Hun'Zna - Orcish Martial Art

TheNanMan2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQ5CYE1VZw

Hûn’Zna

Lore extension and Addition

“Martial Arts are codified systems and traditions of combat. The term is derived from Latin and means “Arts of Mars” The Roman God of War…”

(Thank you _Jandy_ for allowing me to expand and update the original, amazing Hun’Zna lore-piece you made)

63beacacb25a6c4ea3429bdc1411c742.jpg

giphy.gif

History of Hun’Zna

Orcs’ bodies are evolved, conditioned and bred for combat. An Orc’s worth is determined by his ability to fight, and their society has been built upon a Warrior culture.  To an Orc, strength, size and determination are the key traits for a Warrior, although to the members of Clan Gorkil, skill and prowess counters all. Ugluk, Gorkil’s third born son and famed for his skill as a Warrior stands as the bastion of all combat-orientated Clansmen, and it was under him that Hun’Zna was born.  Ugluk, although physically dominant in his own right, was not as big as his father, Gorkil, and certainly not Rax, but he didn’t have the brains of his brother, Angbad, and didn’t have the savinness of his other brother, Azog. As such, he took up the role of a Warrior. Thanks to his physical traits, he stood out from the other Orcs, but he would never take the lime-light from Rax.  Unwilling to settle for being looked over, he sought out the Shamans until one suggested a Spirit that may help. Vulka, the Spirit of Siegecraft, Strategy and Warfare had a lesser in her realm who had not yet been discovered. Maukumgoth, the Spirit of Martial Arts and Combat, had hoped that an Orc would travel to his realm for a long time. Ugluk did not have to spend long communing with the Farseer before Maukumgoth reached out and contacted them.  With that connection, the Farseer took Ugluk to his realm. Perhaps they had expected a wartorn land, a battlefield or cold and dark room filled with heavily scarred and fearsome Orcs, although instead they found some of the weakest races from their own world. Elves, Humans, even Halflings, but not an Orc in sight.

giphy.gif

His realm was peaceful and serene.  Ugluk feared he had been tricked, but he had no choice but to continue forward, walking through a peaceful garden and arriving in a large hall with a padded floor, punching bags, training equipment and four people sat down on a large mat.  One was an Elf, a Human, another a halfling, but the 4th, at the centre and behind them, was a large Orc. Moving forward, as soon as he stepped on the mat, the Human rushed at him. Before Ugluk could take up a stance, the Human shot forward onto his front knee, slid his rear foot forward and his shoulder collided into him, wrapping his arms around his legs and lifting him into the air before slamming him off the mat with a double-leg takedown.  The Human then immediately moved back, sat down and the Elf looked over Ugluk sternly. Letting out a grumble, Ugluk moved forward, back on the mat for the Elf to then rush forward. Ugluk this time knew what to expect, and lowered his hands to receive the takedown, but instead the Elf feinted a takedown, then quickly sprang up with an over-hand right, connected with his jaw, then landing a left uppercut and finished off with a leap in the air, kicking his right leg back and firing his right fist forward, colliding with his face in a superman punch.  Ugluk, yet again, fell back off the mat and onto the floor. Angered, and a bloodlust beginning to boil, rushed forward. The halfling then moved forward. Ugluk stopped in his tracks and braced, not knowing what to expect, however the Halfling surprisingly laid on his back right in front of him. After a moment, Ugluk moved forward and sent his fist for the Halfling’s face, only to be halted by a foot on his hip, then another foot slamming into his ankle, sliding his foot back and causing him to fall to 1 knee. Before he could pull back his arm, the Halfing wrapped his arm around it, then pressed his foot besides his collapsed knee and throwing him heavily over that foot with a leg against the side of his chest on the other side, flipping him over with a scissor sweep.  Falling on his side, Ugluk tried to stand, although before he got up very far he felt a yank on his arm and a leg swing over and pin against his chest, then another slide over his lower chest. Struggling, he’d slowly stumble up to his feet, however the halfling hung from his arm and began to pull back and push his hips forward. Ugluk didn’t have time to slam him to the ground before his elbow fuzed with pain as the joint was about to pop out, and he tapped quickly to the Halfling's armbar. The halfling immediately let go and returned to the trio. Filled with anger and shame, he looked to the Orc with a lowered head, obviously not willing to fight another skilled fighter, but this time equal in strength, speed and endurance. About to leave, considering himself unworthy, the Orc spoke “Lat’z azh’zt lezzon ov humility iz komplete.  Return tomorruw agh wi zhall begin teachin’”. Ugluk said nothing else as he thought about what to do. But it didn’t take long for him to decide he would study this art until he met the grave.

