[Your View] Magic & Combat

GodEmperorFlam

Magic & Combat  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe combat magics (magics that focus on combative spells) should exist?

2. 2. If you voted N or O above, do you believe that magics should have combat spells at all?

3. 3. Do you believe that the current parameters (found below) for a spell are good?

• I believe the current parameters are good.
    • I believe the current parameters are bad, they are too harsh on combat spells.
    • I believe the current parameters are bad, they are not harsh enough on combat spells.
  4. 4. Do you believe magics should be able to create interesting roleplay outside of combat?

• I believe a magic should be able to create interesting roleplay in any major niche, such as day to day rp or in combat.
    • I believe a magic that focuses on one niche, such as a combat magic, is fine.
    • Other (reply below).
  5. 5. Do you believe that a magic should have a distinct purpose for existing?

• I believe that a magic is fine if it’s being used by people, purpose or not.
    • I believe that a magic should have a purpose that the mage must carry out to ensure RP is created.
    • Other (reply below).
  6. 6. Do you believe that enchantments should be rarer/limited?

• Yes, I believe that enchantments should be rarer/limited.
    • No, I believe enchantments should be more common.
    • No, I believe enchantments are fine as is.
    • Other (reply below).
  7. 7. Do you believe that the number of enchantments that a person can use in a combat encounter should be limited?

• Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1-3 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1-5 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • No, I believe a person should be able to use as many enchantments as they can carry in-game.
    • Other (reply below).

Biggest problem with magic is the players, but we can't directly change how bad the players are.

Don't give people the ability to hold knives unsupervised if they're going to just cut themselves or things around the house they shouldn't.

I’d like someone to actually address the current situation of Izkuthii, or however you actual spell these. I find that these have over-all been forgotten, and are, as it stands, immortal. I could literally tear it’s head off and it would regrow in a few emotes. And unless I’m wrong, only damaging the heart can destroy these, though I’ve already heard the “hahahah lemme just put magical blood orcish steel around it”. 

6 minutes ago, Jentos said:

I’d like someone to actually address the current situation of Izkuthii, or however you actual spell these. I find that these have over-all been forgotten, and are, as it stands, immortal. I could literally tear it’s head off and it would regrow in a few emotes. And unless I’m wrong, only damaging the heart can destroy these, though I’ve already heard the “hahahah lemme just put magical blood orcish steel around it”. 

God, I hope you’re just ******* with us.

9 hours ago, Vindicant said:

Maybe instead of nerfing everything to the ground, consider working with current lore-holders instead of holding their magic and work hostage with the threatening of shelving. If there is a glaring issue to a magic (not that I don’t think this is you just trying to gak all combat magic because for some reason you seem to want to do that) then you should discuss that with the lore holder instead of just saying ‘fix this or ur magic byebye’. It really makes it disheartening for anyone trying to write lore, knowing that at any point in the future it could be gutted or destroyed by your whims and your own personal opinions. The poll has shown that for the most part, the server is fine with how magic is. About the only thing I think should be changed is making sure people don’t walk around with 5000 artifact enchantments to make them effectively unbeatable.

Stop trying to gut magic into slice-of-life. Work with the loreholders instead of holding them hostage.

preach

Frankly, I find most magic on lotc great. To me it feels unique, interactive and fun. The only real unenjoyable interactions I’ve had with magic users are when people try to hoard every magic, buy their way into the ‘endgame’ tiers of a magic (which are stupid) and so on- in essence, when people try to win because they think that’s the only way to have fun.

Yeah, some lotc magics have a few problems of their own, (Unclear guidelines on voidal connection & a magic’s limits, voidal weakness being ignored, enchantments being busted, and so on), but I feel like what lots of people in this thread go on about (”shelf all voidal evocations” “shelf x dark/holy magic” “x magic is too common”) is just players failing to give their characters depth and instead falling into these cliches so they can better fit into a certain magic.

And that brings me to the solution: have lore holders better moderate their communities. Make sure people don’t just fall into stupid, boring cliches which spread boring, one-sided characters who just so happen to use x magic to strengthen that character’s one outstanding trait. Instead of wiping stuff away every time it goes bad, go to the root of the problem and drive players who refuse to do any character development away. When the character’s bad, the magic they use looks stupid; when the character’s good, the magic they use looks fun.

22 hours ago, XFrostgamingX said:

I believe magic is fine where it is, because if your just a plain ole’, for example, fire evocationist and you run into a olog-Or anyone- that is proficient in combat, they are probably going to get to break your concentration before you can finish the spell, dispersing the spell at that.

Fire evocationsts are proficient in combat too. Just PvP, jesus. 

I believe that magic is too common yet you can almost never find a teacher. What I mean is that I think one race (druids) should be proficient in magic, not anyone who gets a high tier and that they should be able to go to tier 5 whilst everyone else could only do tier 4 perhaps? Because druids don’t have much power with everyone having magic. ?

1. I think that magic should be focused on RP so combat magic doesn’t exist except on weapons and such, in other words, so that combat magic can be used outside of battle ?

