The Pots n’ Pandits Project

Lukariatias

hA67NmZO3zVM5aQkrcvFjqYMxumJOXF5dp_itODsDGQEowKVDU9F-8ffKMqQHGoRryvzv78-5VpSUn8_gdUh7A8P3CdOZVpXKxZYzRSRYjtQFJ58ymUuoF-TlCWFG8q-CJVpXKjz

AVE8e5OBi_n180U08P6cZ5TzUh5BcVfhAsgzoZku4TfcyR_HpApf2NgZgpEFA0AFsTrdxG9JsdA_qYuFDwr7nyegmQc0x37f8EcERsjxKbWHxGX8g4PXNdz4kE4TSczgrE_Sj2w5

Pots n’ Pandits

Although retaining many of the original aspects that were involved in the AT’s iteration of the Pots n’ Pandits project, the project today seeks to broadly educate players on combat within LotC. Aside from specific sessions, whether requested or offered (as described below), Community Staff seeks to host monthly Pots n’ Pandits events, similar to those held in the past, to provide a fun OOC based event, and to further improve the CRP (combat-roleplay) of those who attend. So keep an eye out for posts welcoming you to attend!

Objective

The goal of Pots n’ Pandits is to try and educate players, new and old, on the functions and aspects of combat on LotC. Specifically, we seek to teach players about the forms of combat on LotC (CRP, PvP, and rolling), some of the rules surrounding combat (countdowns, status, and et cetera), and how to CRP (combat-roleplay) better than before with the specific intent of trying to teach people how to avoid powergaming, and how to use reasonable detail in emotes.

Contacting Us

If you feel that you could benefit from going through a session of Pots n’ Pandits, or if you feel that a player, new or old, could benefit from it, you are welcome to make a /creq ticket to request that a session be carried out. If the session request is not for you, be sure to include the player’s username who you feel could benefit, and try to concisely describe their specific issues.

So is this meant to teach people how to get better at CRP, or teach them how not to powergame and how CRP is usually done between players?

Anti-Bandit Lesson?

2 minutes ago, w_ill said:

So is this meant to teach people how to get better at CRP, or teach them how not to powergame and how CRP is usually done between players?

The end goal is to try and teach people how to get better at CRP, and combat in general. Part of that includes trying to teach people how to avoid powergaming, and understanding how combat functions across the board.

1 minute ago, Lukariatias said:

The end goal is to try and teach people how to get better at CRP, and combat in general. Part of that includes trying to teach people how to avoid powergaming, and understanding how combat functions across the board.

Imo I feel like it should be left up to the player for how to actually get better at CRP itself. Teaching them not to powergame is fine and all, but I don’t really see how the CT are going to teach people how to get better at CRP. I personally believe that it’s just something that will come with experience and time. I’ve been playing since Vailor, and back then I had no idea how to CRP at all, and now I at least have a basic understanding of how to CRP because I took the time to teach myself (and learn through RP based on the numerous CRP situations I’ve been part of.)

1 minute ago, w_ill said:

Teaching them not to powergame is fine and all, but I don’t really see how the CT are going to teach people how to get better at CRP

By understanding the basic components of good combat roleplay, a player can be left to make use of said parts to build themselves into a better roleplayer. All we seek to do is address some of the major issues that seem to be present within people who may be unfamiliar with roleplay, or our form(s) of combat roleplay, by touching on points that concern powergaming, detail, and et cetera.

Can you have the new players fight Gnomes in order to train them on CRP? Gnomes work pretty darn well for that purpose tbh.

*teaches new players how to combat roleplay based on scripts*

*new player comes across situation in arcas* 

*new player gets jumped by 8 orcs and sacrificed*

*new player panics and calls the orcs rule breakers because that's not how he learned*

*new player quits because lotc isnt what the CT made it out to be*

Nice. Instead of this, why don't you scrap this entire project and instead put your energy and materials towards working with the established nations to make sure players can get mentors when they log on for the first time. 

Edited by L0rdLawyer

watch them make this a requirement to appeal VB’s

On 6/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, L0rdLawyer said:

*new player panics and calls the orcs rule breakers because that's not how he learned*

Nice. Instead of this, why don't you scrap this entire project and instead put your energy and materials towards working with the established nations to make sure players can get mentors when they log on for the first time. 

or advertise lotc properly for gods sake

Because giving new players a crash course in a system that is, to the staff, too flexible to teach properly, to the extent where when these players actually experience any form of transient RP, they'll be completely hit out of the blue, is an amazing idea. Honestly, I'd call this a silly proposition. Why do we need to focus so much on player individuality and waste staff time when we could set up a 'buddy' system of sorts, and allow vetted, trustworthy players to help these new people, and show them the ropes of how an actual interaction works. Staff are, at least in my opinion, too much interacting with the mechanics of the server itself, to actually be able to give an informal education on how to function when these new players are on the ground. But those are just my thoughts.

On 6/16/2019 at 1:22 AM, L0rdLawyer said:

13 hours ago, Gloonkey said:

Because giving new players a crash course in a system that is, to the staff, too flexible to teach properly, to the extent where when these players actually experience any form of transient RP, they'll be completely hit out of the blue, is an amazing idea. Honestly, I'd call this a silly proposition. Why do we need to focus so much on player individuality and waste staff time when we could set up a 'buddy' system of sorts, and allow vetted, trustworthy players to help these new people, and show them the ropes of how an actual interaction works. Staff are, at least in my opinion, too much interacting with the mechanics of the server itself, to actually be able to give an informal education on how to function when these new players are on the ground. But those are just my thoughts.

I think what is important to clarify here is that the project does not focus on specific situations, but rather on how to properly make emotes during combat roleplay, how not to powergame and how to learn to be detailed in your emotes, to avoid confusion. Along with that, the project also goes over combat rules in general, something extremely important to learn.

I understand your concerns, but I think they are also due to misinformation, as the project does in fact focus more on teaching new players to combat roleplay in general, rather than only teaching them specific scenarios. Teaching players how to emote, how to avoid powergaming is something important, and that is what the project wants to achieve.

1 hour ago, Rave_Cave_marb said:

I think what is important to clarify here is that the project does not focus on specific situations, but rather on how to properly make emotes during combat roleplay, how not to powergame and how to learn to be detailed in your emotes, to avoid confusion. Along with that, the project also goes over combat rules in general, something extremely important to learn.

I understand your concerns, but I think they are also due to misinformation, as the project does in fact focus more on teaching new players to combat roleplay in general, rather than only teaching them specific scenarios. Teaching players how to emote, how to avoid powergaming is something important, and that is what the project wants to achieve.

Except that rules can be subjectively interpreted, and to teach CRP selectively in full to each player would be impossible without staff grinding to a halt. New players learn the rules just fine in the experiences I've seen. The only grievances are that some players are unable to properly acclimate and end up leaving. But I call that sorting the wheat from the chaff. Overall, if you want to teach players yourself, be my guest, but a drop of water will not change the taste or colour of an ocean.