[Your View] Magic & Combat

GodEmperorFlam

Magic & Combat  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe combat magics (magics that focus on combative spells) should exist?

2. 2. If you voted N or O above, do you believe that magics should have combat spells at all?

3. 3. Do you believe that the current parameters (found below) for a spell are good?

• I believe the current parameters are good.
    • I believe the current parameters are bad, they are too harsh on combat spells.
    • I believe the current parameters are bad, they are not harsh enough on combat spells.
  4. 4. Do you believe magics should be able to create interesting roleplay outside of combat?

• I believe a magic should be able to create interesting roleplay in any major niche, such as day to day rp or in combat.
    • I believe a magic that focuses on one niche, such as a combat magic, is fine.
    • Other (reply below).
  5. 5. Do you believe that a magic should have a distinct purpose for existing?

• I believe that a magic is fine if it’s being used by people, purpose or not.
    • I believe that a magic should have a purpose that the mage must carry out to ensure RP is created.
    • Other (reply below).
  6. 6. Do you believe that enchantments should be rarer/limited?

• Yes, I believe that enchantments should be rarer/limited.
    • No, I believe enchantments should be more common.
    • No, I believe enchantments are fine as is.
    • Other (reply below).
  7. 7. Do you believe that the number of enchantments that a person can use in a combat encounter should be limited?

• Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1-3 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • Yes, I believe a person should only be able to use 1-5 enchantment per combat encounter.
    • No, I believe a person should be able to use as many enchantments as they can carry in-game.
    • Other (reply below).

On 5/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, Tornado_ said:

Magic should be more rare to find. Every other person I have encountered knows some sort of Evocation or Magic.

Agreed, but this is never going to happen due to the very nature of the way magic is spread on LOTC – The fact that players learn magic off each other means that there are tons of players who are just learning magic by asking their friends to teach them it OOCly, via Discord or some such. I have always completely stayed away from any OOC stuff like this and always have when it comes to any RP I’ve done on server and as such it took me over a real life year to learn Fire Evo on my character, doing it strictly through RP. 

On paper, it works fine if people aren’t meta-gaming it – but it feels like almost everyone is. That’s because nobody wants to look around ICly for a year. I have no idea why I did it legitimately, I had many many chances to just ask people OOCly but never did, not sure why, there wouldn’t have been a consequence. It is more convenient for players to gain access to magic by OOC meta-play whilst on server, there are very very few organisations/groups/schools/guilds that are a) active and b) allowing players into the fold.

Whether or not all of this is a bad thing is up to you. 

Regarding magic in general, I think that due to the fact there exists so many schools of magic, a completely factual database of redlines and rules for each individual magic type needs to be created somewhere, with the magic staff signing off on it or creating/gathering the information for it themselves. I have no idea whether the various topics on the forums such as ‘Fire Evocation Guide’ you find around are fully legitimate, accurate, or even up-to-date. Many in-game books and things like that clash with the guides on the forums.

This would be a very daunting task for the staff though and I’m not sure it would happen. It is just extremely difficult to know when a player is powergaming their magic or not because the redlines are quite difficult to be fully aware of. I have seen some magic RPers in pretty prominent positions such as court mages, etc.  completely break redlines for their magic such as creating shapes with fire evocation without knowledge of primordial conjuration, and so on. This only really matters in combat RP, of course.

Artwinkle.jpg