Medieval Age 1203 AD

Imperium

6mGjTLjdB185sgHxtfXvg6rsJxTgfbwH9Wo4II7dlk6-mIej_B0e5lEMLs5s0Dvu3wBLD6nLcfC10n5Igff31hiskry1j6hD1Vzdhd2v5BJFGNl5bW4Bg0d3jctPkRwWl7ODDuik

Europe 1203 AD

The year is 1203 AD, the Pope has called a fourth crusade which as horribly backfired. They attacked Christian cities, and now sail for the heart of the Byzantine Empire and the bastion between the Christian and Islamic worlds. Meanwhile France and England battle over dominance. France hoping to reclaim land lost by the English. Meanwhile in the Holy land the Second Kingdom of Jerusalem, faces the Islamic world alone. Since the fall of Jerusalem in 1187 AD, the capital has been moved to Acre after Richard the Lionheart reclaimed the city. Within the Holy Roman Empire, two claimants fight for power in a civil war.  

The fate of Western Europe, and the last remnants of Rome hang in the balance.

OOC INFO

England and France, you guys are at war.

Byzantium is at war with Venice through the fourth crusade.

Mod posts will come out at least once a week. Enjoy!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor eastern roman empire flag

The Eastern Roman Empire

When the word reached Basileus Alexios III that a large force of Venetians and Crusader were ever approaching the light of the Empire a rather rathfull Alexios sat on his throne, the Imperial Diadem shining on his head as he pondered. His actions may have been the cause of this but he was for sure not going to let it be his end.

He stood up and marched out of the Sacred Palace towards the Hagia Sophia in which he stayed a day and a night to pray.

Thus when he left and resumed his duties as basileus he gathered his advisors.

A plan was laid out for a coming siege of the City.

The Empire was to raise it’s troops, throughout the empire the abled bodies were mobilized.

The City would stock on supplies that was needed for a siege.

After days of gathering with the council it was decided that reform was necessary for the survival for the Roman Empire and so the reforms were drawn up.

A reform for the Navy,

An Active Megas Doux was appointed to oversee the construction of a better fleet.

The 20 Ships were to be restored and fully manned and construction of new warship are commissioned.

The Drilling of these vessels would commence after their restoration to be battle ready, after each new vessel it would join the training cyclus.

The reinstatement of the Theme System,

Throughout the Empire in every capital of a Theme 9.6k men were raised to be working on their lands and called upon when the need arises.

European Side:

Constantinople

Adrianople

Thessalonica

Athens

Corinth

Nicopolis

Scupi

Aulona

Asian Side:

Nicomedia

Nicaea

Abydos

Smyrna

Attalei

Heraclea Pontica

Sinope

Trapezius

These cities would be assigned as the Capital of their Theme

Meaning a force of 153.600 men were raised to be a active force that stood at the attention in a minute’s notice. By accepting this proposition, the participants agreed that their descendants would also serve in the military and work in a theme, thus simultaneously reducing the need for unpopular conscription as well as cheaply maintaining the military. It also allowed for the settling of conquered lands, as there was always a substantial addition made to public lands during a conquest.

The troops already stationed in the capital would undergo trainings.

The troops raised in the themes would undergo trainings after they got their land to get in form.

Engineers would start on improving the palisade of the Theodosian walls and began improving on the tower of Galata and it’s palisade.

A feast was organised in the middle of the preparations to relieve the tension that hung around the city.c8TCfRXgzQKdamNSU03q_j77kBhuAb0sS22Py1CJ87r8olbyc8ayCotLlCia4tO-QAUI3SSJOxJ64iPqhzVDxHzh2pCDf8_K7BsVq_gEsR4GbYSUv7uDgEkmVE-kyxc0-AGeTu58

Turn 1

Ayyubid Sultanate

z2VrwroHBNZL7l72eBWNV1uR5TLEqz1CHi85XOHF1l0iknDjEbAayO871t4fU_k6En20ReCFWh6bH64n_JolteGGhicCnM5T7VM9SpSvpCC14hb_3eSDpQGUZkewAjSTVqmitYOY

{legit its flag)

Current Leader

Al-Adil I

Capital

Damascus

Total Population

7.5M

Total Military Personnel

[hiddin to avoid meta]

