[✗] Gum Steel

BenDaMack

Intro:

The alloy known as Gum Steel was first created in the Fractured Plateau region by what is known as the Great Tree. The metals used to create it, found by clan Gurmazg deep under where they were building their fort. In an accidental mix of various metals, was forged a uniquely flexible and sturdy metal. But when mixed together these metals create a very strong and yet flexible alloy. This alloy is known only to Clan Gurmazg, however, the clan is willing to share or teach others about it, should someone find out about this not-so-closely guarded secret.

Description:

This alloy is a mix of various metals, found deep in the terracotta. It is made up of  common metals and so is not too difficult to create so long as you have gathered the right amount of each. Depending on the results desired the composition of this alloy can change. For example, with a larger amount of one can cause the alloy to be significantly more flexible while losing quite a bit of durability in the process. A larger amount of another may cause higher durability while losing flexibility. Not only does the composition effect how this alloy comes out but heat is also a major factor. if given cold treatment it will be more flexible. A combination of these can be used in which it is given cooling treatment and then heated a bit and this will increase flexibility while also increasing its durability.

This alloy is primarily used for weapon smithing, this alloy can only be used in some weapons as in others it is impractical. In weapons such as a spear or a glaive it is highly useful as it can easily be manipulated around shields to pierce a target and then easily pulled back out. These weapons are extremely difficult to make glance off of something, as they can take the resistance and bend slightly to compensate, continuing the strike and being able to slip past scales and studded leather quite easily. This does mean that they have reduced penetrating power on more solid objects, as they cannot deliver as powerful a punch on one specific location, instead bending slightly if they manage to get lodged in somewhere, or simply delivering the strike as a blunt force through the object as it flexes to maintain the strike.

This alloy is fairly easy to weld. In order to weld this alloy one would place the amount of each metal wanted to be used in a crucible they would then be set to a slow melt in order for the metals to properly mix together. Once the metals are melted through and mixed it would be poured into the cast it would then be given either heat treatment or cold treatment In order to get desired effects.

Redlines:

• Reproducing identical batches is extremely difficult, to the point of insanity due to the nature of the alloy’s creation requiring extreme precision for replication.

• Overheating the metal makes it more brittle.

• Practically useless for blunt weapons as it is far too springy, or sometimes brittle, to make solid strikes against armor or follow through with an attack substantially with a lower PSI of force.

• It is extremely impractical for use in structures, as it would likely buckle under the weight of itself and whatever it is supporting.

• It is not able to be used for tool smithing because the flexibility of the alloy would cause the tool, whatever it may be, to not be sturdy enough to withstand use.

• Reforging and mending Gum Steel objects with separate batches will weaken them, as the differential of the density and tensile strength slowly makes certain areas more brittle or too flexible, eventually leading to the item being unusable as it either snaps or bends out of shape.

• Objects longer than 1.4 metres, and thinner than 5mm are too flexible or brittle to make a rough impact with something without becoming misshapen or breaking.

• Refining the metal is extremely difficult, and failing to properly go through the required steps will likely ruin the batch.

• Every blend of Gum Steel has a different set of temperatures and conditions needed for refinement into a proper batch, making the process extremely difficult and only succeeds one out of every 20 tries.

Edited by BenDaMack
Now is made up from metals found deep within the terracotta, dont ask which ones that is too complex for my orc brain

I like the idea but maybe i found this hard to read maybe format the sentence structure a little more and a lack of Specific Red Lines would mean that it may not get applied.

tho the idea is a good one and it would be nice to get some more RP alloys on the Server.

I’m frankly not sure how practical bendy steel would be, as wouldn’t it be rendered useless upon contact with any kind of substantial armor? Also, the formatting is very poor on this one. Not to mention that, most of those elements would not great bendy steel regardless, and titanium is very difficult to obtain and process especially with the tech levels of LotC. I’m gonna have to give this a -1 from me, chief

Edited by MangoArt

1 hour ago, MangoArt said:

I’m frankly not sure how practical bendy steel would be, as wouldn’t it be rendered useless upon contact with iron? Also, the formatting is very poor on this one. Not to mention that, most of those elements would not great bendy steel regardless, and titanium is very difficult to obtain and process especially with the tech levels of LotC. I’m gonna have to give this a -1 from me, chief

Actually, flexible metals have a variety of uses in medieval times and in our modern age. Also, Titanium and Iron make a real life equivalent.

Currently helping reformat and get the redlines in one place

I’m a majorly proponent of mineral lore, always will be a major proponent of it. My only issue with your lore is the formatting, brother. 
Once you clean up the font and space out some things and indent some I’m certain this’ll get received a ton better. Regardless formatting, I enjoyed the read. Good on you.

I'm mostly indifferent but Aluminium is impossible to obtain currently on LoTC as it's more reactive then carbon so forge heating doesn't work

What's up with crafting RPers and space age tech?

Extracting aluminium from its bauxite ore requires electrolysis, which we don’t have access to.

So how do you propose that one refines aluminium to create gum steel?

This lore has been denied as per this thread: click me. 2 weeks were given to reformat and correct the submission to match the current criteria, which were not done.

If you believe this is a mistake (as this was a big sweep, yours may have been overlooked), please contact me over the forums here: click me.