Been Here Since the Server Opened, AMA

Eleatic

3 hours ago, Eleatic said:

Unless you’re the next James Joyce or Pynchon (and let’s be real if you’re on here you’re prolly not), you shouldn’t be maximalizing your prose. There’s a golden mean here, between the extremes of ‘you probably can’t even string four words together’ and ‘oh holy s--- this guy is writing an entire novel for his block man’. The mean is what people should aim for--the lesser is anorexia and the greater is morbid obesity. 

The writer’s most powerful tool is the pair of scissors.

Do you agree with this statement?

12 minutes ago, Telanir said:

The writer’s most powerful tool is the pair of scissors.

Do you agree with this statement?

Definitely. That said, there’s space for flowery writing. The thing is, you can only locate that space after you’ve learned the basics--all writing should be clean, mean, and lean, unless you know what the hell you’re doing.

How do you feel the community itself has changed over the years?
How do you feel the quality or type of RP has changed over the years?
Who is it you look up to the most, when it comes to RP and OOC?

7 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

How do you feel the community itself has changed over the years?

A bit toxic for a couple of years, got better, not sure how it is now!

How do you feel the quality or type of RP has changed over the years?

There’s only ever been a steady improvement in the quality of the RP on the server. If you compared a typical RP encounter in Aegis to one today, you’d be floored.

Who is it you look up to the most, when it comes to RP and OOC?

Though he’s no longer with us, I always really appreciated what Watyll brought to the table--he was an irreplaceable asset to this community and a wonderful human being. I’d say I look up to him the most out of players past and present. May his memory be eternal. 

28 minutes ago, Eleatic said:

Definitely. That said, there’s space for flowery writing. The thing is, you can only locate that space after you’ve learned the basics--all writing should be clean, mean, and lean, unless you know what the hell you’re doing.

Yes, though that nuance is nasty. I can dress an empty sentence in superfluous tangents, passive voice, and adjectives. Likely, it will sound clever at first glance but it’s too easy to get lost in them, especially as the author. The short sentence is more powerful. You just can’t BS in them.

But, when structured well, longer sentences flow better. The rule of thumb I like is to alternate between short and long—then it’s just pleasant to read. So what is your favorite style of roleplay? Can I expect to see it online sometime soon? ;)

Is it true that people made kharajyrs with the sole intention of ERP and there were brothels? 

4 hours ago, Telanir said:

Yes, though that nuance is nasty. I can dress an empty sentence in superfluous tangents, passive voice, and adjectives. Likely, it will sound clever at first glance but it’s too easy to get lost in them, especially as the author. The short sentence is more powerful. You just can’t BS in them.

You’ve got that right. Most useful thing I learned in HS English was the importance of sentence variety. ?

On the second question, definitely P&P RP, preferably with a high fatality system like Dungeon Crawl Classics. On the third, I probably won’t be coming back any time soon--school and stuff. I can barely devote time to my IRL interests as-is. ?

2 hours ago, Man of Respect said:

Is it true that people made kharajyrs with the sole intention of ERP and there were brothels? 

I was briefly a Kha when they first got introduced, don’t remember anything like that. I was also twelve/thirteen so that might’ve had something to do with my obliviousness. the mori on the other hand

all mods are bastards not approving my ****....

if you’ve seen Silence, were you able to watch it with any amount of like support for the colonizers? i couldn’t help but think ‘yeah no **** these guys they should be merked’

what 20th century american labour movement person would you like to revive and talk to the most. mine’s definitely gotta be Pete Seeger ‘cause of his music, but that’s a bit lame so lets say Lucy Parsons would be cool

9 hours ago, Space said:

all mods are bastards not approving my ****....

if you’ve seen Silence, were you able to watch it with any amount of like support for the colonizers? i couldn’t help but think ‘yeah no **** these guys they should be merked’

what 20th century american labour movement person would you like to revive and talk to the most. mine’s definitely gotta be Pete Seeger ‘cause of his music, but that’s a bit lame so lets say Lucy Parsons would be cool

The brutal persecution of Japanese Christians by despots doesn’t make me particularly happy. The events the book/movie are based on are horrifying, by all accounts—forcing Christians to trample icons is evil. The Jesuits weren’t colonizers, they were evangelists, and evangelism isn’t automatically bad just because it’s WeSTeRN. Persecution and the systematic extermination of a minority aren’t somehow justified because that minority poses a threat to the status quo. 

Also, Peter Maurin would be my pick! Seeger would be up there too, though. 

1 hour ago, Eleatic said:

The brutal persecution of Japanese Christians by despots doesn’t make me particularly happy. The events the book/movie are based on are horrifying, by all accounts—forcing Christians to trample icons is evil. The Jesuits weren’t colonizers, they were evangelists, and evangelism isn’t automatically bad just because it’s WeSTeRN. Persecution and the systematic extermination of a minority aren’t somehow justified because that minority poses a threat to the status quo. 