Trade

Open

Trade with Nations
(request sent)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sultan Al-Adil I Smiles as he walks out of the council room

“Much is in need to be accomplish…”

[!] 6 hours before leaving the council room

“PEACE! That is what is needed to heal old wounds between the christian and islamic worlds. As a symbol of respect we will move their true cross that my brother Salahuddin captured at the battle of Hattin to be place at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, free passage for the christian pilgrims to Jerusalem and a reaffirm oath of protection of pilgrims to visit the Holy city. Furthermore! Taxes on the christians will be the same as if it was taxes on a fellow muslim. What does my council say about my decision?” Sultan Adil says before looking to the room to find the men nodding in approval “Very well my Sultan, I shall see to it that the word is out.” Hassan ibn Ghabib says before stepping back into the line. “Very well. Now to our next subject. 15 thousand men are to be conscripted into the army… however they are to be trained as by 1 seasoned Soldier each, The desert in Shams.. I wish to construct a river Canal however it will take YEARS to build however it must be done! If we are to use the knowledge we have gain by the will of Allah to farm these lands! More will be discuss on this later… As of now i want trade and non aggression pacts sent to these following nations… Kingdom of Acre, Mosul, Makuria and Alodia, kingdom of Tunis, Kingdom of Cilicia And the Eastern Roman Empire. Same will be sent to Seljuk Rum along with an offer….” Sultan Adil I would stop looking to the man next to him “Did you get that Hussian?” he ask before continuing “Na’am Sultan please continue..” Hussian says scribbling on the piece of paper “Very well, nexts up is our Army, send out word hat i am looking for able bodied men to come join our army to defend its lands and defend all the hard work my brother salahuddin has made and sacrifice for.. Tell them if they wish to honor their Sultan and honor this nation and to honor our Ummah. Then join the army and fight for the sake of Allah..” Adil sighs before turning to Hussian “Write this… To the Pope of Rome, Peace and blessing be upon you, I wish for the muslim world and the christian world to be at peace… I swear by Allah that we shall protect the christian pilgrims that come to the holy city through my lands. I hope that through the mercy of Allah that this letter has reached you well, I will send some men to inspect the Church in Jerusalem to see if It need of Maintenance or repairs we respectful ask for your permission in respect to your religion to repair any damage it may come to in order to maintain the safety of your pilgrims and your holy church. We will pay for the expenses to take care of it and send workforce to maintain it. May Allah the most merciful keep you in good health and keep you on the straightpath.”

[!] hours would pass as the meeting continue

Sultan Adil I would Finnish signing the last letter and orders that would be spreaded out throughout the Sultanate.

-------------------------------------------

[Envoys out to Kingdom of Acre, Mosul, Makuria and Alodia, kingdom of Tunis, Kingdom of Cilicia, kingdom of Antioch And the Eastern Roman Empire non aggression pact and trade agreement.]

[Envoy would also be sent to Seljuk of Rum for trade nonaggression and a offer.]

[15 thousand men are to be conscripted into the army trained by veterans and seasoned soldiers alike. Mock battles and sieges will be implement into the army once every month. Word for volunteer to join the army is also sent.]

[Construction to build canals throughout the syrian desert from the euphrates river and to fertile the land to be made into suitable land to farm on.{ this is expected to take YEARS for first 3 post is to gather materials then the next 4-6 post is to build and constructed it and finish ( ⅓) (0/6)

aRygbMq-b8U6V3I9d8XLEoEctYYHQPSxk3VZLBdP9WM2fastOSOogDtO47D6MI0hW2rO_zuqQeA16rq5c05dNBUMIM5Iy8y4v4YgbTwvt1QIp1iGfG2pAoJu59Ixn-PPkdjqsUyN

Picture on where the canals will be built, sorry doing all this by phone so its extremely difficult]

[Envoy will also be sent to Rome to deliver the letter to the Pope]

[Guards are to be place to protect future christian pilgrims from bandits, word of this is also sent to kingdom of Acre and a proposal is sent to them as well with envoy]

[300 men will be selected to go and raise the national unity of the people while another 300 will be sent to see how well do the people like the current Sultan]

[ Christian taxes are lowered to the same rate as the muslims, Jews taxes are lowered as well but just a bit higher than the Christians and muslim taxes.]

