April Community Newsletter

TarreBear

APaBIORsxJAw1sl0O-r19Cw8bIg7bcA_3BvLxz2x

The Month of March

Hello everyone!

The month of March has been full of excitement, creativity, and hard work. We have officially been on Arcas for an entire month and it is always nice to see a lot of creativity bursting throughout the community with all of the art, well-written roleplay posts, and guides. Speaking of art, as you may have noticed the banner for these newsletters has been updated by one of our lovely community staff content creators, rwk0! She is very talented and there is more to come from her. Staff this month has also been working hard on various projects and are continuing to work hard into the month of April. I hope had a lovely April Fools Day and I wish you a great time as we roll into the holidays later on this month. Now let's get into it!

Notable News

The latest and greatest on Lord of the Craft.

The Map Returns

This post here announces that the map on the forums has been updated for Arcas. This time around it includes nation locations. The map is still in a work in progress so please be patient with us during the process of getting it completely together!

The Real Final Vault Information Thread

We’ve been receiving tons of questions about the state of vaults throughout our first month here on Arcas. So fret no more! This post has everything you need to know about getting hold of your vault items. We experienced some technical difficulties with people’s vault items being wiped from their enderchest. Therefore a new solution has been worked out. Please read this thread if you have not received your items yet!

The Wiki Thread

This is a thread created for the purpose of fixing errors on the wiki. If you see any issues or errors on the wiki that needs to be fixed please use the format and post them on the thread!

Tokeballs

I hope you all liked our little April Fools Day joke. This post details some information on their use and what is to come of the tokeballs in the near future.

Team Updates

The freshest scoop from the Team Directors themselves—learn all you can about your favorite teams.

Development Team

The Development Team has been busy working on our optimization issues and other bug fixed that have popped during our transition. Thank you for being patient and bearing with us as we get things sorted. An update will be coming out soon for the development team!

Moderation Team

The Moderation Team has worked hard this month on getting war rules together which are currently under review. Throughout the month the team puts out updates on what is going on which are very important because often they highlight changes to the rules. Later on this week the team will be posting their monthly update log that will give much more insight and information on the happenings of the team for the month of March. That will be inserted once the post is up but now please check out the other updates they have put up:

Moderation Update- March 13th 2019

Moderation Update- End of March

Community Team

This month the Community Team has been busy working and putting together systems for many new projects coming up. Some of the projects would include Monks, Pots and Pandits, and Player Intervention. As these systems have been tested out and performed by members of the team over the month, we can now go back in and work on what needs to be improved. For the upcoming month, the team will be focused more in-house work doing updates to our training processes as we implement these new systems and getting the team trained up to standard. However, it will not be the only thing the team will be doing. The team plans to host a small easter event this month so keep your eyes peeled for content related to that. Lastly, a small reminder that the team is fairly new and has doubled the size since it was first introduced. This means we have many new faces and with so many new things being introduced we have to get everyone accustomed to their new duties!
More information and statistics regarding the Community Team can be found here:

Community Team Update Log - March

Story Team

The Story Team has officially launched, detailed in the thread found here. In it, they have linked a number of other announcements that link with their launching, including links to the new lore rules. These are part of our server’s ruleset, so please make sure to read them.

Trendy Feedback

Our crack team of gobos compiles, analyses, and critiques our feedback forums for the top-echelon of community suggestions. We’ve picked out some of the most unique, noteworthy, and civil articles from this month.

New Headshop Items

This post spoke about the lack of new head items. I have added a bunch of heads in mainly the food, decoration, kitchen, and gem areas. @lucasking321 has made some very nice animal heads that have been added to the headshop. Check them out with the /headshop command in-game under animals! If you have any heads that are roleplay appropriate that you’d like to be added to the headshop, send TarreBear a forum PM.

[Forums Feedback] Latest Topics Module

@Hunwald brought up a nice suggestion about how the topics module can be better organized. It is an idea we can definitely look into improving. Give your thoughts and opinions on the post!