giphy.gif

Introduction

Hun’Zna is the method and style of combat taught within Clan Gorkil, passed down by it’s original master, Ugluk the Third born of Gorkil.  It’s use can be used by any type of fighter or race, from Halfling to Olog, with specific areas of the martial art being especially effective for certain fighters.  The utmost amount of focus is placed on pure efficiency and constant improvement. Tradition has no place inside the art, and it’s masters are expected to constantly fight and challenge other masters, including those from other nations with other styles.  Before a fighter becomes a teacher they make a vow on Ugluk and Maukumgoth to demonstrate any technique in live sparring if doubted, and to never refuse a challenge from another martial art. A practitioner of Hun’Zna must hold proficiency in every form of unarmed combat and from there they may choose which to focus on.

giphy.gif

Grading

A practitioner will wear a Burzol’Nak, a hemp rope, on a specific area of their body to roughly display their proficiency.  Where the rope is tied is dependant on if they display the most aptitude in either Mauk, tied to the waist, Grush, the upper arm, or Glim, below the knee. In the same order, Grappling, Striking and Wrestling. The rope changes in colour as the practitioner’s aptitude increases, going in order as follows (IRL time):
Grey - 1 week minimum

Orange - 2 weeks minimum

Brown - 1 month minimum

Green - 2 months minimum

Black - 3 months minimum

Blue - 4 months minimum

Red - 6 months minimum

(IRL practitioning of MMA, or a martial art that covers all the 3 forms can skip the practitioner into an appropriate colour)

giphy.gif

The Three Forms

Mauk’Zna - Grappling

The method of fighting whilst on the ground, transitioning into superior positions, sweeping your target to put them on their back or latching onto them and then submitting with strikes or a submission.

giphy.gif

Grush’Zna - Striking

The method of fighting with your limbs to strike the opponent in any way, such as knees, elbows, punches and kicks.  The practitioner may also make use of light wrestling and clinches to supplement their strikes.

giphy.gif

Glim’Zna - Wrestling

The method of fighting in which the practitioner takes the opponent to the ground and defends takedowns in any way they can, such as tripping, picking up and slamming, hip-tosses, tackles and dragging.  This form is considered extremely important in order for the fighter to dictate where they want to take the fight, either to the ground or staying standing.

giphy.gif

Joining a Gym

For an Orc to join a gym of Hun’Zna, called the Tail-dâr by practitioners, an Orc must seek a blue or red Burzol’Nak combatant and join their teachings.  Sometimes an aspiring fighter will have to complete a task, or a trial.  Other times they are simply taught, with the process itself of learning the art as a trial.  Either way, those capable of teaching are most often public knowledge, and their gyms often being somewhere seen by many.

giphy.gif

Codes of the Art

Hun’Zna is praised and held with honour amongst those who study it.  Seen as a direct, tangable blessing from Maukumgoth, learning it’s way is as cherished as Shamanism and all it’s forms.  As such, before someone undergoes their lessons, they must swear an oath;

Code of the Initiate: I swear, (name), to follow the path of Maukumgoth in learning the art of Hun’Zna with honour and integrity.  May my body be a vessel of his knowledge, and my instinct directed by his teachings.  All challengers who wish to test my form shall not leave the arena unbloodied, nor shall my techniques remain untested with full veracity.

(Taken by those about to receive their first lesson)

Code of the Fighter: I swear, (name), to continue the path of Maukumgoth in learning the art of Hun’Zna with honour and integrity.  May my art remain effective, and the lessons I learn shape my for my future self.  My ego shall remain dulled by my humble defeat against my masters.  Challengers have fell to my skill, and myself have fallen to my own flaws.

(Taken by those after receiving the brown Burzol’Nak)

Code of the Master: I swear, (name), to continue the path of Maukumgoth in learning the art of Hun’Zna with honour and integrity.  May my art be passed on with honest intention and in praise to our ultimate master.  In teaching this art, I acknowledge my still present flaws, and strive to find solution with passing on my knowledge.  May those who benefit from my experience in turn grant me new perspective and challenge.

(Taken by those after receiving the blue Burzol’Nak)

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb238307455503336

Spoiler

dP2fhod7pzA4KSmAPv1KvRZyjdLOgvhiuUZ34Fs1

MtRG-TkicC6TgpU5uClo6c2MkxO8MumFotBur2Fp

aR7i-bUadFg23fr6kV2bIgJ0uGDZguuryuNScOni

Y6qH_S4z8NlhTY3mWw4Q9HzmIXBHwTtzM4OFbbeN

CaVyxFyeK9uKCCgEV5sbIeWBkumHtCI_lXs5QYsD

mdH9T5W1HZK6335tcCBiqlO7deNA9EGMBC6UgAeH

SKwFEtcWYAi-rCX_Die35kpB8AahqLOxoghk3e7g

cnXyWDO2T1f7J_dLmn23ShjnDPMm3djp5yPv7x_m

8XGlH2xs7GGGGvvqwrbmCp-m54K2zRJx7c-eDr-2

aFH7ioYl_-gIrfm1Uk-hvEGZ6NOT-FMtRPjhkVXS