[Your View] Charters, Nation Status and Dependent Status!

SeventhCircle

Hia folks here’s the whole lot for the land systems of Arcas. You guys have already seen the Charter System but this is with changes made based on what the community said last time so let me know thoughts on it as is. Credit to AGiantPie for the idea for reclaiming old builds btw we did include that. We’re trying to get all the details for Nations and all that on paper now so nothing is an unwritten rule and so it’s super clear for players and staff on how to interact with the land system!

NATION SYSTEM

Charters that demonstrate a high level of player engagement can achieve Nation Status. LotC rewards Nations that strive for the best with unique benefits that help maintain their streak of rich roleplay.

Becoming A Nation

Gain Nation Status

You can apply for Nation Status as long as the following is true,

1)      You have a full non-probation charter.

2)      You have met the activity requirements for at least one month.

3)      You are not a Dependant charter.

Nation Status Application,         

Group Name:

Charter Application:

If your submission is acceptable then you will enter a two-month probation period. You must maintain Nation-level activity for the entire two months. If we deny your application you may re-apply in two-weeks.

Maintaining and Losing Nation Status

If your Nation has passed the probation period yet falls below minimum activity for three consecutive weeks we will issue a warning. If you fail two weeks more we will downgrade your Nation to a tier 3 charter.

Benefits of Nation Status

1)      200 x 200 protected area with the ability to expand further into your home tile

2)      A free green ss pillar

3)      A free mine

4)      A free banker

5)      A free auctioneer

6)      Road signage

7)      High-speed road connection (Aka fast roads)

?      Ability to have dependent status groups

9)      Access to Nation Leader Discord

Controlling Tiles

Tiles have three possible states. An uncontrolled tile has no Nation or Nation-dependent group on that tile. A contested tile has more than one charter not under the same allegiance. Finally, a tile is controlled when one owning party has full control over the charter regions within.

In order to convert a contest tile to controlled, all other groups must either convert into dependants, leave, or collapse.

DEPENDENT SYSTEM

A Dependent is described as a group whom for various reasons belongs to and is an apart of a nation statused group and meets a few criteria.

The Information & Process for gaining Dependent Status

Gain Dependent Status

You can apply for Dependent Status as long as the following is true,

1)      You have a charter (Probationary Period does not prohibit this).

2)      You have a willing Nation who will sponsor you.

3)      The charter must be in an adjacent tile that is controlled by the Sponsoring Nation

Nation Status Application,         

Group Name:

Charter Application:

Nation sponsoring:

If your submission is acceptable then you will finish out whatever remains of your charters probationary period if applicable and you will be granted the benefits associated with being a dependent.

Losing Dependent Status

There are only two ways to lose your dependent status, Either have it revoked by your sponsoring nation above in which case you go back to your original chartered status or you fail to meet the continuing requirements of your charter and are thus no longer eligible for your Dependent status either.

Benefits of Nation Status

1)      Grants Tile Access for Sponsor

2)      Paid Access to a Soul Stone Pillar

3)      Paid Access to a mine.

Tile Access,

When a dependent group is formed inside of a tile and is the first of its nature there it expands that nations influence into that tile. Allowing for that tile to now become a contested tile for the sponsoring nation. A dependent can only give full control of a tile once the regular criteria for a controlled tile are met and the dependent is no longer in charter probation.

CHARTER SYSTEM

A Charter is defined as regioned parcel of land granted to an individual who completes the requirements for the selected tier of charter.

The Information & Process for gaining a Charter

Application Process:

1) Submit a Charter Application for the land you desire.

2) Begin the two week wait. Use this time to collect signatures and submit minas.

3) Finally, a staff member claims, evaluates, and processes your application.

a) When Accepted you enter the probation period.

b) When Denied, the charter is archived. You may retry.

Charter Application:

The Charter of [name of land]

Submitted by [owner’s roleplay name]  « [owner’s minecraft name] »

Located at coordinates (X, Y, Z)

Tier level of [#]

We wish to upgrade our charter. (NO: remove this, YES: provide link to charter)

OR

We wish to relocate our charter. (NO: remove this, YES: provide link to charter)

Charter Probation

Excellent, your charter is accepted! We now flag your region and monitor it for one months and verify you meet the criteria for activity. If you succeed, we remove your probation status. Though, if you fail, we must delete your region. Though even after probation you will continue to be monitored but more flexibility will be offered.

