[✗] [Feat] Dark Shamanism

The King Of The Moon

image.png.4c9f463db4ef80073dae9d85ad4bb999.png
Snakudah, The Fourth (And Hopefully Final) Generation of Dark Shamanism

Image result for grimoire art

Foreword:
Back in 2017 DivineJustice, Lhindir and I went about the task of rewriting dark shamanism. We did so out of a desire to balance the magic, give it explicit restrictions and run with the theme of dark shamans simply being a corrupt alternative type of shaman, rather than an altogether separate concept. It is the opinion of myself and many others that we failed at this. Not only is the magic to this day relatively inactive and undesirable, it is also convoluted, vague, difficult at best to understand and worse to moderate. The intention of this lore is for dark shamanism to act as a feat in shamanism, not as a separate magic. The most logical way for the concept of dark shamans (tribalists who choose to pseudo-xionistically steal power from the spirits rather than be lent it in exchange for praise) to live on is for them to literally be shamans. That is, giving them access to learning shamanism in the same way as everyone else adhering to the same restrictions as the non-corrupted counterparts. I still however wanted dark shamanism to have its restrictions and not just be ‘shamans that can also learn void magic and be OP’ as they’ve been viewed in the past, which is why I’ve kept the concept of a ‘naakh’ from the previous generation (a physical object required to cast; giving rivals an opportunity to disarm a dark shaman of their magic) as well as a PK clause to hopefully ward off poor roleplay and inconsequential use of the magic. The decision was also made that, given their irreligious nature, it didn’t make much sense for dark shamans to be able to use the more ‘involved’ subtypes of shamanism: lutaumancy and farseeing. There was also a brief discussion following the initial posting where I was brought up to speed with the general shamanism rewrite to ensure this feat remains compatible once such has gone through.

The snakudah (‘slave masters’ in the broken language of ilzakarn), previously referred to as ‘uluamirzgai’ (‘those who enslave’ in the old blah) more commonly referred to as ‘dark shamans’ have existed seemingly since the first men and later descendants formed pacts of mutual benefit with the spirits. For aeons there have been those that lent power from Apophet’s creations and for just as long there have been those that took it. 

In later years this has been achieved by loose pacts with Leyd, the greater spirit of domination, who permitted his irreligious disciples the knowledge of isthmus anchors: prisons for lesser spirits, and naakhs: a means of siphoning said spirits’ power. Though these means were limited; a spirit merely dominated will offer resistance to its enslaver, withholding its power. In the dark shamans’ endless lust for honourless power, then, they sought new technique. And one day it came.

Eager he was, then, to grant them it. Ixli, the greater spirit of forbidden knowledge, had a long history with the dark shamans. Some say he taught the first, though broke his long tradition of betraying his spirit brethren - by gifting mortals the secrets of their undoing - when betrayed by the shamans three: Kulgarok, Gukdab and Kurag in their insatiable greed. But, the age of the uluamirzgai had passed with his three shunned apprentices and envious he had become as they had turned to Leyd for their latest methods.

Flawed.” He spat from atop his throne of secrets, upon stacked books that could kill gods filled with words that could topple nations. “The strength of Leyd grows and the war wages on, all the while those fools’ methods fail their intended purposes… I should’ve killed them.” 

The corrupted spirit rose from his seat, sick of pondering. It was time, he thought to himself as he drifted through his library, to get to work. A book was conjured in his hand, its pages wrought themselves together, words spilling over its vast contents with a snap of Ixli’s fingers, thread and leather coming together into the final product as its title came to be on the cover.

image.png.687814e0aef6242d801ec9b913d6fa5f.png
Vaznakoh za'Kramutna – The Book of Names

At its core, vaznakoh za’kramutna, the ‘book of names’ (also interestingly translating to ‘book of the shackled’) is what its title imples: a collection of the true names of lesser spirits. Nigh indestructible and bound to its makers beckon-call, the tome is written in Ilzakarn (the language of the inferis, believed to have been conceived by Ixli himself) and has the unique effect of causing its reader to memorise it regardless of their prior ability to translate said tongue. It is split into four main sections (denoted by the type of skin used as paper) with each containing the applicable names of spirits used in the shamanic disciplines:

Elementalism (written on the skins of orcs)
Spirit Smithing (written on the skins of muyakelgs)
Witchdoctory (written on the skins of various beasts)

Having a spirit’s name permits those who speak it to bend the spirit to their will, allowing for a relationship equal to a pact in the affairs of a regular shaman, albeit twisted. Whilst a shaman will need to achieve the spirit’s favour and stay in its good graces, a dark shaman has some dominion over the spirit and may act as they please, regardless of its feeling towards them. It should also be noted that this dominion, unlike a pact, cannot be disrupted or halted by the rites a usual shaman might undergo to ‘disconnect’ another.

The book also details the rites necessary to enter the spirit realm, create a naakh and its place used alongside these disciplines though it does not give proper instruction into the paths of elementalism, spirit smithing or witchdoctory; further study would be required. 

image.png.8fb11373aa7384ff5963bb84fc09653a.png

Ixli’zak Naakh – Ixli’s Gift

The naakh is an essential tool for the dark shaman. Being shunned eternally by the spirits, a dark shaman cannot risk siphoning a spirit’s stolen power through themselves like a regular shaman lest it promptly bring about some swift vengeance. Instead, a dark shaman must bind an object to themselves and use it to channel their powers. 