The Player Province

Community Spotlight

Bright, committed, and talented people fill our community. With the community spotlight, we highlight one individual that stands out this month. This player engages the laid-back attitude, charitable spirit, and proactive nature hailed in our community guidelines. For this reason, we congratulate them for their hard-earned achievements!

AlligatorBait

This month’s community spotlight goes to AlligatorBait for their creativity and hardwork on this lovely map of Arcas that can be seen below. They are currently a member of our human playerbase, specifically, The Kingdom of Haense. In our interview with him below we discussed his digital skills, roleplay experience,  and his thoughts and feedback on the map. We thank you for your creativity and efforts put into the community!

Spoiler

YlpyBffgPPYK-vnhatCrvUqZ2TFTO5IDSt1XsdEI

Interview

Hello AlligatorBait, the Administration overhears much about your attitude and accomplishments. We would like to highlight you in this month’s community spotlight!

Tell us about yourself and what made you join LotC

AlligatorBait: I joined back in Asulon, played consistently until Athera, and then have been off and on the server until now that I got dragged back into it. A friend of mine was the one who found LotC and we both applied for it together. I can't really remember any of the specifics, since this was way too long ago, but it was around the time that A Song of Ice and Fire was getting more popular and the idea of being apart of a bigger story of political intrigue in a medieval setting was what drew me into playing a human from the start. I played a blacksmith living a modest life for a while until Elysium, and that's when I got mixed up with the Stafyrs. Being surrounded by more experienced roleplayers and thrown introduced into the wider world of human RP was what really got me into the server for good and that's where I've been ever since.

Your map of Arcas was nicely done! We want to hear more about the creative process and how you got into making maps as such

Thank you. The process is kinda dry, but I'll go over it. This one was made all in Photoshop, but I've done others in actual map making software like Campaign Cartographer and Wonderdraft. I started with a stock photo of a parchment I find online and trace the outline of the map onto it using the first screenshots that were posted on the forum (this was started before the dynmap was updated). Then I'd color in the land and the sea, overlaying it on top of the parchment so that it still has the texture of the paper. Next came the actual content of the map -- trees, mountains, cities, etc -- which were custom blank brushes that I picked up from somewhere online ages ago. The most tedious part came next, which was coloring in every little part of it, similarly to the way I did the land and sea to make it retain the texture of the parchment. From there I just had to make all the labels and it was done, save running it by some other people to see what they thought of the font I used and such.

Fortunately, there wasn't very much present in the map besides the capitals when I made it and I could tell, for the most part, what was what by looking at the screenshots posted on the forums. For what I couldn't, I'd have to scout around in game during off hours.

I first got into it during Athera when I was taking a web design/photoshop class in high school. There was a map making contest put on and I decided to use what I'd been learning to make a submission. I won second place (though I still disagree with that ruling), and from there, it's become a bit of a hobby to make one for new maps and refine my skills each time.

What are your thoughts on Arcas and where do you think we could improve?

Arcas itself is really nice looking and definitely an improvement over Atlas, in part because each section of the map has something interesting about it, which was something I can't say I felt about the previous map. In my opinion, it would've been better had the CT been placed in the direct center of the map and freebuild not have been included so that the nations on the eastern side would have more space, especially considering that the whole snow island to the NE has been off-limits for story team stuff (so I've heard). I'd also relax the requirements of the charter system to allow for smaller and more niche groups to establish themselves as I believe that restricting what players can do to affect not only their own characters' story but the overall story of the server is more detrimental to maintaining a dynamic and engaging RP environment than if groups were allowed to splinter off and utilize the whole map.

Outstanding Volunteer Award

We present this accolade to an exceptional staff member. We are honored and humbled that they choose our team and our server. And this month the award goes to...

