Recovering the Ancient Elven Flower Language

LaffenOutLoud

(Credit to @Trinn for founding Tiva lore. Credit to @Sorairo, @Starfelt and @sophiaa for helping me develop this more. Credit to @Aethling for helping me give this more elven flair and for putting up with my anoyingness in general during the writing process of this.)

[!] The following book would be found in the Talus grove, Irrinor, Sutica and Agreothond. Scrolls instead were rolled up and delivered to notable Elven leaders and charters, containing the same text.

Tiva

Related image

The language of the mali is often misinterpreted as strictly elvish, leaving a language, an art, and a system of survival left forgotten and in the shadows. Our ancestors utilized simple wreaths to weave stories through flowers, guide travellers home, or warn the same travelers from danger. Wreaths were weaved with messages through flowers and delivered when mali’ame were not advanced enough to read and lived without cities. Centuries of war and Seeds migrating seemed to have separated the main line of Tiva, leaving fractions of the language and the ashes of its glory. From what my mother taught me, and learning by mali’ame around me and from books, it seems there are very few branches of the language that remain the same across all seeds and families from separate regions, if any knowledge still persists. I’ve done my best to put the pieces together and share the blank spaces in common knowledge with the knowledge of my seed. Unfortunately, it is impossible to fully recover the language, but as a culture, as a whole, we can use and revive the use of what we still know, so that our offspring do not lose our culture at the rate we’ve lost it. 

I am splitting the contents of this book into four chapters:

Tiva’lye – Self Identification Wreaths

Tiva’annil – Guiding Wreaths

Tiva’illern – Ritualistim/Ceremonial Wreaths 

Saner’tiva – Speaking with Tiva & Gift Wreaths

Image result for white floral transparent forum divider

~ Tiva’lye ~

Related image

Tiva’lye is the most commonly used branch of Tiva, worn by mali to denote facts about themselves and tell about their life, personality and family. The flowers are chosen from each category that applies and placed in a pattern which repeats throughout all worn wreaths.

True Calling

- Angrec -

Traditionally worn by druids and aspectists, or general people who seek to maintain the balance and protect nature.

- Gladiolus -

Worn by warriors, hunters and protectors. The equivalent of the fathers mark.

- Mandragora -

Worn by healers, doctors and caretakers. The equivalent of the mothers mark.

- Chrysanthemum -

Worn by tinkers, blacksmiths and those who work with any form of craftmanship.

- Bluestar -

Worn by sailors, fishermen and pirates.

- Mayflower -

Worn by those who have not yet found a true calling in life.

- Acacia -

Worn by those who have retired from their true calling.

Lesser Callings

- Allium -

Worn by kings, queens and anyone with a ‘royal’ status.

- Heather -

Worn by leaders.

- Freesia -

Under 20.

- Alcea -

20-50.

- Azalea -

50-500.

- Aster -

Elders, 500+

Family & Relationships

- Lily -

Worn by those who are not in a relationship.

- Carnation -

Worn by those who are in a relationship.

- Hibiscus -

Worn by those who are open to being flirted with and forming a new relationship. I believe this flower was created to allow the possibility of polyamory.

- Bellflower -

Worn by those who are not open to being flirted with and who do not want to start a new relationship.

- Gardenia -

Worn by parents. One flower is worn for each child someone has, allowing multiple of these to be in a pattern line.

- Lotus -

A sacred flower worn by pregnant mali. One who wears a lotus flower is expected to be given gifts and being celebrated.

Personality Traits

(These flowers and their meanings can be used in other areas of Tiva, but I most commonly use them for Tiva’lye)

- Anthurium -

Hospitable.

- Bird of Paradise -

Joyfulness.

- Peony -

Compassion.

- Calla Lilly -

Graceful.

- Daisy -

Faithful/Religious.

- Gerbera -

Hopefulness.

- Lavender -

Discreet and quiet.

- Iris -

Smart and intelligent.

- Lilac -

Confident.

- Larkspur -

Gentle.

- Protea -

Courage.

- Ranunculus -

Bravery.

- Statice -

Sympathy.

~ Tiva’annil ~

Image result for medieval art fantasy drawing someone giving flowers to someone

Tiva’annil is the branch of Tiva used for guiding people to a destination or to tell travellers of the area they’re in, possibly preventing them from walking into danger if they're observant enough to any carefully-placed flower wreaths. There is no specific pattern, as each flower is self-explanatory and when used alone it gives the message well. Flowers can be stranded and hung from trees, or even planted in significant abundance by the road.

Racial Specification 

- Dandelion -

Home of Elves

- Anemone -

Home of Dwarves

- Amaranth -

Home of Orcs

- Laceleaf -

Home of Humans

Hospitableness

- Daffodil -

Hung or planted at the entrances of homes that are hospitable and welcome visitors.

- Begonia -

Hung or planted at the entrances of homes that prefer living in solitude and do not like visitors.

Area Traits

- Calendula -

Placed in areas that bring death and danger. “Do not enter.” May be a cursed place.