Principality of Kiev

duwSCVT.png

The once united Kievan Rus was no more, split into many different principalities with varying degrees of influence. Despite that, the city of Kiev remains a hub of culture and commerce, as well as the spiritual capital of all the eastern Ruthenian/Slavic peoples. Grand Prince Ingvar Yaroslavish has ambitions to secure the future of his office, and his lands.

Actions:

An emissary is sent to the Grand Prince of Novgorod, which states that Grand Prince Ingvar hereby offers his daughter, Grzymisława, hand in marriage to himself or his son, to secure a lasting relationship between the two sister states of Rurikid Ruthenian heritage.

“Your Excellence, Prince of Novgorod,

Not since the era of our father’s father’s have our peoples known unity. I consider this a great tragedy. We are one people, whom share the blood of Rurik and the mighty Varangians. Our forefather’s held dominion over a thousand tribes from the Balts and the Finns to the heathen Pechenegs. I consider our fracturing to be GOD’s test for both of us, that Brothers may reunite and reconsole as the Bible commands.

I extend to you the hand of my Daughter, a fair girl of only 15 years. I hope that by joining my bloodline with yours, we can forge a lasting bond of blood that will last into the generation of our son’s sons.”

On the week leading up to January 7th, 1203, Kiev’s city larders are opened up and the Grand Prince throws a lavish festival to celebrate the Orthodox Christmas. Bread and Circuses to increase the moral of his people, his prestige among his neighbours, and to unite them under the Metropolitan priests of Kiev with Eastern Christian ritual and mass.

The Grand Prince levies an army of 12,000 men, consisting of 2,000 cataphracts and 10,000 men-at-arms. He divides them into three and stations them in three forts along his southern, Crimean border, stating his intent to protect his hinterlands from the Heathen Cumans and Tatars, who have made slaves of his people in the past.

THE KINGDOM OF DENMARK

800px-Royal_Banner_of_Denmark_%2814th_Century%29.svg.png

Valdemar II, King of the Danes looked over at his troops atop a rudimentary stand, after a long winter siege his soldier’s had successfully stormed the town of Reval.  Now was the time for Valdemar to address his victorious men, cheers of celebration had awaited him when the King had appeared from his war chambers, for by all accounts his crusade against the Pagan Estonians had been relatively successful and his soldiers were glad that they had received a chance to plunder a settlement albeit it was indeed a small one.

“Brave Soldiers of Christendom!” He began, causing a rousing cheer. “When we set out last year at the end of August some of you were unsure whether this holy and noble crusade would meet righteous success. But now, after many months of sitting on your arses this settlement is finally ours! But, it is only the beginning, for GOD’s rightful worship shall be brought to all the pagans of the Baltic! Deus Vult!” He shouted to his men, who took up his cry. 

Valdemar remained in the conquered city for the rest of the winter, before he departed by ship to his home-land with most of his troops; some five thousand men. His bastard brother Christoper of Jutland (whom had distinguished himself well during the campaign had served as Valdemars second in command) would remain in Estonia as governor of the region with a small garrison of five hundred men to pacify any native rebellions, conversion to Christianity would be begin as monks and priest whom had accompanied the army were sent out across Danish Estonia to teach the word of GOD to the pagans living there. Once Valdemar returned to Aarhus he would hold festivities for the successful Crusade. For the remainder of the half year he would focus on the internal and domestic affairs of his empire, letters would be sent to many of Denmarks neighbours and Valdemar drew up plans for another campaign in Estonia the following year. A census would be conducted across the Kingdom to assess both native Danish populations in each region and individual ethnicity population.  Valdemar would continue to publicly support the southern claimant Henry against the northern claimant Phillip in the civil war raging in the Holy Roman Empire. 

Actions

An Emissary is sent to the Grand Prince of Novgorod. offering the King’s sister Helena’s hand in marriage. Such a match would bring the two largest powers on the Baltic into an alliance which would serve to greatly stabilise the region and align the pair together. Such an an alliance would allow the two to benefit from mutual cooperation on the Baltic. 