The naakh can be an object of any variety so long as it’s no smaller than a ring nor larger than a chestplate. Binding is a ritual of sacrifice, in which a dark shaman must forsake a significant part of their body: an eye, a hand or a foot. Once removed the bodypart must be set alight, during which time a dark shaman must quench their naakh of choice in the blood of a shaman (dark or otherwise) or inferis before bathing it in the flame. Following the loss or destruction of their initial naakh, a dark shaman may forge a new one by spilling their own blood over an object and igniting it with shamanic fire or malflame.

Upon creation of a naakh, a dark shaman’s name will be added to the book of names (making it a ‘true name’ akin to those of the spirits, whereupon Ixli can use it to enslave the dark shaman in the afterlife should he wish) giving the dark shaman the potential to link with the spirits (without needing a pact) though their soul will be blemished forevermore; should they come to manifest in the spirit realm they will find themselves hideous and corrupted, appearing as an inferis and shunned or even attacked for such by most spirits. 

This fact is known by the dark shaman then when next they sleep, wherein they shall be given visions of their potential fate; damned to wait beyond the gates of stargûsh'stroh for eternity, or serve in the mazes of forbidden knowledge as Ixli’s slave in the afterlife.  Furthermore, this corruption of the soul will draw them from the soul stream and straight to their fate. In this regard a dark shaman can not be resurrected by the wilven monks and must either rely on another method of revival or be later captured as an inferis by a naztherak, otherwise their fate is sealed. 

When utilised the naakh will take on a lightless, pitch black appearance and alert nearby shamans (within /q range) of a disturbance to the spirits. This would occupy a similar frame of time to a regular shaman calling upon the spirits to begin casting. 

Requiring physical touch for its use, a dark shaman stripped of their naakh by physical force (naakhs can not be ‘grabbed’ using telekinesis or elementalism) will be completely without their shamanic power lest they wish to be immediately identified and slain by the spirit from which they are stealing.

The abilities granted by the naakh then are entirely dependant on the school of shamanism (restricted to elementalism, spirit smithing and witchdoctory) being practised through it. The progression through these disciplines will mirror that of regular shamans. 

General Red Lines Of The Dark Shamanism Feat

-The feat alone will not give any power besides the ability to spirit walk and create (useless) Naakhs. Any shamanism practiced by a dark shaman will require an MA in the relevant sub discipline. This can either be the MA of a shaman that wishes to realign themselves and forsake their pacts or a new SA (that would still require a teacher).

-The feat must be obtained by reading the book of names and translating its instructions.

-Dark shamans can only learn elementalism, spirit smithing or witchdoctory. They can not farseeing or lutaumancy. They can however learn any other non-shamanic magic in line with their own requirements.

-Dark Shamans must adhere to the same redlines, guides, tier progression and emote counts (albeit replacing prayer emotes with naakh emotes) as regular shamans using elementalism, spirit smithing or witchdoctory. They are, for all intents and purposes, still regular shamans who differ exclusively in their relationship with the spirits and dependence on a naakh. Knowing the true names of the spirits serves as an alternative to pacting, not a fast track or substitute to learning elementalism, spirit smithing or witchdoctory.

-In order to make a naakh (necessary for all spellcasting) a dark shaman must sacrifice one of their own eyes, hands or feet. These cannot be regrown with alchemy or holy magic though they can be replaced with prosthetics. 

-Without physical touch of their own naakh (they cannot borrow another’s) a dark shaman can not use any of their shamanic magics. The naakh is also immune to the grasp of telekinesis and elementalism.

-If lost or destroyed, a naakh can not be replaced via the above mentioned ritual within a span of 6 hours. 

-If killed a dark shaman can not be revived by the monks if killed via roleplay combat and is subject to PK with the exception of approved lore resurrections (such as utilising kloning, machine spirits, undeath etc). Once killed they will narratively become an Inferis over the course of a full month but will not be made playable without a relevant CA and Naztherak creator. 

Credits:

Shamanism
Shamanism Addition 
Dark Shamanism (Outdated With This Lore’s Approval)
Stargûsh'Stroh

1f44f.png

-If killed a dark shaman can not be revived by the monks if killed via roleplay combat and is subject to PK with the exception of approved lore resurrections (such as utilising kloning, machine spirits, undeath etc). Once killed they will narratively become an Inferis over the course of a full month but will not be made playable without a relevant CA and Naztherak creator. 

NO, make naztherak be forced to pk on death too for the same logic, then it’s fair.

Edited by Yen

gonna read and leave my thoughts ❤️ 

okay so here i am! personally i think this is such a better idea than the current way dark shamanism works. the original concept of taking their true name as a form of blackmail was so metal and honestly really unique – gave the shamans actual ways to find out about these dark mages and actual peruse story lines between two directly opposite groups. 

currently dark shamanism is in a super weird place where it has about 5-6 abilities consistently used and the rest are there as filler because of similarities between normal shamanism and dark shamanism so there needed to be significant differences. i think this method is perfect and could definitely be done right, unlike thuleanism you take base deity magic and gave it an edge but no one got to use it. 

good job mordu, totally wicked! +1

1 minute ago, Yen said:

NO.

