[✗] [Magic Lore] - Galderes

JuniperSelkie

17 minutes ago, Themeatrics said:

I cant wait for this if it comes through. I love the whole idea so much of having a very ritualistic magic that isn’t all just stupidly op in combat, this is really balanced. Your time was well spent because this is swell and I just think its great.

I actually made a concerted effort to focus more on utility and such, more than combat. I’m really glad someone noticed that!

EDIT: I did remove the moniker “the phantom craft” because the source of the magic HAS changed since its original iteration, and that title no longer is fitting.

Edited by JuniperSelkie

3 hours ago, JuniperSelkie said:

I’ll admit, my fluff story was rather inspired by the Warbringers Azshara Trailer. Granted, the circumstances are the same: sinking civilization brought to ruin, a survivor makes contact with an otherworldly power. But as John Steinbeck said, “I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one.” This means there are no TRUELY original ideas. Every idea is inspired by something that already exists. In fact, most lore on LOTC is blatantly ripped from video game. That, and it makes for a really good origin story.

I never said you can’t take inspiration from a source, people have been doing that since the dawn of literature. Where I draw the line is outright plagiarism, even in something as simple as Minecraft lore. You could’ve AT LEAST made an attempt to differentiate it a bit more from the video, while still keeping the core themes intact. People still come up with somewhat original ideas every day, it just has to be different enough to be considered separate, like most LotC lore.

4 minutes ago, Parkins said:

I never said you can’t take inspiration from a source, people have been doing that since the dawn of literature. Where I draw the line is outright plagiarism, even in something as simple as Minecraft lore. You could’ve AT LEAST made an attempt to differentiate it a bit more from the video, while still keeping the core themes intact. People still come up with somewhat original ideas every day, it just has to be different enough to be considered separate, like most LotC lore.

Alright, let’s look at another LOTC lore piece then. Let’s go with Paladins, shall we? They serve the Lord of Sunlight, Xan. Weird. Dark Souls has the Lord of Sunlight, Gwyn. Xan’s paladins were ordered to wipe out the dragons. Weird. Gwyn’s Knights were ordered to wipe out the dragons. Xan’s paladins throw lances made out of lightning. Weird, Gwyn’s knights do the same thing. It’s almost like all that was done was changing a few names, and boom, accepted lore piece that was totally taken from somewhere else. Hmmm.

Meanwhile, I use a common trope of the sunken civilization (See Atlantis, Lemuria, Lyonesse, Ys, and about a dozen other fantasy locations), but everything else in my work is unique to anything on LOTC. Seems like you’re looking for a reason to complain. I know, I’ll change it so the civilization of Ulthar was hurled up into the sky! Oh wait, that’s been done too.

I’m not going to say I didn’t draw inspiration, and I won’t say there aren’t parallels. But I think you need to go re-evaluate your understanding of the concept of plagiarism.

1 hour ago, JuniperSelkie said:

Alright, let’s look at another LOTC lore piece then. Let’s go with Paladins, shall we?

"Because x did this that means it's okay to do Y". Poor argument, only made worse by you being butt hurt about what someone on a premium Minecraft servers who you don't even know says to you. I have gripes with the lore piece, not the name, story or whatever (everyone takes influences from something), but some of the abilities. Even if they're t5, some things you have stated are/seem relatively broken or can be easily abused (more on that another time).

I do have a question though. How do you plan on implementing kin? Or I suppose magic implementation in general 

Edit: I don't know if you're trying to be Lovecraftian with some of your wording or naming conventions for thingies but I'd reconsider a new flavor. Eldritch tickles my peepee too much 

12 minutes ago, The_Broken_God said:

"Because x did this that means it's okay to do Y". Poor argument, only made worse by you being butt hurt about what someone on a premium Minecraft servers who you don't even know says to you. I have gripes with the lore piece, not the name, story or whatever (everyone takes influences from something), but some of the abilities. Even if they're t5, some things you have stated are/seem relatively broken or can be easily abused (more on that another time).

I do have a question though. How do you plan on implementing kin? Or I suppose magic implementation in general 

To your first comment, if someone isnt gonna bother being nice to me, why should I be nice to them?

As for the abilities that you think are overpowered, please point them out and tell me how you think I can improve them. Constructive feedback is an important part of the writing process.

And I actually spoke to a few folks on the lore team, to determine how the magic would be implemented. While I dont entirely agree with their method, I can see where it saves time and makes the work load on LT and ET less overwhelming. It seems the standard method is to jump a few people to tier 5, and do an activity check. I'd prefer learning it icly, but that would consume a large amount of staff time, as they'd need to provide regular lessons.

All I was saying was to not copy the video beat for beat man you don’t gotta get so heated.

The difference between those examples and your own is that they took parts of the story from Gwyns Knights, like I said. Lord of Sunlight is a trope as far back as Ra if not before, and hunting dragons likely just as long. Again, changed for the setting and not beat for beat.

8 minutes ago, JuniperSelkie said:

To your first comment, if someone isnt gonna bother being nice to me, why should I be nice to them?

I think you might be jumping the gun. Depends if Parkins actually meant to be mean to you. 