Tofuus

This months award goes to our good old pal, Mister Tofuus! This guy has been busting his barnacles fixing a lot of the bugs and issues we have been having from the transition. In addition, he did a lot of the work to help make the transition be as smooth as possible for everyone. He’s been great with being around, responsive, and overall very helpful. We appreciate everything that you do!

i7yXI6IKE8qSlYVyCQFmMRJfdofnf8zaae_h7LXi

Top VIP

The truth is that without the funds to cover our monthly costs we cannot support this wonderful experience. I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank you to our wonderful contributors. To the greatest VIP contributor this month we bid our humble gratitude and a spotlight in our newsletter.

Auric_Saint

Auric is out Top VIP of the month of March! Your contribution to the server is what helps keep our services up and running for everyone to enjoy. We thank you so much!

Guide Spotlight

One way to lend a service to your community is writing a guide! Bold players write them for a targeted audience and share expertise, commentary, tips. We present to you some compelling, practical, and ambitious guides written this month!

Formatting Forum Posts

This is another very wonderful post by @Toffee . A couple of months back they made a wonderful guide on how to roleplay a medical patient. A now they have a made another great guide, this time it on how to Format Forums Posts. This is a great resource for new and older players alike can use. Formatting can be a bit of a struggle, especially for those who are new to making forum posts or are generally new to the server. Check this out for good tips!

Arcas Resource Pit Map

This neat post was created by @Omar Grimmer'Lak They created a map guide of the resource pits in at cloud temple. This is a very nice resource to use to find your way around. Thank you Omar, for your contribution and work. I suggest everyone check it out!

Guide to Fair Combat Roleplay

This a very well-written, informative guide to combat roleplay. The guide breaks down combat roleplay and highlights factors that players should consider when performing this type of roleplay. In addition to going over basic combat, the guide also speaks about combat roleplay involving magic. Using magic in combat can be a hard thing to grasp and roleplay in a fair manner.

Roleplay Spotlight

When we think roleplay often we look to our fantastic Minecraft experience. Nonetheless! We are proud of you, our authors, who produce innumerable works—none the lesser, many are amusing, stimulating, and impactful. We’ve chosen one among the many creative posts this month.

The Crow Flies

This post is about the long-reigning monarch Queen Elizaveta, it tells the story of her unfortunate and early demise at the hand of the treacherous Andrei. It is a prime example of a developed and layered character that provided much to the Kingdom of Haense during her reign.  

Written by @Torky

Grasping

This post highlights the struggles in the position of Loras, fighting against the testing atmospheres of both his daunting mentalities, physical mutilations and the discovery of the safe sanctuary of a loved one. One of the many enjoyable reads of character experience our forums have to offer.

Written by @Tato

The Aide of The Sea

This post was written as an insight to orcish culture, a roleplay situation where mighty orcish farseers contacted the infamous spirit of the seas. The trio of Uruks faced the might of the giant beast of the waters, in a moment of panic the Uruks attempt to reason with the spirit.

Written by @Sykogenic

Thanks to @torky for helping me finish this section

The month of March was a great month as we launched into Arcas. It was refreshing to see everyone around, old members returning and seeing a lot fresh faces around! The amount of creativity that was shown over the forums this month was also really nice and reminds us of how unique this community really is. I can’t wait to see and read more throughout the month of April. We hope all of you enjoyed the read and we wish you all another great month!

Have fun, take care, and thank you all,

LotC Administration

@Omar Grimmer'Lak for next Community Spotlight?

Good stuff!

Oh damn, thanks for the Spotlight on my story. Can’t even begin to say how long it took to translate just those 10 or so exchanges from regular Blah to the old Tongue. Glad that someone enjoyed it enough to suggest it for a spotlight. :)

9 hours ago, TarreBear said:

The Moderation Team has worked hard this month on getting war rules together which are currently under review.

Great work, Moderation Team!

Can anybody make a thread like this, with pages and such? This is cool.

1 hour ago, Demotheus said:

Can anybody make a thread like this, with pages and such? This is cool.

I believe so. There should be a little button that looks like a page/notepad