A letter is sent to the Galicians, offering an alliance against the Poles.

A festival is thrown in Aarhus to celebrate the success of Valdemars crusade.

A census is conducted across Denmark to establish the different ethnicities within the Kingdom.

Conversion efforts begin in Danish Estonia.

A letter is sent to France with secret contents.

Turn One

Kingdom of France

King Phillip II of France has neared the end of his invasion on Normandy, the only obstacle standing between France and success was the Chateau Gaillard.

The king immediately began considering his actions for this war.

Actions

King Phillip II begins rallying more French troops for the Normandy campaign, to bring manpower and supplies

King Phillip II imposes a tax period to pay for equipment for the siege, and to raise more troops, promising better pay.

Total soldiers in Normandy: 10,000

Knights: 759

Mounted Sergeants: 789

Mounted Crossbowmen: 240

Foot Crossbowmen: 399

Foot sergeants: 6,913

Mercenaries: 900 

King Phillip II sets up encampments, all nearby each other, twenty to thirty miles from Chateau Gaillard.

Edited by Aden

KINGDOM OF SCOTS/SCOTLAND

NALJ-N3_0wjy0ArcPFdM611vlLBC9CjSiMaqVlTxqWj9MDlsrVf2OU0usAsyL2ZD9N0men3ssB7doBYx2NzP_oztEuvtCGfmQ5pRBr1z_vYQouwTEBz3h3279OGtl9-MyHZppYs8

King William I sits upon his throne holding court hearing upon the news of the wars within Europe as he would only let out a sigh excusing the person of the news so that he may discuss the world events within Europe. After a long day of court, he would call for a meeting with the nobles of Scotland as he began to make ready for preparation for potential growth for his Kingdom.

Actions:

- King William calls for a tax period within his realm

- Envoy sent to Denmark

- A secret letter sent to France

Sultanate of RUM

OjtDtigpAzcYxdlBWVE_sYCo-6knCiiqGREgajw9vIpu3BaZs2spo-ENAMxFSxJlNSDOQuP4flYv9MRigc94JNToOmJj6iTCm_BYZBCwFtiRdEF_MNFFLKZMFZIlESEiuN5DLqYR

Turn

Current Leader

Rukn al-Din Suleiman II

Heir: Kilij Arslan III

Capital

Konya

Total Population

Total Military Personnel

Unknown(to avoid meta)

Trade

Open

Trade with Nations

None(yet)

Faith

ISLAM!

And some Christians and jews

Nation Relations

Muslim Nations-Great respect and Good Friends

Christian Nations-Cautious

Georgia- War

Everyone Else-Neutral

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Suleiman II contained a problem as he sat on his throne, His army destroyed, war with Georgia resulted in raids, and unhappiness reigned with the population due to the understanding of losing the war. He knew he had to make the choice, he was growing old, he felt his time soon at an end, and his heir needed to be prepared. His nation repaired.

A council was called, all vassals, nobles, and men of the council were called, and gathered. Suleiman and his people talked knowing this will take hours “Assalamualaikum, I have decided, we will end our war with Georgia, a letter is to be sent, for ending the war, non-aggression pact, and trade if they wish. With this recent defeat, Our armies have been weakened, and our nation divided…

Do not fear for I shall fix it swiftly and decisively! Christian and Muslim taxes, will be made the same and lowered, Christians taxes were doubled, I cut that in half and make it equal to the Muslims, upon that, Jewish taxes will be cut down one fourth, half of what the Christians we relieved of and make it know well.

Fliers to join the army and calls shall be made Immediately, and as well as conscription of five thousand men, they must be all of age Sixteen and they must be of Sunni Muslims, They must be of slaves, and not married and have NO family. Slave’s masters will be given a hundred dinar..if they refuse they will be taken by force. The slaves will be given ten dinar Each. Their training would begin Immediately, and harsh, the best knowledge, and skilled will be moved separately and marked down. They will have their own soldier mentor, to be trained.

Defending the borders will be made, and safe.

Trade agreements and Non-aggression pacts will be sent to Mosul, Mengucek, Artuqids, Abbasid Caliphate, Saltukids, Shah Armen, Atabegs of Azerbaijan, Moxoene, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Antioch, Little Armenia.

