Vampires/Striga/Monsters in general

KrisTough

Dear players, Moderators, Admins, and all other teams.

Recently, there has been talk of shelving the creatures called Striga, the vampire equivalent in LOTC. I object to this shelving for several reasons which will be listed.

1. Already, many creatures have been “nuked”. And a lot of these creatures were creatures of evil. The biggest problem that we have now is banditing which becomes boring after constantly being downed on the road by bandits. Bandits themselves irp are not bad, yet everyone is resorting to banditing now. If we had more of these creatures such as Striga, it would add more color to the rp.
  2. When I first joined LOTC, I was a character by the name of Alkheim Guillén. After a week of RPing, I discovered an undead sect. This itself was extremely exciting to me. I had discovered creatures who practiced dark arts and I had my character strive to battle them. It inspire different much thought and a lot of rp. Rather than just fleeing like bandits had done, they took a stand as undead and fought. It added so much to the rp we had and just was so fun. If we keep these creatures in, the rp will be even better for the community, especially the new players.
  3. These evil creatures truly add something into the lore of LOTC. It offers creatures, played by players, that have no mortal morals. They are inhuman humanoids that groups can band together to fight. It does not divide us like normal human and elven evil does. For when someone decides for their character to turn evil, they still allows some goodness in the character, but monsters leave that all behind and truly add something evil to fight against in LOTC. Look what the Vaeyl order did in Atlas. Because of them, all the nations of Atlas fought together to exterminate them, bringing such enjoyable rp into the whole of Atlas.
  4. Another objection is that, these creatures are just fun to play anyways. To be the tyrannical Vampire with not even a smidge of goodness who does not fight for money, but just for pure power, or revenge, is fun sometimes, IRP that is. Turning people to your minions is also enjoyable. Instilling fear in the nations of the RP land can be awesome for both the player and the nations.

These are only some of the cons of shelving a lot of monsters. And I know why it is done. Chaotic creatures are often played by chaotic people, meaning disorganization and rule breaking. But with revision, proper revision, it can be done properly and still be enjoyable. I beseech the Players day LOTC to join me in securing the monsters of Arcas to exist as playable races, not creatures of history that has passed.

PS. +1 this if you like it.

Plus, with every shelving of a creature just allows more and more creatures to be erased from LOTC

Edited by Beorn15

They’re all dead man.

2 minutes ago, Keefy said:

They’re all dead man.

Not necessarily. They are still played by people. They have been shelved, so some of them need to be removed from the shelves and opened again. SOMe of them were rightly shelved, others were shelve death because not a lot of people played them.   

36 minutes ago, Beorn15 said:
  1. Another objection is that, these creatures are just fun to play anyways. To be the tyrannical Vampire with not even a smidge of goodness who does not fight for money, but just for pure power, or revenge, is fun sometimes, IRP that is. Turning people to your minions is also enjoyable. Instilling fear in the nations of the RP land can be awesome for both the player and the nations.

The absolute antithesis of why a striga should be played, they are not some mustache twirling agents of chaos and this is the main reason WHY I WANT THEM GONE.

The playerbase will consistently ruin monster tropes and ideas of this because they’re unable to detatch themselves from stereotypes and create their own characters that are not done with some exterior goal such as, “I want to kill people as a vampire or just eat because uwu”. LotC does not fit with the trope of vampires and the only reason it has not been completely ruined is because of the close near isolationist policy that most people who have participated in this lore have done. The original lore writers want it gone and a majority of the old guard of the striga feel the same way, because we don’t want what happened to ferals to happen to that piece of lore.

No i mean the striga. A vast majority of them pked not long ago. I processed said PK’s as a LT when they occured.

As for monsters/spooks in general for them to be played, lore must be made and repaired when shelved. The server isnt going to fart out a monster for people to play if the lore for it isnt of a certain standard.

shelf striga and replace them with male frost witches who still have to eat men for some real interesting roleplay

Edited by xxx

image.png.7a407bf83a94b522e8d5f3b3f230f9df.png

i hope you know that the amount of rep on a post doesn’t make it more seen, this isn’t imgur with a frontpage depending on amount of rep on the post

I still actively play mine, and there are very few others yes. But I think the quality of the rp we provide is much higher than many other of the shelved creatures. And I have to agree with Joel in most of his points across the many posts about striga, while it would suck to have my character deleted, after all the development I have put into him, I can also understand Joel’s fears, as the striga can never really be fully realized in LoTC’s culture, though I have been doing my best recently. The biggest problem I have with this post is that striga in your eyes are 100% evil, while in reality they are much more grey, not all wished to obtain the curse, and some even hate themselves for having it, which is exactly why Joel said earlier that you were wrong in your belief of why they should be played.

sorry for **** formatting I’m on my phone on painkillers 

First off, eventually, a stero type is the on,y way to play a creature. Eat people I see how Striga/vampire survive, it’s not a stero type, it’s a necessity of the creature. Second, I am calling them 100% evil because the original vampires are just that, 100%. Not sure if any Christians are  here, but a vampire I should the exact opposite of Jesus. Jesus=100% good, vampire=100% evil. Either way, that is besides the point and some of you would like to call me out for that. But I can not control how others play the creature. Lastly, if we get rid of these monsters, the LOTC veterans will become bored with the classic races. Because, already we have seen several creature stuff shelved. This will only pick up speeed until the only playable creatures will be men, dwarves, elves, and maybe orcs. If this keeps up, kha will most definitely get shelved as well

just go kill ascended they’re low-key the actual real devils, having a golden glow doesn't mean ur good or anything just blow up their anime high schools

10 hours ago, Beorn15 said:

First off, eventually, a stero type is the on,y way to play a creature. Eat people I see how Striga/vampire survive, it’s not a stero type, it’s a necessity of the creature. Second, I am calling them 100% evil because the original vampires are just that, 100%. Not sure if any Christians are  here, but a vampire I should the exact opposite of Jesus. Jesus=100% good, vampire=100% evil. Either way, that is besides the point and some of you would like to call me out for that. But I can not control how others play the creature. Lastly, if we get rid of these monsters, the LOTC veterans will become bored with the classic races. Because, already we have seen several creature stuff shelved. This will only pick up speeed until the only playable creatures will be men, dwarves, elves, and maybe orcs. If this keeps up, kha will most definitely get shelved as well

You say you speak on behalf of the LotC veterans when most do not like the influx of creatures that have no real place within LotC. The idea of having striga as a creature that are 100% objectively evil and chaotic is once again not what the purpose of the piece is. Striga was written as a thing that could complement a character’s story and offer them another niche of depth through the idea of inner conflict and having this inhumane desire needing to be met to survive. The stereotype is definitely not the only way to play the creature and that’s a big problem with how LotC thinks and functions. They either base their characters around magics or creatures that shouldn’t define exclusively how a character functions, losing any other depth or attempt of proper narrative.

And I hope Kha will get shelved because their own story ended when Metzili crashed the floating Bastion. We hold onto things for the sense of diversity, even if they make no sense within the thematic atmosphere.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:23 PM, ScreamingDingo said:

And I hope Kha will get shelved because their own story ended when Metzili crashed the floating Bastion. We hold onto things for the sense of diversity, even if they make no sense within the thematic atmosphere.

As a story team member this troubles me.