Where can I place my Charter?

Got a place you’re interested in? Compare it to the conditions below.

No other Charter already claimed that spot.

You’re at least 125 blocks away from any other Charter or Nation Region or Resource pit.

You’re not inside the Cloud Temple Ring.

You’re not in a tile owned by a nation or in contested territory.

You are not in the Freebuild Wilds.

You do not own any other land.

* If you are relocating, then you may only do so if you are not at war.

* Keep in mind when you choose your location, your Charter can only be dependent on Nations adjacent to your tile.

I want to upgrade or relocate my Charter.

First of all, your Charter must pass the probation period. Then, choose a location that is the same or smaller tier and be ready to pay half the price of that land.

If you wish to upgrade—you must gather all the signatures. However, you only pay the difference for the cost in minas. Your Charter will re-enter the probationary period for two months. If you fail your land will only revert to the original size—however, you will need to pass another two-month probation to keep the land altogether.

Can I use the land of a former Charter that went inactive?

Absolutely. In fact, you can purchase or relocate to abandoned land at a 35% discount! After a charter is abandoned the build and all its facilities will be kept for at least two weeks if others express interest in the build or staff would like to repurpose it for events and such.

We would like to declare dependency on a Nation.

You may apply at any time for Dependant status—even during probation.

We would like to ascend to Nation status.

You must reach Nation-level activity. Then, you may apply for Nation status and enter a two month probationary period. You must maintain Nation-level activity for the entire two months.

Charter Tier’s

Tier 1 - Hamlet 50 x 50 block region

Seven signatures

Three-thousand Five-hundred minas

Tier 2 - Village 100x 100 block region

Fifteen signatures

Twelve-thousand minas

Tier 3 - City 150x150 block region

Thirty signatures

Twenty-four-thousand five-hundred minas

Tier 4 - Special 200x200 block region

Only granted under specific circumstances not applicable for new or upgrading charters.

Such as Nations who lose their Nation status as to not cut up their city with a shrinking region.

This looks perfect. No issue here! 
Only concern is on the subject of Dependants being released as their own domain.

4 minutes ago, Auriel_ said:

Only concern is on the subject of Dependants being released as their own domain.

Hm, can you elaborate please on “own domain”?

12 minutes ago, SeventhCircle said:

2) Begin the two week wait. Use this time to collect signatures and submit minas.

The signature system is flawed for the same reason it failed last time. When somebody posted a charter application, they would pm everybody they knew telling them to sign it. It didn’t matter if they live there or would ever visit it. How would this be regulated to ensure that all the signatures are pure and not friends of friends who are signing because they were simply told to?

9 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Hm, can you elaborate please on “own domain”?

Becoming separate from that which they’re separate to, or if conquest results in them simply being overtaken, blah-blah. Stuff like that is alittle important.

1 minute ago, Auriel_ said:

Becoming separate from that which they’re separate to, or if conquest results in them simply being overtaken, blah-blah. Stuff like that is alittle important. 

So that, in my opinion, is more of a war system thing like rebelling but if a nation revokes their sponsorship the group just goes back to being a charter if that makes any sense?

16 minutes ago, SeventhCircle said:

So that, in my opinion, is more of a war system thing like rebelling but if a nation revokes their sponsorship the group just goes back to being a charter if that makes any sense?

perfect

Looking for clarification here,

Is it possible for a charter to upgrade to nation status while on a tile shared with unaffiliated charters? If so, what happens to the access of the other charters to the tile? Will it ever be possible for charters to establish themselves in contested/controlled tiles? That last one is directed towards dependants being established in untouched tiles, and how/whether it would instantly cause them to shift to controlled status.

Edited by Beordan

Great idea, looks fantastic!

Amount of signatures needed too low. Should all be doubled

Meh, we’ll still end up with two dozen abandoned town/cities/castles by this time next year. Guaranteed.

1 hour ago, SeventhCircle said:

You guys have already seen the Charter System

Sorry, I must have missed that announcement, and I can’t seem to find it. Can you link it? And also maybe link it in the original post somewhere, for others?