Now then….We meet our guests, Letters from the Grand Sultanate of our beloved Salahudeen’s Brother. May Allah honor him, BRING HIM IN!”

Q5S71NIo7_zmgtatUFg0mLNMdy4oktF9DtJmx4vfY3V2wBJsMLgFmpF5Ajxwz-8e_cbKnWEh-BVrtvGQ0R3X2L_eke1MnwtJ1zPhEoJ5uhUKetieklCgp0HZffLZvZSOmfKRZUX1

With this, the council noded, allowing the Sultan’s messenger to enter, a Warm smile upon the Muslim brother’s face through a hint of worry.

“Assalamualaikum, Sultan Suleiman the second. My Sultan, asks for a trade agreement, and non-aggression pact….”

The messenger fell silent, other things seemed to be on his mind

“I accept his offer with honor and pride, You may go now.”

He raised his hand for dismissal but the messenger remained for a few moments and spoke up

“He also Requests you….to become a protectorate...of the Ayyubid sultanate… You will be granted autonomy, protection, and unification of the ummah...As well as you may keep your armies and authority...You will just be under him… and obey him…”

The council fell in outrage, while the sultan remained silent, yelling for a reach for more power from the Ayyubids but then the sultan rose from his throne

“SILENCE!”

The room all gazed upon the sultan's stance. Eyes widen in concern and curiosity

“The Brother of Salah Al-Deen believes he has rights to rule this UMMAH! He comes here asking for us to join him in unification…”

He glared at the messenger, withdrawing his shamshir and stepped forward, guards taking the arms of him holding him in place

“Our people...And Nation is one Ummah...This request...Is bold…”

The sultan looked around the room with a nod as he tightened the grip of his shamshir

“AND BOLD! BOLD IS WHAT THIS UMMAH NEEDS! Brave men! Brave men to unite for the sake of ALLAH! To bring back...the CALIPHATE!”

The Sultan got to his knee and offered his sword to the messenger

“I Swear under his reign as a protectorate! FOR ALLAH! FOR ISLAM! FOR THE UMMAH!”

With these words, the council cried out in unison in agreement of their sultan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTIONS

1. Offer to Georgia[Peace, non-aggression, trade agreement, the offer of 5,000 dinars offered as well) [MOD]

1. Taxes of Muslims and Christians made the same, lowering taxes for the Christians to be equal, the jews taxes are lowered by half of what the Christians were lowered of.[MOD]

1. conscription of five thousand men, they must be all of age Sixteen and they must be of Sunni Muslims, They must be of slaves, and not married and have NO family. Slave’s masters will be given a hundred dinar..if they refuse they will be taken by force. The slaves will be given ten dinar Each. Their training would begin Immediately, and harsh, the best knowledge, and skilled will be moved separately and marked down. They will have their own soldier mentor, to be trained.[MOD][Janissarys basicly]

1. Fliers to Join the Army are made for volunteers to join, they will begin training but not as harsh as the others[MOD]

1. Border Patrols are to be made, as well as forces spread out for the nation’s protection, scouting is to be very important for any warning of possible danger.[MOD]

1. Trade agreements and Non-aggression pacts will be sent to Mosul, Mengucek, Artuqids, Abbasid Caliphate, Saltukids, Shah Armen, Atabegs of Azerbaijan, Moxoene, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Antioch, Little Armenia.[MOD]

1. Accept ALL offers from the Ayyubid Sultanate BECOMING its protectorate

2. 500 men will go around within the six months to do a survey the wishes of the peoples, how they view the nation, and such[MOD]

1. Propaganda is to be made to fix national morale[MOD]

1. A Major festival is to happen around the nation, to celebrate the tax lowering, trade, and the beginning of uniting of the Muslim world [MOD]

1. Work and Dinar are to be made to go out and help the needy, and if buildings like orphanages are to be made, and such, military will go and begin helping build and improve the relations of the govt. And people [MOD]

1. Cough a quiet movement of Imams and Muslims to be moved into Christian towns, and slow and steady conversion of the Christians in the sultanate to be made NOT BY FORCE but overwhelming support and teachings outnumbering the Christian teachings but don't force them but push to convert cough [MOD]

