May Community Newsletter

TarreBear

hT7FRn5FsU-QrbXNIjGDynUDhRrOzCYsJDMtToOz

The Month of May

Hello Everyone!

It’s been quite an eventful month, full of both adventures and controversies. Wars, a hot-topic of flaw-corrections, fine-tunings, and adjustments, has steered our attention this month.  In addition, our beloved technical staff pumped out a fully redesigned chat, friends, and tab system. We have released a comprehensive guide as well as informational posts about these changes, the links to which are found later in this newsletter. As we get fully into summer , we hope to release some fun community events and contests for you all to enjoy. So, keep and eye out for all of that fun stuff. Also, you may notice that the title of this post matches the title of the previous newsletter. I have decided to adjust the title so it reflects the month the newsletter pertains to. Now let’s get into it!

Notable News

The latest and greatest on Lord of the Craft.

Felt Cute In This Idk Might Delete Later

In response to growing awareness and concerns surrounding server optimization, the Tech team released an update centered around discussing TPS issues due to heightened player counts and the ongoing war. Some of their changes includes granular movement, an optimized chat, and other minute updates and changes. In addition to this, the Techs discussed 1.14 issues and concerns in potentially updating, stating that they would be able to update with greater ease than the update to 1.13. Finally, a quick clarification was released concerning the use of the /treq commend, explicitly stating that if the issue couldn’t be summed up in a sentence or two, that players should be posting a Bug report on the forums.

Voting Plugin Information

Following the recognition of a bug in which voting wasn’t properly rewarding players, the new Coder Textarea released an update about quick fixes to the milestone and voting issue. Firstly, a system to refresh the timer on milestones was implemented, allowing for the use of /vote ms refresh to set the expiry time to twelve (12) hours. Secondly, a command to check the time until your milestones expire was added, allowing for the use of /vote list. And finally, a reminder was written about the now implemented chat changes, reminding users to be typing ‘#’ and not ‘/’ for chat commands.

A Follow Up

Released as an addition to a previous statement, this post from Fireheart discusses issues raised concerning the first warclaim of the currently ongoing war. The spawn killing, hacking, and alting issues were clarified and recognized. As such, the decision to re-do the warclaim was undone, and the defender’s victory stands.

Creative Cafe

Wednesdays Creative Cafe went really well and it was an enjoyable evening hearing, reading, and seeing so many members creative talents. From singing, to art, to someone trying to hit a bong for 30 seconds and fail - it was an exciting time. I would like to congratulate the winners of the evening and share some of the art that was shown!
Award for Vocals/Instrument: @Demotheus
Award for Art: @Nameless
Award for Writing: @ibraheemc2000

Spoiler

L5g0Mzy4FkYunINwgFEEY6o6tAKxNr-4Ur-e38BI 

By: BlueFox

elPIUKSp268CzsrCWyk-WWwSX7uoZO5RJwXe5HDt

By: Doom321

2YCsZqA9jUYiYgo2rE8FPW9EpIfDHwKi_X6xwT_6

By: Simochii                               

5OgCgzABYwDJZZjPYHweNPQL12oIGpknhopCGoIc

By: MrWithoutName

Community Meeting

I will be updating how community meetings will go moving forward. I will be posting a thread soon to allow people to ask questions as they come up throughout the month. I would like to have these meetings at the beginning of each month. Therefore, an announcement will be posted once a date has been decided upon where all speakers can attend.

Rescue Raid Update

Due to recent events and issues regarding rescue raids, there have been some updates to the rule set. Please ensure to read over the rules thoroughly!

Team Updates

The freshest scoop from the Admins themselves—learn all you can about your favorite teams.

Development Staff

The Development Staff are currently in the process of finalizing the structure and organization of their team, and will soon be receiving a new Administrator. The Technicians have continued to work on further optimizing the server, and the builders and designers have been making progress updating areas of the map that were left somewhat underdeveloped post launch. In addition, one of the coders, Wrynn, has been working on a botany plugin which he has been showcasing recently that is soon to come. Check it out! https://youtu.be/uanIi9YZ7-o

Moderation Staff

The Moderation Staff this month have been working on making adjustments to the war rules and rescue rules. We will be pushing out more updates over the next month for a number of changes including updated ban protocol. Overall this past month has been extremely busy for the team with well over 4000 tickets. In wake of summer coming in Moderation has brought on two new managers, Potts24 and Ioannis.  Currently the moderation team is looking for more people to join the team, if you are interested please apply.
Moderation Staff Update Log- May

Community Staff

The Community Staff have been primarily focusing inwardly on policy tweaks, structure modifications, and overall improvements to our projects and app handling procedures. On the topic of application, we are in the final stages of fleshing out the new application rework, that which was put out in the Community Staff’s most recent Your View, that should be getting implemented in the coming week(s).
CT Update Log - May 2019

Story Staff

The Story Staff are seeking more Story Actors (Event Staff) as was released in ScreamingDingo’s recent news update. In addition to this the Teaching Application system is undergoing minor tweaks due to concerns with its length, as the Lore Sect seeks to reach a healthy balance between being detailed and overdoing it. The Wiki sect and Community Staff managers/content creators are working together on the Wiki Overhaul, which seeks to usher the entire wiki into a totally updated state so that it can once again become a reliable and aesthetically appealing source.
Dingo Takes The Throne (ST-ACTORS NEEDED)

Trendy Feedback

Our crack team of gobos compiles, analyses, and critiques our feedback forums for the top-echelon of community suggestions. We’ve picked out some of the most unique, noteworthy, and civil articles from this month.