8 minutes ago, JuniperSelkie said:

It seems the standard method is to jump a few people to tier 5, and do an activity check. I'd prefer learning it icly, but that would consume a large amount of staff time, as they'd need to provide regular lessons.

A few people? Who do you have in mind? If no one, how will you go about finding these applicants?

Edit: As I said before, I’ll expand when I give a reread and have more time.

18 minutes ago, The_Broken_God said:

I think you might be jumping the gun. Depends if Parkins actually meant to be mean to you. 

A few people? Who do you have in mind? If no one, how will you go about finding these applicants?

Edit: As I said before, I’ll expand when I give a reread and have more time.

So far, I haven’t figured out who would be the best for the magic. I’m trying not to pick based on personal preference, but I want to make sure I’ll get active and trustworthy people who will take the magic seriously and try to expand and provide quality roleplay. I’m honestly not sure how to find proper applicants, or if I should just pick from the people I know. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time, you know?

To get cranky because someone was inspired by other things is silly. How many lore pieces have been accepted that are blatant ripoffs of Dark Souls? This entire server's concept is a ripoff of Lord of the Rings, and even J. R. R. Tolkien was inspired by stories that came before there was a ring to be lord of.

As for the magic, having read over it I'm interested enough to either bring back a shelved character or roll a new character to give it a try should it pass. +1

Some of the abilities could use a little rework, with some circumstances, it could cause for them to be broken. Yet the piece isn't entirely bad. It does seem like some of the creativity was taken out of another place yet most of the lore pieces on the server are as well. 

Similar to some of the other concerns, I think this piece can be LOTC’ified a bit more.

10 hours ago, Auriel_ said:

I want to know more if this is true, but since your link is 404, we’re SOL.

Also, I’d like to state something I found odd here, the spiritual aspects of this feel like a direct rip of Wicca texts as well, but that’s neither here nor there.

there are indeed direct rips from wiccan text, yes.

moving forward i’m going to make it short and sweet as there is no need to beat a dead horse. this idea has become tired and played out through the multiple reiterations that have been submitted, it’s just simply not going to get passed. that’s not because it’s an entirely bad concept or because of someone OOC targeting. like you said yourself there is no niche for ocean rp or ocean magic and there is a really good reason for that; because we’re playing on a mineman server where it’s almost impossible to do ocean/pirate/voyage RP outside of map transitioning events. the reason this niche is not filled is because it’s not something that is doable on this platform. if you’re follow up argument is “well then it pays off if you dedicate to a near useless magic because all the tier 5 spells are absurdly broken” then that’s reason enough for it to be denied. it won’t be used the way we’d all want it to and since the loss of thallossos we’ve noticed no difference in the lack of oceanic RP. there was none before, during, or after it and i can bet all my magic MAs that it will remain this way until the day i leave the server.

just my thoughts regarding the actual mechanics of the magic rather than everyone else who commented on the lore itself, which has hardly changed since the last 2/3 times you’ve posted it.

hope this helps.

After 5 months of helping JuniperSelkie with this piece, I’m pretty proud to see her having followed through with this. Through her almost giving up several times due to writer’s block or people fighting against her on it. Through the real life issues she has going on. She’s been strong and I’d like to do what I can to help make sure this lore at the very least makes an impact on the server.

However, I want to put this out here in clear terms.

If you don’t like the lore, or even better the mechanics, say why in a constructive manner. Tell us what you dislike, why you dislike it, how you think you could improve it short of outright ripping it out.

She, and I, are quite open-eared and are consistently listening for feedback.

For those people who simply don’t want this to pass because they don’t feel it has a place on LOTC, for whatever reason. You don’t want water RP,  “I never liked Thalassos”, personal issues with Juniper, or the likes.  We’d greatly appreciate it if you kept your noise to yourself or at the very least present a coherent reasoning to why or a way it can be improved on other than “It doesn’t belong”.

Thank you, friends

On 3/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, EmeraldUpsilon said:

After 5 months of helping JuniperSelkie with this piece, I’m pretty proud to see her having followed through with this. Through her almost giving up several times due to writer’s block or people fighting against her on it. Through the real life issues she has going on. She’s been strong and I’d like to do what I can to help make sure this lore at the very least makes an impact on the server.

However, I want to put this out here in clear terms.

If you don’t like the lore, or even better the mechanics, say why in a constructive manner. Tell us what you dislike, why you dislike it, how you think you could improve it short of outright ripping it out.

She, and I, are quite open-eared and are consistently listening for feedback.

For those people who simply don’t want this to pass because they don’t feel it has a place on LOTC, for whatever reason. You don’t want water RP,  “I never liked Thalassos”, personal issues with Juniper, or the likes.  We’d greatly appreciate it if you kept your noise to yourself or at the very least present a coherent reasoning to why or a way it can be improved on other than “It doesn’t belong”.

Thank you, friends

This^^^

Also 1+ a good piece of Lore 

I made some additional changes. Clarified one of Maelstrom’s mechanics, added a limit to the amount of ammunition the bow can create, replaced the power for the fan and for V’acta’s t5, replaced the power for the dagger, and added additional limits to the compass.