Been Here Since the Server Opened, AMA

Eleatic

I joined Oct. ‘11. I’ve been here since (almost eight years!). Not been active for the past few years, mind--high school, college, being a human, they take time away from blocky hi-jinks. Doubt I have many interesting anecdotes. Still. Shoot, if anyone has any questions. ?

what do you think is the biggest change or difference from the old lotc? besides of course, minecraft version 

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

what do you think is the biggest change or difference from the old lotc? besides of course, minecraft version 

As subjective as this response might be, the ‘vibe’. LoTC 1.0-2.0 was much more relaxed. I think you can feel that pretty acutely if you look back at RP posts from Aegis and Asulon: a lot of the people who are, or were, pillars of the community (with respect to the quality of their storytelling) now were god-awful writers back then. Cliches from almost every medium imaginable popped up everywhere in those days. That said, the community was also really tight knit---when the whole thing with Vaquixine happened, I remember there being a real solidarity among the players here. 

Is there a specific era of the server that you feel is the ‘best’?

9 minutes ago, Gallic said:

Is there a specific era of the server that you feel is the ‘best’?

2.0. Especially early 2.0. I have so many fond memories of the Cloud Temple as a sort of ridiculous hub for melodramatic character based roleplay, the little makeshift settlements (Seventis and Ravenholm (a city made on an artificial island!) to mind) sprinkled around the map, the DnD rip-offs (cough Mori cough), the ridiculous scandals. It might not have been the most polished time in LoTC’s history, but there were was a lot of really wonderful enthusiasm on here in those days. It was almost magical (which is funny, since there was almost no magic to speak of early 2.0!). 

11 minutes ago, Lockezi said:

do you regret joining lotc

Not really. I was twelve when I started playing on LoTC. I’ll be twenty in a couple months. I spent way too much of my adolescence here, yeah, but I met so many wonderful people---and that makes it all worthwhile, I think.

October, eh? That’s cute. ?

Memes aside:

1. Favorite event?
  2. Favorite singular character?
  3. Favorite build? Whether it be a city, monument, etc.

don’t you think that the study of ‘western classics’ is an inherently white supremacist and chauvinistic act? that the entire basis of some form of western canon is the brutal subjugation of all but wealth white men?

who all had like really **** ideas in general too ******* francis bacon my ass habsburg looking motherfucker

Which map/world was your favorite?

How do you feel that compared to me (Ancient June 2011 race) you’re nothing but a drooling noob?

9 hours ago, Ever said:

October, eh? That’s cute. ?

Memes aside:

1. Favorite event?
  2. Favorite singular character?
  3. Favorite build? Whether it be a city, monument, etc.
  1. When all the evil/construct characters stormed the Druids at the behest of Watyll’s cult.
  2. My bard char. that got turned into a Dread Knight--longest I’ve ever spent on a single character.
  3. The Asulon CT! Also, the DK base from the fringe maps--all those random new players acting as slaves in the soulsand region.

october is perfectly ancient ?

8 hours ago, Space said:

don’t you think that the study of ‘western classics’ is an inherently white supremacist and chauvinistic act? that the entire basis of some form of western canon is the brutal subjugation of all but wealth white men?

who all had like really **** ideas in general too ******* francis bacon my ass habsburg looking motherfucker

When a first century Palestinian Jew was right where Plato and Aristotle were at best incomplete and at worst flat wrong, I’d agree. ?

also tankie begone

7 hours ago, chaosgamer said:

Which map/world was your favorite?

Tied 2.0 and 3.5.

4 hours ago, Salvo said:

How do you feel that compared to me (Ancient June 2011 race) you’re nothing but a drooling noob?

Deeply shook.

1 minute ago, Tavari said:
also tankie begone

>says the person with Lenin in their Profile Picture.

Anyways, do you think that all of the extra detail put into modern LoTC builds when compared to Aegis LoTC builds is necessary or not? 

7 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

>says the person with Lenin in their Profile Picture.

Anyways, do you think that all of the extra detail put into modern LoTC builds when compared to Aegis LoTC builds is necessary or not? 

rude that’s a dread knight no leninism here

Necessary for attracting new players? Maybe. Necessary in general? Nah. One of the best things about Aegis and Asulon was how free a lot of the role-play was, mechanically, stylistically, and architecturally (those cobblestone houses). That said, the Temple should always be a nice build--if only because it’s a sort of official staging ground. 

19 minutes ago, Eleatic said:

Necessary for attracting new players? Maybe. Necessary in general? Nah. One of the best things about Aegis and Asulon was how free a lot of the role-play was, mechanically, stylistically, and architecturally (those cobblestone houses). That said, the Temple should always be a nice build--if only because it’s a sort of official staging ground. 

I agree with you here. People spend a lot of time worrying about making their builds be really detailed, even if those extra details won’t affect the roleplay in said build. Heck, sometimes it’s possible for people to overdo the detail, making their build look sloppy as a result. Also, when all the builds are really detailed it discourages new players from trying to build things since they’d never be able to build with the same detail as everything else.

Just two more questions before I stop:

Do people in LoTC write as many books as they used to back in Aegis? Is that a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion?

Are the longer/more detailed emotes of modern LoTC a great thing for roleplay or mostly meaningless fluff? I’ve heard arguments on both sides from ancient LoTCers, and I’d like to know your opinion on it.

2 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Do people in LoTC write as many books as they used to back in Aegis? Is that a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion?

I think a lot of the ‘in-game’ writing has dwindled in the last few years--though I have seen a few random libraries popping up on the new maps, which might throw a wrench in my analysis.

Are the longer/more detailed emotes of modern LoTC a great thing for roleplay or mostly meaningless fluff? I’ve heard arguments on both sides from ancient LoTCers, and I’d like to know your opinion on it.

Unless you’re the next James Joyce or Pynchon (and let’s be real if you’re on here you’re prolly not), you shouldn’t be maximalizing your prose. There’s a golden mean here, between the extremes of ‘you probably can’t even string four words together’ and ‘oh holy s--- this guy is writing an entire novel for his block man’. The mean is what people should aim for--the lesser is anorexia and the greater is morbid obesity.