witches, shamans, and ghouls - oh my!

giphy.gif

greetings everyone, luv here!

ย 

so iโ€™ve noticed lots of talk across the forums, various discords, etc that people are unhappy with the villainy rp, specifically dark magic, as of lately on the server. i have been spending some time gathering people of various different communities, primarily blood magic, to help fix this issue and to hopefully provide some enjoyable rp for all of you!ย 

ย 

please leave your problems with the current state of dark magic villainy, suggestions, comments, questions, etc down below! iโ€™d love to hear from everyone regardless of the community you primarily play in as i feel like everyoneโ€™s opinion can prove useful moving forward. thank you and try to keep it respectful, please!

ย 

ย 

Hot take: Morghuuls were great when people knew how to rp them right, but then they got flooded with PvP degenerates and splice of lifers who ruined them

As someone new to the darker side of magic, I have noticed that for so many people, defaulting to pvp rather than face a powerful dark mage is always the go-to. I suppose it is allowed and I shouldnโ€™t complain, but if you poke a bear, should you not expect it to fight back? It just doesnโ€™t make sense for you not to simply fight rply, instead of pvping because ooc-ly you know youโ€™ll haveย  the upper hand.

ย 

C5E4.gif

4 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Hot take: Morghuuls were great when people knew how to rp them right, but then they got flooded with PvP degenerates and splice of lifers who ruined them

i remember the pet ghoul in cloud temple.

With almost everyone wanting to be a protagonist, at least from my point of view, itโ€™s good to play a component villain for them to fight. Itโ€™s actually quite fun!

You cant play as aย villain in LOTC through dark magic, any semblance of villainy you invoke upon someone else is replied with โ€œPvP Defaultโ€, so the only functional villains in LOTC are the bandits, who appear to be more of a threat and more powerful due to being able to click with a mouse faster, meanwhile all effort and time your character has spentย learning of occultism and things that in theory, if we had actual Dynamic RP, would make them far superior to their peers, gets thrown aside as their whole progress is ignored and not put to use, as they become another blocky character that is taken out by ANYONE, with absolute ease, after a few hits.

ย 

>Ultra Powerful Dark Mage attacks Halfling Toddler

>Toddler has great pvp skill OOC although they never touched a weapon IRP, calls pvp default, beats Dark Mage without a problem

ย 

If the server is meant to be a RP one, and not factions, more care should be put to solve things like this, else we just get more and more goons who are interested in pvp than rp.

ย 

Edited by Yen

I havenโ€™t seen a dark mage since athera

2 hours ago, Archbishop said:

i remember the pet ghoul in cloud temple.

Please donโ€™t, just forget about itย 

Hereโ€™s my hot take on the aforementioned โ€œstop pvping us pls ;*(โ€ stance โ€“ if you wish to play a villain people will respect, rather than roll their eyes at and call PvP the moment you roll up to them, you should:

ย 

• Become involved in the political scene ofย LotC, rather than shun it. Seriously, Iโ€™ve encountered so manyย people who wear their ignorance as a badge of honor. Makeย an effort to be presentable within the established communities rather than spendย your time badmouthing [insert nation here] on the merit of [insert vague goon or clique-related critique here] while hiding in an edgy death castle charter god knows where. Make an effort to get yourself acquainted with the political goings of the server, and communities other than your evil dark mage evil coven of evil. Not only will it improve your experience, but it will also provide you with excellent opportunities for infiltration and subversion thatย willย be dealt with in RP.

ย 

• Do away with the โ€œspiteful witchโ€ stereotypes. Understand that cooperative and dynamic RP goes both ways, and using your OP god-tier dark magicks to wipe the floor with whatever hapless soul looks your way the wrong way that day is neither fun nor good villainy RP. Messing with people who do not engage with you doesnโ€™t provide either party with a worthwhile experience. If youโ€™re a frost witchย and some dude takes your bait, or if youโ€™re a powerful necromancer and a group of wannabe heroes stands in your way, understand that itโ€™s a scenario both sides gave their consent and dedication to, compared to ruining a random bystanderโ€™s life just because youโ€™re an evil, quirky, bitchy mage. Youย willย get PvPed. I would PvP you if you tried exploding my head with blood magic because I accidentally offended you. At the very least, if you must do this, provide your victim with a way of fighting back or retreating with minor consequences.

