, incapable of summoning its forms.  And so it came to pass that—mentor and student, wraith and wraithlord, forlorn and forgone—all attuned to the abyss were scorned and rejected from the raw essence of mortality itself, incapable of ever using its boons in such a form again.

The Second Sacrilege

We are damned; there is no escape from our fate.  

At the end of our days, we shall fade into that hellscape and suffer an eternity of torment.

It was not the sins of the wraiths alone that Malkaathe feared, but the degeneracy that seeped into the very art he had stole so long ago for all of the descendants.  Necromancy, as it had been known as the first mortal art, had fallen into the hands of sinners, thieves, demons and devils that had perverted its cause. Once promising, Necromancy now was a beacon for everything the Old Lords fought against Iblees and the aengudaemons.

Malkaathe, with his strength and ire from dwelling in ancient Aegis, had his agents steal from the Gravelord Coven the Black Nexus.  Intending to ensure a massive clotting ritual, he sundered the object and allowed its dark energies to flow outwardly in a massive aurora of stagnant lifeforce, sealing each and every darkhollow of all necromancers for now and always, and rendering the art as it was known inert.

Bone to flesh, life to death, and Gods to Men — until a time would come when such things fated to be lost make would themselves found…

sealing each and everydarkhollow of all necromancers for now and always, and rendering the art as it was known inert.

This was an interesting read and would make for a good roleplay post, though I'll have to say for lore it shouldn't be mainly for the reason I quoted. You cannot make an addition where it effectively removes necromancy from everyone for them to pick it back up if a necromancy rewrite is accepted 'suddenly'. 

Just keep it vague like the LT are promoting it.

-1 to lore post, +1 to roleplay post.

4 hours ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

This was an interesting read and would make for a good roleplay post, though I'll have to say for lore it shouldn't be mainly for the reason I quoted. You cannot make an addition where it effectively removes necromancy from everyone for them to pick it back up if a necromancy rewrite is accepted 'suddenly'. 

Just keep it vague like the LT are promoting it.

-1 to lore post, +1 to roleplay post.

it doesnt remove necromancy from everyone, it removes darkhollows which the LT had already stated they did not want a single thing to do with any future version of necromancy.  saying each and every darkhollow was clotted fits with that.  

also, LT criticize people for being vague; I think it stupid as **** for them to be hypocritical and just make creatures and magic go away with the fleeting bidding of admins/directors, so instead of vagueness, this is a lore reason why things just vanished

Edited by Dardonas

2 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

it doesnt remove necromancy from everyone, it removes darkhollows which the LT had already stated they did not want a single thing to do with any future pretense of necromancy.  saying each and every darkhollow was clotted fits with that.  

If Geo’s lore gets accepted he has darkhallows.

1 minute ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

If Geo’s lore gets accepted he has darkhallows.

then that means I’ll have to change this or he’ll have to change his stuff, but based off my work on trying to revive necro and other’s work, LT will probably tell him to gas the whole darkhollow thing (if they take the time to even talk with him in the first place and don’t outright deny it after months of zero communication)

It was a good read +1

Thank you for submitting your piece! It is now under review, you should have a verdict around the 1st (give or take a few days).

This lore is pending, you will be contacted regarding the issues raised by the lore team so you may fix it and given a timeframe for how long you have to do it. Once you have edited your piece, send me a forum PM and your piece will be reviewed to ensure the changes have been made.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.