1. One hundred men are to be recruited for a special task force[MOD]

1. Merchant tax to be Lifted!?!?![MOD]

2. Straightening up the HEIR to be a good leader and ****, and make propaganda where my people love him a shitload when I die they ready, as well as bring him to capital ready to take the throne[MOD]

KINGDOM OF SICILY

MCCIII

1204 YEARS SINCE THE BIRTH OF OUR HEAVENLY LORD

THE 10TH  YEAR OF THE REIGN OF OUR KING

FREDERICK II OF SICILY

Image result for Frederick II of Sicily

-After a private agreement with the Eastern Roman Empire, the Sicilian Kingdom has sent a contingent of ships with the Eastern Roman Emperor. In response, the Sicilian Kingdom finances the construction of an equivalent number of ships sent with the Emperor.

-Dipold, the Count of Acerra begins to prepare a small army to besiege the illegitimate usurper of the rightful King of Sicily’s lands, Walter III of Brienne, a Norman who claims the Kingdom of Sicily through his wife, Elvira. The regent grants him state funds to eliminate this insurrection.

-Walter of Capparone honours the wishes of Constance of Sicily, and continues to tutor and teach Frederick in Sicilian, amongst Sicilians. This does not change the fact that he still learns German, French, Norman, and Greek on top of this.

-Walter, the Regent of Sicily funds an expansion of the Port of Palermo, rerouting several thousand pounds of silver and gold to build more space for commerce, ship yards, and even a treasury located all in the fledgling coastal town.

An excerpt out of Frederick’s documents:

O, Lord, there be war in my domain. War is fought with a Norman who contesting mi rule. I am still a boy, but I want to join him. I learned of my ancestor, Roger, and his Kingdom. Rich it was, God favored it. Lord, grant me strength of Rogers, so that the mohemedans may not be struck with satan and help the sicili, and help the king. Outremer, the holy land, should be my rule. I pray to you, lord, in the book of mine.

Kingdom of Portugal

Turn One

Current Monarch:

Sancho I

Heir:

Afonso II

Capitol City:

Lisbon
Population: 900,000

Military Size:

Unknown (to prevent META)

Trade:

Open

Trade Allies:
None

Military Allies:

None

Religion:
Roman-Catholic

Relations with Nations:

Moors – Enemies

Kingdom of Leon – Relative Peace

Pope – In Dispute with Monarch

Others: Neutral

As Sancho sits on his throne, he smiles at the progress his Kingdom has made. Thanks to diplomatic agreements being made two years prior, Sancho has ruled over a peaceful Portugal.

However, although the threats to the east settle down, there is still the question of of the Algarves. For as long as the Moors hold it, Portuguese rule will never be secure.

There is also tensions between the Pope. Pointless arguments cause more stress that the king already faces.

Besides these troubles, Sancho can still find a smile on his face as he is now ruling over a peaceful Kingdom. He plans on working on development of the economy, industry and the population of his growing Nation.

ACTIONS:

• Secure the southern border to prevent attacks from the Moorish Kingdoms
  • End the tensions with the Pope and write an apology
  • Strengthen the National Treasury
  • Continue construction of new cities and towns to further populate the new Kingdom
  • Open trade negotiations with Catholic Nations

The Most Serene Republic of Venice

l074aV8PulmHwuBEM9wzIuH6918sCTh8ef1c9I5WLauWy0M3wtbSh2Z599Fe3vZCHludpcunuzIvUlyX11R3A4Wc0YnFQISgZS4uLsoIroZnGuPZ1ckDU_cktDySyts-Tz2ZExSH

Status of the Republic

The Most Serene Republic of Venice was experiencing more than prosperity. With every coming day, the streets of the capital welcomed more and more citizens. Constantly growing and expanding. The Venetian fleet had reached even greater heights with its participation in the 4th Crusade. The Adriatic might as well be known as the Venetian sea! With the conquest of Zara earlier in the year, the Republic’s holdings had expanded across most of the Dalmatian coast. But still, there was more to be done..

