w_ill

What are your thoughts on LOTCs current state?

I guess I’m just kind of curious to see what people think about the staff, community, and current quality of RP as a whole. I know a lot of opinions vary so this should be interesting, but keep it civil and give actual constructive criticism/feedback.

Im supposed to be working on a presentation rn btw 
i have 0 motivation to even breathe at this point

its a minus one from me chief 

Thoughts without giving any constructive criticism is just wasted time. what kills the server most is constant nostalgia from older members. “This isn’t how so and so ran things” “This time way back then was the best moments in the server” yet to the uninitiated who never got to experience any of this. Everything looks to be much of the same, at least to me. All that’s changed is who’s doing it and with what are they doing it. Oren is still around in practice, druids still erp, halflings still do as they do, and new players still bumble about.

3 minutes ago, ChaseusBelli said:

Eh

great feedback! I’d love to hear more from you in the future 

I’m a little surprised at how incredibly toxic it’s gotten. I mean there’s always been a toxicity problem but god damn it’s gotten out of hand. I’m a little disappointed certain staff have thrown their professional attitude out the window and find it acceptable to passive aggressively or flat out insult the playerbase they work for. I get that dealing with a toxic playerbase gets frustrating and sometimes you need to push a bit back but it seems that toxic behavior by players is being met by toxic behavior by some staff. 

On a smaller note I’m hoping the next map won’t be as ridiculously huge as Atlas. Large maps never work

On the plus side side I got captured in a raid and honestly that was the first time I’ve had a positive experience during a raid

Edited by Merkaken

In all honesty, my opinion actually in an upwards spiral. I used to worry a lot about the state of LOTC and stuff, but by teaching myself that being hysterical and worrying too much is the worst thing you can do, I’ve basically used LOTC as a way to relax and kick my legs up after a long day. I’ve found a specific niche of people that I enjoy, I get all the RP I want, and I’m perfectly content in how I do things. I think that if you set believable and realistic goals for oneself, you can really grow your enjoyment of things. The server most definitely has its problems, but by focusing more on the fun that I have and the people that I’m around, the problems aren’t glaringly horrible in my eyes, and I can easily just not focus on them.

its pretty bad imo

17 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

great feedback! I’d love to hear more from you in the future 

Thanks each of my Braincells submitted a letter for the response and that's why it's two letters

40 minutes ago, Merkaken said:

I’m a little surprised at how incredibly toxic it’s gotten. I mean there’s always been a toxicity problem but god damn it’s gotten out of hand. I’m a little disappointed certain staff have thrown their professional attitude out the window and find it acceptable to passive aggressively or flat out insult the playerbase they work for. I get that dealing with a toxic playerbase gets frustrating and sometimes you need to push a bit back but it seems that toxic behavior by players is being met by toxic behavior by some staff.

Thanks for putting that out there, and for the record, I agree. We’ve got to take toxicity seriously—and begin from the top. Bans and warnings have failed us because they close the discussion before it has a chance to begin. Only by leadership through actions can we combat toxicity.

As for the OP; we’ve got a lot of work to do.

Hard to grow a community when the retention rate is so god damn low for the following reasons

- They get triggered because we say “we don’t give a **** that you’re the son of some all powerful wizard, no, you can’t do that, you aren’t special”

- They get turned off by the environment designed for a more mature audience

- They get put off by the rampant toxicity

how to fix the community (as a community member):

step 1. stop holding grudges from months/years ago.

step 2. separate yourself from your character. Realize that RP is not OOC and vice-versa.

I’ve played on the server for a few months now and I think I can give an idea what some of the issues are. 

To begin, toxicity is extremely rampant. This is a well known point but, it must be listed anyway- the animosity between certain cliques on the server is disgusting. Every elf faction hates one another, Empire hates Norlanders/Courlanders, and so on. It’s a great ooc issue that needs solving.

My big issue comes with staff complacency and disconnect. Only two administrators play on the server, heavily on and off. I think to make decisions and understand a community you cannot gather that from second hand knowledge and sources, along with forums which don’t represent even a fraction of the entire playerbases opinion. This leads to complacency where so many staff members lack the drive to do anything, causing players to learn to distrust and dislike staff members. Staff bias is an issue with certain factions saying they “have” certain gms which will always get to their side. It’s like fantasy football with managing what gms “are on our side”. I believe stagnation comes from extremely poor rulesets, like current freebuilding and heisting rules, along with coup rules. Coups and Heists never happen for such a reason, and Freebuilds promote such toxic banditry it’s not worth the time, effort, paperwork and money to heist such. Roleplay is stagnant also due to being teased with a map switch we only hear is further and further delayed. It seems the staff are entirely unprepared and many players have given up and merely wait for the switch. It feels like a carrot on a stick, constantly being teased the new map is just over the horizon, and this one will be better and better, with brand new rules lore and fixed issues. We’ve seen promise of none of this, and it just seems like it’ll never happen, and too many players are ready to be let down than to believe new and better things are coming. 

Thats just my two cents, from my perspective. Hope it gets you thinking, whether you agree or disagree.

quick last minute edit;

its also bizarre when your faction gets beaten and the entire town becomes deserted. There is no point in war if the entire holding population leaves and does the thing again. And again. This leads to towns and cities, abandoned from a stubborn playerbase that couldn’t accept loss. I think this is some stigma that needs to change.

Edited by SquakHawk
forgot

Some of the staff is innactive and needs an activity purge

No plan number 2

Massivecraft chat engine (losing to competition)

recent staff changes sound innovative and cool but they’re not since FM got merged and got a free rail ticket to GM

Freebuild is an insane issue and it’s never looked on or enforced by the staff, in fact, we’re having it for next map! 😄 ! I can list all the problemns here and they won’t even get fixed! It never has been, why would it be fixed now?

Toxic community that forgot what a game exists for and take it to a whole new personal level (sorry this can’t be fixed at this point)

sheeplee staff that are easily influenced and follow the opinions of other more influential staff, which allows them to easily get their way around

delayed map release because certain things aren’t ready for a stable launch (maybe no trailer?)

threads “feedback noted” and nothing gets past this point (just look at the last reply if this thread gets closed)

Broken economy

Nothing new, ever.

Nah not toxic, it’s just boring af we need the new map to come out to get the motivation to actually do ****  this server has been toxic at since the first day i’ve set my foot on it. There is always going to be different player bases hating each other no matter what happens everywhere n tryna bring down toxicity ain’t really gonna do **** it always comes back specially since the serv is so competitive between nations and what not. I also love how certain players go out of their way to remind the player base how you shouldn’t bring rp into ooc then see those same players ***** oocly because they died to a bandit and what not. I Rp a bandit myself a lot and I can assure half if not most of time there is an ooc argument is becuz the person being bandited is eather; stalling, talking smack oocly, complaining, power gaming, tryna bend the rules to their will, etc