ย 

• Understand that having said OP god-tier dark magicks doesnโ€™t make you a superior person. Youโ€™re not entitled to winning just because you think you should be feared in RP, or because youโ€™ve spent months studying mineman lore. Planning a fun experience for everyone involved should be a priority, rather than flaunting your MAs.

ย 

• Understand that consequences apply to yourself as well, and not only to your victims. When was the last time anybody heard of a Naztherak user PKing? Why do dark mages insist on bullyingย RP spots where theyโ€™d been dealt with already? At the very least, if youโ€™re unwilling to PK your character or roleplay the same consequences you expect your victims to endure, you should know when enough is enough and donโ€™t return to a place where youโ€™ve been executed or defeated in a fight.

The thing that I hate the most on the dark mages is the constant seeking for power due to some stupid reason that is used as an excuse for being a godlike character. Of course Iโ€™ll PvP that kind of shitter, I donโ€™t want to fight a kid that has a god complex that thinks he can solo 5 players with his superย magic. Iโ€™ll never accept roleplaying seriously with this kind of person. If anything about people wanting to be an antagonist or kill players as a dark mage, they should roleplay it in a reasonable way instead of being a power creep or else I find it really hard to take them seriously.

ย 

Being a powerful dark mage like 99% of the mages or dark mages doesnโ€™t makes up for a dynamic roleplay experience most of the time because youโ€™ll be simply overpowered and annihilated by his hentai tentacles with no chance of resistance or survival because heโ€™s โ€œtoo powerful for you weak lesser kickstarter loser non-immortal peasantโ€

How dare you associate shamanism with dark magic

ย 

foul!

ย 

Shame!

Honestly don't give dark magic to edgies or people who want to be special snowflakes. Don't let people ask OOCly and don't agree to teach them OOCly, let it be done in rp. A lot of the issue is just that the magic is being given to the wrong people who are super edgy and cringe inducing tbh.ย 

Everyone wants to be the main character. Everyone wants to be the most powerful. Collecting magic, collecting all the wards and enchantments to make yourself invincible. A good antagonist should need none of those, the best of them can undo his oppressors with only his mind. Roleplay is about self sacrifice, you have to give a portion of yourself, or your character to others, so that a story can properly flow, and not just do *laughs as he walks away* like some anime character. The lack of serious role-play stains dark mages, which are unable to properly release a sense of mystery, or depth to their work, rather simply casting something with no spirituality or intricate beliefs behind them. A weak character is a beautiful character. A diseased character is a strong character. Itโ€™s up to you to find the strength to come out of your comfort zone.ย 

Theyโ€™ll always have the same degenerates with the same problems, no matter what you do.ย And necromancy is now dead because of it.

I mean Iโ€™ll speak from more a villany prospective and on this server there are two types of people who do villany โ€œIโ€™ll defeat you with my superior clicksโ€ or โ€œIโ€™ll defeat you with my several powerful MAs.โ€ Both are based on the inherent need to win above all else. Donโ€™t do this. You are a villain. In any good story you are supposed to lose, you arenโ€™t supposed to be the one living up in a mansion in the hills after you retire. This is my hot take. Villains should be more willing to lose than anyone on this server, and if you lose you should deal with the consequences. This doesnโ€™t mean you need to PK but you should stop doing villainy rp in the same spot, and do not do this across multiple characters in a short period of time, this makes you a villain to the settlement OOCly which is what we should avoid.

ย 

There are so many ways of avoiding to be a bad villain in general and it isnโ€™t exclusive to dark mages, but the power of dark mages can lead to bad Villains.