1 hour ago, SeventhCircle said:

Where can I place my Charter?

Got a place you’re interested in? Compare it to the conditions below.

No other Charter already claimed that spot.

You’re at least 125 blocks away from any other Charter or Nation Region or Resource pit.

You’re not inside the Cloud Temple Ring.

You’re not in a tile owned by a nation or in contested territory.

You are not in the Freebuild Wilds.

You do not own any other land.

Okay so there IS freebuild. My guild is neutral to all entities and only has like 6-7 members so it’s unlikely we’ll be able to apply for dependency for a good couple of months.

If I build a temporary headquaters for my guildmembers to be housed and have guild meetings in, will we be able to apply for a tier 1 charter if/when we gather up the mina and signatures? Will our freebuild be automatically erased? Are there rules/information somewhere on the new freebuild system somewhere, specifically activity and such?

Thanks for the clarification on this and apologues for all the questions.

1 minute ago, Bananasaurus said:

Sorry, I must have missed that announcement, and I can’t seem to find it. Can you link it? And also maybe link it in the original post somewhere, for others?

Okay so there IS freebuild. My guild is neutral to all entities and only has like 6-7 members so it’s unlikely we’ll be able to apply for dependency for a good couple of months.

If I build a temporary headquaters for my guildmembers to be housed and have guild meetings in, will we be able to apply for a tier 1 charter if/when we gather up the mina and signatures? Will our freebuild be automatically erased? Are there rules/information somewhere on the new freebuild system somewhere, specifically activity and such?

Thanks for the clarification on this and apologues for all the questions.

Freebuild is coming a bit later but basically yes we want to keep the freebuild area seperate from charters to avoid alot of the nastiness we got this map from it. It’s a lot smaller in an area though and more contained to a specific area of the map. Here’s the original post btw  https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/178769-charter-system-your-view/

It's a huge relief that charters will be locked out of the “freebuild wilds.” Similarly, that some effort is being made to not simply annihilate everyone who didn’t meet activity checks in november – that’s good. But at the same time, what’s this with “dependents?” Last time we were updated, Imperial Vassals like Haense and Adria were given full nation status with tiles and everything. Hopefully that’s not still the case? Now that there are dependents, I feel like every non-independent settlement should be capped at that status and moved into their parent nation’s tile. I would truly lament a 7.0 where Haense and Curon took up huge, tile-sized sprawls, cluttering and decentralizing the map with hundreds of noname baronies. 

I have a few other, miscellaneous suggestions:

1. Reclaiming an abandoned charter (provided you meet the player requirement) should be free. Chartering as a dependent (provided you meet the player requirement) should cost half of what it costs to charter independently, because ...what real advantages are there otherwise, besides a soul pillar? The policies we have for land placement should reflect the effort we’re putting in to make this map all nice and centralized.
  2. Charters should have to be connected to other charters or the ring road with roads, and charters should have to pay for those roads. Place a naturally scaling tax on being antisocial and claiming land far away from the rest of civilization. This is the best way to enforce centralized RP, and it makes the map easier to navigate.
  3. Remove the “125 blocks” rule. It’s contrary to this map’s stated goal of centralized RP and it’s just really ******* hard to enforce. Why don’t we want charters to be close to each other, exactly?  It’s a rule unintentionally written in the way of all sorts of mutually beneficial relationships between charters. It’s a rule that gives petty barons outsized influence over land they don’t own and have no power over in RP. It’s dumb and bad and I hate it, thanks.
  4. Remove the Cloud Temple Ring, or the Cloud Temple altogether. Playable monks were sacked years ago and there’s no RP reason for a group that doesn’t really even exist to own land. The Cloud Temple, with its clutter, its lack of a clear IC purpose, and its massive empty “ring,” only stands to make the map less intuitive for new players. Instead of zoning off the land around CT for fear that charters will inhabit it and starve every other nation for players, implement smart racial spawns that make the entire outdated and newbie-unfriendly concept of CT obsolete, funneling players to where they thought they were going when they wrote their application, while opening the land around the CT for non-aligned characters and groups.
Edited by xxx