Yes. Don’t being unwilling to PK. Death is a significant part of role play and shouldn't be shrugged off all the time.

No one else with the actual magic was consulted before this and Mordu hasnt had it for months

Edited by Yen

Just now, Yen said:

This is retarded

That was rude.

While it may be somewhat of a slight to neglect to contact those who have had previous, and currently have, involvement in the lore. If what they rewrite is better, or far better, than the existing lore (and I’m not saying this is, just arguing against your point), then there is no issue in posting it.

Make Naztherak be forced to PK on CRP death too, and then become inferi like this, if that’s how it’s gonna go. 

Cus rn this is just “Let’s **** and kill off all dark shamans just make them inferi and bind them.”

Though being in communication with the writer regarding this re-iteration about the new shaman rewrite I will leave the following:

- this will not serve as the definitive lore submission, as it will require some alteration to align with the ongoing shamanism rewrite and the general lore format overhaul

Points of feedback:

- Voodoo dolls have been removed. Long range cursing is no longer a thing on LotC

- Muyakelg have been removed.

- Spirit Smithing is becoming a feat that requires shamanism as prerequisite, it will only be an addition for fluff as the potency of these items do not exceed Tier 3 shaman potency (assuming the shaman is Tier 5)

I like the general approach, reforging dark shamanism as 'taboo' shamanism instead. As this was the aim of the shamanism rewriters. You did a good job and I like the fluff of it. The PK clause is quite interesting.

I do have some issue with the book of names, as it can be hoarded. Maybe you can let Ixli possess this tome and any apprentice / willing soul can be contacted by them (initial casters) and afterwards students can be brought to Ixli for attunement

I also like the replacement with the bodily tether to the spirits to a physical item, this makes a lot of sense as any spirit would refuse an established connection between a mortal like this and themselves

The PK and bodily sacrifice give a good indication to the depravity of this magic. It requires a sacrifice to obtain this power over celestial beings and this is a good way of showing such.

The overall fact that dark shamanism is no longer a stand-alone magic is a good thing, seeing it has struggled at being such. Instead it now is a path for a shaman to descent into – as their character forms and decays, losing sanity or beliefs in the spirits and then results to the ultimate depravity of taking the wheel and steering the spirits, instead of being their servant.

I will see to the best of my ability that this lore is reformatted and adjusted to the shamanism rewrite!

9 minutes ago, HedgeHug said:

- this will not serve as the definitive lore submission, as it will require some alteration to align with the ongoing shamanism rewrite and the general lore format overhaul

For now it will for reasons I’ve explained in PMs. 

That said I have made edits necessary for facilitating the general shamanism rewrite as per our discussion and I’m still happy with this lore being edited into the general shamanism overhaul when it is eventually posted, if the LT desires.

Otherwise, though, the intention of this lore is still to fix the problem of current dark shamanism for the longterm and it will still function as a piece of lore by itself that will change with elementalism, witchdoctory and spirit smithing as they evolve, in a similar relationship to the previous ichorianism with druidism.

30 minutes ago, Yen said:

this is honestly terrible and just fucks the dark shaman community,

what community LOL

in all seriousness, you need to chill out, if you’re not willing to PK you can drop the magic if this gets accepted, but if you’re seriously upset about having to PK on death, you should really rethink your rp.

21 minutes ago, Yen said:

Make Naztherak be forced to PK on CRP death too, and then become inferi like this, if that’s how it’s gonna go. 

Cus rn this is just “Let’s **** and kill off all dark shamans just make them inferi and bind them.”

i dont think you know anything about naztherak, there’s nothing that i know of in the base lore that would be able to be changed for that to happen nor would it make sense or be ironed in somehow without changing fundamentals.

naztherak is fine as is, i think you’re just emotionally lashing out at anything you can and being unreasonable because you personally don’t like this rewrite.

both of those mindsets are toxic or just not healthy or rlly constructive at all

jake
“if our writing of this gets accepted, get PKed or drop the magic”
I don’t know how many of the dark shaman ‘’’’community’’’’ wanted this, but if you’re gunning to erase them, that’s a good way to do it, or just make them unsatisfied, not exactly a kosher ending.

yen

“ur bad bc this will screw up the magic community”
#1, trial periods exist for a reason
#2, you don’t even know if it’d get taken in

which from someone completely unrelated and uninvolved, both sides sound dumb w/ kingofthemoon’s writing atleast being good

be like mordu and have ur mind on actually being willing to fix things as is according to their willingness to comply w/ shamanism lore

1 hour ago, Yen said:

You know what would’ve fucked the dark shamans more? Had he not rewritten this and your magic got removed. Writing this on my phone with one hand. Will forumulste an actual response to the post soon

I want to **** on this but I can't.

It's a nicely written feat that helps orientate dark shamanism away from the constant stigma and rewrites