Domestic Matters

At home, matters of improvement were always welcomed. At the beginning of the year, engineers and workmen alike are hired by the Doge himself to continue the expansion of Venice. Not only will these new projects house the ever prevalent immigrants, but vast markets, harbours, and housing districts of marble and gold will be built across the city. Without a doubt, Venice will be a city of wonders!

Naturally, following its capture, the city of Zara will be reconstructed in full. Sufficient sums of funding is granted to government agents in order to begin the process. The people of Zara are all offered housing across other sections of the Republic while the city is rebuilt.

Foreign Matters

Seeking to grow both foreign and domestic relations, several envoys are dispatched across the mediterranean world in hopes of securing favorable trade deals, and fostering friendly relations. The most important of these missions is destined for the Kingdom of Sicily, where a treaty concerning military cooperation between the two powers is offered.

Gold Company

In a world constantly plagued by warfare, destruction, and strife the need for a formidable army is always prevalent. As such, the Republic would begin raising a proper one. Ten thousand of the Republic’s finest men are raised, they will form the core of the army. Known as the ‘Gold Company’ they will receive extensive training and the best equipment money can buy.

The Fourth Crusade

As the Crusader fleet drew ever closer to the ancient city of Constantinople, a tension hung in the air. Restoring Alexios IV to the Roman throne would not be a peaceful matter and the leadership knew . There was also the matter of excommunication, if the Crusading army caught wind, they would desert en masse. As such, a single vessel is dispatched far ahead of the main fleet, to deliver terms and offer negotiations to the Roman Emperor in Constantinople.

The Venetian diplomats are of course, open to negotiation. The terms are as follows.

-The Roman Empire would pay half of the debt promised by Alexios IV (100,000 silver marks).

-The Roman Empire will provide financial and military aid to the Crusading forces.

-Venetian merchants will be given exemption from taxes and tariffs within the Roman Empire

-Venice will make sure the pretender, Alexios IV, is dealt with.

Actions

Projects expanding and refurbishing Venice are undertaken.

The reconstruction of Zara begins, citizens from the city are offered housing elsewhere across the republic while the reconstruction is underway.

Envoys are dispatched to Mediterranean powers in an effort to foster friendly relations. A treaty proposing a military alliance is offered to [The Kingdom of Sicily]

The Gold Company, an elite group of 10,000 men is raised in Venice, they begin training. The Company will be fitted with the best equipment money can buy.

An envoy is dispatched to [The Roman Empire] proposing terms.

As Sviatoslav IV lay sleeping, he heard a voice call out to him. As he opened his eyes, he saw a bright white light, and a figure in the middle of it.

Who are you?” He called out, no more than half awake. 

The figure stood over him, saying nothing, before disappearing.

Sviatoslav woke up, in a cold sweat. Unsure of whether or not it was a dream, Sviatoslav was spurred into action. From that day, Sviatoslav would be spurred into action, recruiting a larger military force.

Later that day, Sviatoslav would call a meeting of his council. Many of them doubted his dream, some laughed. However, a few good, god fearing men believed him. Later on, Sviatoslav would meet with them in private.

My dear advisors, it is only among you few who I can trust, as it seems only you believe me and my dream. God has given me a warning, a call to action. We can not allow ourselves to remain idle. We must seek outside help. I do not know how much longer I will remain your prince, but in the future, we may need to seek outside help. I would like us to find traders that could fill us in on the armies for hire in the nearby lands, lest we be unable to produce enough men and ever be overrun.

As the offer of marriage came in from  Denmark Sviatoslav would pen the king back a letter.

My dear friend, while I appreciate your offer of an alliance by marriage, I must inform both of you that I believe you would not achieve what you want out of this. Novgorod, like other Russian Princedoms, is ruled by a series of elected Princes. If I or my family members were to be married to your own kin, I cannot guarantee how long we would continue to hold power for in Novgorod. However, this would earn your nation an ally in my family.

-Regards, Sviatoslav IV, Prince of Novgorod.

Actions

Recruit 2,000 spearmen and 500 melee cavalry. [MOD]

Gather information from traders about Mercanary Companies among the other Rus Principalities, Cumon Khanate, Volga Bulgaria, Sweden, and Denmark. [MOD]

Send letter to Denmark, informing them of the leadership situation among the Rus Principalities, but still offering an alliance.