- Cattail -

Placed in sacred areas belonging to the Aspects. Usually used for druid groves. Druids used to remember how to get to fae rings by planting or hanging cattails on trees in a path to it.

- Dahlia -

Used in areas with an abundance of animals, welcoming hunters to use it as their grounds.

transparent-background-divider-5.png

~ Tiva’illern ~

Related image

Tiva’illern is the most sacred branch of Tiva, holding the most important flowers denoting the Aspects. It is regularly used for worship, festivals, celebrations, and specific & notable events/occasions.

The Aspects

- Vervain -

Cerridwen, used in wreaths to honor the springmother and given as offerings.

- Snapdragon -

Cernunnos, used in wreaths to honor the huntsman and given as offerings.

The Seasons

- Helenium -

Autumn.

- Marigold -

Summer.

- Myosotis -

Winter.

- Golden columbine -

Spring.

Events

- Pansy -

Victory, used to celebrate winning in wars, etc.

- Cyclamen -

A flower used to mourn the dead.

- Magnolia -

Literally means ‘promise,' traditionally used in weddings.

- Zinnia -

Rememberance, used in memorials and celebration of things that no longer exist (perhaps stepped down leaders or fallen nations, separating it from Cyclamen.)

- Lathyrus -

Departure. Typically used for “going away parties.”

- Orange Bud -

A flower used that is believed to bring blessings from the Aspects and Mani. Used in worship festivals/rituals. If using in other branches of Tiva, it literally translates to “Blessings.”

- Pentas -

A flower used symbolizing duties in war and battle, used in abundance after severe loss in a battle has occured. Often found on the graves of fallen warriors.

- Rosebud -

“Birth.” In traditional elven societies, the birth of a baby was one of the most important celebrations, bringing every member of the Seed to praise the mali woman who was blessed with the rarity of pregnancy. Rosebuds were used as gifts after the childbirth and was used in these mentioned celebrations.

~ Saner’Tiva ~

Related image

Saner’tiva is the last chapter of Tiva. Literally translating to “To speak with Tiva,” in Mali, this section is used to give messages to people, and also contains specific words used to compliment the wreaths in all the previous sections. Most of the flowers are assigned a long message that is pre-made, however there are some specifics. Unfortunately, saner’tiva is mostly forgotten and the various specific words are impossible to remember and use as regularly and reliably as our ancestors once did.

Simple Messages & Gifts

- Linaria Bipartita -

“I love you.” Used as a gift for loved ones, typically an anniversary gift.

- Rue -

Repentance. The giver of a wreath using this flower has wronged the reciever, symbolising sincere repentance.

- Wild Hyacinths -

Gratitude and Thankfulness. Weaved into wreaths or baskets/boquets and given to someone who has given you a gift or done you a favor.

- Sweet Pea -

A flower given to someone to wish good luck and safe travels.

- Aconite -

A form of insult. Superstitious mali believed if one gave this on a wreath to someone or hung it near their house, it would bring them bad luck. Used for people you hate, or enemies.

Specific Words & Misc.

These are the loose flower meanings, few found after being scattered, they don’t quite fit into a much larger use but can be used to compliment wreaths and give small messages.

- Amaryllis -

Literally translates to “guidance.” This can be used as the Tiva equivalent of sayings such as “Aspects guide,” or “May the forest guide your path.”

- Poppy -

Dreams, imagination, or sleep.

- Orchid -

Rarity.

- Sunflower -

Friendship.

- Rose -

Respect.

- Magnolia -

Promise.

- Asphodelus -

Death.

- Baby’s Breath -

Innocence/babies.

- Oleander -

Maternal love.

- Pansy -

Victory.

- Clary -

Knowledge.

- Cornflower -

Growth.

~ Conclusion ~

Related image

The purpose of this book is to spread our culture, first and foremost. Secondly, I wish for all to use this sacred art that I have cherished over the years. It is simple to utilize Tiva in your daily lives – Simply look up at tiva’annil and plant a flower by your door saying you're hospitable or not hospitable, it’s as easy as that. Create boquets and wreaths, gifting them to your friends and loved ones. Explain to them the meaning of the flowers, once they find the meaning behind it they’ll understand the love and effort that put into the gift. 

Create a simple flower crown with the simple flowers in tiva’lye, not only does it hold meaning but it looks pretty, too. Encourage your children to learn this as a fun game so that when they grow they can hold onto the knowledge. 

If anybody has questions or needs assistance, do not hesitate to contact me. 

-~-

Written by Skylar Taliame’onn

The Rainbow Druid.

Niri’ath Csarathaire goes on a hunt to find Hibiscus...

Aneirin Ithelanen sneers at the Malinite traditions. “A Caerme’onn ploy no doubt; the harem must truly be running dry to attempt such degenerative measure.”

Moved to The Great Library. It shall be sorted into the appropriate category shortly.

If you feel this is a mistake, please contact myself or any FM and we'll restore it.