On 5/4/2019 at 10:17 PM, Temp said:

God, I hope you’re just ******* with us.

I’m not. Though the worst part is realizing that there will likely be no modification to this due to their creator literally being the leader of the lore team. 

I do not really have an issue with magic as is, but it is so damn common. Everybody and their grandma is a spell-slinging magical maestro.

its not very christian to build your character to be the gandalf of lord of the craft, i see this as powergaming since almost everyone that does magic seems for some reason to have the ultimate powers or the strongest magic... idk but i don’t think that having the strongest magic and overpowering other people should be the go-to for anyone playing any roleplaying setup.

edit: also can u plise cchange ur pfp its very ofensive you’re mocking a genius as a clown itsk inda similiar but ofensive ok

On 5/6/2019 at 2:52 AM, Loshdesem_Alchemist said:

I believe that magic is too common yet you can almost never find a teacher. What I mean is that I think one race (druids) should be proficient in magic, not anyone who gets a high tier and that they should be able to go to tier 5 whilst everyone else could only do tier 4 perhaps? Because druids don’t have much power with everyone having magic. ?

1. I think that magic should be focused on RP so combat magic doesn’t exist except on weapons and such, in other words, so that combat magic can be used outside of battle ?

Might I politely and wholeheartedly disagree. 

Firstly, while there is a lack of  willing teachers, it’s also up to the role-player seeking the magic to pave a path for such to happen. And while I’m guilty of this too, it’s not a wise idea to go around asking for magic, it can make the teacher seem more like a tool than an ally or friend. Some people simply RP with a teacher to get the magic and once they do, they forget about the teacher completely. It’s always a good idea to have substantial RP with a potential teacher, and even after learning the magic, still maintain a fair relationship with them ICly and OOCly.  

Secondly, magic combat RP is fine the way it is. While some tend to abuse it, it most definitely makes RP much more interesting and many mages role-play their magic correctly. Removing that would be a huge loss one both sides of the battle and make fights seem much more bland and boring. I mean, wouldn’t you rather be hurling a fireball at a dangerous foe from a distance instead of charging headfirst with a sword? Hopefully some day you’ll see what I mean.

I have been on several staff teams including magic and lore and I know that it takes for ******* ever to reach verdicts sometimes because volunteers just don’t read what they vote on. 

This magic rework has taken way too long but I am confident that it could be beneficial. I suggest doing away with the “lore games” and instead follow the “May Magic Update Plan”

Week 1&2: Solidify what infomation a magic needs in order to be viable and release it to the community.

Week 3: Release which magics need the most work in a tier based system and then start a your view for each magic. Community should get a final say before teams are formed to tackle each lore piece WITH the assistance of the staff.

Weeks 4+: Submit drafts to community. Let them have a say. 

Not sure why this “lore games” are happening and why player lore is being held hostage when the team that was supposed to deal with it have been saying “soon” since last year. I personally have asked monthly about updates, magic information, release dates, feedback, and while I have gotten a few answers I haven’t been given anything that would suggest I can actually proceed eith a rewrite. I know I am personally not going to rewrite my magic lore just to have to re-rewrite it after the information is finally released to us.

TLDR; Quit stalling and give the writers the information they need. No need for games. Just the concise new ruleset. 

Self Input because ? upvotes

But yeah, I think that LotC magic shouldn’t have to fight against rapids to get into the server, I mean Necromancy has literally been lost, all the actual Necromancers I know have p much-left the server and have little to no intention of coming back seeing how you shelved their only source of roleplay for over a year now

I also think you’re moving a bit too fast, you’re starting up conversations like these when the other 90 magic and stuff still hasn’t started, I mean Alchemy started it’s ‘overhaul’ back at Dunstan’s work on ‘core, variables, regent strength’ works back in August 2018

It’s now the 8th of may and the one thing I wanted to do on this map I still cannot do, and that’s an appalling thing that has turned me into a hellbent toxic cretin

I have to agree with what other people say in that, for the most part, it’s the people that are the ones that make magic be perceived as some type of overpowered monstrosity. Even overpowered magic I believe at least can have a place on the server. It’s a matter of giving these magics to players that are willing, able, and have shown aptitude in creating environments where these powers can be used to express complex and enjoyable roleplay. The issue I found is that people are naturally lazy and rely on others to provide this good roleplay. This is for many reasons, that being that for the most part, the casting process of magic is monotonous, often times it feels like a chore to charge up magic and follow the pre-established flow of casting a spell. However, it is the players' duty to express emotion through their magic emotes, it is not at the fault of the lore. If people used common sense they could deduct what realistically is acceptable when casting magic, even blurring the line at some points is fine as long as it makes sense.

In terms of the actual application of combat magic, no it should not be made into a uniform and restrictive spell list. People that roleplay magic for genuine reasons enjoy it because of the freeform nature of it, even combative magic. Additionally, I don’t believe magic should be placed on the same level as mundane weaponry. The argument that players invest 6 months+ into practicing magic vs players picking up a sword and being a master (Which goes against the rules of the server) is a valid one. The fact that players must constantly practice their magic and hone their skills in it is what separates it from mundane combat.