Also, Peter Maurin would be my pick! Seeger would be up there too, though. 

i was gonna say ‘this motherfucker is gonna say Dorothy Day’

what do you think that the Jesuit’s in the Americas weren’t colonizers then? It was just the people around them? You are probably more learned on this sorta thing than me but still............. seems a bit of a yikes from me dog... The ‘evangelizing’ was bad because everywhere these missionaries went death and destruction was wrought. Cultures and peoples destroyed utterly. A defense of that.......... HMmmm........

Its always interesting to see an old player who comes back to the forums, and get a view from where they were before they today. Honestly modern day LOTC is more toxic and restricted than I believe it has ever been before. What do you think of that? Also is there a time where the staff got way too strict on something?

When did you stop playing LOTC

What race did you apply as, and then once joined what race did you identify with.

For the LOTC whitelist, do you think providing situations to people that they must react to as their character is a good thing for the application?

Ambros, Blundermore, or Elindor. If not those, who is your favorite well known mage of sorts.

Were you on any staff when you played, if so, what were they and how have they changed from modern day (assuming you can answer the latter of the question)

When you think LOTC, who do you think of first? Who is someone who changed the whole server and kept it good?

Favorite kind of LOTC magic from each arch-type (arcane, deity, and dark, one each.)

What is the worst experience you’ve had on LOTC?

Where is a point in LOTC history that you felt the community really came together to support someone, or something?

How has LOTC positively impacted you? Negatively?

How do you think LOTC has hurt other people? How do you think it has helped others?

Sorry for all the questions, I just enjoy lots of input : )

Honestly modern day LOTC is more toxic and restricted than I believe it has ever been before. What do you think of that? Also is there a time where the staff got way too strict on something?

Toxicity is relative, I’d say. I’ve not been part of the community for many years, so it's hard for me to gauge a thing like that. That said, this server used to have some really loony people that, thankfully, are mostly gone--which, strikes me, can only represent an improvement. The zero tolerance policy for hacking in 2.0 was nutty. ?

What race did you apply as, and then once joined what race did you identify with.

I applied in 2011 as an elf, and--for the most part--played elves until I left. My main, however, was a Dread Knight for the last 2-3 years I was an active member of the community.

For the LOTC whitelist, do you think providing situations to people that they must react to as their character is a good thing for the application?

Yes, but not as a way to test the quality of their RP. It can be a good indicator of their age, their intellectual maturity, and their ability to write with at-least some dynamism. I was on the AT for a couple of years, definitely appreciated that part of the app.

Ambros, Blundermore, or Elindor. If not those, who is your favorite well known mage of sorts.

Sagwort. 

Were you on any staff when you played, if so, what were they and how have they changed from modern day (assuming you can answer the latter of the question)

I was on the AT--not sure how that role has changed since I left.

When you think LOTC, who do you think of first? Who is someone who changed the whole server and kept it good?

Shiftnative. Really cool dude. Managed the server really well.

Favorite kind of LOTC magic from each arch-type (arcane, deity, and dark, one each.)

I don’t really know the different types, since they weren't things when I started playing here. I only encountered them on and off when they were introduced, since I never really played mages. That said--Monk Magic and Dread Knight blood runesmithing would be my top two magics.

What is the worst experience you’ve had on LOTC?

Honestly? I can’t remember any, it’s been waaaaaay too long.

Where is a point in LOTC history that you felt the community really came together to support someone, or something?

The Vaquixine thing, right around 1.0-2.0.

How has LOTC positively impacted you? Negatively?

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. LoTC took up too much time and required way too much investment--intellectual, and emotional. It also gave me a place to explore my nascent interest in religion, creative writing, and public speaking (even if it was more ‘internet speaking’)! 

How do you think LOTC has hurt other people? How do you think it has helped others?

LoTC has always had people who spend almost every waking hour in its skeevy clutches (the harm). It’s also always had pockets of genuine community where people could come together and mess around (the benefit).

Hope that answers your questions well enough!

Since you’re a long-timer, is there a certain list of races I can be? I’m kinda overwhelmed right now, trying to figure everything out. This is the first time I’ve ever been involved in this sort of RP. 

1 hour ago, Eliora said:

Since you’re a long-timer, is there a certain list of races I can be? I’m kinda overwhelmed right now, trying to figure everything out. This is the first time I’ve ever been involved in this sort of RP. 

Orc, Human, Dwarf or Elf. 

There are a couple sub-races of each you can look at on the wiki but you can just be a generic one of each and pick subrace later or whatever.