War is **** lol

A serious, despite the suggestive title, post that elaborated on ScreamingDingo’s opinions concerning player culture and behaviour around war and war-related activities. He highlights the OOC divisions created between players and player groups due to war, noting the lack of cooperation between nations, OOC conflict in the form of hatred, ddosing, and metagaming, as well as the great desire to wipe out an entire player base through war, instead of something less terminal. Creating a cooperative and mutually enjoyable experience is a key to breaking out of this negative mindset, however achieving something like this is never easy.

Doing Away with “Kill Posts”

Spawned from the current major war, Oren v. Renatus, a large number of “kill posts” have started to spring up following the in-game murder of a particular character, or group of characters. Hunwald’s concerns in discussing this issue center around it essentially forcing people to PK, or rather providing a great push for them to do so, when they retain the right not to. It is, as Hunwald writes, “. . . a weapon to shame player who did not PK; there is almost no greater purpose served by such a post.”

The Player Province

Community Spotlight

Bright, committed, and talented people fill our community. With the community spotlight, we highlight one individual that stands out this month. This player engages the laid-back attitude, charitable spirit, and proactive nature hailed in our community guidelines. For this reason, we congratulate them for their hard-earned achievements!

emmanataliya

A relatively new player to the server who has jumped head-first into interacting with our community on an IC and an OOC level. They currently play a High Elf character who lives and works in Haelun’or, the capital and nation of the High Elves, as a member of the Silver Council who organizes events in the city.

Interview

Hello emmanataliya, the Administration overhears much about your attitude and accomplishments. We would like to highlight you in this month’s community spotlight!

So considering how new you are, relative to how long LotC has been around, what kind of experiences have you had during your time getting heavily involved in High Elven roleplay and politics? Would you recommend getting heavily involved to other new players, and if so, why?

It has been really fun so far. I knew the idea of what I wanted to do for my character and I spent the first week getting to know the rp style of the high elves and server by testing out everything possible from a bit of villiany rp to watching medic rp. I would recommend getting heavily involved to anyone who at least knows a little bit of how to roleplay, at the end of the day if something happens to your character you know what to expect in the future so it is definitely a learning experience, just make sure you do not get attached to your character.

On the point of character attachment, do you self-impose a PK system? In the sense that if your character dies in roleplay, you permanently kill them? If this is the case, why do you believe it's important to PK, and would you recommend other players, new and old, follow that philosophy?

It depends on the situation for me. I am not going to PK my main character unless Haelun'or gets  taken over or she gets kicked out of Haelun'or since Monk Resurrections are apart of lore it should be utilized if you want your character to last a long time. On my other personas I will PK since I made those personas to do more outlandish villainy rp. I think everyone should eventually PK their character eventually though and have some sort of PK clause. ?

Harkening back to your roleplay as a Council Member in Haelun'or, what do you enjoy most about running events in the city, for the nation and visiting characters? Do you find it to be a fulfilling experience?

I just like bringing people together irp and ooc, it generates roleplay for people to want to come back to the city if they enjoy the events. For instance, I turned the infamous  acid pit of Haelun'or into a dance floor for Dimaethor, the nation leaders, 400th birthday. I like to get creative with making the roleplay so it is definitely fulfilling.

Outstanding Volunteer Award

We present this accolade to an exceptional staff member. We are honored and humbled that they choose our team and our server. And this month the award goes to...

Potts24

The staff award this month goes to Potts. This guy is an absolute mad man and has handled over 1000 modreqs this month. It’s literally insane and I can’t wrap my head around the thought of that. But with that being said I believe he definitely deserves the recognition for putting in so much time and effort into helping the community out this month. We thank you for all that you do!

5nhIJ_C5w83VRRHo-hyLkJxZQTcTN9lir3D_AKMV

Top VIP

The truth is that without the funds to cover our monthly costs we cannot support this wonderful experience. I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank you to our wonderful contributors. To the greatest VIP contributor this month we bid our humble gratitude and a spotlight in our newsletter.

Fiorire

This months Top VIP is Fiorire with purchase equivelent to purchasing Aether Vip! Your contributions are what helps keep this server up and running. We thank you and are very appreciative of your support to the server.

The Creative Quarter

Guide Spotlight

One way to lend a service to your community is the guide! Bold players write them for a targeted audience and share expertise, commentary, tips. We present to you a compelling, practical, and ambitious guide written this month!

Chat System Guide

This month there weren’t any player made guides to choose from. However, in preparation for the changes to the chat system, the Community Staff have put together this guide which lists all the commands and channels that the chat system changes feature. Please give it a read and if it doesn’t answer your question, don’t be afraid to make a /creq!

Roleplay Spotlight

When we think roleplay often we look to our fantastic Minecraft experience. Nonetheless! We are proud of you, our authors, who produce innumerable works—none the lesser, many are amusing, stimulating, and impactful. We’ve chosen one among the many creative posts this month.

The Settlement of Irrinor

This post showcases a new Wood Elven settlement that is being built up with the goal of being a peaceful safe haven for those within the Wood Elven community from the terrors that the war has brought.

Written by: @Will (TauFirewarrior)

Beyond the Stars

A beautifully written post detailing the last moments of an well known Ascended, Victoria Ventios, and her coming to peace knowing that her duties in this world have been fulfilled.

Written by: @JoelTheGinger

Overall, this month has been pretty intense with quite a lot going on. In the newsletters for the upcoming months I would like to feature some more spotlight sections for the creative contests we will begin hosting. In addition, we will be adding an Admin update section beginning next month. Special thanks to Luka for assisting me this month. Thank you all for reading and I hope you have a great start to the summer!

Have fun, take care, and thank you all,

LotC Administration

The art’s really good. We should show it off on the twitter or something

8 hours ago, Sporadic said:

The art’s really good. We should show it off on the twitter or something

Good suggestion, I just got back from work so will talk to Tarre about it.