[✗] [Magic Lore][FEAT] - Conduits of the Ethereal

bickando

Conduits of the Ethereal

Background/Origin:

Pained realities often give birth to whimsical fantasies. The unfortunate side effects of large rifts, powerful as they may be, have cautioned many an aspiring wizard against their creation. It has not, however, stopped the forward march of magic research, and a penultimate wish of the Magi - the creation of permanently evoked magics. It didn’t really work, but hey, it was worth an effort.

Magic Explanation:

Functionally, it can be thought of as an extension of enchanting, wherein the source is the point and the ability is the permanently-activated output. The point requires the Mage for upkeep, as it does drain a nonzero amount of mana from the Mage over the course of its prolonged existence.

The theory behind it is such; a sufficiently powerful mage with knowledge of the Void can create utilize their comprehension and improved focus to bring into the world a feat that would, in any grand, affective sense, require circling. They can make their lives a little easier, giving somewhat tangible benefits to years of hard research outside of shooting their enemies with bigger fireballs.

Description:

They are points in existence, fabricated, bound. Miniscule, infinitesimal, rifts forced into being, bound into place themselves by magics. The most infamous of these abilities, and the most commonly-used, is the Mage-Light - its low mana consumption and ease of visibility takes little energy, little enough that the excess can be used in conjunction with other magics to form permanent works of art. In the homes of accomplished Voidal Magi, it is thus common to see floating candle-lights or wispy arcane art, dancing about the room.

Tier Progression:

T1: A single Shard can be created, with great effort, though the shards will collapse within one RP hour.

T2: Two Shards can be created at a time, with strain, that will collapse in one IRL Day. Mage Lights can be bound to the shard, but will disperse along with it when it collapses. If one binds a Mage Light to the shard, it will collapse faster.

T3: Up to five permanent Shards can be created, the prerequisite being that the Shards are bound to a magic of some kind (Mage Light, etc.). Spells can be set on basic, pre-made patterns, such as a slowly circling ball of Mage Light instead of a static one.

200?cb=20140422090643

T4: Up to 10 can be created, with the same prerequisites. Can be used to make greater feats of art through the use of other magics, such as floating clouds, and can be used to host multiple magics at once, such as both mage lights and arcane art wisps.

T5: A theoretically infinite amount can be made. Enough to decorate a city, one might imagine.

Red Lines:

1. For a shard to be permanent, it must be bound to a spell of some kind.

2. Can be warded. If the voidal magic it is bound to is warded, the rift also dissipates.

3. Always unstable enough that, should something physically touch it, it would collapse.

4. You can’t put things in it, or it’ll collapse the moment you try.

5. Can’t be moved once placed.

6. Any magics bound to it cannot be altered nor can their patterns be controlled to be different once completed. Example: You make a ball of water. That ball of water is now stuck sitting there, forever, until it’s touched. Then, because physical touch will collapse the spell, it poofs.

7. It can, however, be set to activate on certain environmental parameters, such as a room being too dusty, and your broom automatically sweeping it, or it being dark out, and therefore the mage light glows a little brighter. Any activation based on environmental parameters cannot have any combat purposes.

8. Can only be bound to Voidal Spells. Any magics bound to it cannot have any combat purposes.

9. Cannot be used for combat in any way, given the concentration and juggling of abilities required to create it.

10. Cannot be bound to Earth Evocation.

11. Can be bound to Domesticated Magic, excluding Pick Lock, Force Lock.

12. Cannot be bound to magics targeted at specific people (such as an illusion magic that would only hit, say, Prince Omar Grimmer’Lak).

13. Cannot touch the ground. Magics bound to rift also cannot touch the ground.

14. Requires prior T3 Progression in Translocation or Transfiguration OR T3 Progression in another Voidal Magic and knowledge of Transfiguration or Translocation (i.e. enough to abjure, if one had Transfiguration).

15. No combat uses allowed.

16. No loopholing to try to come up with a reason why it could be used for combat.

17. Can be bound to expanded auras or the side effects of such (i.e. smoky energy in a room or something).

Purpose:

I want to be able to decorate my house and do noncombat RP with fewer restrictions. I want a powerful mage to be able to fill a sky with glass panes and lights if they want.

TL;DR:

Create Tiny Rift

Use Tiny Rift to Create Noncombat Magic Art Piece

Bind Tiny Rift to Noncombat Magic Art Piece

Profit

Citations:

Spoiler

I'm thoroughly confused by this piece. I read it twice and still dont exactly know what it is about. 

All I know is this is way to little information and or detailed to just create small or large rifts to conjure light and have it placed. Really I can see this already able to be done as it is with the current form of magic.

If you want some help in writing, feel free to message me, you have my discord.

Guys, we reached the point where magelight lore needs 17 redlines and 5-tier-descriptions.

Redlines shouldn’t be longer than the lore-text itself. From what I gathered this is basically an extension to transfiguration that allows an individual to bind spells to the world without the need of some type of physical conduit. If that is what this is I feel like all these redlines and tiers are unnecessary. Given this, I feel like the lore is way too specific to fulfill a specific niche, and while it is a good concept I feel like the actual lore explanation is lacking. If this is just creating atomic sized rifts to fuel spells without a physical conduit, why can’t this be used simultaneously with certain types of magic? It seems like redlining earth evocation is just an OOC method of preventing people from building random things. But it lacks an IC reasoning for this, as how the magic is described (As limited as it is) it wouldn’t make sense. 

Edit: I do like the concept however, it’s something people have been wanting to do for a long time and I think it’s something this server should have had a long time ago.

Edited by Booklight12

5fd.gif

On 5/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, Jenny_Bobbs said:

I'm thoroughly confused by this piece. I read it twice and still dont exactly know what it is about. 

All I know is this is way to little information and or detailed to just create small or large rifts to conjure light and have it placed. Really I can see this already able to be done as it is with the current form of magic.

If you want some help in writing, feel free to message me, you have my discord.

Yes, it’s a very detailed tiny rift magic for magic emplacements. No, you cannot currently do it.

23 hours ago, Booklight12 said:

Redlines shouldn’t be longer than the lore-text itself. From what I gathered this is basically an extension to transfiguration that allows an individual to bind spells to the world without the need of some type of physical conduit. If that is what this is I feel like all these redlines and tiers are unnecessary. Given this, I feel like the lore is way too specific to fulfill a specific niche, and while it is a good concept I feel like the actual lore explanation is lacking. If this is just creating atomic sized rifts to fuel spells without a physical conduit, why can’t this be used simultaneously with certain types of magic? It seems like redlining earth evocation is just an OOC method of preventing people from building random things. But it lacks an IC reasoning for this, as how the magic is described (As limited as it is) it wouldn’t make sense. 

Edit: I do like the concept however, it’s something people have been wanting to do for a long time and I think it’s something this server should have had a long time ago.

I actually put the Earth Evo lore because in my head, I figured someone would try to prepare beforehand some form of pebble drop that hits someone, and then would say that the force is applied before the pebble disappears, and thus make it possible to utilize in ways it shouldn’t be able to. If you have any possible ideas on it, let me know!

Also, most of the redlines are to prevent specific loopholes I saw as possible given the framework. If I didn’t think people would try to abuse it, I wouldn’t have thrown so many in.

Edit: I also have to use the tiers and such in the modern framework, or it’ll be insta-rejected for not following it. I wish I could’ve just pushed out the single spell like with Mage-Light, but that’s illegal now.

7 hours ago, Zidoax said:

Just use torches lol

This is so I can make floating torches lol

This lore has been denied as per this thread: click me. 2 weeks were given to reformat and correct the submission to match the current criteria, which were not done.

If you believe this is a mistake (as this was a big sweep, yours may have been overlooked), please contact me over the forums here: click me.